Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

How is "duels" (a very, very minor part of my post) even remotely as misleading as you claiming that because Ulloa made forward passes last season he must have been playing off the front for most of last season (and as such was directly comparable to Okazaki) when anybody with a cursory knowledge of our side last season could tell you that was rubbish?

What it shows is that Okazaki is much more combative than Ulloa and more effective in winning the ball back from the opposition, sitting nicely alongside the interceptions, tackles and fouls suffered stats.

You may not like it but that is the primary function of the second striker in this team, turning the ball over. Vardy's run of form is absolutely testament to the remarkable strides he's made but it's also in large part due to the fact that the team is now set up to service him.

The team looks a million times more balanced with him in it. That's not to excuse some bad games - he wasn't good against Spurs and Southampton at all, but the fundamental principle that strikers must be scoring goals to justify their place in the team is medieval thinking.

Can agree with the last statement 100% We do look more balanced with him in it, but he does not add enough. 

It may show that okazaki is "More combative" if you want to argue 0.02 or 0.50 or whatever the stats were as a clear example he's much better, Also fouls suffered does not in anyway prove he is more "combative" 

If you have the ball, you get tackled, suffering a foul does not show how combative you are at all, so don't try to argue it does.

TTFN you can argue it all you like, Ulloa had the ball and passed it far more than Okazaki did... Your argument is that he is a "Link up player" 

He links up less than Ulloa did last year... 

What about assists?

He averaged 0.1 assists per 90 mins last season for Mainz.

So if he's not going to get goals or assists.

He doesn't particularly link MF to attack, he just there chasing the ball about, how often does he give a pass that creates a chance? People are talking about him like he's Emile Heskey and such a players offers so much more than goals, Okazaki is light years behind big Emile.

I really despair at the posters who think Okazaki is doing enough to get into this team, in January a partner for Vardy should be our No 1 priority.

We don't play with two though. Okazaki plays behind. Unless you're changing and playing Vardy behind a top striker (ie Charlie Austin EXAMPLE I DO NOT MEAN SIGN HIM FFS) ?

As for the assisting. Okazaki is often the man that wins the ball back to allow the chance to develop. Mahrez' goal at West Ham came from Okazaki persisting, our second goal at Norwich came from Okazaki initially winning the ball back deep in midfield.

I don't know how you can't see we're a better side with Okazaki in the team. Mahrez has played in that role twice now and looked lost each time. Vardy and Okazaki compliment each other so well.

Yeah let's sign Charlie Austin in January because the only logical conclusion is his goals + Vardy's goals = twice as many goals as we get at the moment.

We don't play with two though. Okazaki plays behind. Unless you're changing and playing Vardy behind a top striker (ie Charlie Austin) ?

As for the assisting. Okazaki is often the man that wins the ball back to allow the chance to develop. Mahrez' goal at West Ham came from Okazaki persisting, our second goal at Norwich came from Okazaki initially winning the ball back deep in midfield.

I don't know how you can't see we're a better side with Okazaki in the team. Mahrez has played in that role twice now and looked lost each time. Vardy and Okazaki compliment each other so well.

He's lost the ball more than he's won it in tackles this season, and makes an interception every 2 games.

I agree we are a better team with him in than without, but IMO we need better than him, he's done no more than nugent in this role and I've argued he's no better than Ulloa.

Everyone said we were better with Nugent in the team than without.

What about assists?

He averaged 0.1 assists per 90 mins last season for Mainz.

So if he's not going to get goals or assists.

He doesn't particularly link MF to attack, he just there chasing the ball about, how often does he give a pass that creates a chance? People are talking about him like he's Emile Heskey and such a players offers so much more than goals, Okazaki is light years behind big Emile.

I really despair at the posters who think Okazaki is doing enough to get into this team, in January a partner for Vardy should be our No 1 priority.

I'm not going to bother with much of that post because i'm not going to change your mind. If he doesn't make an assist then he's not the next Emile Heskey? Okay? Who said he was?

But your last point really is staggering.  We have scored about 25 goals in 12 games while we've shipped about 20 in the same time. I think it's clear as day that we need people in that can actually defend, no?

Huth has been a dissapointment and Schmeichel isn't in good nick either and neither Simpson nor De Laet is good enough.

They're the positions that are borderline desperate.

I'd then look to get another winger in (Carillo for sure) because we've only got 3 proper wingers.

I'd then look to get a number 10 to alternate with Okazaki.

