Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Do we miss Kasper ?

Got to remember that Hamer is new to the club, only played 3-4 games and for me has a level of performance that is acceptable. Another 3-4 games he will grow in understanding of the defense and will keep gaining in confidence- he can only get better for me.

Always rated Kasper but he's going to have a fight on his hand to get back in the side.

Our defence is more solid with Hamer. Kasper is too short at this level. Excellent shot stopper but the extra quality in the PL means we don't get let off set pieces / corners like we did in championship- even last season we looked weak at defending set pieces we just got away with it. You need height in the PL I would even say we need a new keeper. David Marshall would be nice

Kasper Is going to have to fight to get into the team again and unless Hamer starts to make some mistakes then he should wait his turn, even though he is on 30k a week he is not played like the No 1 keeper this year, yes hes stopped a few shots and pulled a few reflex saves but he had some howlers and has not looked like a prem keeper and his distribution has been mince!

Kasper Is going to have to fight to get into the team again and unless Hamer starts to make some mistakes then he should wait his turn, even though he is on 30k a week he is not played like the No 1 keeper this year, yes hes stopped a few shots and pulled a few reflex saves but he had some howlers and has not looked like a prem keeper and his distribution has been mince!

I was told at Hull that Kasper is going to be out for significantly longer than expected originally because his injury isn't as straightforward as originally thought, not sure it's true.

My opinion:

Kasper is better at 1 on 1 shot stopping and with the ball at his feet, however so far Hamer has been better. The reason is because Hamer has greater presence and control of his penalty area for crosses/corners and free kicks. One of our biggest issues defensively has been letting in soft goals which in my view have occured from Kasper being rooted to his goal line leaving his defense to try and clear their lines, when Kasper could have taken control and come out for the ball.

I have not felt comfortable all season with Kasper in goal, but Hamer gives me greater confidence and with 2 clean sheets in 3 matches its not hard to see why (2 out of our 3 clean sheets have been with Hamer in goal).

He's a good to very good goalkeeper, but Schmeichel is prone to handling long balls into his box badly. And he's too hesitant to leave the space between the sticks often, instead decides to remain on his line.

Given the excellent opposition (wingers) in the Premier League, his performances have thus been underwhelming, as his weaknesses are being exploited more often due to the speed and type of football played in the top flight.

Then again, he's just about to enter the best years of a goalkeeper. I have faith in him and he will become even better, ironing out his weak points in the process.

He's a good to very good goalkeeper, but Schmeichel is prone to handling long balls into his box badly. And he's too hesitant to leave the space between the sticks often, instead decides to remain on his line.

Given the excellent opposition (wingers) in the Premier League, his performances have thus been underwhelming, as his weaknesses are being exploited more often due to the speed and type of football played in the top flight.

Then again, he's just about to enter the best years of a goalkeeper. I have faith in him and he will become even better, ironing out his weak points in the process.

I agree he'll improve, though I do wonder whether his height will be the physical attribute that stops him being a top class keeper. He reminds me a bit of Paul Robinson. An excellent shot stopper and an international, but thwarted from being one of the very best by the one thing he couldn't control..his height.

I was told at Hull that Kasper is going to be out for significantly longer than expected originally because his injury isn't as straightforward as originally thought, not sure it's true.

if true might be worth trying to get someone like Brad Friedle or Shay Given in as cover on loan

Hamer was brought in to have two (potential) premier league standard keepers. Minus the horrendous mistake he made during pre season I don't think you can fault the lad. Distribution is arguably better than Kaspers and has looked very confident coming off his line to pick up crosses, something of which I doubt with Kasper. I fully expected Kasper to regain no.1 spot when he returns but having strong healthy competition is needed for GKs at this level.

Honestly?

I am 100% of the belief that Kasper is much better than Hamer. I think the one area he excels in is his one on ones. I actually believe he would have done much better against Kane for Spurs first, and haven't seen the West Ham goals so don't know what went off there. He would have rushed out to Kane and stayed big, so I believe that's another point to Kasper.

You all seem to have this point that Kasper has poor command of his area. I think that is complete and utter sh*te. The command of his area isn't to do with claiming crosses or whatever, but his communication with his defence. I prefer his mentality because the defenders are under the impression that they have to deal with it unless he says he is coming to get it. THAT is the command of his area. Just because the 4 infront of him are invariably losing stuff in the air, that means the keeper is to blame when the second ball comes down and is rifled home? B*llocks.

*first goal against burnley is poor from Kasper though, did bottle it*

You lot should don a pair of gloves and try diving down at someone's feet with studs flying in at you. It's not as easy as you all seem to think it is after watching Cech, van der Sar and so on every Saturday night on MOTD.

Honestly?

I am 100% of the belief that Kasper is much better than Hamer. I think the one area he excels in is his one on ones. I actually believe he would have done much better against Kane for Spurs first, and haven't seen the West Ham goals so don't know what went off there. He would have rushed out to Kane and stayed big, so I believe that's another point to Kasper.

You all seem to have this point that Kasper has poor command of his area. I think that is complete and utter sh*te. The command of his area isn't to do with claiming crosses or whatever, but his communication with his defence. I prefer his mentality because the defenders are under the impression that they have to deal with it unless he says he is coming to get it. THAT is the command of his area. Just because the 4 infront of him are invariably losing stuff in the air, that means the keeper is to blame when the second ball comes down and is rifled home? B*llocks.

*first goal against burnley is poor from Kasper though, did bottle it*

You lot should don a pair of gloves and try diving down at someone's feet with studs flying in at you. It's not as easy as you all seem to think it is after watching Cech, van der Sar and so on every Saturday night on MOTD.

'Command of his area' is about control and management of situations which unravel in said area. Watching and expecting someone to do something about a situation in the box isn't commanding - coming out and decisively punching or catching a ball is.

Hamer and Kasper have a lot of positive and negative points against eachother but to say Kasper is more commanding is just plain and simply wrong. I would much rather take the opinion of Carragher and Neville (top defenders) who regularly say how reassuring it is to have a keeper come and deal with a situation than the opinion you've expressed above.

Got to remember that Hamer is new to the club, only played 3-4 games and for me has a level of performance that is acceptable. Another 3-4 games he will grow in understanding of the defense and will keep gaining in confidence- he can only get better for me.

Always rated Kasper but he's going to have a fight on his hand to get back in the side.

Impossible.

'Command of his area' is about control and management of situations which unravel in said area. Watching and expecting someone to do something about a situation in the box isn't commanding - coming out and decisively punching or catching a ball is.

Hamer and Kasper have a lot of positive and negative points against eachother but to say Kasper is more commanding is just plain and simply wrong. I would much rather take the opinion of Carragher and Neville (top defenders) who regularly say how reassuring it is to have a keeper come and deal with a situation than the opinion you've expressed above.

I think his point has gone well over your head - you don't need to come racing out to catch the ball in order to be controlling your area. The important thing is that the defence know what you're doing - and if they know in no uncertain terms that you're staying put, first ball is theirs, then you are controlling your area

Archived