Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Sunderland Pre-match Thread

Hi

Sunderland fan here to have a sensible conversation.

Having read most of the posts on this thread you seem to be jumping from very confident, your going to smash us 3 nil to down right pessimists if you play with out wingers!

As I have not watch a great deal of Championship football since we were last there six years ago I am not that familiar with most of your players, you obviously have the forward from Brighton who Gus rated when he had him and Nugent, who we were all pleased didn't sign for us a few years back and went to Pompy where he never set the world on fire, other than that I am sorry to say I don't know much more hence my comments can really only be about our lot.

I know we shipped 8 against Southampton, however in the remaining games we have not conceded to many indeed I think we would have about the third best record as far as goals conceded if you exclude that game. So don't get the idea that we are weak at the back. We are slower due to the absence of both full backs, as we then have the oldest defence in the top flight, however it is a very experienced set up with a bit of quality in there as well.

In the midfield area we will have Catts back in and he is no longer a red card waiting to happen, Gus has got him to stay on his feet more and the red mist no longer comes down if he makes a mistake. His cards now are more a case of his reputation than his actions. Larson is having a good season and has finally scored with a free kick for the first time in almost three years, so his confidence with those should be back, which means you need to be very careful not to give a free kick away to the right side of your defence just out side the book which is his preferred area,

With both our Italian and Argentina international midfielders back in training it will be interesting to see if either start on Saturday, if they do they are both by far the most gifted players on our books and can turn a defence inside out. Then there is the problem child that is Adam Johnson, on his day he can walk through teams but far to often he has run into blind alleys this season so has yet to complete a full 90 mins this year. Buckley who has started instead of him a few times can be very quick and direct and runs at defenders with the ball, personally I see him as more of an impact sub to throw on as the defenders legs are going. Add into the mix Bridcutt, who had his best game for the club last week and Gomez and I have no idea who will play this week!

Up top there is Fletcher, if fit, who is back to his best both in finishing and hold up play bring other midfield runners into play. Whickham who I assume from other comments on here must have a habit of scoring against you lot, has tended to be out wide, which is not his best position. With the other players returning to fitness he might well start n the bench or start up top by himself if Fletcher is not fully fit.

Hope the helps your understanding of our lads.

On another note I understand that with our end being sold out to season cards holders who have been to at least 9 away games in the last three years there are few lads with tickets for the home areas how will they be greeted?

Very much doubt they've got tickets for our end especially how we sell tickets now days. If any jump up should you score I'd expect a wack tbh happened at the man united game.

Very much doubt they've got tickets for our end especially how we sell tickets now days. If any jump up should you score I'd expect a wack tbh happened at the man united game.

Sad really but not unexpected. When I lived down south always got tickets in the main stand in the days when there was standing at both ends and never had any difficulties. I would sus out the feel of the place and then introduce myself have a good chat about how both teams were playing then settle back to enjoy the game. I even celebrated ( not over the top) when we scored, but as we tended to lose most away games in those days it never got ugly.

Sad really but not unexpected. When I lived down south always got tickets in the main stand in the days when there was standing at both ends and never had any difficulties. I would sus out the feel of the place and then introduce myself have a good chat about how both teams were playing then settle back to enjoy the game. I even celebrated ( not over the top) when we scored, but as we tended to lose most away games in those days it never got ugly.

We are one of very few clubs in the division who have sold out every home game so doubt they will have tickets in our end unless it is Leicester "fans" who have got the tickets for them.

We are one of very few clubs in the division who have sold out every home game so doubt they will have tickets in our end unless it is Leicester "fans" who have got the tickets for them.

apparnelty the Uni in Leicester had some tickets which our lot (students down there) snapped up... also some have got tickets of your fans ect... Would expect a few hundred at most, pretty standard really.

same as any other ground, if they just sit on their hands and watch the game then no issue. if they start giving it the biggun in the kop if (when?) you take the lead then they'll probably get thrown out by a steward like that weird united fan with the bike was. 

as said up there i doubt many will have tickets together in any considerable numbers because most our fans can't get tickets together in our ground this season, let alone away fans buying them in the wrong end. 

also this worries me...

basically translates to "we're going to show them way too much respect, probably not attack at all" and in nigel's opinion a 0-0 against such a powerhouse of a club is like winning the league 

also this worries me...

basically translates to "we're going to show them way too much respect, probably not attack at all" and in nigel's opinion a 0-0 against such a powerhouse of a club is like winning the league 

I'm going to stick up for him here and take from it that he doesn't want to rile them up in anyway - if you come out and say "We should beat these, they're a weak side" it makes Poyet, or any manager's job a lot easier. In terms of motivating the players at least.

It can be frustrating at times when you want him to promise the world and say we're going to take it to them, but he's never been that type of guy. I'd be very surprised if we don't set up with a positive mentality though. 

