Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

11 goals in 6 games, nobody questioning back 4..?

Liverpool conceded almost double the goals than Chelsea last season (50 and 27 respectively) and still finished ahead of them in the league. Its not the be all and end all if you concede a few goals. Our attacking line up has looked pretty solid so far and long may it continue. To have only conceded 10 goals in the fixtures weve played so far for a newly promoted team is not bad going surely.

Hopefully you are right.

Another six games and we should have a better idea of our defence against teams which don't have us under siege for large parts of the game.

I think it has been said elsewhere, but, I feel when Matt Upson finally makes his bow for us he will make a massive difference to the solidity of our defence. I think it gives us the option to play 5 at the back if needs be, or alternatively, another dimension should Wes and Liam uncharacteristically lose form.

Some of our defending has been dubious, I won't lie, as some of the goals we have conceded thus far have been the result of our mistakes rather than any added quality we have faced. Whether that is our defence as a whole or individuals, I wouldn't wish to specify. HOWEVER, we have 8 points after 6 games which is more than anyone in the media felt we would amass. Most of us hoped but weren't sure if that points total would be possible, so, we're doing ok.

Burnley this weekend, should (hopefully), be another win on the board or at worst a point. Let's see where we are come the end of October but I have a funny feeling that NP will be getting onto them all about the defending against Palace and they won't want to continually do drills on set piece defending - so it is in their interests to rectifiy some of the issues, but, they will. Otherwise, we wouldn't be in the Premiership would we?

Five of our six opponents are among the eight highest scoring teams in the league. The other team we played, we kept a clean sheet. I'm not saying we've defended particularly well, but thankfully we've been scoring too enough to make up for that.

The next six fixtures are Burnley, Newcastle, Swansea, West Brom, Southampton and Sunderland. If we've conceded 20 after those games then perhaps it will be a legitimate cause for concern.

We've been terrible at set pieces for the past couple of years, got a bit better this season now with Ulloa defending.

Also Kasper isn't the best at coming out and dominating his area. I thought we did very well at set pieces with Hamer in goal.

I agree. There were some very weird tactics going on at Palace, last week. No one seemed to be in command within the defence. Big Wes is playing the ball well enough, but doesn't do much calling, to organise the defence, especially at set pieces.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we're solid defensively, but I'm not massively concerned yet given the opposition we've been playing.

Set pieces are naturally going to be a struggle for this team. Schmeichel's no good in the air, Moore & Morgan are nothing special in the air, neither are the full-backs. In-fact, other than Ulloa, I think we're aerially up to very little.

Possibly harsh on the centre halves, but I think they're far more effective winning the ball on the floor.

Actually, Andy King as well is decent.

Apparently Jedinak ran the show from midfield? From what I've read and heard. Is this true?

Brings me back to an earlier point. Conceding goals is a TEAM thing. It's not only about the defence. If Jedinak.. a decent player, but lets not kid ourselves, he aint brilliant, can have that big an impact on a game, then where were our midfielders? It appears that they neither created very much, offensively, nor did they particularly have much of an impact on defending the set pieces?

Again, we run the risk of slating Nugent for not scoring goals and the defence for conceding them whilst glossing over the probability that our midfield appeared to not do an awful lot to help in either respect?

We are best IMO, when our midfield gets hold of a game. Especially Drinkwater. When he's ticking, we look better going forward and we look better as a defensive unit. He's the key, for me.

And if Jedinak did boss that central area? that sets alarm bells ringing in my mind.

Palace just stopped us playing. They cut off everything and took advantage of our weakness. I slagged off the appointment of Warnock but he did a great job at the weekend.

When you've got a blatant weakness like ours (set pieces) then we're always going to be at risk of losing no matter what. Ulloa's improved our set pieces but not to the extent that I would discount it at a weakness.

Palace just stopped us playing. They cut off everything and took advantage of our weakness. I slagged off the appointment of Warnock but he did a great job at the weekend.

You can only stop playing if you allow the opposition to stop you playing. Really good players (and tactics) will enable you to find a way through. It appears we failed on both counts on Saturday. That's worrying.

You can only stop playing if you allow the opposition to stop you playing. Really good players (and tactics) will enable you to find a way through. It appears we failed on both counts on Saturday. That's worrying.

They played the perfect physical game. We're an energetic side, but physically we aren't the strongest. I'm disappointed that we allowed ourselves to be physically muscled out of a game.

If it's any consolation I think very few sides would've beaten Palace last weekend.

They played the perfect physical game. We're an energetic side, but physically we aren't the strongest. I'm disappointed that we allowed ourselves to be physically muscled out of a game.

If it's any consolation I think very few sides would've beaten Palace last weekend.

Where was the physical battle lost Dan? Surely not Morgan and Moore? They don't usually lose physical battles.

Midfield? Jedinak? Get my point?

I wasnt there, so I'm surmising, but I don't usually see our centre backs losing physical battles. RDL can, sometimes. Konch is usually a tough little battler and Vardy and Ulloa never back out of physical battles. Was it lost in the midfield?

I think people are getting a bit hung up on set pieces yeah we're not fantastic at defending them but we're bound to concede set piece goals because everybody does, even Chelsea who are the best side in the league and are considerably taller than us.

