Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

We have four defenders that rarely score

Our two CM's have one goal between them.

Albrighton has scored one goal out wide.

Of the three places left Mahrez and Vardy have a bucket load of goals between them but people want to relieve our No 10 of being expected to contribute in either goals or assists.

I don't like the assumption that our FW and RM are expected to contribute with 80% of the goals in this team whilst the No 10 is relieved of these expectations whilst he chases defenders about. This is not the recipe for a successful team long term.

Sigh...almost like you didn't bother to read or take in what was said.

The team feeds Vardy - Okazaki plays into that through a combination of forcing errors through his hassling and drawing space through his movement. 

Can't say I've seen Kante as having the wits about him to draw away defenders and create space like Okazaki has done, so no. 

Can you quantify this? Have you any examples ? If on the odd occasion he has done this is it more often than you would expect any striker to do for his partner?

My gut feeling is you're making foundless assumptions to support you're argument but the reality is he probably does this an average amount at best than other No 10's.

The stats are already indicating that Okazaki has nothing to do with us being third in the table so that reason is a coincidence and quite lame IMO.

Okazaki has shown so far to be a bad buy, he's 29 and contributes next to nothing offensively. Does anyone seriously think we have made a shrewd purchase buy him? Would anyone not sell him for what we paid for him in January given half a chance?

I'd much prefer to see an Emile Heskey type in their that causes havoc and would be a great foil for Vardy. Big, strong, quick and good in the air to help with set pieces in both boxes. Someone like that Breel Embolo we've been linked with,

That's an absolutely shocking shout. Terrible. It would completely change the way we play for the worse. You've had a mare. You've a horrible lack of understanding of the game. Ugly.

FFS guys. We are 3rd . Irrespective of whether you see Shinji as a good buy we are still 3rd . Enjoy it.

I can see both sides to the argument, however. Personally, as said a couple of pages back, I think Shinji adds a better balance to the team, especially in our current formation. What we really need is a Payet-type player who is accustomed to the no.10 role, but Shinji isn't doing a bad job. It hasn't been a great start for the lad, but I remember a certain Jamie Vardy having a terrible first season with us, and I gather he's doing pretty well nowerdays. Give Shinji time.

I do understand people's frustrations with him, but he's a Leicester city player. Get behind him, and look forward to the good times ahead.

That's an absolutely shocking shout. Terrible. It would completely change the way we play for the worse. You've had a mare. You've a horrible lack of understanding of the game. Ugly.

So we'd be more successful with Okazaki in that role than the Emile Heskey who was at Leicester?

Right O mate, keep taking that medication.

I'm beginning to see the error of my ways and maybe everyone else is right. Okazaki was in the last 50 this year for Balon d'Or, reading this I'm disgusted he never won it.  lol

So we'd be more successful with Okazaki in that role than the Emile Heskey who was at Leicester?

I'm beginning to see the error of my ways and maybe everyone else is right. Okazaki was in the last 50 this year for Balon d'Or, reading this I'm disgusted he never won it.  lol

Okazaki playing the defensive forward with the obscenely attacking Vardy, Mahrez and Albrighton gives better balance to our team.

Whether you want to agree with it or not doesn't make it less true.

I'm beginning to see the error of my ways and maybe everyone else is right. Okazaki was in the last 50 this year for Balon d'Or, reading this I'm disgusted he never won it. lol

If you can't see how pressuring from the front benefits our style of play more than a target man would then I don't know what to say.

Heskey was a better player than Okazaki and we'd probably do well by adjusting our style of play to suit him, but we don't have Heskey and we're not likely to sign anyone as good as he was, so right now it's about playing to our strengths and Okazaki is well suited to that.

FFS guys. We are 3rd . Irrespective of whether you see Shinji as a good buy we are still 3rd . Enjoy it.

I can see both sides to the argument, however. Personally, as said a couple of pages back, I think Shinji adds a better balance to the team, especially in our current formation. What we really need is a Payet-type player who is accustomed to the no.10 role, but Shinji isn't doing a bad job. It hasn't been a great start for the lad, but I remember a certain Jamie Vardy having a terrible first season with us, and I gather he's doing pretty well nowerdays. Give Shinji time.

I do understand people's frustrations with him, but he's a Leicester city player. Get behind him, and look forward to the good times ahead.

I want Okazaki to succeed, as an ardent Leicester fan why wouldn't I?

Being third in the table is irrelevant, we are there in spite of Okazaki not because of him.

Jamie Vardy has always harassed defenders even when he wasn't scoring goals, now he's scoring goals and harassing defenders. If Vardy and Okazaki go the next dozen games without a goal will people be so accepting of Okazaki then?

