Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
ealingfox

So just what is going on here?

Recommended Posts

Posted

"Here's Moore, in for Phillips, he leaves it to Nugent....it's NUGENT! And Leicester City have their goal."

 

Upon hearing these words as we rounded off the archetypal Champions display away at Leeds in January, surely all but the most deluded boo-boys knew we were going up, and nothing could stand in the way.

 

One of those people must have been Nigel Pearson. Preliminary planning for the 2014/15 season in the Premier League must have started then, if not earlier. A man who has built his reputation on getting business done early, discreetly and efficiently.

 

A confident, relaxed Pearson boasted in the early part of the summer that 'most of our transfer targets you've probably never even heard of'. Perhaps it was just me but I had visions of something quite different to the situation we now find ourselves in.

 

Let be me clear, this isn't a rant, or a moan. I have every faith in the squad that won the title last year, and I was, and still am of the opinion that our strongest XI in May playing every game would not have ended in the bottom 3 teams this season. But I don't think anybody would agree that this dispelled the need to get players in, that were either stronger or strong enough to challenge the first XI and motivate them to kick on. Not only because it would be a massive risk, but as we have already found out, the first XI can't and won't play every game. So additions were/are of the utmost importance.

 

Of course the most frustrating thing is that even this post is based mostly on speculation. But I am calling it an educated guess. It's the apparent failure of the masterplan, or digression from the planned road, that I feel you could forgive people for being worried about. The fact of the matter is all the players who have joined are players that everybody has heard of. We don't even appear to have gone in for anyone even remotely obscure, with the arguable exception of Slimani seeing as NP made that comment pre-World Cup. Was the comment a bluff from NP? A smokescreen? An empty boast? Add to that the fact that we are clearly still looking for players, and they are not joining, and I like many others am wondering what exactly is going on here?

 

Our most problem position, if we had one (LB), NP has not even looked like trying to address at any point this summer. Since Ulloa joined, any deals we have entered into have been drawn-out, fractious affairs shrouded in mystery. Of course discretion is not a bad thing, but only when there is an end product. Since the balloonhead comments, Pearson's comments on transfer activity have been increasingly cryptic and vague.

 

I guess what we all want is some reassurance, but we aren't going to get it as it stands. Measured discussion is our best hope of retaining sanity now.

 

Is there still a plan? Has the meticulous background work and research method been thrown out the window yet? What is going on here?

 

And seriously, Cambiasso can suck a dick and fvck off, the teasing little twat. This "transfer" "saga" has gotten people in a right state. If he joins we're MASSIVE, if he doesn't, well we're obviously still MASSIVE but we won't have Cambiasso, just Dean Hambiasso.

 

Anyone know why we should still be as confident as we were in May?

Posted

I have to agree, I was expecting something a little different too. After hearing what Pearson said I was expecting to sign a few unearthed gems. I do also agree that more or less everything written on this forum in the transfer section is pure speculation and I'm not sure anyone but those involved know exactly what the plan is.

 

Having said that, the planning for the Premier League happened a long time ago, we have been building a squad capable of cutting it in the Prem since Pearson re-took the helm.

 

I still have faith in Pearson, he knows what he is doing and this time next year we'll be talking about the next steps to playing European football instead of 'transfer saga's'.

Posted

I can certainly relate to your concern (you sound just like my dad, who is actually a more worried version of me at all times) but without trying to sound too much like Babylon, some of what you say is conjecture.

 

You say he hasn't tried to address the left back problem, and that sums up my point. Yes I share your concern about that position, but you don't know that we haven't been looking for left backs, or that we aren't confident of securing the right one before the window shuts.

 

Maybe this is best left for when that time comes, as what happens so often in transfer windows is a lot of nothing followed by a flurry of business or vice versa.

 

I'm trying not to panic - I'm convinced that Nigel will add at least 2 more players, probably more, and when he does I bet things won't look so eerie.

 

Still, the sooner these deals happen the better for all of us, I think we all need some stress relief.

Posted

"Here's Moore, in for Phillips, he leaves it to Nugent....it's NUGENT! And Leicester City have their goal."

 

Upon hearing these words as we rounded off the archetypal Champions display away at Leeds in January, surely all but the most deluded boo-boys knew we were going up, and nothing could stand in the way.

 

One of those people must have been Nigel Pearson. Preliminary planning for the 2014/15 season in the Premier League must have started then, if not earlier. A man who has built his reputation on getting business done early, discreetly and efficiently.

 

A confident, relaxed Pearson boasted in the early part of the summer that 'most of our transfer targets you've probably never even heard of'. Perhaps it was just me but I had visions of something quite different to the situation we now find ourselves in.

