Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countesthorpe Fox 1884

Sunderland Pre-match Thread

We will win and win big. We are in the prem for the first time in a decade wake up you lot . Our players are good enough apart from maybe one or two. Please don't let the miserable gits on this forum get you down. A managerial change would be an absolute disaster make no mistake. Pearson has to pull the results round and if he

does well we can really push on. If he doesn't then I do not see a saviour coming in. We are never that lucky. We HAVE to turn this around miserable fans take Prozac, get more sunlight, get pissed or watch some late night channel past 900 on sky.

Sunderland fan here. This is an interesting thead - you lot seem to demanding that Pearson sends your boys out to attack, but if he's done any homework on us whatsoever he'll know that's one of the worst things he can do. We set up away from home to keep shape, keep hold of the ball and draw teams onto us - we want that space behind your midfield.

That's not just us though, it's most teams in the Premier League. I definitely don't want to come across as patronising, but I think that had you lot been in the league for a few years, you'd realise that you can't just come out all guns blazing and expect to stay up. Teams generally play one up front now and try to play "safety first" football; relegation is too catastrophic (financially) for managers to risk it in the name of "entertainment".

I think you have a chance of staying up but you need to be realistic and patient with your manager. Sunderland are also amongst the potential relegation candidates (along with the rest of the "bottom 12") and our squad is a lot better than yours; I don't say that to be offensive or to "brag" as, it's just the product of seven years of Premier League income. We have international players in just about every position and we still play quite a cautious game, so it's no wonder that the promoted clubs - with weaker squads - are doing the same. That's the sensible thing to do; stay in games and try to get that odd goal that will win one game a month for you. 

The worst thing you could do would be to sack Pearson, regardless of what happens over the next two weeks.

no offence but that's a load of rubbish really, and we've proved that already this season. we attacked, went at teams with what you could describe as a bit of over enthusiasm and tried as much as we could to play our own game for 5 games this season. we won 2, drew 2 and were actually quite unlucky to lose to a chelsea team that have basically already won the league. we scored 9 goals and got 8 points from what are statistically 5 of the toughest games we'll play this season.

in the 6 games since, 5 of which were against that "bottom 12" you mention, we have inexplicably stopped attacking in favour of "staying in games" like you say we should be. we've got 1 point from 6 games, only thanks to burnley being awful. we've scored 2 goals in 6 games for the same reason. in our last 4 games we've stayed in them all really well to warrant 0 points. in the last month we're averaging something like 2 shots on target per game, and in 94 minutes against southampton in our last match we stayed in it for 75, looked like winning it for 0 and managed no shots on target to boot. but we sure stayed in that game and what a joy it was. 

unless we finally show the bottle to attack a team we won't score the odd goal a month to win us a game, we won't score again this season. 

some teams might be good at staying in a game, keeping it tight and getting a late goal to get a point or all 3 but we're not. we've kept just one clean sheet all season and our strength is our attack, not our defence. our version of staying in a game is losing 1 or 2 nil, no points. 

no offence but that's a load of rubbish really, and we've proved that already this season. we attacked, went at teams with what you could describe as a bit of over enthusiasm and tried as much as we could to play our own game for 5 games this season. we won 2, drew 2 and were actually quite unlucky to lose to a chelsea team that have basically already won the league. we scored 9 goals and got 8 points from what are statistically 5 of the toughest games we'll play this season.

in the 6 games since, 5 of which were against that "bottom 12" you mention, we have inexplicably stopped attacking in favour of "staying in games" like you say we should be. we've got 1 point from 6 games, only thanks to burnley being awful. we've scored 2 goals in 6 games for the same reason. in our last 4 games we've stayed in them all really well to warrant 0 points. in the last month we're averaging something like 2 shots on target per game, and in 94 minutes against southampton in our last match we stayed in it for 75, looked like winning it for 0 and managed no shots on target to boot. but we sure stayed in that game and what a joy it was. 

unless we finally show the bottle to attack a team we won't score the odd goal a month to win us a game, we won't score again this season. 

some teams might be good at staying in a game, keeping it tight and getting a late goal to get a point or all 3 but we're not. we've kept just one clean sheet all season and our strength is our attack, not our defence. our version of staying in a game is losing 1 or 2 nil, no points. 

At least one of the promoted clubs does that every year and it is never, ever sustainable. It's a combination of factors including (i) the initial wave of post-promotion optimism; (ii) the established teams you play not being fully up to speed; (iii) the opposition not knowing a great deal about your players; and (iv) a little bit of luck. It simply is not sustainable.

If you stay up it will be through keeping it tight, not through attacking teams from the off. You're much more likely to lose doing that than you are to win as, to be frank, most of the other sides have better players than you. Once the game is opened up that becomes magnified and whilst you might get the odd strange result every now and again when everything goes right for you, over 38 games you will be found out.

I think you are also guilty of falling into the trap of thinking that NP made a conscious decision to "stop attacking" - what will actually have happened is that Premier League coaches/managers will have worked you out and devised a way to nullify your threat. That happens to all clubs.

At least one of the promoted clubs does that every year and it is never, ever sustainable. It's a combination of factors including (i) the initial wave of post-promotion optimism; (ii) the established teams you play not being fully up to speed; (iii) the opposition not knowing a great deal about your players; and (iv) a little bit of luck. It simply is not sustainable.