At some point Vardy will have some mean reversion on his goalscoring and go half a dozen games without a goal. I'm sorry but I can't accept a No10 in our team who has no expectations of scoring or assisting in goals, it's a long term recipe for failure.

If you can't see how pressuring from the front benefits our style of play more than a target man would then I don't know what to say.

Heskey was a better player than Okazaki and we'd probably do well by adjusting our style of play to suit him, but we don't have Heskey and we're not likely to sign anyone as good as he was, so right now it's about playing to our strengths and Okazaki is well suited to that.

I can see what Okazaki brings to the team, I like his energy and willingness to do the ugly side of the game but if you think it's acceptable for no expectations for our No 10 to contribute in goals or assists we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For me a partner for Vardy in the No 10 role is the first area we need to improve in our team come January if we can get the right player in for the right price.

Being third in the table is irrelevant, we are there in spite of Okazaki not because of him.

Jamie Vardy has always harassed defenders even when he wasn't scoring goals, now he's scoring goals and harassing defenders. If Vardy and Okazaki go the next dozen games without a goal will people be so accepting of Okazaki then?

At some point Vardy will have some mean reversion on his goalscoring and go half a dozen games without a goal. I'm sorry but I can't accept a No10 in our team who has no expectations of scoring or assisting in goals, it's a long term recipe for failure.

Honestly, are you even thinking?

We've got a striker on 12 goals, a winger on 7 goals and 5 assists and another winger on 1 goal and 5 assists.

I would say it's beneficial to the team to have a player such as Okazaki who can keep the team balance correct, keep the ball in the opposition half and harrass defenders enough to make mistakes. Thus allowing the players who we do have expect to score and assist the freedom to work and flourish.

He plays the ugly side to the game that allows other players the opportunity to flourish. He's an important cog in our machine at the moment.

I can see what Okazaki brings to the team, I like his energy and willingness to do the ugly side of the game but if you think it's acceptable for no expectations for our No 10 to contribute in goals or assists we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For me a partner for Vardy in the No 10 role is the first area we need to improve in our team come January if we can get the right player in for the right price.

If we can find a player who does everything that shinji does and can score 15 goals for the right price then I'm sure we'll go for him. I wouldn't say that's a priority though.

Surely if we are to accept the possibility/probability that Vardy's goal scoring record will decline then must also accept the possibility/probability that Okazaki's will increase (revert to the mean)? His record at Mainz was close to one in two, currently it is one in 8.

Oh and did he really just suggest that Emile would be good for us in the number 10 role?

lol

****ing hell lol

Yes, you need to stop thinking about traditional boxing of players and open your mind a bit.

I could see Heskey linking Vardy to midfield with flick ons to Vardy from his head or feet. Or powering at defences and creating havoc in the defence whilst Vardy runs into space. A lot of strikers will tell you that Emile was the best strike partner they ever played with and all those players are traditional No 9's like Michael Owen.

A No 10 doesn't have to be like a Zidane to prosper.

Surely if we are to accept the possibility/probability that Vardy's goal scoring record will decline then must also accept the possibility/probability that Okazaki's will increase (revert to the mean)? His record at Mainz was close to one in two, currently it is one in 8.

We've seen no evidence that Okazaki will revert to the mean, apart from his goal against West Ham I can't recall him anywhere near scoring so some examples would be appreciated if you can think of some. Maybe three goals a season is the mean for Okazaki at Leicester?

Yes, you need to stop thinking about traditional boxing of players and open your mind a bit.

I could see Heskey linking Vardy to midfield with flick ons to Vardy from his head or feet. Or powering at defences and creating havoc in the defence whilst Vardy runs into space. A lot of strikers will tell you that Emile was the best strike partner they ever played with and all those players are traditional No 9's like Michael Owen.

A No 10 doesn't have to be like a Zidane to prosper.

Did I say that?

You suggested that Emile would be better for us in the position Okazaki plays now. Which he absolutely wouldn't be, I can't even believe you're suggesting that he would.

Izzett would be the player from that era that i'd put in that position. Capable of joining the attacking play but can get his head down and do the real dirty stuff. In fact, he'd be absolutely ideal right now.

Honestly, are you even thinking?

We've got a striker on 12 goals, a winger on 7 goals and 5 assists and another winger on 1 goal and 5 assists.

I would say it's beneficial to the team to have a player such as Okazaki who can keep the team balance correct, keep the ball in the opposition half and harrass defenders enough to make mistakes. Thus allowing the players who we do have expect to score and assist the freedom to work and flourish.

He plays the ugly side to the game that allows other players the opportunity to flourish. He's an important cog in our machine at the moment.