 

Let be me clear, this isn't a rant, or a moan. I have every faith in the squad that won the title last year, and I was, and still am of the opinion that our strongest XI in May playing every game would not have ended in the bottom 3 teams this season. But I don't think anybody would agree that this dispelled the need to get players in, that were either stronger or strong enough to challenge the first XI and motivate them to kick on. Not only because it would be a massive risk, but as we have already found out, the first XI can't and won't play every game. So additions were/are of the utmost importance.

 

Of course the most frustrating thing is that even this post is based mostly on speculation. But I am calling it an educated guess. It's the apparent failure of the masterplan, or digression from the planned road, that I feel you could forgive people for being worried about. The fact of the matter is all the players who have joined are players that everybody has heard of. We don't even appear to have gone in for anyone even remotely obscure, with the arguable exception of Slimani seeing as NP made that comment pre-World Cup. Was the comment a bluff from NP? A smokescreen? An empty boast? Add to that the fact that we are clearly still looking for players, and they are not joining, and I like many others am wondering what exactly is going on here?

 

Our most problem position, if we had one (LB), NP has not even looked like trying to address at any point this summer. Since Ulloa joined, any deals we have entered into have been drawn-out, fractious affairs shrouded in mystery. Of course discretion is not a bad thing, but only when there is an end product. Since the balloonhead comments, Pearson's comments on transfer activity have been increasingly cryptic and vague.

 

I guess what we all want is some reassurance, but we aren't going to get it as it stands. Measured discussion is our best hope of retaining sanity now.

 

Is there still a plan? Has the meticulous background work and research method been thrown out the window yet? What is going on here?

 

And seriously, Cambiasso can suck a dick and fvck off, the teasing little twat. This "transfer" "saga" has gotten people in a right state. If he joins we're MASSIVE, if he doesn't, well we're obviously still MASSIVE but we won't have Cambiasso, just Dean Hambiasso.

 

Anyone know why we should still be as confident as we were in May?

 

well yes it is really no matter might how you frame the words...the fact is that, other than the Cambiasso saga, we don't really know much about anything and the only reason we can discuss how Cambiasso has dragged on is because 'some balloon head' disclosed it.

 

I think I get and understand your underlying point and this is an internet forum after all,so I'm not criticising your points just responding.  The point I am trying to make is that, as fans, almost our entire understanding and the constructs we build around it are simply a fiction. We know squat. we think we do because social media feeds on rumours...not facts..rumours and every day that goes by, the distinction between 'relatively'  trustworthy  and 'apparently' trustworthy news sources becomes more and more blurred...is it real or just another layer of crap on an already very think shit sandwich fed by bullshitters claiming to know something to support a click through industry that makes some people a living.

 

Other than the obvious, either good or bad, we have almost no means to assess credibility of information. Babylon often gets criticised on this forum for pointing this very fact out when we (and i include myself) are all getting very excited about the latest bit of wholly unsubstantiated nonsense. We are all junkies for it or we wouldn't be logging onto the forum everyday, but we do need to take a step back occasionally and evaluate the true state of our knowledge and the comments we make as a result of what we think we know

 

so bottom line is that we can't answer your questions and in fact we don't even know if they are relevant....I have no idea whether things are going to plan or in fact what the plan was..i suspect/think it was probably to strengthen but only if we can get the right players...contrary to some other occasional posters the right players do not grow on trees and cant be plucked out of thin air...there fore there is a distinct possibility that even though we haven't strengthened with the players we might have wanted, it is in fact to plan.

 

The management team have done ample to have my trust (not that you suggested your thoughts were to the contrary) and if we sign more players great, if we don't so be it. 

Posted

Try staying out of the transfer forum. Ignorance is bliss. I've barely been in there all summer and I'm feeling quite relaxed. We've obviously missed out on a couple of targets but that's not such a big deal. Have a bit of faith in the lads who stormed the championship a few months back, and have a bit of faith in Pearson getting the right players even if it takes a bit longer than we might have hoped.

Posted

Ok not really sure what the OP is getting at here as he claims it is not a rant.

So I am giving my take on it.

 

As we know Nige likes to give nothing away on transfers so why do people take the comment no one will have heard of my targets as gospel.

Did you really think that was the truth or did you expect him to name targets.

We may have heard of some of his supposed targets.

But who expected Ulloa or Cambiasso to be targets.

 

As for the fact we seem to be struggling making our targets our players can we pop back a few years to MON.

Even he said it was hard to sign players of the quality he wanted.

With four top ten finishes and 3 cup finals (2 wins) and two trips into europe he still struggled.

