Hungry Hungry Fox Posted 21 August 2014 Posted 21 August 2014 Paper thin strength squad will be our downfall.. Already injuries have kicked in and our cover is pitiful for this level.. Upson probably won't play this side of Christmas, I'm concerned Albrighton and Vardy are being rushed back to quickly, because we're low on numbers... On Saturday we go to Stamford Bridge with a team that's embarrassingly lacking in quality and strength..the alamo will be an understatement!... Ok we're not expected to take points from the top 4, we did ok against Everton (but rode our luck a little), but the gulf between our side and Chelsea on Saturday is ENORMOUS!!... Numerous reasons/excuses have been made for our failure to strengthen up to this point in time, the days are ticking by and nothing seems to happen, could it be there's some problem in funding big transfers???... One things for sure..we've 11 days left to save our premier league status.. Cos the current squad is nowhere near strong enough to survive!!Typical drivel from you, it's laughable reallyVardy and Albrighton had minor injuries and both have been in full training this week
Raw Dykes Posted 21 August 2014 Posted 21 August 2014 "Here's Moore, in for Phillips, he leaves it to Nugent....it's NUGENT! And Leicester City have their goal." Upon hearing these words as we rounded off the archetypal Champions display away at Leeds in January, surely all but the most deluded boo-boys knew we were going up, and nothing could stand in the way. One of those people must have been Nigel Pearson. Preliminary planning for the 2014/15 season in the Premier League must have started then, if not earlier. A man who has built his reputation on getting business done early, discreetly and efficiently. A confident, relaxed Pearson boasted in the early part of the summer that 'most of our transfer targets you've probably never even heard of'. Perhaps it was just me but I had visions of something quite different to the situation we now find ourselves in. Let be me clear, this isn't a rant, or a moan. I have every faith in the squad that won the title last year, and I was, and still am of the opinion that our strongest XI in May playing every game would not have ended in the bottom 3 teams this season. But I don't think anybody would agree that this dispelled the need to get players in, that were either stronger or strong enough to challenge the first XI and motivate them to kick on. Not only because it would be a massive risk, but as we have already found out, the first XI can't and won't play every game. So additions were/are of the utmost importance. Of course the most frustrating thing is that even this post is based mostly on speculation. But I am calling it an educated guess. It's the apparent failure of the masterplan, or digression from the planned road, that I feel you could forgive people for being worried about. The fact of the matter is all the players who have joined are players that everybody has heard of. We don't even appear to have gone in for anyone even remotely obscure, with the arguable exception of Slimani seeing as NP made that comment pre-World Cup. Was the comment a bluff from NP? A smokescreen? An empty boast? Add to that the fact that we are clearly still looking for players, and they are not joining, and I like many others am wondering what exactly is going on here? Our most problem position, if we had one (LB), NP has not even looked like trying to address at any point this summer. Since Ulloa joined, any deals we have entered into have been drawn-out, fractious affairs shrouded in mystery. Of course discretion is not a bad thing, but only when there is an end product. Since the balloonhead comments, Pearson's comments on transfer activity have been increasingly cryptic and vague. I guess what we all want is some reassurance, but we aren't going to get it as it stands. Measured discussion is our best hope of retaining sanity now. Is there still a plan? Has the meticulous background work and research method been thrown out the window yet? What is going on here? And seriously, Cambiasso can suck a dick and fvck off, the teasing little twat. This "transfer" "saga" has gotten people in a right state. If he joins we're MASSIVE, if he doesn't, well we're obviously still MASSIVE but we won't have Cambiasso, just Dean Hambiasso. Anyone know why we should still be as confident as we were in May? While I do see where you're coming from re: "You won't have heard of our targets", and NP liking to get signings done early, I do think you're more worried than you need to be. I'm not concerned about the squad. I do think we're a couple of players short, in order to be able to deal with injuries, but then I also expect this will be addressed in time. I do understand why people might be a bit worried about the lack of activity in the transfer market, but I think some people might not be able to see what's going on at the club. NP knows what he is doing. I think we more or less have the squad we will have for years to come, if NP gets it his way. It's got to be the best way to run a club, surely? Invest in scouting, buy young players with potential on the cheap, end up with either a squad that continually improves if those players stay, or a profit to invest in more of the same should those players be sold. It's a no lose situation. It's understandable why people become frustrated when their club hardly sign anyone while watching other clubs spend big (I'm not accusing you of this, in fact, the rest is not really a response to your post at all). I get it. I know how exciting it is to see your club make waves in the transfer market. Remember Mad Dog Allen's summer transfer window under MM, or Sven's more recently? I think everyone thought we were favourites for promotion both times, and we all know what actually happened. Too many signings can be disastrous. I can't know for sure, but I suspect Allen and Sven never really considered the character of the players they were signing. I get the feeling NP puts a lot of thought into potential signings, and would rather not bother signing anyone if he can't get the right man for the job. I think we're all in agreement that the squad is on the small side, but then there is an argument to be made that signing a few players could make the squad too big. Obviously, there's no way of knowing how many injuries any team will have. If the squad stays as it is now, we might lose a few matches due to not having enough cover. However, we could get a few in, then be injury-free most of the season and end up with unhappy players in the reserves and the disharmony could lose us even more points.