So because Vardy and Mahrez are exceeding all expectations on the goals and assists front then Okazaki doesn't have to?  :rolleyes:

We have scored 25 goals this season and Okazaki has contributed 1 goal and zero assists. That's 25 goals and he hasn't made the assist in any of them.

The best people come up with to define his worth is him winning a tackle in our own half against Norwich which just so happened to lead to a goal four passes later or against West Ham when he passed a five yard ball to Albrighton who beat a man and made a sublime pass to Mahrez who done a great finish.

Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes on here now. 

So because Vardy and Mahrez are exceeding all expectations on the goals and assists front then Okazaki doesn't have to?  :rolleyes:

We have scored 25 goals this season and Okazaki has contributed 1 goal and zero assists. That's 25 goals and he hasn't made the assist in any of them.

The best people come up with to define his worth is him winning a tackle in our own half against Norwich which just so happened to lead to a goal four passes later or against West Ham when he passed a five yard ball to Albrighton who beat a man and made a sublime pass to Mahrez who done a great finish.

Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes on here now. 

By the same logic, you could argue that Drinkwater hasn't contributed. Yet, of course, we both know that he is integral to our team.

Everybody has said he hasn't contributed enough with regards to goals, assists or goal mouth threat.

But just because Okazaki hasn't directly contributed doesn't mean he hasn't had significant importance for the team

'fickle at best'?! What?! 

I've tried to stay out of this embarrassing thread but that's such a strange and inaccurate statement. 

There is a huge elephant in the room with this thread.

He offers nothing on attack yet is let off the hook because "it's not his job." While we keep winning not many people are going to find that to be problem.

So he's viewed as a defensive instead but he's not at fault we've let in so many goals because "it's not his job" either.

Because nothing is his job, he obviously can't be criticized for anything. So how could be be doing a good job?

His overly specific job which people have rarely defined and rather say that they "get it" is attacking/middle third defensive pressure and time wasting free kick winning flopping. Okay, that's great. Actually defining what his purpose is is a great start into figuring out is he helping the team pick up points.

Can we see him pressing and winning free kicks? Yes. Does that help the team pick up points? Prove it.

How do we pick up points? Score more or equal goals than/to the opponent.

That needs to be quantified somehow and I think comparing GF vs. GA is the best way to do it because his pressing should result in making it more difficult for the opponent to score and get us the ball back which should help us score more (even if he's not part of the attacking sequence) as well.

Is that happening? I said I don't think so.

Yet you say I'm inaccurate? Why?

By the same logic, you could argue that Drinkwater hasn't contributed. Yet, of course, we both know that he is integral to our team.

Everybody has said he hasn't contributed enough with regards to goals, assists or goal mouth threat.

But just because Okazaki hasn't directly contributed doesn't mean he hasn't had significant importance for the team

Drinkwater has been excellent this season but to become a top PL player he will need to start contributing more goals and assists as I'm sure he'd admit himself with him being the more offensive player of the two CM's. His main job is to be the engine room of the team and protect the defence and link the attacks, His lack of goals aren't a concern as that isn't an essential in his role.

I would argue that Okazaki hasn't been significantly important in our team and the stats so far imply that I'm right and you're wrong.

Would we really be further down the table if Okazaki wan't bought this summer and Ulloa, Kramaric, Inler or King were added to the team instead of him?

Drinkwater has been excellent this season but to become a top PL player he will need to start contributing more goals and assists as I'm sure he'd admit himself with him being the more offensive player of the two CM's. His main job is to be the engine room of the team and protect the defence and link the attacks, His lack of goals aren't a concern as that isn't an essential in his role.

I would argue that Okazaki hasn't been significantly important in our team and the stats so far imply that I'm right and you're wrong.

Would we really be further down the table if Okazaki wan't bought this summer and Ulloa, Kramaric, Inler or King were added to the team instead of him?

Difficult to say. Ulloa has played and not contributed a whole lot during his pitch time either. Inler, most agree, has been woeful so far. And you just won't see either Inler or King pressuring defenders and deep midfielders for 60-90 mins. Kramaric is anyone's guess...

I don't see why we have to brand players as "top PL" quality, when that's not what we were aiming for at the start of the season. Drinkwater is contributing by doing exactly what you described, linking defence and attack. Okazaki is figuratively speaking doing the groundwork for DD, by stressing defenders and midfielders so that Kanté/DD and the defense can turn over possession. How are you going to do a stat on that? Possibly sprints per minutes played?

While I've been frustrated and disappointed with Okazaki's output so far, I am starting to recognise that he does contribute more than just running around like a headless chicken.

Archived