Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

Aside from not taking the shot when it presented itself I thought he helped a lot and made a good contribution. We were missing a link between midfield and attack that Mahrez just doesn't provide when we're sitting deep. He brought a lot of fouls and was important in the last 15 minutes when we were holding onto the lead.

First game I've seen all the way through this season, do we always not bother turning up in the first half then decide to press and attack in the second half? 

Whether you rate him or not bringing the level of the debate down to individual events like he should have shot or passed the ball is not adding anything.

You could pick any player and identify when they could have done something different but it doesn't define their overall contribution to the game or team.

He impressed me in the Sunderland game with his closing down and general work rate but since then and the West Ham game he's been off the boil. He's not driving forward or making forward passes and opting for the easy side or backwards and thus losing momentum from the attack. Leo is a much better partner for Vardy IMHO.

Actually Jeff is perfect. absolutely woeful attacking wise, but works hard and runs a lot. Shinji will never get close to the level of the other named 3, especially the first 2.

Schlupp, run lol

I've never seen a player with so much pace use it so rarely. He often has space to run into but just dallies on the ball.

Already posted what I think of SO and glad to see we have the usual polarised views !

Just one more thing I wanted to pick up on, which nobody seems to like, (definitely me !), is his diving.  Quite rightly the refs are trying to get tough on this ...    but a dive is closely related to drawing a foul which is not against the rules and is a big part of todays game.   JV is an absolute master at this and it helps us win games.  Calamity Gomes got sucked in like a good un this Saturday .....   and Vardys somersault after contact was a definite 10 in my book !    I think Jamie needs to teach him some of the dark arts ....   wait till contact is made before you fly into the air and don't throw your head back like you've just had a poker rammed up your ar*e.  If he could master this and get some confidence by scoring a few goals we may be on to a winner.

Was genuinely surprised that Leo was dropped after last week, as was highlighted, when Mahrez scored his 1st they had 3 men in and around leo in the box.

I still think that used correctly him and Vardy are our best partnership now Nuge has gone, those 2 seemed to link up really well.

I understand why Shinji came on at the weekend when he did to try and close down, add a bit more energy up front, but honestly I have yet to see what he offers, he spends so much time too deep, and as has been mentioned if he does back into or try to roll the defender he seems to end up on the deck for little or no reason, waving his arms about like he is trying to guide the owners plane into land.

All of this, top line in particular.

I so desperately want him to succeed and contribute more on the scoring side of things.

imagine my sense of anticipation when Shinji made that swift move into the Watford box around the 52nd minute, only to be let down by some poor ball control... Oh, what could've been...

Agree completely.

He came here as a consistent goalscorer, too many people now throwing him a lifeline saying that's not his job anymore... If he starts scoring and looks like he could match Ulloa last season then I'll back him every week. 

But right now Leo is better and adds more.

Whether you rate him or not bringing the level of the debate down to individual events like he should have shot or passed the ball is not adding anything.

You could pick any player and identify when they could have done something different but it doesn't define their overall contribution to the game or team.

I guess we simply need to say goodbye to the idea of Shinji Okazaki being a goalscoring striker.

Maybe his stats at Mainz have acted a bit like a smokescreen and people were expecting more or at least something different from him.

By no means am I slating his influence on the pitch - with his workrates and stamina, he's a pest to play against because he always puts a foot in both going forward as well as further back in our own half.

There's no need to slate him for the fact that he's a proper team player and covers a vast area whenever he's on the field.

But a striker in the classic sense? Hmm... Not so sure. I'd call him a very gifted utility player with a slightly superior pitch coverage than Kanté. :D

I guess we simply need to say goodbye to the idea of Shinji Okazaki being a goalscoring striker.

Maybe his stats at Mainz have acted a bit like a smokescreen and people were expecting more or at least something different from him.

By no means am I slating his influence on the pitch - with his workrates and stamina, he's a pest to play against because he always puts a foot in both going forward as well as further back in our own half.

There's no need to slate him for the fact that he's a proper team player and covers a vast area whenever he's on the field.

But a striker in the classic sense? Hmm... Not so sure. I'd call him a very gifted utility player with a slightly superior pitch coverage than Kanté. :D

problem is he comes into Leicester on the back of a pretty consistent career ratio of 1 in 3... He's only been inconsistent upfront when he played for Stuttgart.

2008 - 11

2009 - 17

2010 - 16

Stuttgart - 13 in 3 seasons 

2013/14 - 15

2014/15 - 14

This idea that he's not a goalscorer is simply not true, he's just not been one for us so far, however over his career he's been pretty consistent, I'd happily accept 10 goals from him but at this rate he won't get 5, nugent was considered not good enough with that return. 

