Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Morgan

I do cringe at how desperate to lay into the bloke people are. It's as simple as he isn't good enough for this level. Worst defender in PL history? Worst defender we've had? Absolute joke. Goldfish memories.

I'd have him out the side but it's a shame how vigorously our fans turn on our players.

Thought he was actually amongst our better performers in the first 10-12 games of the season.

Since then however he's looked massively out of his depth. Dropping Was who has been our best defender to keep Wes in the side is inexcusable..

He's not helped by playing in a defence which also has appalling full backs...

After watching An out of form Fernando Torres completely tear big Wes apart at Stamford bridge in the FA cup a few years back I'm astonished that Pearson & everybody else thought he would be good enough for the premier league

I do cringe at how desperate to lay into the bloke people are. It's as simple as he isn't good enough for this level. Worst defender in PL history? Worst defender we've had? Absolute joke. Goldfish memories.

I'd have him out the side but it's a shame how vigorously our fans turn on our players.

They turn so quickly, I mean what is it, 27 games, 18 points and a goal difference of minus 20? No patience some follk.

After watching An out of form Fernando Torres completely tear big Wes apart at Stamford bridge in the FA cup a few years back I'm astonished that Pearson & everybody else thought he would be good enough for the premier league

In fairness he had Bamba along side him at that point - expecting essentially one man to keep chelsea quiet is a big ask - and wes had a decent start to the season, outfought Lukaku, kept Costa quiet for 89 minutes...

They turn so quickly, I mean what is it, 27 games, 18 points and a goal difference of minus 20? No patience some follk.

Completely irrelevant to what he said - Wes hasn't had a good season, he's probably not cut out for this level but I've seen worse centre backs here in this decade (anyone for McGivern or Bruma?), let alone in all our history...

In fairness he had Bamba along side him at that point - expecting essentially one man to keep chelsea quiet is a big ask - and wes had a decent start to the season, outfought Lukaku, kept Costa quiet for 89 minutes...

Completely irrelevant to what he said - Wes hasn't had a good season, he's probably not cut out for this level but I've seen worse centre backs here in this decade (anyone for McGivern or Bruma?), let alone in all our history...

At this level of football Wes is the worst CB I've seen in a city shirt, with the possible exception of Jacob Laursen.

Any other season keeping Lukaku quiet would be admirable, this season not so much.

Nice try. I'm talking about those who are seemingly forgetting anything prior to this season. "One of the worst defenders I've seen in a City shirt" being a perfect example of a goldfish-like comment.

He isn't good enough for this league. I'd have him straight out the side now. But I do cringe at the way some cannot wait to lay into anyone who isn't quite good enough. Lack of effort I can't forgive. Lack of ability = drop them but absolutely laying into them for it is a bit harsh.

Lukaku beat himself mainly at the away game. He isn't an intelligent player and has been found out

And games are longer than 89 mins...

Don't blame Morgan though, he doesn't pixk the team

Lukaku beat himself mainly at the away game. He isn't an intelligent player and has been found out

And games are longer than 89 mins...

Don't blame Morgan though, he doesn't pixk the team

Thats a good point about not picking the team. Just about a Pearson fan but were going down if he keeps playing Morgan,probably if he drops him we will but at least see what happens

Jesus. Completely agree with DAN LCFC.. Ok, he's been poor recently but are peoples memories that short lived?

Last season he was immense. People on here literally couldn't praise him enough. He was the best defender we'd had at that level for years.

And he did well for 12-15 games this year. Ok he's not been great since but if he's in the side most weeks can people just support the bloke at least!

He has very good physical attributes and exceptional commitment! The amount of shots blocked last year and at times this year has been class.

There was a stat after the first ten games where Wes had blocked more attempts by a country mile than any other defender in the premier league.

Certainly not saying he's untouchable or anything of that nature. And yes he does lack the footballing brain / reading of the game at this level, but he's been a phenomenal servant over the last 3 years and most probably will be again next year in the Championship so give the guy a bloody break will some of you.

Jesus. Completely agree with DAN LCFC.. Ok, he's been poor recently but are peoples memories that short lived?

Last season he was immense. People on here literally couldn't praise him enough. He was the best defender we'd had at that level for years.

And he did well for 12-15 games this year. Ok he's not been great since but if he's in the side most weeks can people just support the bloke at least!

He has very good physical attributes and exceptional commitment! The amount of shots blocked last year and at times this year has been class.

There was a stat after the first ten games where Wes had blocked more attempts by a country mile than any other defender in the premier league.

