Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Are we strong enough?

I don't understand the clamouring for a new left-back or centre back: at left-back we've got either an experienced pro in Konch, or a player who missed out on the WC by the skin of his teeth in Schlupp, and at Centre-back we've got two internationals, one with CL experience in Upson and Was, one of the brightest young centre-backs around in Liam Moore and a player whose had a great couple of years in Wes.

There are big question marks over all of them, that's why. Certainly more so that other positions.

Yes I think so.

Historically sides who achieve 100+ points go onto have very good seasons in the flight afterwards (Reading/Newcastle) and that was also an era when the top flight was a lot stronger. We've made a few shrewd additions and our better players are the younger ones who are likely to get better.

Look at the bookies odds again..

We remain third favourites for relegation, after Burnley and QPR.

That suggests, to me, that we've not done enough, in terms of signings, to push us nearer to Villa, West Brom and the like.

Whether this is something the bookies typically do each season ie. Make the promoted teams favourites for relegation, I don't know? But how things stand NOW, we are third faves for the drop.

Personally, I think Villa could really struggle. And West Ham too.

If anything at this moment I'm more concerned with how open we are defensively than I am about the quality of the players. I think that's in large down to our style of play and formation more than how good they all are or aren't. That is what puts the question marks over all the defenders I think.

There are big question marks over all of them, that's why. Certainly more so that other positions.

I'd disagree about there being question marks over any of them - the centre backs aren't the quickest, but that's not really a problem: look at what we had under MON - Walsh - Taggart - Elliott. None of those were particularly pacey.

That suggests, to me, that we've not done enough, in terms of signings, to push us nearer to Villa, West Brom and the like.

Whether this is something the bookies typically do each season ie. Make the promoted teams favourites for relegation, I don't know? But how things stand NOW, we are third faves for the drop.

The bookies always make the promoted teams favourites unless they're big sides returning (like Newcastle a few years ago) - they have nothing to do with the strength of our squad - people bet on reputation more than squad quality, certainly when it comes to newly-promoted teams. Reading into bookies odds is about as useful for determining the strength of our squad as a tarot card reading

Even though weaker squads stayed in the prem last season?

Barely any of our players have played in the Premier league, how do we know we are stronger than those teams? We don't.

Nor do we know if we are weaker.

My opinion is that the current squad will struggle. Just a prediction.

But the bookies have us at 5/2 to go down and 2/7 to stay up as well, which means despite us being third favourites to go down they also say when compiling their odds that it's far more likely that wil we will survive than go down. The only team they have as more likely to go down than stay up is Burnley who are 1/2 for the drop.

The bookies also had Crystal Palace at 1/7 to go down last season, with Hull as second favourites. They also had us around 6th/7th place in the betting last season with QPR as favourites and we won the league by a mile.

The defence will come under so much more pressure next season, and unless we strengthen it, it will be our "Achilles Heel" The left back situation at the moment looks extremely worrying, imo. Most of the opposition will discover the flaws in our defence, and punish us severely. It seems a shame, as up front we don't look too bad at all. It would be most disappointing, if all their good work was to no avail, due to a leaky defence.

Of course, all of the above is supposition, but it's not wild supposition.

We need a well balanced side that can make serious impression, in establishing ourselves in the Premiership. We have the bricks, but not enough cement!

I'd disagree about there being question marks over any of them - the centre backs aren't the quickest, but that's not really a problem: look at what we had under MON - Walsh - Taggart - Elliott. None of those were particularly pacey.

There are questions marks over every player because we've had none prove themselves in this league. I'm happy with Wes, Moore and RDL in the squad. But with the four below I believe there are bigger questions marks due to age, or inexperience.

Schlupp - Striker turned left back, very little experience

Konchesky - Deemed not good enough for the prem 2/3 seasons ago. Made lots of individual errors that got punished even in the champ.

Upson - Not deemed good enough for the prem 2 seasons ago.

Was - Aging defender who I was less than convinced with half the time in the championship

Now as far as squad goes I'd be happy with one of Schlupp and Konch for left back, and one of Upson and Was for centre back. Having all four worries me.

Now I'm really nervous about our defence. They weren't even that solid last year, we conceded some absolutely awful goals. And headers. We have 2 brick walls that cant run, PL experience that cant run and De Laet, who can run but not defend.

There are questions marks over every player because we've had none prove themselves in this league. I'm happy with Wes, Moore and RDL in the squad. But with the four below I believe there are bigger questions marks due to age, or inexperience.

Schlupp - Striker turned left back, very little experience

Konchesky - Deemed not good enough for the prem 2/3 seasons ago. Made lots of individual errors that got punished even in the champ.

Upson - Not deemed good enough for the prem 2 seasons ago.

