Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

We have a ready made replacement in Kante should Okazaki get injured seems a lot of people keep telling me I shouldn't judge him on goals and assists because he runs about a bit.

Kante would run about more and make more tackles and interceptions.

I'm joking in case some of you don't do irony.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/n$golo_kanté/165/165/14999/0/p#goals_scored/assists/key_passes/total_forward_passes/attack_score#90

Yes, where Vardy plays.

He left Stuttgart to play the main striker role and he started scoring goals again.

He should be on the bench and used as an understudy for Vardy imo.

He played pretty much a main striker role in one of his worst games in a blue shirt, against a second string championship team. Understudy to Vardy? No thanks, he's not fit to lace his boots and should be replaced in the summer if not earlier, try and get some money back on him.

He's usually brought on to stifle opposing attacks early on as a striker-turned-central midfielder and to add further confusion as an additional forward player available going forward..

Did Nugent not do that as good if not better than him? Sorry but I don't see him as an improvement.

I understand the role that he does is important, but plenty of players can do that. Nugent was sold because he couldn't chip in enough as well and offer other things, which is fair enough, but Okazaki isn't either? And is just as old as Nugent?

He played pretty much a main striker role in one of his worst games in a blue shirt, against a second string championship team. Understudy to Vardy? No thanks, he's not fit to lace his boots and should be replaced in the summer if not earlier, try and get some money back on him.

lol You're talking about a full international, a player that has scored 15 goals for the two seasons in Germany's top division.

Can you not see what Okazaki brings? Did you not see bringing Okazaki on changed the game again on Saturday?

lol You're talking about a full international, a player that has scored 15 goals for the two seasons in Germany's top division.

Can you not see what Okazaki brings? Did you not see bringing Okazaki on changed the game again on Saturday?

No. The 2nd half was always going to change, was nothing to do with okazaki coming on, both teams spent the first half eyeing eachother up, I've been waiting for someone to say this, Even the commentators said that both teams were trying to work eachother out, and that the 2nd half would likely be more electric as both teams go for it...

At the time I was just waiting for someone to suggest it was okazaki that sparked it. 

It would have happened if he had come on or not.

He's usually brought on to stifle opposing attacks early on as a striker-turned-central midfielder and to add further confusion as an additional forward player available going forward.

I mean, with the run we're on right now, we're moaning on a rather high level here. This is a luxury issue to have.

Of course, I'd like him to contribute more in the opposing box apart from one goal in twelve outings, especially if/when Vardy and Mahrez start stuttering.

But who's said that? That's what our fans have determined to throw him a lifeline because he's not doing much... 

Bit harsh but someone mentioned him as a glorified Iain hume, he's obviously alot better than IH, but he's essentially the same player at a higher level. 

Weak, Can't win headers, Links up play, hardly scores. 

He's consistently scored goals throughout his career apart from when played out of position at Stuttgart. 

He's a striker and he needs to start scoring goals. 

Ulloa scored 14 playing the deep striker role last season, okazaki won't get 5 at this rate.

Ulloa is currently better than Okazaki, I hope he proves me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

No. The 2nd half was always going to change, was nothing to do with okazaki coming on, both teams spent the first half eyeing eachother up, I've been waiting for someone to say this, Even the commentators said that both teams were trying to work eachother out, and that the 2nd half would likely be more electric as both teams go for it...

At the time I was just waiting for someone to suggest it was okazaki that sparked it. 

Mahrez wasn't working behind the striker. He hasn't got the aggression or work rate Okazaki has got. The game changed when Okazaki came on and played behind (and Mahrez was pushed wide). This is what we should play (drop Schlupp).

Vardy and Okazaki compliment each other so well because they're similar players. I like Ulloa but he's not fast enough to play in our style. 

But who's said that? That's what our fans have determined to throw him a lifeline because he's not doing much... 

Bit harsh but someone mentioned him as a glorified Iain hume, he's obviously alot better than IH, but he's essentially the same player at a higher level. 

Weak, Can't win headers, Links up play, hardly scores. 

He's consistently scored goals throughout his career apart from when played out of position at Stuttgart. 

He's a striker and he needs to start scoring goals. 

Ulloa scored 14 playing the deep striker role last season, okazaki won't get 5 at this rate.

Ulloa is currently better than Okazaki, I hope he proves me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

We must be watching different players. Okazaki has won numerous challenges in the air this season. His goal at Upton Park springs to mind. He might get shoved off the ball a bit but at least he does all the hard work (like Vardy does). He's prepared to drop very deep and as I've said before some of our goals this season have come from Okazaki initially winning the ball back in a very deep position.

Mahrez wasn't working behind the striker. He hasn't got the aggression or work rate Okazaki has got. The game changed when Okazaki came on and played behind (and Mahrez was pushed wide). This is what we should play (drop Schlupp).