If you stay up it will be through keeping it tight, not through attacking teams from the off. You're much more likely to lose doing that than you are to win as, to be frank, most of the other sides have better players than you. Once the game is opened up that becomes magnified and whilst you might get the odd strange result every now and again when everything goes right for you, over 38 games you will be found out.

i just don't see it so far. we attack, we score, we get points. we play 4 centre mids, we play no attack minded players, we barely cross the half way line, we lose. the second one is going to keep us up? really? 

no disrespect to you but a game like tomorrow's is a game we really need to win to stay up. if we play 4 centre mids with barely an attacking threat between them in a diamond formation we won't win. if we play two up top, someone somewhere to supply them and we get at your seemingly massively injured and potentially vulnerable defence we could win, we could lose. i'd rather give us a chance than simply admit from the off that we aren't even going to try and win, like we have in our last 4 games. 

I think you are also guilty of falling into the trap of thinking that NP made a conscious decision to "stop attacking" - what will actually have happened is that Premier League coaches/managers will have worked you out and devised a way to nullify your threat. That happens to all clubs.

no really, he has consciously made a decision to stop attacking. if you'd watched most our games for the last 18 months you'd see that. the only manager who has devised a way to nullify our threat so far this season has been our own manager. 

NP hasnt altered the way we play the only difference is other teams have now stopped us from playing our normal game so we are having to resort to finding a different way to beat teams because youi cant just go out and attack a team(Man Utd game was a one off and we got some very very very lucky calls from the ref)

Sunderland fan here. This is an interesting thead - you lot seem to demanding that Pearson sends your boys out to attack, but if he's done any homework on us whatsoever he'll know that's one of the worst things he can do. We set up away from home to keep shape, keep hold of the ball and draw teams onto us - we want that space behind your midfield.

That's not just us though, it's most teams in the Premier League. I definitely don't want to come across as patronising, but I think that had you lot been in the league for a few years, you'd realise that you can't just come out all guns blazing and expect to stay up. Teams generally play one up front now and try to play "safety first" football; relegation is too catastrophic (financially) for managers to risk it in the name of "entertainment".

I think you have a chance of staying up but you need to be realistic and patient with your manager. Sunderland are also amongst the potential relegation candidates (along with the rest of the "bottom 12") and our squad is a lot better than yours; I don't say that to be offensive or to "brag" as, it's just the product of seven years of Premier League income. We have international players in just about every position and we still play quite a cautious game, so it's no wonder that the promoted clubs - with weaker squads - are doing the same. That's the sensible thing to do; stay in games and try to get that odd goal that will win one game a month for you. 

The worst thing you could do would be to sack Pearson, regardless of what happens over the next two weeks.

My one hope is that we play with a bit more pace and creativity which might make it interesting against your aging defence. I can't be doing with another game as dull as the West Brom game was, which you seem to say will happen as Pearson is likely to carry on with the same shite as recent weeks.

I want to go down again, at least Yeovil came and had a go and made it a little interesting

My one hope is that we play with a bit more pace and creativity which might make it interesting against your aging defence. I can't be doing with another game as dull as the West Brom game was, which you seem to say will happen as Pearson is likely to carry on with the same shite as recent weeks.

I want to go down again, at least Yeovil came and had a go and made it a little interesting

Not sure pace will make all that much difference either way to be honest - the back four are aging, but they have all played top level football for a long time and are not daft - we defend deep enough to not leave any real space behind. It's incredibly rare that Brown or O'Shea ever end up in a foot race with an opposition player.

I don't think it will be a classic - it's a bigger game for Leicester than it is for Sunderland I reckon and Poyet will know that. If we do a professional job and move on with a point, no damage done. If we can nick it, all the better. We have too many players missing to be any more confident.

Why oh why do people keep selecting alloa and vardy as our strike force, some people

must have crap in their eyes, game after game they are pathetic, currently alloa cannot make

his way into the penalty box, loads of you bigging up vardy, yes he has pace, but he lacks

ball control, vision and positional sense,

i  make no secret of the fact i think nugent is a useful player in his correct position,

up top as an out and out striker, when he plays there he makes rickets but he will allways

get shots in and scores a few and creates chances, he is not a winger or a link man

so if he gets picked he should play in his true position.

also de laet is great going forward, so why not

play him right side of midfield with a defender in the right back position.

PortalRen%C3%A9.jpg

BBC Preview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30065754

Club record signing Leonardo Ulloa has gone quiet after a stellar start to the campaign. The same can be said for Luke Vardy, who was so dynamic against Manchester United. That was a one-off game, a freak result in which everything went for Leicester and they took full advantage. They certainly haven't since looked like a side full of goals.

:nigel: 

BBC Preview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30065754

Club record signing Leonardo Ulloa has gone quiet after a stellar start to the campaign. The same can be said for Luke Vardy, who was so dynamic against Manchester United. That was a one-off game, a freak result in which everything went for Leicester and they took full advantage. They certainly haven't since looked like a side full of goals.

:nigel: 

I actually quite fancy Ulloa getting on the score sheet tomorrow, as i said in the other thread 2-0 foxes.

The Sunderland fan makes some sense, though at the same time underestimates quite how bad we've been lately. I could understand if we were getting draws but we aren't. We've lost five of our last six without scoring and to be honest even the one we didn't lose was as shit a non-loss as you will get in this league.

Archived