Was - Aging defender who I was less than convinced with half the time in the championship

Now as far as squad goes I'd be happy with one of Schlupp and Konch for left back, and one of Upson and Was for centre back. Having all four worries me.

He played half a season and was convincing enough to make the preliminary world cup squad

Deemed not good enough for Liverpool - a european chasing side: massive difference to not being good enough for 17th or above: which is what we're aiming for

Also one of the best defenders in the championship last season and a solid player for 4th choice.

Now I wouldn't say he's unconvincing. I wouldn't be comfortable with him covering at right back - but that's why right back is a more important position right now than CB or LB.

They will sign more quality players, they have money to play with, can still them being strong this season, if the team gels. 

They're going to have a complete new spine to their team, as well as a new manager. They'll do well to be anywhere near the level they were last season. Particuarly as a few probably don't want to be there.

He played half a season and was convincing enough to make the preliminary world cup squad

But he didn't make the squad, he got ripped a new on and let go by a team who have no real left backs.

Deemed not good enough for Liverpool - a european chasing side: massive difference to not being good enough for 17th or above: which is what we're aiming for

Nobody else has rushed to sign him have they?

Also one of the best defenders in the championship last season and a solid player for 4th choice.

Yes good in the champ, bad in the prem last time he was there.

As I said, I'm not saying they all won't work, but I'd rather not have all 4 of them that's too many big question marks for me personally. I think we'll end up signing another right back/CB type player who can cover both positions and go with what we have at left back.

Personally I would have released Konch and Was and gone for some younger options, or just not signed Upson and kept Was with another CB coming in.

Same with GTF, I would have preferred he was released and we added someone else.

So far the squad only feels ever so slightly better than it did last year. Vardy and Nuge look like they could end up starting up front again, Albrighton might edge ahead of Knocky or Mahrez and the defence looks like it's going to start where we left off. That doesn't really feel like we've improved a single area where we showed weaknesses last year.

11. Leicester City

Today's Daily Telegraph gives a run down on all PL teams, here's us:

Skill: 
Signings: 6 
Intrigue: 
Manager: 6 
Kit: 8 
Total: 30

A prediction: despite having relatively few players with Premier League experience, Leicester will enjoy a staggeringly assured start to the season, which by Christmas will see at least one over-excitable pundit mentioning Nigel Pearson as a candidate for the England job and at least one overexcited blogger asking whether 4-4-2 is back in fashion. There has been little of the summer panic and agents’ feeding frenzy that normally characterises the newly promoted Championship club, with Marc Albrighton and Leonardo Ulloa (pictured) the headline signings. Elsewhere, it’s simply business as usual, which is enough to make Leicester something of a novelty in these entropic times.

Picture: PA

They're going to have a complete new spine to their team, as well as a new manager. They'll do well to be anywhere near the level they were last season. Particuarly as a few probably don't want to be there.

That's a big 'if' though isn't it really.

We will see, they have appointed a good manager in Koeman, and I think his name alone will attract players.

Is a big if, losing Chambers & Shaw so early in their careers is pretty damaging, but to be honest Lovren, Lallana & Lambert would of probably gone anyway, as well as Schneiderlin.

Think Ward-Prowse will step up this season, think he will be one the stand out youngsters in the Prem, while Tadic is a terrific signing, could get assists galore, as well as a few goals.

We will see, they have appointed a good manager in Koeman, and I think his name alone will attract players.

Is a big if, losing Chambers & Shaw so early in their careers is pretty damaging, but to be honest Lovren, Lallana & Lambert would of probably gone anyway, as well as Schneiderlin.

Think Ward-Prowse will step up this season, think he will be one the stand out youngsters in the Prem, while Tadic is a terrific signing, could get assists galore, as well as a few goals.

Koeman's got a very dubious record outside of Holland.

It's easy to say they would've gone anyway - but where's the contingency plan? Tadic, Pelle & Bertrand have come in and no-one else. The season kicks off in 15 days (16 for them). Do you really think they'll chuck together a side that'll be nearly as good as last years in that time? I don't. I think we'll finish in a similar position to them.

If Koeman thinks throwing a load of players from the Eridivisie will make a top side over here he is doomed to failure. He nearly ruined Valencia completely underestimating the strength of La Liga, wouldn't surprise me if he made the same mistake twice.

He's also in that terrible position where he'll have to pay 50% more for any player he wants as the whole World knows how much money Soton have and know they are desperate for players.

I think this year more than last year it's going to come down to our team and individual spirit. We'll most likely come out of the first 7 or so games, unless we pull off some exquisite performances, needing to catch up.Saying that, if they can come out with their heads up, then we could shoot up the table, especially with our last few fixtures.

However we could also easily be in for a very tough season if we can't get it together in time. Playing catch up could have any effect on a team (e.g. Sunderland last year).Excited for it though, we could really finish anywhere between 10th-20th.    

Archived