MHC Posted 21 August 2014 Posted 21 August 2014 Early knee-jerk reaction post of the year contender? How on Earth you're making all these assumptions and then manage to tie them all together to create one big spectacular hypothesis is beyond me. We've played 1 out of 38 Premier League matches, gained one point and we're already doomed? Somebody call a doctor. weller54's going delusional. Point made there, I am convinced we are already good enough for this league as proven last week. I went to 29 games last season and I tell you now I was watching a top drawer team a majority of that time. We just need reinforcements to compliment what we already have. Imagine what signing the likes of Cambiasso would do to help Matty James and Danny Drinkwater, imagine being on that pitch knowing Esteban bloody Cambiasso is waiting to take your spot in the team. Sign him and James and Drinkwater will improve as players purely because a world class player is waiting to step in at their expense. Signings like this will push the players to try even harder and push themselves further. No need to worry, the players we're targeting will come eventually.
ealingfox Posted 21 August 2014 Author Posted 21 August 2014 Not sure, but I'm staying in Ealing for a couple of days this weekend. Can you recommend a good restaurant? http://charlottes.co.uk/place/
EnglishOxide Posted 21 August 2014 Posted 21 August 2014 I seem to be the only fan who was happy we ain't gone and signed every man, women and child under the sun. Our players deserve their chance, and they will be good enough to succeed. 2-2 to Everton is quality, anyone less confident now than in May confuses me You aren't the only one mate. It really winds me up that people are expecting half a new squad. We will play less games this season, assuming we go no further in the cups. I think people are getting us confused with the top teams who need 25-30 players as they are competing for Europe. Our injury predicament will not last. When everybody is fit we will have quality players not even making the bench and people want to add to that for some reason.
weller54 Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Typical drivel from you, it's laughable really Vardy and Albrighton had minor injuries and both have been in full training this week I really hope my comments turn out to be drivel...and that you can laugh at them come next April /May...but we'll see won't we!.. In the meantime I'll get the sand ready to bury my head into..you must have some to spare!?
Guest ttfn Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 You aren't the only one mate. It really winds me up that people are expecting half a new squad. We will play less games this season, assuming we go no further in the cups. I think people are getting us confused with the top teams who need 25-30 players as they are competing for Europe. Our injury predicament will not last. When everybody is fit we will have quality players not even making the bench and people want to add to that for some reason. I agree. Also, even with 3 key players missing on Saturday, the players from our "weak squad" stepped up. Good players are going to struggle to get into our first XI and possibly don't fancy battling for a place on the bench. It's a pipe dream to suggest that we might lose three or four players and then still have a strong bench relative to what we had pre-injuries - there's not a team in the country who can do that. I'd like to see a new left back come in though.
Haydos Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 I've got to be honest Ealing. This is a well thought out post but how I see it is along the lines of... 'I'm not as confident as I was, but I'm trying not to say that (it would make me sound negative), but actually that is exactly what I am saying. Join the club...how long will this 'team ethic' thing last for if we start to lose football matches due to not really having strength in depth? I agree completely..the Cambiasso thing has been just..bizarre really. God knows where all the ITK's got their supposed info from and why people got so excited so quickly. But that's by the by. My opinion is that we need to strengthen in key areas (although left back, for me, is not the biggest concern) and that we need to do so sooner rather than later. But I believe in Pearson and I think he will do exactly that. I expect (and hope for) two good signings before the transfer window shuts and possibly a loanee or two. I think we need that. Good post... Has it? I think that 99% of people have no idea what is involved with football transfers, especially when a player is relocating to a new country. On top of that Pearson has come out and said that other people have interferred including agents and other reps who are almost certainly trying to get him to sign the biggest contract possible regardless of what club he goes to.
Raj Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Perhaps NP feels that his relatively young,hungry,confident players he has developed over the last couple of seasons dont really need too many bad eggs coming in on bigger wags and contracts rocking the boat? Unlike everyones favourite uncle 'Arry at PQR!
