Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Are we strong enough?

Koeman's got a very dubious record outside of Holland.

It's easy to say they would've gone anyway - but where's the contingency plan? Tadic, Pelle & Bertrand have come in and no-one else. The season kicks off in 15 days (16 for them). Do you really think they'll chuck together a side that'll be nearly as good as last years in that time? I don't. I think we'll finish in a similar position to them.

Did alright for Benfica, but Ajax, PSV & Feyenoord are probably the three best teams in Holland, probably better or on par with Southampton. 

Sometimes whatever you do, you can't keep your best players, Lovren, Lallana & Schneiderlin were always going to make a step up whether it was this season or next season, so Southampton were probably planning life without those three in particular sooner rather than later. As I said though, losing Chambers & Shaw so early in their careers, is the massive blow, so much potential in both, one good season for them both & they are instantly snapped up. Same applies in the past with Oxlade-Chamberlain & Walcott, Southampton are used to losing their best young players after a season or two. Same will probably happen with Ward-Prowse, if he plays regularly & stands out this season. 

Koeman said yesterday he is close to signing 3-4 more players, more than likely they won't be good as last year, but I don't see them as relegation candidates.

So you didn't trust him last year and your questioning his team this year ...

patience-yoda-300x213.jpg

Read it again.

I said I didn't trust him last year but feel like I should this year due to last year. That said, IMO, I just feel we lack some signings.

But as per original statement, I know I must trust him!

There are questions marks over every player because we've had none prove themselves in this league. I'm happy with Wes, Moore and RDL in the squad. But with the four below I believe there are bigger questions marks due to age, or inexperience.

Schlupp - Striker turned left back, very little experience

Konchesky - Deemed not good enough for the prem 2/3 seasons ago. Made lots of individual errors that got punished even in the champ.

Upson - Not deemed good enough for the prem 2 seasons ago.

Was - Aging defender who I was less than convinced with half the time in the championship

Now as far as squad goes I'd be happy with one of Schlupp and Konch for left back, and one of Upson and Was for centre back. Having all four worries me.

It’s not a question of whether any of our players has ‘proved themselves’ or is of ‘premiership quality’. Both of those phrases are meaningless.

We are not a collection of individuals, but a squad.  Anyone who watched us last season  should be able to make an intelligent assessment about whether or not that squad would be able to be successful at a higher level – regardless of which individuals have ‘proved themselves’ or is “good enough”.

The PL isn’t a magical land where different rules apply, and players need to undergo some weird rites-of-passage ceremony to ‘prove themselves’. It’s just a higher standard of football.  All the things that Pearson prizes in a player (work ethic, team spirit, discipline etc) still apply. So having absolutely trounced the Championship last season it makes no sense to make massive changes to the squad.

So chillax.

No is the simple answer.

This is a forum it's based on opinions, I think people on here tend to overate some of our players and nationally many underrate a lot. We do have qualities and will surprise a few.

We still need some proven Premiership class, we may have enough to stay up but the defence is weak. Left back is the main shock that he hasn't strengthened. I also think people on here seem to rate De Laet I'm far from convinced at top level and he has zero back up for him. (Moore and Wasyl both CB's.)

I'd do a bit more business yet and I think he will do.

Yeah I think we'll survive with what we've got based on current confidence, togetherness, goals, mentality and management.

Won't be enough every season though so we certainly need to improve at the back next summer and beyond.

People talk about team spirit like it means no one with top class ability or on top money can be a team player.

I'd like to see Pearson get hold of a few players who have failed to produce what they promised due to various reasons such as Mark Davies, Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair, Ravel Morrison.

People talk about team spirit like it means no one with top class ability or on top money can be a team player.

I'd like to see Pearson get hold of a few players who have failed to produce what they promised due to various reasons such as Mark Davies, Micah Richards, Scott Sinclair, Ravel Morrison.

Won't be getting Ravel Morrison lol as he's in prison

What has mark Davies done since the loan spell with us?

Do you think we could afford the wages that Sinclair and Richards will want?

It’s not a question of whether any of our players has ‘proved themselves’ or is of ‘premiership quality’. Both of those phrases are meaningless.

We are not a collection of individuals, but a squad. Anyone who watched us last season should be able to make an intelligent assessment about whether or not that squad would be able to be successful at a higher level – regardless of which individuals have ‘proved themselves’ or is “good enough”.

The PL isn’t a magical land where different rules apply, and players need to undergo some weird rites-of-passage ceremony to ‘prove themselves’. It’s just a higher standard of football. All the things that Pearson prizes in a player (work ethic, team spirit, discipline etc) still apply. So having absolutely trounced the Championship last season it makes no sense to make massive changes to the squad.

So chillax.

it's not meaningless in the context it was used. All players will have a question mark over them until they prove they can do it at that level. That's pretty basic common sense.

The rest if your post is just a lot of words with nothing relating to the post you quoted.