Certainly not saying he's untouchable or anything of that nature. And yes he does lack the footballing brain / reading of the game at this level, but he's been a phenomenal servant over the last 3 years and most probably will be again next year in the Championship so give the guy a bloody break will some of you.

Well said. Hasn't been as bad as some are suggesting even. He's better than Upson for example.

Last season was in the Championship, a league Morgan knows pretty much inside out thanks to his Championship experience.

The Premier League is a somewhat different ballgame and I'm afraid he's been found out at this level way too often - just like a handful of other players.

He is a good, reliable and solid defender in Championship terms, but at age 31, it'll take a miracle for him to improve his game and getting even better. Which is required in the top flight.

As for the regular "blocked shots" stat - that doesn't help at all when you consider the amount of times he's cost us due to own goals, slip-ups, bad positioning, bad clearances, not holding the defensive line, bad marking or carelessly giving the ball away. I'd expect better from a team captain - he's supposed to be a role model within the squad.

I wish Morgan a happy and successful remaining career, I thank him for being an integral part in previously successful times - I do hope he proves us all wrong by putting in the shift of his lifetime in the remaining games this season.

At this level of football Wes is the worst CB I've seen in a city shirt, with the possible exception of Jacob Laursen.

Any other season keeping Lukaku quiet would be admirable, this season not so much.

Steve Howey? Either you've not been watching longer than five years or you've got a really short memory.

To be honest i don't think he's been as bad as many are making him out to be. I'm not saying he's been great and i'd also drop him for Was.

It's unfair to blame some of the goals we've conceeded on him in my opinion. Man City for example, he blocked Silva's shot and it was unfortunate the ball just happened to stay there for Silva to get another chance. If he hadn't made the block in the first place and Silva had scored then everyone would be blaming Morgan for not trying to block it,

Liverpool at home, he blocked a cross and the ball fell straight to Gerrard, well where were the midfielders? someone should have been covering Gerrard and if they were in the right position on the edge of the area they would have cleared it.

Wes will always try and block shots and crosses and put his body on the line, at the start of the season he was getting so much praise because they were good blocks, now he's been more unfortunate and the ball is falling to opposition or he scores and OG. A lot of the criticism is hugely unfair, however, i'm not saying that he hasn't been at fault for quite a few goals

This thread is embarrassing.....

I think majority of city fans will agree he maybe needs a rest/dropped whatever you want to call it but to call him the worst defender in prem history and we need to get rid ASAP etc is just plain nonsense!

First couple of months of the season, he was easily our best defender but since then he has been found out a bit and looked weary to me...... Having said that, other than Cambiasso, he was our best player against Everton

It seems to be the theme on this forum that when someone has a loss of form or struggles in a few games, he needs to be sold immediately, he's terrible, worst player we've had etc

To be honest i don't think he's been as bad as many are making him out to be. I'm not saying he's been great and i'd also drop him for Was.

It's unfair to blame some of the goals we've conceeded on him in my opinion. Man City for example, he blocked Silva's shot and it was unfortunate the ball just happened to stay there for Silva to get another chance. If he hadn't made the block in the first place and Silva had scored then everyone would be blaming Morgan for not trying to block it,

Liverpool at home, he blocked a cross and the ball fell straight to Gerrard, well where were the midfielders? someone should have been covering Gerrard and if they were in the right position on the edge of the area they would have cleared it.

Wes will always try and block shots and crosses and put his body on the line, at the start of the season he was getting so much praise because they were good blocks, now he's been more unfortunate and the ball is falling to opposition or he scores and OG. A lot of the criticism is hugely unfair, however, i'm not saying that he hasn't been at fault for quite a few goals

Collapsing in front of every shot ,sliding on his arse at every cross ,taking an extra touch instead of clearing it and failing to head the ball clear is how he defends. Gets away with it at lower level but in the prem its been an embarrassment. The liverpool at home defending by Morgan was the worse performance i have ever seen(watch the highlights)

Steve Howey? Either you've not been watching longer than five years or you've got a really short memory.

You obviously cant remember and are just plucking names. Howey when he actually played looked decent. In fact, the only time we looked defensively sound that season was when Howey was paired with Scimeca.

I agree though Wes us nowhere near the worst centre back at this level we've had.

Mohan, Carey and Laursen just 3 examples.

You obviously cant remember and are just plucking names. Howey when he actually played looked decent. In fact, the only time we looked defensively sound that season was when Howey was paired with Scimeca.

I agree though Wes us nowhere near the worst centre back at this level we've had.

Mohan, Carey and Laursen just 3 examples.

Nicky Mohan was also the shiny sticker in the panini album that year.

Archived