Guest Col city fan Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Has it? I think that 99% of people have no idea what is involved with football transfers, especially when a player is relocating to a new country. On top of that Pearson has come out and said that other people have interferred including agents and other reps who are almost certainly trying to get him to sign the biggest contract possible regardless of what club he goes to. Yes it has. If we now don't go on to sign Cambiasso, the thread will remain in the archives as one of the most over-the-top ever on this forum. IMO, of course. At least some semblance of normalcy appears to have resumed.
Fox 4 Life Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 We definitely need depth but you have to trust that Nige and his team also know that. I do think our transfers seem to have been drawn out but for me this is because we are trying to keep transfer fees and wages down as low as possible. I personally don't agree with that as if we find ourselves back in the championship next year then we are worse off anyway. We have done the hard bit in getting up now why not invest to give us the best shot at staying here. RE the LB position us as fans feel this is a weakness but Nige sees these guys in training every day and clearly thinks Konch and Jeff are enough, we need to trust the guy that got us here to make those decisions. He seems focused on the strikers because he knows you need to score goals to have a chance in the prem. I do agree about cambiasso though. Time to draw a line under this farce and look elsewhere. QPR got a great player in Fer whilst we are chasing after a 34 year old diva. Spurs have said Holtby is available who would be another great addition.
Guest Col city fan Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 We definitely need depth but you have to trust that Nige and his team also know that. I do think our transfers seem to have been drawn out but for me this is because we are trying to keep transfer fees and wages down as low as possible. I personally don't agree with that as if we find ourselves back in the championship next year then we are worse off anyway. We have done the hard bit in getting up now why not invest to give us the best shot at staying here. RE the LB position us as fans feel this is a weakness but Nige sees these guys in training every day and clearly thinks Konch and Jeff are enough, we need to trust the guy that got us here to make those decisions. He seems focused on the strikers because he knows you need to score goals to have a chance in the prem. I do agree about cambiasso though. Time to draw a line under this farce and look elsewhere. QPR got a great player in Fer whilst we are chasing after a 34 year old diva. Spurs have said Holtby is available who would be another great addition. What an exceptionally sensible post...
Haydos Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Yes it has. If we now don't go on to sign Cambiasso, the thread will remain in the archives as one of the most over-the-top ever on this forum. IMO, of course. At least some semblance of normalcy appears to have resumed. Only because half of the people on here are idiots. Why is it such a big deal to talk about something? Why is it over the top? It's something that is seriously being negotiated and would be one of the biggest coups in the clubs history. I find it embarassing that people aren't getting more enthusiastic about it. Or are we too big for this now? Can we do better? I hope people don't start getting this attitude already, the seasons barely kicked off.
Haydos Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 We definitely need depth but you have to trust that Nige and his team also know that. I do think our transfers seem to have been drawn out but for me this is because we are trying to keep transfer fees and wages down as low as possible. I personally don't agree with that as if we find ourselves back in the championship next year then we are worse off anyway. We have done the hard bit in getting up now why not invest to give us the best shot at staying here. RE the LB position us as fans feel this is a weakness but Nige sees these guys in training every day and clearly thinks Konch and Jeff are enough, we need to trust the guy that got us here to make those decisions. He seems focused on the strikers because he knows you need to score goals to have a chance in the prem. I do agree about cambiasso though. Time to draw a line under this farce and look elsewhere. QPR got a great player in Fer whilst we are chasing after a 34 year old diva. Spurs have said Holtby is available who would be another great addition. Good post. I do think we are struggling to attract players though. We're a newly promoted club, we're not a 'popular' club and the location isn't that appealing either. Most people haven't heard of most of our team. We just don't have the pulling power that people think we do and a lot of our fans are getting entitled again. The reality is we're on a similar level to Burnley in terms of what we can offer, maybe a bit more cash to chuck around but other than that there's not much difference.
Mapperleyfox Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 While i'm worried about the strenght in depth i'm going to reserve judgement until the window shuts. If no additions are made then i think it's right to questions about our transfer policy, ability to get deals over the line and what on earth our 'crack' scouting team has been doing since May, as the players we've signed already were relatively well known. Plus the fact the NP keeps his cards close to his chest re transfers so for all we know the club could be negotiationg with several agents/.players as we speak. Plenty of time yet though so let's wait & see...
