Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Are we strong enough?

He never did though. Take the specs off mate.

No room for sentimentality next season.

Well he did - at the tail-end of the play-off season he was clearly a striker pushed there out of necessity rather than a player who could also play left-back. Over the past season he's developed into a decent left-back - so much so that he was in a world cup preliminary squad (i.e. judged to be one of the best 30 players Ghana had to offer). Is he ready for the prem? Perhaps not, he's still very raw, but to suggest he's not improved even the slightest over the last season is absurd. Of course, you're a deluded troll so you would think that, but still...

Think about it in terms of how we compare with the O'Neill side on promotion.

I don't think any of our defenders had top flight experience.  We had excellent championship centre backs in Walsh and Taggart.  We signed Elliott from the third tier.

In midfield we had experienced head Garry Parker and some talented youngsters in Izzet, Lennon and Savage.

Up front we had journeyman striker Claridge, youngster Heskey and old-timer Cottee.

In goal we signed journeyman football league player Keller.

This time we have excellent Championship CB Morgan, talented youngster Moore, ageing international Waso, experienced head Upson.

In midfield we have talented youngsters in King, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert and Mahrez.

Upfront we have excellent Championship striker Ulloa and Nugent (with some PL experience), talented unknown Vardy, excellent Championship striker Wood and old head GTS.

In goal we have highly rated Schmeichel.

Personally I think we are stronger this time.

Its a good argument u make. But I worry that the gap between the two divisions has grown since o'neill's day

Having watched this today I'm thinking we definitely need more signings. Not many just one or two, preferably with premier league experience. It's the defence that worries me, Kasper likes to be the hero, and as today shows sometimes that can go tits up and we like to switch off at times at the back.

We've got to get used to the fact that were now very small fish in a very big pond. We aren't going to be able to beat anybody's competition for a player like we could in the championship, we have to deal with the fact that there are 17 other teams in this country who a player would rather join than us (I.e cresswell, Campbell) and we have to adapt our strategy to do that.

I actually agree with ASS, other then schlump stuff. We are still a very good champoinship team, and lack experience, skill and depth in our squad to compete in a very tough prem league

Me too, I'm afraid. Strength in depth is something we don't have, and in the Premiership it could be fatal.

People are talking about strength in depth, and I have to agree, quality in reserve is our biggest problem.

I think the starting 11 are good enough to compete, and probably 2 or 3 subs that are good enough, but if we get injuries to any of them, we are going to struggle, like to see a decent cover for right back, a decent cover for midfield, and if a decent striker becomes available, I would take him, but up front we should be ok.

The problem is that whoever we want to sign we will be competing against bigger teams who can offer bigger wages

Palace did ok with a bunch of championship standard players last season

This ^ we will struggle to sign quality with PL experience.

Strange as it sounds this is probably turning out to be one of Pearson's hardest and most frustrating transfer windows.

Totally agree and I posted something similar in another thread. I think John Percy was right when he said there was a 30k a week cap and I reckon that's ****ed Nigey right up as that's small fry in this league. The prob he's got is that current prem footballers will expect more than 30k and so from a wages point of view we're looking at top Championship players but clubs are asking ridiculous prices for contracted players - which means, as you say, it's actually harder than when we were in the Champ. His best bet is prob to look at Europe but then for every decent player there are prob 4 or 5 prem clubs in for him all offering more money. I think he'll have to go down the loan route.

*Oops. Didn't see post directly above!

I think people are underestimating how tough it is to get players in that are significantly better than our current squad. We want established Premier League players, right? But honestly, why would you leave Southampton, Stoke, Crystal Palace, West Ham for us now? They will probably finish above us this season. We are not a big fish in a smaller pond any more, we don't have the clout to tempt players from those types of clubs.

It is easier in the Championship. We have the ability to challenge for promotion, we can attract Nugent from Portsmouth, Morgan from Forest, Drinkwater from Barnsley, Wood from Millwall (I know the last two are loans but if they had a choice we'd be clear front runners). We should finish above those teams, we can pay bigger salaries. Currently, we will struggle to tempt players from mid-table.

I think Pearson will go to the loan market but I could imagine he's finding it tough to recruit better quality players.

So which amazing players do people think we will be able to sign without competition from bigger teams willing to pay more money than us?

I can't see anyone saying we need to sign any amazing players, can you?.

What I have said, and others is we need more strength in depth, buy better than we have in the squad, no ones saying we want to buy messi, but we could get better than Hammond, and the likes, so if we do get injuries we have cover that is good enough.

No need for sarcasm, but we have a small squad, which some won't be good enough, and then if injuries affect us, with what we have at present we could be in the shit.

I am sure the club are trying to recruit, and I have no doubt we will bring somebody in, but if we don't we have nobody to blame but ourselves if we are short through injuries.

And to your comment, only Pearson knows who he wants, and I'm sure all of his targets will not be taken by top clubs, but we might not be willing to pay their wages.

I have utmost confidence in NP and the squad to at least remain in the Premier League.

We started our original PL journey as totally unfancied and finished in the top 10 four seasons in a row, with a fairly rookie manager and inexperienced players without breaking the bank. You could count on two hands the number of clubs who have achieved that feat in Premier League history.

This squad is clearly together as a unit after their experiences at Watford and last season. NP has been here a while in both spells and had great success. Team spirit, determination and togetherness wins. You only have to look at Costa Rica's performance in the world cup for inspiration. And many examples of large clubs blowing silly money on hasbeens, Spurs last season the most recent example, with Hull proving doubters wrong massively and making a 2-0 lead in the cup final. They were built by an experienced manager, and as an ex-defender similar to NP in his philosophy of remaining solid and organised in defence first and foremost. We were very attacking last season of course, but I can assure you we will have to play much more defensively minded in the PL, especially away from home.

We will be fine and cause a few surprises. Excuse the wikipedia article but it summed it up pretty well:

'Most observers had tipped Leicester for an immediate return to Division One, so Martin O'Neill's ultimate task for this season was to achieve survival for Leicester City. Top flight survival was achieved – for the first time in 11 years – but ninth place in the final table was an excellent finish for a relatively young side who had been tipped for relegation by so many outsiders. The season was capped by a victory over Middlesbrough in the Coca-Cola Cup – Leicester's first major trophy for 33 years – which was their passport to the following season's UEFA Cup' (Wikipedia).

Sorry to go off topic but that has got to be one of the most amazing achievements in the history of the club. The aim at the start of that season was to stay up - to finish in the top half and win a cup as well with that squad was beyond belief.

Agree we need strength in depth :

- a couple more signings at the back (LB, RB)

- move De laet into right midfield option

- Wide crosses into Ulloa (watch his goals most have come this way)

- Nuge in advanced n10 role to feed of Ulloa

- Mahreaz and Albrighton feeding the frontmen

- Knocky and Vardy as super subs 

we should do well !

Agree we need strength in depth :

- a couple more signings at the back (LB, RB)

- move De laet into right midfield option

- Wide crosses into Ulloa (watch his goals most have come this way)

- Nuge in advanced n10 role to feed of Ulloa

- Mahreaz and Albrighton feeding the frontmen

- Knocky and Vardy as super subs

we should do well !

I want Vardy to start but I can see him being used as a sub more

Archived