We as much as we think are not big boys now and we are not in London Manchester or Birmingham or liverpool.

We are small fry with no recent history in the prem and being our first season up makes it even harder.

 

Whatever you think of hull they are second year up in europe and been in a FA cup final.

Palace are second year so both are better prospects than us. Hull also have a proven manager in the prem we don't.

So right now ignore the bullshite support the players and manager we have and enjoy the ride.

 

As long as we make a fight of it I would be happy to keep NFP next season even if we go down.

But until we and NFP are proven we are not the jump at it option for a lot of players and won't be for some time to come.

I personally would rather we do things the right way so we have a club in 3 years go down and return than piss it up the wall on players that don't care.

Run the right way I see our owners being here for years (No I did not trust them to start with) but run wrong they may flog us to another MM.

Posted

I seem to be the only fan who was happy we ain't gone and signed every man, women and child under the sun.

 

Our players deserve their chance, and they will be good enough to succeed. 2-2 to Everton is quality, anyone less confident now than in May confuses me

Posted

Pearson might well have identified a few gems, but they don't want to come.

There have been targets but nothing has happened - Pearson said as much himself.

We do need more players. Time is ticking. But who will come?

Posted

I seem to be the only fan who was happy we ain't gone and signed every man, women and child under the sun.

 

Our players deserve their chance, and they will be good enough to succeed. 2-2 to Everton is quality, anyone less confident now than in May confuses me

Had we done that I really would be the first to say.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pearson Out.

Posted

Can't get away from the fact that Nige looked very relaxed on Saturday, knowing our injury predicament and upcoming few games. He clearly knows lots that we don't. let's wait till the end of the month before we ask too many questions. Plenty of time then, especially as we will have had to suffer chelski and the arse and will be embarking on an international break.

Posted

I thought securing promotion early would effectively give us a few months head start over 2nd and 3rd but it hasn't quite panned out that way.

Maybe Pearson was hoping to tie Cambiasso down earlier in the summer so he could raise our profile slightly but maybe he laughed us off and due to a lack of offers he's now in talks with us.

Posted

Understandable frustration - well expressed.

BUT it always was going to be difficult.

1 promoted side with no recent track record in moneybags Prem - we're not top of pecking order (and players choose clubs not vice versa)

2 unknown manager - Harry has the advantage - for now

3 canny agents who won't play NFP's secrecy game and use our interest to drum up interest from other clubs in the hope of a better deal

4 lack of club experience in dealing with major European transfers

5 salary ceiling (if true) means rivals know what to offer to outbid us

6 rivals in race to avoid relegation/achieve mid table have every interest in sticking their oar in the moment our interest becomes known. Nearly every story has been accompanied by the same clubs being interested in the same players - Palace, QPR, Southampton, Stoke usually

7 the NFP attitude test reduces the number of players we can get - se Frazier Campbell

Guest Col city fan
Posted

"Here's Moore, in for Phillips, he leaves it to Nugent....it's NUGENT! And Leicester City have their goal."

Upon hearing these words as we rounded off the archetypal Champions display away at Leeds in January, surely all but the most deluded boo-boys knew we were going up, and nothing could stand in the way.

One of those people must have been Nigel Pearson. Preliminary planning for the 2014/15 season in the Premier League must have started then, if not earlier. A man who has built his reputation on getting business done early, discreetly and efficiently.

A confident, relaxed Pearson boasted in the early part of the summer that 'most of our transfer targets you've probably never even heard of'. Perhaps it was just me but I had visions of something quite different to the situation we now find ourselves in.

Let be me clear, this isn't a rant, or a moan. I have every faith in the squad that won the title last year, and I was, and still am of the opinion that our strongest XI in May playing every game would not have ended in the bottom 3 teams this season. But I don't think anybody would agree that this dispelled the need to get players in, that were either stronger or strong enough to challenge the first XI and motivate them to kick on. Not only because it would be a massive risk, but as we have already found out, the first XI can't and won't play every game. So additions were/are of the utmost importance.

Of course the most frustrating thing is that even this post is based mostly on speculation. But I am calling it an educated guess. It's the apparent failure of the masterplan, or digression from the planned road, that I feel you could forgive people for being worried about. The fact of the matter is all the players who have joined are players that everybody has heard of. We don't even appear to have gone in for anyone even remotely obscure, with the arguable exception of Slimani seeing as NP made that comment pre-World Cup. Was the comment a bluff from NP? A smokescreen? An empty boast? Add to that the fact that we are clearly still looking for players, and they are not joining, and I like many others am wondering what exactly is going on here?