If we were conceding one a game then there's cause for concern but we've looked much better at dealing with them this year than last. It's a personnel issue at the minute rather than a managerial one and I'm content with our defence, for now.

Where was the physical battle lost Dan? Surely not Morgan and Moore? They don't usually lose physical battles.

Midfield? Jedinak? Get my point?

I wasnt there, so I'm surmising, but I don't usually see our centre backs losing physical battles. RDL can, sometimes. Konch is usually a tough little battler and Vardy and Ulloa never back out of physical battles. Was it lost in the midfield?

Midfield and attack. Defensively we were 'OK' but the set piece defending as a team wasn't good enough so that invalidates that.

Drinkwater was dreadful, as bad as I've ever seen him for us. Cambiasso was 'meh', Hammond was a passenger, Nugent was a passenger, Ulloa/Vardy tried but to no real avail.

If anywhere I would say the midfield, correct.

I agree. There were some very weird tactics going on at Palace, last week. No one seemed to be in command within the defence. Big Wes is playing the ball well enough, but doesn't do much calling, to organise the defence, especially at set pieces.

I think you're bang on here.

Wes is a leader in the sense of inspiration: big good tackles, good cover and body on the line stuff. I think we could do with a set piece leader (Konch? He's been around, and as he's short he won't be first ball defence and probably has more attention to spare.) Doesn't have to be the captain...

I think people are getting a bit hung up on set pieces yeah we're not fantastic at defending them but we're bound to concede set piece goals because everybody does, even Chelsea who are the best side in the league and are considerably taller than us.

If we were conceding one a game then there's cause for concern but we've looked much better at dealing with them this year

than last. It's a personnel issue at the minute rather than a managerial one and I'm content with our defence, for now.

Its not the conceding of set pieces, on the odd occasion, but in the PL its often the difference between, like for like teams,a team losing where draws would of been the norm.I wasnt at the game but watched the highlights, plus many on here posted, we should of got a point out of the game. Cross, Sjoberg, Walsh, Elliot just a few players who commanded the penalty area, and scored at set pieces. Yes some seasons they were the difference, where we were playing the next season.

Again I am not advocating, that Wes or Liam are not quality defenders, or we should change the team.

I expect though Wes as the expierenced CB to be more vocal, and organise the defence at set pieces, plus we dont tend to command the P.area at set pieces consistently enough.

Has mentioned before, from other posters we have a tendency to give away too many soft goals at set pieces.

A weakness that many have picked upon during last season.Its become an issue that according to other threads and posts

we need to show improvement.Wes and Liam's general play I believe has been quality, and a major reason why our start has

been a success.

Couldn't let the  Mau U game go by without some recognition.

6http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp9_GEU0cu8

Honestly the best laugh I've had in years....Brilliant, but you missed where he also said, they have made a better bunker at the KP better than you sh#ts built for me. THE end was coming because you let General Pearson get round our defence and invade Rumania, even fooling our special wolf forces.Mussolini let us down by creating a traitorous propaganda man, this Balotelli

makes Goebels look worse than Patton or even worse our SA. Discredited in front of the SSPORTS pundits

Please brush upon your translations.!!!!..hahahaha

This. We clearly struggle to defend set pieces with the combination we have, we could really do with a Skrtel or Mertesacker type centre back who just takes complete command of most of the situations.

Second goal he couldn't do anything about but the first was a high hanging corner and I think a lot of top keepers would have came and got that one, thought our centre backs got really bullied at times on Saturday, might have been a game for Wasyl.

I've said all along that Kasper will never be a top top keeper until he learns how to command his box and tbh I don't think he has the physical stature to do it. BUT I also think that he was wise to stay at home for the first goal, there were too many players to negotiate for him to attack that cross IMO. It was a soft one to concede but i'd look at others to blame first. The second was a great goal, attacked from distance and a powerful header into the corner. Zonal marking can't deal with that.

I've said all along that Kasper will never be a top top keeper until he learns how to command his box and tbh I don't think he has the physical stature to do it. BUT I also think that he was wise to stay at home for the first goal, there were too many players to negotiate for him to attack that cross IMO. It was a soft one to concede but i'd look at others to blame first. The second was a great goal, attacked from distance and a powerful header into the corner. Zonal marking can't deal with that.

I thought this was pretty much what zonal marking was made for: rather than follow the player your job is to get a head on the ball as early as possible. You're absolutely right that it was a cracking goal and sometimes you're going to concede like that, but if the zonal system had worked I think it was De Laet's challenge to make, rather than having Hammond following the man.

I thought this was pretty much what zonal marking was made for: rather than follow the player your job is to get a head on the ball as early as possible. You're absolutely right that it was a cracking goal and sometimes you're going to concede like that, but if the zonal system had worked I think it was De Laet's challenge to make, rather than having Hammond following the man.

I agree entirely, but the problem is when someone attacks a ball like that with a run from distance I don't think a relatively static jump will ever beat them to it. Especially if the guy attacking is tall and strong, he's likely to win any challenge.

They say you shouldn't concede from set plays, but it would be a pretty dull game that we football fans follow if that was the case. Sometimes you have to admire a goal like that.

Archived