Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Are we strong enough?

We are stronger than sides which have been relegated, but are also weaker than others who have faced the same fate.

I take it by 'strong' you mean 'a player with a good reputation'?

There is more to it than just technical ability. The ability of your manager to make the correct changes for example can earn you points alone (Just look at chelsea at anfield last season, outplayed for 89 minutes but won 2-0.

We have youth and a unpredictability on our side. Reading these boards I must be the only one who has the attitude of 'whatever will be will be' this season. I don't mind if we get relegated as long as we show progress (which is actually possible even during a relegation season).

We are stronger than sides which have been relegated, but are also weaker than others who have faced the same fate.

I take it by 'strong' you mean 'a player with a good reputation'?

There is more to it than just technical ability. The ability of your manager to make the correct changes for example can earn you points alone (Just look at chelsea at anfield last season, outplayed for 89 minutes but won 2-0.

We have youth and a unpredictability on our side. Reading these boards I must be the only one who has the attitude of 'whatever will be will be' this season. I don't mind if we get relegated as long as we show progress (which is actually possible even during a relegation season).

Bizarre post. 

I think we'd probably be okay based on what we have now, but I'd really like to see us strengthen at the back, particularly LB. I'm surprised that, apart from Cresswell, we've not really been linked with anyone there given that we have an inexperienced former striker and an ageing Konchesky as our options there.

Another CM would be nice too as I'm not that comfortable with King and Hammond as 3rd and 4th choice, especially when we may have to resort to 3 in the middle this season.

I'm sure Nigel will get us sorted, but I do think we've found it more difficult than expected to bring players in. It's just part of the league that we're in that we may have to throw some more money around to get our targets.

it's not meaningless in the context it was used. All players will have a question mark over them until they prove they can do it at that level. That's pretty basic common sense.

The rest if your post is just a lot of words with nothing relating to the post you quoted.

Who said massive changes? I listed about three changes.

So you're saying there are question marks over all of our players - but you don't want the majority of them replaced?

That's just a politician's answer which covers all bases without actually answering the question.

Get your balls off the fence! Are we strong enough or not?

I say YES. You're saying yes and no.

So you're saying there are question marks over all of our players - but you don't want the majority of them replaced?

That's just a politician's answer which covers all bases without actually answering the question.

Get your balls off the fence! Are we strong enough or not?

I say YES. You're saying yes and no.

Well..yes ...and no...

lol

Don't worry Dean Hammond expects us to bring more players in

ammond knows how competitive it can be in the City camp. The 31-year-old was utilised mainly, but effectively, as a substitute last season due to the excellent performances of Matty James and Danny Drinkwater.

"You need competition for places, you need it within the whole group," said Hammond.

"I expect there will be more players coming in and there is competition every day in training. But that improves you as a player."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-players-facing-real-competition/story-22052328-detail/story.html?#ixzz39DmnovTV
Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-players-facing-real-competition/story-22052328-detail/story.html?#wMDuQGHDXYXqPX7L.99

At the moment no.

Our recruitment has been pretty underwhelming and the step up is a lot bigger than many seem to think it will be. If we can keep our top 14 players fit for the entire season we might have a chance of staying up but lose say Drinkwater and James for any length of time and we are going to be in big trouble.

I'm not at all convinced by our defence either. We are very short of pace in the centre of it and not especially commanding in the air. I can see us having to defend pretty deep to counter this lack of pace in the middle.

With another 2 or 3 good quality signings we could be ok and there's still time to get them.

Think about it in terms of how we compare with the O'Neill side on promotion.

I don't think any of our defenders had top flight experience. We had excellent championship centre backs in Walsh and Taggart. We signed Elliott from the third tier.

In midfield we had experienced head Garry Parker and some talented youngsters in Izzet, Lennon and Savage.

Up front we had journeyman striker Claridge, youngster Heskey and old-timer Cottee.

In goal we signed journeyman football league player Keller.

This time we have excellent Championship CB Morgan, talented youngster Moore, ageing international Waso, experienced head Upson.

In midfield we have talented youngsters in King, Drinkwater, James, Knockaert and Mahrez.

Upfront we have excellent Championship striker Ulloa and Nugent (with some PL experience), talented unknown Vardy, excellent Championship striker Wood and old head GTS.

In goal we have highly rated Schmeichel.

Personally I think we are stronger this time.

I agree with this. I think GTF and Hammond bring a lot of exp. to the squad off the pitch for some of the younger players. I can see then featuring to kill games off more this season. GTF looking good in pre season and had a great season for bpool in the prem.

it's going to be a tough season and fans will need to be patient but I reckon we have a good chance of staying up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not expecting too many points from our august fixtures so perhaps Nigel is waiting to see how we get on before bringing in defensive support?

If we look weak in our first couple games then expect a flurry of loan activity.