Our most problem position, if we had one (LB), NP has not even looked like trying to address at any point this summer. Since Ulloa joined, any deals we have entered into have been drawn-out, fractious affairs shrouded in mystery. Of course discretion is not a bad thing, but only when there is an end product. Since the balloonhead comments, Pearson's comments on transfer activity have been increasingly cryptic and vague.

I guess what we all want is some reassurance, but we aren't going to get it as it stands. Measured discussion is our best hope of retaining sanity now.

Is there still a plan? Has the meticulous background work and research method been thrown out the window yet? What is going on here?

And seriously, Cambiasso can suck a dick and fvck off, the teasing little twat. This "transfer" "saga" has gotten people in a right state. If he joins we're MASSIVE, if he doesn't, well we're obviously still MASSIVE but we won't have Cambiasso, just Dean Hambiasso.

Anyone know why we should still be as confident as we were in May?

I've got to be honest Ealing. This is a well thought out post but how I see it is along the lines of... 'I'm not as confident as I was, but I'm trying not to say that (it would make me sound negative), but actually that is exactly what I am saying.

Join the club...how long will this 'team ethic' thing last for if we start to lose football matches due to not really having strength in depth?

I agree completely..the Cambiasso thing has been just..bizarre really. God knows where all the ITK's got their supposed info from and why people got so excited so quickly.

But that's by the by. My opinion is that we need to strengthen in key areas (although left back, for me, is not the biggest concern) and that we need to do so sooner rather than later. But I believe in Pearson and I think he will do exactly that. I expect (and hope for) two good signings before the transfer window shuts and possibly a loanee or two.

I think we need that.

Good post...

Posted

I don't think it's going quite as smoothly over the last few weeks but....

Ulloa, Hamer, Upson and Deeney, definite targets, got three from four so far. How many more have there been/are there ? Who knows ?

Albrighton probably not on the list until the Villa released him, the same for Cambiasso not even a consideration a few months ago.

Posted

I always consider the last day of the transfer window, as a mass of clubs panic buying.

On the flip side of that, you could say that owners/agents et al can't do any more bargaining or touting around to potential suitors and it's more a day for the buyer rather than the seller.  

Posted

Paper thin strength squad will be our downfall.. Already injuries have kicked in and our cover is pitiful for this level.. Upson probably won't play this side of Christmas, I'm concerned Albrighton and Vardy are being rushed back to quickly, because we're low on numbers... On Saturday we go to Stamford Bridge with a team that's embarrassingly lacking in quality and strength..the alamo will be an understatement!... Ok we're not expected to take points from the top 4, we did ok against Everton (but rode our luck a little), but the gulf between our side and Chelsea on Saturday is ENORMOUS!!... Numerous reasons/excuses have been made for our failure to strengthen up to this point in time, the days are ticking by and nothing seems to happen, could it be there's some problem in funding big transfers???... One things for sure..we've 11 days left to save our premier league status.. Cos the current squad is nowhere near strong enough to survive!!

Posted

"So what is going on here?" Leicester are trying to sign players on the cheap, and it is blatantly obvious that it isn't working, that's what's happening. Players want more than we are willing to pay and clubs think that because we are in the Premier League we are willing to shell out 10 million here there and everywhere on players who, quite frankly, aren't worth anywhere near their clubs valuation. The result is the current predicament we find ourselves in, short on players and short on targets who are affordable and will fit into our wage structure. It takes time to identify players who fit into this category, especially when they need to be of significant quality. If the worst happens and we sign nobody, then there is still January. Having said all that we should be fine either way in my opinion.

Posted

Paper thin strength squad will be our downfall.. Already injuries have kicked in and our cover is pitiful for this level.. Upson probably won't play this side of Christmas, I'm concerned Albrighton and Vardy are being rushed back to quickly, because we're low on numbers... On Saturday we go to Stamford Bridge with a team that's embarrassingly lacking in quality and strength..the alamo will be an understatement!... Ok we're not expected to take points from the top 4, we did ok against Everton (but rode our luck a little), but the gulf between our side and Chelsea on Saturday is ENORMOUS!!... Numerous reasons/excuses have been made for our failure to strengthen up to this point in time, the days are ticking by and nothing seems to happen, could it be there's some problem in funding big transfers???... One things for sure..we've 11 days left to save our premier league status.. Cos the current squad is nowhere near strong enough to survive!!

Early knee-jerk reaction post of the year contender?

 

How on Earth you're making all these assumptions and then manage to tie them all together to create one big spectacular hypothesis is beyond me.

We've played 1 out of 38 Premier League matches, gained one point and we're already doomed? lol

 

Somebody call a doctor. weller54's going delusional.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...