Yeah let's sign Charlie Austin in January because the only logical conclusion is his goals + Vardy's goals = twice as many goals as we get at the moment.

I didn't say that. I used him an example because I couldn't think of a main striker who would be realistically available because I thought the post was insinuating we need another top striker. Thanks for the sarcasm. 

Can agree with the last statement 100% We do look more balanced with him in it, but he does not add enough. 

It may show that okazaki is "More combative" if you want to argue 0.02 or 0.50 or whatever the stats were as a clear example he's much better, Also fouls suffered does not in anyway prove he is more "combative" 

If you have the ball, you get tackled, suffering a foul does not show how combative you are at all, so don't try to argue it does.

TTFN you can argue it all you like, Ulloa had the ball and passed it far more than Okazaki did... Your argument is that he is a "Link up player" 

It shows that you're willing to get stuck in or that you're a target for the opposition and they'd rather take you out than see you continue running with the ball.

Take your pick.

Charlie Austin would be a poor buy for us.

I don't have time to argue with you, you've proven time and again that you'll flog a dead horse for 5 pages until the other person is bored into non-response.

My point is perfectly clear - is that he's there to disrupt the opposition primarily and link our midfield and attack secondarily. He does the first part of that excellently and the second part less well.

Also your heat maps are irrelevant to your point about Ulloa being the focal point of the attack. Of course he dropped back into the middle of the pitch from time to time, I wasn't suggesting he spent literally the whole game in the opposition's penalty area. If you're really interested in getting a feel for what his position is/was relative to other players go to whoscored.com and look at their player maps. It's all about his position relative to others.

We don't play with two though. Okazaki plays behind. Unless you're changing and playing Vardy behind a top striker (ie Charlie Austin) ?

I've just googled myself to remind myself of Okazaki's contribution in those two goals.

Against Norwich he won the ball in his own half, well done Okazaki but he can take little credit for the goal as 99% of the time Norwich don't concede from that position at the point when they lose the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Bokd0rf2w

On this one (2:22) he can't take that much credit either as he gets the ball, shields it and passes to Albrighton who then does all the work to create the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZk1Mv000g

I hope he succeeds here but apart from his goal this return is poor for a No 10 in a team that is averaging two goals per game if these are the best examples you can give us.

I didn't say that. I used him an example because I couldn't think of a main striker who would be realistically available because I thought the post was insinuating we need another top striker. Thanks for the sarcasm.

I wasn't replying to you (I hadn't read your post when I posted). Sorry!

I'm not saying Okazaki is the worst player we've ever had or doesn't bring something to the team but ask yourselves this.

How many of the best teams in the world would accept their No10 not assisting or scoring goals because he harasses defenders and makes some tackles?

The main role of a No 10 is to add offensively which Okazaki does minimally for us.

I'm not saying Okazaki is the worst player we've ever had or doesn't bring something to the team but ask yourselves this.

How many of the best teams in the world would accept their No10 not assisting or scoring goals because he harasses defenders and makes some tackles?

The main role of a No 10 is to add offensively which Okazaki does minimally for us.

We're not one of the best teams in the world though?!

Surely the improvement speaks for itself? We're third and playing very well...

No, no, no Fox92!??!

Okazaki doesn't have a number in the assists collumn so how can he possibly be as good?!

Ignore the fact its clear to all that he plays so much better than Nugent. That's just irrelevant of course.

Can someone post Okazaki this year against Nugent last year? I want to see the big improvement!

A lot less offensively than Nugent, better defensive stats though which is like when I read about Benalouane when we signed him one of his strengths was dribbling. Terrific I thought to myself.  :rolleyes:

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/david_nugent/126/126/10717/0/p#goals_scored/assists/key_passes/chances_created/attack_score#90

We're not one of the best teams in the world though?!

Debateable.  :D

The point I'm making is a No 10 that was fantastic at getting the ball back but did next to nothing offensively wouldn't be anywhere near a world class team.

How secure is Okazaki in our team? What positions would you look to strengthen before you replaced him?

Surely the improvement speaks for itself? We're third and playing very well...

No. The improvement in the team speaks for the players that have upped there game considerably. Drinkwater, Vardy & Riyad etc. And those that have added something we didn't have before like te combative tackling of Kante or experience and defensive ability of Fuchs.

The fact your trying to use the good work of other people (mostly Vardy) to credit Okazaki is embarrassing.

Archived