Who said massive changes? I listed about three changes.

Are we strong enough? YES!

My only concern is the tough start doesn't knock the teams confidence and also hope the fans don't get on the managers back.

Feel it will take a few games to realise the step up, especially with our opening fixtures.

Are we strong enough? YES!

My only concern is the tough start doesn't knock the teams confidence and also hope the fans don't get on the managers back.

Feel it will take a few games to realise the step up, especially with our opening fixtures.

The fans who will be on the manager's back after five games, including facing four of the top 7, all of whom have added players worth £28 million or more, will be supporters who aren't Pearson's biggest fans before this season.

Look at the bookies odds again..

We remain third favourites for relegation, after Burnley and QPR.

That suggests, to me, that we've not done enough, in terms of signings, to push us nearer to Villa, West Brom and the like.

Whether this is something the bookies typically do each season ie. Make the promoted teams favourites for relegation, I don't know? But how things stand NOW, we are third faves for the drop.

Personally, I think Villa could really struggle. And West Ham too.

The fact they've put everyone in the league down as 'unlikely to get relegated' this season shows that they don't trust their predictions themselves.

I'm just not sure why you keep referring to betting sites when the message they keep coming out with is "erm, we've made a rough guess but we're not really sure."

I think it's pretty clear, looking at our lack of signings and which players are assigned to certain shirt numbers (Hammond is still #7) shows that Pearson has a lot of confidence in the squad and is certain that this team is good enough for the prem; or he just seems that also he doesn't want to team spirit to dilute by adding more additions to the squad. Whether I agree is debatable, but if Pearson is going by this approach again like last season... Then it's clear he thinks it's strong enough.

But personally, I'd urgently add a back up RB, as this is the only position where we have only one player that plays in that position. And a CB and DM.

The general consensus is that we need both a left back and a centre mid, I would agree. We are very weak in the centre of the park and feel we may get bullied off the ball and get beat in the air.

A tall, strong, ball winner in the middle is a must for me but I suppose every team would want one of those, right?

Are you being serious? 

The fact they've put everyone in the league down as 'unlikely to get relegated' this season shows that they don't trust their predictions themselves.

I'm just not sure why you keep referring to betting sites when the message they keep coming out with is "erm, we've made a rough guess but we're not really sure."

It's just another way of looking at it. Anyone on here can have an opinion on whether we are strong enough, but based on what? The bookies will analyse, do their various algorithms etc etc.

You are right though. The odds on us going down are longer than those on us staying up. There are no clear favourites for the bottom three.

The Squad positions are almost setup right considering our new entry to the prem and we are set for an interesting and sometimes heart breaking season, we all know that. I can't imagine how hard it must be to convince the quality you really desire for your team to gamble on you and join. It certainly can't be easy.

The right back position was raised as an area in need of support and atm I'd agree, with only one natural player there in de Laet who is an older head than most I think we'd go for a loan there to be fair, court a top(ish) end team to lend us a young player and see how they compete.

CB is difficult, I don't know if we should be panicking yet or not. My honest opinion is that if we were going to splash the cash on any position now (as a personal opinion and preference) it would be here, I'm a believer in building from the back but I think once we see how the Morgan/other 3 options work out it will be a late buy.

LB... get someone in, someone who can pass, cos Konch was a ruddy liability last season when watching on the old goggle box, to wayward with our passing this season and we will be in for it again and again.

A natural LW... Yeah, probably, but I'd be panicking about this in January and giving the boyz  we have a shout first, they all have the ability or at least the potential.

Mid... January as well, same as above or even loan.

Attack... Again, all the potential is there, I think we have some naturally gifted players that deserve a chance, if not then see if Wickham is worth a loan on an offer of a January transfer, but at the minute we have strikers that could do a job. I dunno about you but I'm looking forward to Vardy running about and carving through defences and seeing quite how good he is...

So that's my 2c worth, defence is my main worry, the rest deserve a run out to see how they do and then take stock in both the loan and January markets.

Too many wearers of the blue tinted specs on here as usual. Blinkered & still riding on the wave of last season. 

Plain to see we are 5-6 signings short. Weak spots for all to see.

Those happy with Schlupp (for instance) obviously weren't sitting in my seat at THAT game at Vicarage Rd last season where we was ripped to shreds through the whole game. Nothing has changed going by what I've seen on pre-season. 

Major problems still for me. 

Championship mentality will be Nige's downfall. 

Too many wearers of the blue tinted specs on here as usual. Blinkered & still riding on the wave of last season.

Plain to see we are 5-6 signings short. Weak spots for all to see.

Those happy with Schlupp (for instance) obviously weren't sitting in my seat at THAT game at Vicarage Rd last season where we was ripped to shreds through the whole game. Nothing has changed going by what I've seen on pre-season.

Major problems still for me.

Championship mentality will be Nige's downfall.

You mean that game at Vicarage Road last season where we won 3-0?

Archived