Captain... Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 At this stage 2 years ago, just before their First season in the Prem Southampton had signed a £7.5m forward, a defender, a midfielder and a back up keeper sound familiar? They went on to sign a couple more first teamers and a free agent in the last 10 days of the window and went on to have a very successful season, while QPR spent millions and got relegated. People need to calm down. I have every confidence that come January we will be above teams that have had a "better" transfer window by that I mean they spent more money and brought in more players. Because we are starting off from a stronger base, we have something you can't buy which is team spirit and a tight cohesive unit. Bringing in too many players or the wrong sort of players could destroy that, and that is something more valuable than relegation fodder like Frazier Campbell, Caulker, Fer, Mutch etc Look at Holloway and Palace this time last year, how many players did they sign? Cardiff, how much money did they spend? Hull had the least summer transfer activity and were doing the best of the promoted teams by January. Spurs bought a shit load but were very poor early season. Fulham recruited 11 players in the Summer. Norwich brought in 8 players in the Summer, including 8.5 million on Wolfswinkel and a certain Leroy Fer. West Brom brought in 10 players and only just survived Stoke on the other hand recruited 5 players (3 permanent 2 loans) in the Summer, spending only £5m, finished 9th Southampton signed 3 players and finished 8th
Babylon Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 What's going on? We have a list of targets and for one reason or another we couldn't get some of them in. The list of reasons could be... they didn't want to come, their team didn't want to sell, they went elsewhere, we couldn't afford their wages, we couldn't afford their fee. I don't really know why people put so much emphasis on the "The vast majority of the names we're looking at you've probably never even heard of" comment like it was some sort of guarantee. It's quite clear that the early business we got done must have been high on the list of names as they were all in the door quickly.
Corky Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 The bench looked light on Saturday, but when the first teamers are back it will look stronger. We do need 2 or 3 more players but it's not easy getting players in. I think the owners want to run the club sensibly now and not be reckless and that's a good thing. We are a different proposition now to last season, we could easily attract Championship players to us but it's tougher to convince Premier League players to join what probably will be a relegation battle. To say this squad is guaranteed to go down is ridiculous, just like signing 6 players will ensure we stay up. I think we'll add to the squad before September 1st and then we'll see how we go until January. We have a decent first team but the squad needs boosting.
Happy Fox Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 The bench looked light on Saturday, but when the first teamers are back it will look stronger. We do need 2 or 3 more players but it's not easy getting players in. I think the owners want to run the club sensibly now and not be reckless and that's a good thing. We are a different proposition now to last season, we could easily attract Championship players to us but it's tougher to convince Premier League players to join what probably will be a relegation battle. To say this squad is guaranteed to go down is ridiculous, just like signing 6 players will ensure we stay up. I think we'll add to the squad before September 1st and then we'll see how we go until January. We have a decent first team but the squad needs boosting. We cannot take anything for granted regarding injuries, we need those 2-3 players asap to give our squad a buffer should we suffer any more injury setbacks.
Hungry Hungry Fox Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 I really hope my comments turn out to be drivel...and that you can laugh at them come next April /May...but we'll see won't we!.. In the meantime I'll get the sand ready to bury my head into..you must have some to spare!? We are expected to struggle You're clueless, go away and learn about football
weller54 Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 We are expected to struggle You're clueless, go away and learn about football O and you're so knowledgeable are you??.. We are so lucky to have you on this forum with your words of wisdom.. We'll certainly learn so much from you!!!!... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion you know!!!!!
daddylonglegs Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 O and you're so knowledgeable are you??.. We are so lucky to have you on this forum with your words of wisdom.. We'll certainly learn so much from you!!!!... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion you know!!!!!
MrSpaM Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Hands up who thinks we would have managed to stay in the premiership last season with the squad we had? Honestly think people need to chill out, the aim this season is to stay up, plain and simple, the vast majority of people on here last season thought the squad would have been capable of doing that in the premiership. I'm not sure why everybody is freaking out so much tbh. Like Pearson has stated in recent post match interviews, people need to have a bit more belief in the players we already have, they arnt going to be scrapping for a champions league place but they are good enough to keep us up. It seems like people just want to make signings just because everybody else is. This squad has been built from the ground up as a side that can compete in the premiership, thats been the plan the whole time.
sylofox Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Has anyone thought our pre season has been screwed up as we have had to spend so much time re signing players. When they could have been sorted last year with a clause as to what division we were in.
Babylon Posted 22 August 2014 Posted 22 August 2014 Has anyone thought our pre season has been screwed up as we have had to spend so much time re signing players. When they could have been sorted last year with a clause as to what division we were in. You seem to be presuming the out of contract players would have wanted to stay on massively reduced wages.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.