Sounds like he's been informed of/paid attention to the criticisms directed at him, he alluded to the fact he still needs to find the balance between defence and attack. I'm certain he'll get there eventually. The man's as calm and calculated as a serial killer.

yeah but compare that to the comments made by shakespeare before that united game...

when did we become so scared of "having a go"? why have we now got to continuously be scared of what any other team is going to do instead of just have a go ourselves? that was against the most expensive premier league side ever or whatever they were, now we're probably going to play no attacking players to make sure we don't underestimate f**king sunderland! magic. 

yeah but compare that to the comments made by shakespeare before that united game...

when did we become so scared of "having a go"? why have we now got to continuously be scared of what any other team is going to do instead of just have a go ourselves? that was against the most expensive premier league side ever or whatever they were, now we're probably going to play no attacking players to make sure we don't underestimate f**king sunderland! magic. 

You work in a bookies, can you offer me odds on us having more possession and shots than Sunderland and then I'll pop that in the tipping thread as my tip for the weekend? :P

I bet Pearson got Shakey in a headlock for saying such things.

important Squad selection for this match against sunderland! we have to be positive and I need to see that Pearson is going to at least have the likes of Mahrez and Knockeart in there. I think the forward pairing will be interesting as recently I think the only one that deserves to be first on the team sheet is vardy but after that I would say I am not sure, wood seem's a bit hard done by and hasn't started a game, I would say to start him or ulloa. Then defensively I would say that Simpson will come in but clear that Pearson doesn't see him anywhere close to what De leat offer's at rb! keep Schlupp involved though he was good in the last match.

same as any other ground, if they just sit on their hands and watch the game then no issue. if they start giving it the biggun in the kop if (when?) you take the lead then they'll probably get thrown out by a steward like that weird united fan with the bike was. 

as said up there i doubt many will have tickets together in any considerable numbers because most our fans can't get tickets together in our ground this season, let alone away fans buying them in the wrong end. 

We have fans that do it every week due to the massive number of people who cant get tickets in the away end (sometimes as many as 3/4 times as many apply) and i have never heard of any trouble ever. 

I think the most I have heard about is a group of 4 sitting together... again its not some take over of your ground of something  lol

You work in a bookies, can you offer me odds on us having more possession and shots than Sunderland and then I'll pop that in the tipping thread as my tip for the weekend? :P

I bet Pearson got Shakey in a headlock for saying such things.

haha here's hoping we do. it's not just the saying it pre match though, against united we did genuinely play 3 attackers, actually attacked and it was all very enjoyable. obviously that's not going to work every time but we need to stop being so conservative. 

i think one or two team changes (mahrez in, possibly knocky/schlupp also in if we want to go mental) and we should win. these aren't complete shite but they're the level of team we want to be competing with and after not even trying to compete against palace, west brom and newcastle we've gotta do so here. 

it's literally all about the team selection, which it hasn't been for a good 18 months because the team almost completely picked itself last year.

We have fans that do it every week due to the massive number of people who cant get tickets in the away end (sometimes as many as 3/4 times as many apply) and i have never heard of any trouble ever. 

I think the most I have heard about is a group of 4 sitting together... again its not some take over of your ground of something  lol

haha yeah i imagine it happens every time a club sells an away end out. there's been threads and threads on here about it, it's obviously a lot easier in the championship because hardly anyone ever sells out a home end, so once the away end's gone you've got half the home ground to choose from! they'll be very unlucky to find trouble, i think in about 60% of our ground even if they quietly announced themselves as sunderland fans to those around them there'd be nothing more than a tut or a "oooh i hope you lose" from them around them :D 

Hey,

Sunderland fan here, I cant believe you lot are so negative about your chances in this game and season in general. Sunderland have an injury crisis at the moment and never play well against newly promoted teams (Loss vs QPR and 0-0 Draw with Burnley) seriously you should be looking to get at least a draw against us  lol

We have sold the full allocation and I understand that you guys have sold out too so hopefully its a good atmosphere!

On the flip side we're like none other when it comes to playing out of form sides. See where Newcastle's run started, where Burnley started scoring again and where Swansea won after none for five games.

Something's got to give.

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see Mahrez again especially as he's been on his travels this week.

Reckon that him not playing on Wednesday would put him in contention?

If we have to stick to this diamond then we at least need him or Knockaert in for King, or maybe James/Drinkwater whilst King drops back a bit.

Anybody actually looking forward to this? I get the feeling it's going to be another embarrassing afternoon. 

I always pick up some sort of optimism but I just don't think we're going to win this game. I've just got a bad feeling it's going to be the same game as West Brom without their fluke goal.

Weird team Sunderland - have got to see quite a lot of them in the past and have rarely been impressed. Adam Johnson has a good game every now and again but otherwise can be utter dog shit, same with Larsson. Fletcher can be very good and always worry about Wickham against us!

Doing The 92 and travelling to this game from Lancashire. cost me £65 to get a ticket so better be a good outing !

Would appreciate any tips on having a good day out in Leicester, including best pubs and football chat.

Archived