I wouldn't think he is too worried re midfield and upfront now. If something falls in his lap then he'll probably take it.

Too many wearers of the blue tinted specs on here as usual. Blinkered & still riding on the wave of last season. 

Plain to see we are 5-6 signings short. Weak spots for all to see.

Those happy with Schlupp (for instance) obviously weren't sitting in my seat at THAT game at Vicarage Rd last season where we was ripped to shreds through the whole game. Nothing has changed going by what I've seen on pre-season. 

Major problems still for me. 

Championship mentality will be Nige's downfall. 

Sorry for not being terminally miserable.

I actually agree with ASS, other then schlump stuff. We are still a very good champoinship team, and lack experience, skill and depth in our squad to compete in a very tough prem league

We do need to add players, but we are going up as a fearless, tight knit squad who are used to enjoying their football. That could add something in our favour.

If we can get something against Everton I think people will be feeling more positive.

Starting 11 I do believe we have more strength than we give ourselves credit for.

Squad wise I think we are lacking 3/4 players.

Have we got enough to stay up? Yes I believe we do.

Have we got enough to stay up comfortably? No, probably not.

With Pearson though it is a slow process and I prefer that than dismantling the squad every season. He will continually asses what we have and pick that odd gem out from nowhere.

We are in safe hands while nige is here.

Starting 11 I do believe we have more strength than we give ourselves credit for.

Squad wise I think we are lacking 3/4 players.

Have we got enough to stay up? Yes I believe we do.

Have we got enough to stay up comfortably? No, probably not.

With Pearson though it is a slow process and I prefer that than dismantling the squad every season. He will continually asses what we have and pick that odd gem out from nowhere.

We are in safe hands while nige is here.

I'm loving the enthusiasm and belief people have with Pearson and the team, I really hope there right. But the pessimist in me says we are gonna end up one of those unlucky teams that lose week in week out on minor things.

I think we will miss the pace of Lloyd Dyer . He had that speed that could just take the pressure off the defence. The only player that we have with raw speed, that springs to mind, is Richie De Laet. Of course, we have Vardy but he will be defending from the front.

Perhaps Albrighton is a quick player although I haven't seen him play much. Thinking back to the Man City cup game, I thought Lloyd caused them the most problems just with his sheer pace. I don't know if we have one of those impact players with pace.

What we do have, in most areas of the pitch, is a group who all seem to be comfortable with receiving a football under pressure. Nigel has built a good team spirit that has put the pride back in to the club and hopefully this can carry us through the season.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Matty James develops - I think he is our key man - when he isn't playing i think its noticeable. He keeps it tidy and simple, even if its those 5 yard passes. He has a good head on his shoulders and sets the tempo along with Drinky, so hoping they both make the transition in to the prem.

When i've seen King and Drinkwater together in a midfield two, it doesn't seem to have worked so I can see there being a case for another CM. Maybe Hammond's combative style will be conducive to some of the games where we are up against it and need to smash and grab - it proved effective at Milwall away last season for example.

The left back area could be improved, especialy if Schlupp gets called up to the African Cup of Nations.

Most of all, i'm looking forward to seeing what Mahrez and Knockaert can do.

Bring on the season,,2 weeks to go...

We will sign more players

Very likely.We have a squad of 23,which includes Logan & Hopper,so realistically 21.

Every area of that squad could benefit from strengthening.We have a good core but last season were lucky to avoid injuries & suspensions.

I have utmost confidence in NP and the squad to at least remain in the Premier League.

We started our original PL journey as totally unfancied and finished in the top 10 four seasons in a row, with a fairly rookie manager and inexperienced players without breaking the bank. You could count on two hands the number of clubs who have achieved that feat in Premier League history.

This squad is clearly together as a unit after their experiences at Watford and last season. NP has been here a while in both spells and had great success. Team spirit, determination and togetherness wins. You only have to look at Costa Rica's performance in the world cup for inspiration. And many examples of large clubs blowing silly money on hasbeens, Spurs last season the most recent example, with Hull proving doubters wrong massively and making a 2-0 lead in the cup final. They were built by an experienced manager, and as an ex-defender similar to NP in his philosophy of remaining solid and organised in defence first and foremost. We were very attacking last season of course, but I can assure you we will have to play much more defensively minded in the PL, especially away from home.

We will be fine and cause a few surprises. Excuse the wikipedia article but it summed it up pretty well:

'Most observers had tipped Leicester for an immediate return to Division One, so Martin O'Neill's ultimate task for this season was to achieve survival for Leicester City. Top flight survival was achieved – for the first time in 11 years – but ninth place in the final table was an excellent finish for a relatively young side who had been tipped for relegation by so many outsiders. The season was capped by a victory over Middlesbrough in the Coca-Cola Cup – Leicester's first major trophy for 33 years – which was their passport to the following season's UEFA Cup' (Wikipedia).

Keep calm and support the city!

Archived