Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Sunderland Pre-match Thread

I'd like to see Albrighton and Mahrez in the same team. Both fairly interchangeable depending on the full-backs and each offers something different. There's a reason the Villa fans were disappointed to see Albrighton go, shame we haven't seen what that reason is yet. Still think Drinkwater/James is our best midfield partnership too.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Was

Wes

Konchesky

Mahrez

James

Drinkwater

Albrighton

Ulloa

Vardy

yeah but compare that to the comments made by shakespeare before that united game...

https://twitter.com/StringerSport/status/513653807071645696

when did we become so scared of "having a go"? why have we now got to continuously be scared of what any other team is going to do instead of just have a go ourselves? that was against the most expensive premier league side ever or whatever they were, now we're probably going to play no attacking players to make sure we don't underestimate f**king sunderland! magic.

Agreed - so frustrating!

I think you need to quantify what "having a go" really means.

If its pinpointing a weakness in the oppositions team, and choosing a style around that to try and produce a good result, that is a legitimate case of having a go.

If its some romantic notion of throwing bodies forward everywhere, playing a wide open formation and going hell for leather, then they might as well stick a huge R next to our name already.

BBC Preview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30065754

Club record signing Leonardo Ulloa has gone quiet after a stellar start to the campaign. The same can be said for Luke Vardy, who was so dynamic against Manchester United. That was a one-off game, a freak result in which everything went for Leicester and they took full advantage. They certainly haven't since looked like a side full of goals.

:nigel: 

Ulloa is quite because he is starved of the ball, due to the diamond formation. Even Pearson admits that!

Sunderland may have been embarrassed when they were hammered 8-0 at Southampton, but City manager Nigel Pearson is in no doubt they are a better side than many people think.

While City frustrated high-flying Southampton for 75 minutes two weeks ago before going down to two late goals, Gus Poyet’s men were humiliated on the south coast.

But Pearson believes that will have no relevance on Saturday when the two sides clash at the King Power Stadium.

Since that drubbing, the Black Cats picked up their first away win of the campaign at Crystal Palace, and Pearson believes that was a more accurate indication of their capabilities.

“They have some quality players, no doubt about that, and I think people under-estimate their qualities,” he said. “They are a better side than people give them credit for.

“I think people would probably look at the game against Southampton and, if you watch that game, they did have some good chances themselves.

"It doesn’t give you a realistic picture of what they are all about. Occasionally, games like that occur, although rarely.

“If you take out the Southampton game, they are a very well-organised team, and on the back of their successes at the end of last season, when they had to endure a very tough time and came through.”

Sunderland have been boosted by the return of several players from injury and main striker Steven Fletcher has been passed fit after picking up a knock while playing for Scotland.

Pearson believes City will have to pay close attention to Fletcher, who scored twice in that win at Palace.

“Their delivery from set-plays is very good and they have quality in terms of being able to finish in people like Fletcher, who is very

dangerous in the box,” he said. “He looks fit and he is a very dangerous player.

“We have to make sure our concentration is such that we can deal with their threats.

“There have obviously been games we have lost because of our inability to keep clean sheets, but we are also not scoring enough goals. 

“Those two combined have contributed to a difficult run.’’

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-v-Sunderland-Nigel-Pearson-says/story-24592509-detail/story.html?#ixzz3JijvgeC2 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I think you need to quantify what "having a go" really means.

If its pinpointing a weakness in the oppositions team, and choosing a style around that to try and produce a good result, that is a legitimate case of having a go.

If its some romantic notion of throwing bodies forward everywhere, playing a wide open formation and going hell for leather, then they might as well stick a huge R next to our name already.

I think the gist of what is being said is to use the first five games of this season as a template. That is, to defend resolutely when without the ball, whilst looking to attack the opposition when have it with pace. The point being the aforementioned template has been mysteriously discarded despite the style with which we played and very decent results achieved.

Back to 4-4-2 please.

Schmeichel

De Laet

Wasilewski

Morgan

Konchesky

Mahrez

James

Drinkwater

Schlupp

Ulloa

Vardy

Agree with 4-4-2 but not a few of those choices. Schlupp's been a disaster as a winger but looked promising at left back again so I'd put Schlupp there and Knockaert back on the wing. Also Ulloa and Vardy just doesn't look to be working. Last year we had Nugent creating chances for Vardy just as much as the midfield was, and Ulloa doesn't do that. Nugent won't score much from open play (and people complained about that last year too) but I think our other strikers play much better when he's alongside them. People keep assembling pretty much the same side as last year but then leaving out Knockaert and Nugent

Agree with 4-4-2 but not a few of those choices. Schlupp's been a disaster as a winger but looked promising at left back again so I'd put Schlupp there and Knockaert back on the wing. Also Ulloa and Vardy just doesn't look to be working. Last year we had Nugent creating chances for Vardy just as much as the midfield was, and Ulloa doesn't do that. Nugent won't score much from open play (and people complained about that last year too) but I think our other strikers play much better when he's alongside them. People keep assembling pretty much the same side as last year but then leaving out Knockaert and Nugent

I agree with what your saying , also dyer sold off, knocky not in nigels thoughts,

think its bad for morale when certain players are deemed undroppable,

also think pearson saying he knows his best eleven is not the sort of statement

to help players trying to break through, be fascinated with who starts tomorrow

and what formation.

This thread lol

We are a long way from sacking Pearson. It makes me wonder where people expected us to be after 11 games - bottom 3 on goal difference only, isn't the end of the world, We'll strengthen in January too methinks, even if it costs the owners £10 million to do so.

This thread lol

We are a long way from sacking Pearson. It makes me wonder where people expected us to be after 11 games - bottom 3 on goal difference only, isn't the end of the world, We'll strengthen in January too methinks, even if it costs the owners £10 million to do so.

Wouldn't hold your breath? Pearson has already alluded to the fact it is very difficult to get players in, in January etc, etc.

Lose today and next week to Qpr and his time here may be in jeopardy?

I do hope though we can at least create some chances against Sunderland. Pity, though, Nige has already bigged them up in his pre match interview so it don't look too good. If he plays that bloody diamond again today, I think many will see a grown man crying.

Archived