Vardy and Okazaki compliment each other so well because they're similar players. I like Ulloa but he's not fast enough to play in our style. 

He played pretty well in his last appearance, we played fast football... 

Cannot agree that okazaki changed the game. It was always going to change after a pretty average 1st half eyeing eachother up.

Still not seen anyone describe what he actually does. All I've read is we play better when he's in the team and he's got good work rate. On the ball he's been very poor and he is really really weak.

Want him to do well here but so far it just hasn't happened

Still not seen anyone describe what he actually does. All I've read is we play better when he's in the team and he's got good work rate. On the ball he's been very poor and he is really really weak.

Want him to do well here but so far it just hasn't happened

Totally agree mate. Kramaric is getting dogs abuse these days but Okazaki is still afforded excuses for what he's serving up. We badly need another striker in if Ranieri isn't going to give Ulloa more game time and it's fairly clear that Kramaric's days are numbered. He is a support striker yet has played about 5 minutes of PL football so far for us this season and looked horrible in the cup.

Vardy, we're talking about a guy who has spent his career up until 26 in non league. Does that make him bad? By the same token, the previous record/level of Okazaki means nothing.

The game did change second half. Was it because Okazaki was good? Was it because Mahrez was bad in that position? Was it because schlupp went off and was doggo? Was it because Mahrez grew in influence out wide? I cannot tell you 100% what it was, but when I try to put my finger on what Okazaki did, I remember more bad than good.

Totally agree mate. Kramaric is getting dogs abuse these days but Okazaki is still afforded excuses for what he's serving up. We badly need another striker in if Ranieri isn't going to give Ulloa more game time and it's fairly clear that Kramaric's days are numbered. He is a support striker yet has played about 5 minutes of PL football so far for us this season and looked horrible in the cup.

Okazaki gives us more than Kramaric. Not doubting Kramaric is a good player, just look at his goalscoring record (even at International level)... Agree on signing another striker though. If Vardy gets injured I worry who will score the goals atm.

Okazaki gives us more than Kramaric. Not doubting Kramaric is a good player, just look at his goalscoring record (even at International level)... Agree on signing another striker though. If Vardy gets injured I worry who will score the goals atm.

This is true no matter how little Okazaki has shown

No it wouldn't.

Cannot agree that okazaki changed the game. It was always going to change after a pretty average 1st half eyeing eachother up.

Just don't understand how you work that one out ???   Sounds like a boxing match.

Where are you getting this "eyeing each other up" stuff from? Didn't look like it from where I was sat.

The change - Mahrez wide and Okazaki behind - changed the game. Mahrez behind doesn't work and with Schlupp it's even worse. Like I said previous, Okazaki will drop very deep to win the ball back, he will make challenges, he will do all that hard work that Mahrez and Schlupp don't do in the same role. 

The game was crying out for the change. Everywhere sat near me said the same thing.

Just don't understand how you work that one out ??? Sounds like a boxing match.

Not speaking for Lee but the stats this season prove that we like to exploit teams in the second half when their legs have gone. Our fitness levels and high pressing game allow us to do this very well

Not speaking for Lee but the stats this season prove that we like to exploit teams in the second half when their legs have gone. Our fitness levels and high pressing game allow us to do this very well

Something that Okazaki brings...

Quite right.  But whats all this eyeing each other up boll*x ?     CR reshaped the team and we played a lot better ....   The Tinkerman tinkering at his best after trying something out that didn't work.

I wish I had the superpower to see in to the future which you appear to have. I'd use it for much better things than arguing (in hindsight) on a football forum though lol

Something that Okazaki brings...

True. That stat works in his favour too for when people say we looked better second half after Okazaki got dragged off. Can't ignore one and accept the other

Quite right. But whats all this eyeing each other up boll*x ?

I don't know lol

Guessing he means it was cagey and neither team fully commited to leaving space in behind

True. That stat works in his favour too for when people say we looked better second half after Okazaki got dragged off. Can't ignore one and accept the other

Oh yeah definitely, I can't argue with that. Sometimes I've been at games and thought Okazaki needs to come off, other times I think he needs to come on (such as on Saturday). Like most players.

I just can't get my head around those that think bringing Okazaki on this week didn't change the game when it quite evidently did.

Oh yeah definitely, I can't argue with that. Sometimes I've been at games and thought Okazaki needs to come off, other times I think he needs to come on (such as on Saturday). Like most players.

I just can't get my head around those that think bringing Okazaki on this week didn't change the game when it quite evidently did.

It's hard to argue that it didn't. Again I'm just not sure he did anything well in particular. In fairness I'm that drawn to watching Vardy maybe I just didn't notice lol

The only thing I remember him doing was that little run through the middle and I was screaming for him to either shoot or slide it through to Mahrez (I think) but he did neither and was easily dispossessed.

His workrate alone is making him a cut above Kramaric but in terms of taking a game by the scruff of the neck he's just not doing it for me atm

Archived