I was heavily criticised on here about three weeks a go when I said we need to sign a new No 10 as Shinji doesn't look like scoring or creating goals. I was told I don't really understand the game because he runs around a lot.  :rolleyes:

I look at our team and where are the goals coming from?

Our centre halves don't contribute like Walsh, Elliott and Taggart used to.

Our centre midfielders have one goal between them in 24 games.

Anything we get from our full backs are a bonus.

So that leaves the two wide players and two forwards.

Obviously Vardy and Mahrez are excelling with 1.74 goals and 0.6 assists per 90 mins between them.

We can't rely on those two to keep scoring the goals and the back four and two CM's will have a minimal return so we need goals from our other wide player and second striker.

Our wide player at current levels should score 6.65 goals this season and make 16.66 assists which is a very good return.

Our second strikers at current levels will 4.16 goals and assists this season. It's just not good enough and either someone has to step up and perform or we have to buy someone who will.

I was heavily criticised on here about three weeks a go when I said we need to sign a new No 10 as Shinji doesn't look like scoring or creating goals. I was told I don't really understand the game because he runs around a lot.  :rolleyes:

I look at our team and where are the goals coming from?

Our centre halves don't contribute like Walsh, Elliott and Taggart used to.

Our centre midfielders have one goal between them in 24 games.

Anything we get from our full backs are a bonus.

So that leaves the two wide players and two forwards.

Obviously Vardy and Mahrez are excelling with 1.74 goals and 0.6 assists per 90 mins between them.

We can't rely on those two to keep scoring the goals and the back four and two CM's will have a minimal return so we need goals from our other wide player and second striker.

Our wide player at current levels should score 6.65 goals this season and make 16.66 assists which is a very good return.

Our second strikers at current levels will 4.16 goals and assists this season. It's just not good enough and either someone has to step up and perform or we have to buy someone who will.

I agree but you have to balance this with the fact we are the second highest scoring team in the Premiership.   Its goals against that is doing for us at the moment ...      only the bottom six clubs have a leakier defence.

I agree but you have to balance this with the fact we are the second highest scoring team in the Premiership. Its goals against that is doing for us at the moment ... only the bottom six clubs have a leakier defence.

Are you trying to credit Okazaki for that?

I agree but you have to balance this with the fact we are the second highest scoring team in the Premiership.   Its goals against that is doing for us at the moment ...      only the bottom six clubs have a leakier defence.

I agree, we're one goal off Man City who are the highest scorers in the league and they've just spent £100m on two players who play in the three behind the striker.

I'm not complaining about the goals we've scored just highlighting the elephant in the room. We have 25 goals this season which is tremendous but you can't get away from the fact that only one goal and one assist has come from what should be the second highest contributor of these stats. we are doing great despite of Okazaki not because of him.

I agree, we're one goal off Man City who are the highest scorers in the league and they've just spent £100m on two players who play in the three behind the striker.

I'm not complaining about the goals we've scored just highlighting the elephant in the room. We have 25 goals this season which is tremendous but you can't get away from the fact that only one goal and one assist has come from what should be the second highest contributor of these stats. we are doing great despite of Okazaki not because of him.

.....  and I agree with you.  But there are several players who should be scoring more.   But those that are not scoring are part of a team currently third in the league ....  

.....  and I agree with you.  But there are several players who should be scoring more.   But those that are not scoring are part of a team currently third in the league ....  

Yes but you have a lot more excuses for the back four as it's there job to stop goals.

Our CM's are our engine room and doing a good job despite the lack of goals.

The two forwards will always be judged on goals and assists.

Yes but you have a lot more excuses for the back four as it's there job to stop goals.

Our CM's are our engine room and doing a good job despite the lack of goals.

The two forwards will always be judged on goals and assists.

I think we are saying the same thing.   I would love to see the big boys at the back coming up and scoring a hatful each at corners and set pieces.  Equally, the wing backs should be getting more ....    and if DD scored a few then he might even make the England team.  Yes, SO should be getting some too but at the moment he isn't ....   and at the moment JV is on fire.    Apart from Leo which is a different proposition we don't have a lot of choices ....    get a new player by all means but OVERALL what we have now is working.

You did say its the back fours job to stop goals .....     errr,  it would be nice if they did.

What's his position then? On the shoulder of last man? lol

He's usually brought on to stifle opposing attacks early on as a striker-turned-central midfielder and to add further confusion as an additional attacking element available going forward.

I mean, with the run we're on right now, we're moaning on a rather high level here. This is a luxury issue to have.

Of course, I'd like him to contribute more in the opposing box apart from one goal in twelve outings, especially if/when Vardy and Mahrez start stuttering.

Archived