Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

FA Cup winners 2015 or...

Imagine a scenario where we win the FA Cup this season by beating 6 Premier League teams whilst being relegated with only 5 wins.

What would some people make of that?

well at least we didn't beat Cheltenham, southend and plymouth on route.

I'm still fine with it.

Some strange replies in here.

Football is about winning things, not about surviving or making billionaires even richer.

ladies and gentlemen we have a nail on head.

Some strange replies in here.

Football is about winning things, not about surviving or making billionaires even richer.

Exactly. It's not like the money for finishing 17th is finding its way to us. The memories of winning the cup would be for every Leicester fan to cherish.

Exactly. It's not like the money for finishing 17th is finding its way to us. The memories of winning the cup would be for every Leicester fan to cherish.

That's exactly my thoughts, the money from the prem doesn't go back to the fans. In fact it costs us, as fans, more to watch our team play less games against teams who have more money.

We waited ten years to get back into the Premier League where a lot of our fans have described this period as the worst in the club's history. Surely then, success or failure, depends on the league performance not on a cup competition. The league is the biggest and hardest prize there is in football. We are not going to win the premier league, but success for us is survival this season. As someone above said it would be sad if we went down winning less games, then in the fa cup. 

Really think for a lot of people it seems as though the FA cup is just to satisfy a checklist, because we haven't won it before, rather than the meaning of winning trophy. 

As I've said previously, if we can establish ourselves in the league, we will be in a better position to actually genuinely compete in the FA cup. Surely, this is sustainable and more desirable. 

Here's another way of looking at it then.

Would anyone trade our two League Cup wins during the O'Neill years for two extra seasons before we were relegated?

I...wouldn't.

Exactly, and that's tinpot compared to the FA Cup.

Some people need to realise we are Leicester City, in reality we'll always be a club who spends it's time in between the top two divisions.

Here's another way of looking at it then.

Would anyone trade our two League Cup wins during the O'Neill years for two extra seasons before we were relegated?

I...wouldn't.

Good point, in hindsight if we knew it was only going to be two more seasons of course not. BUT, at the time we didn't know we were going to be relegated, so my answer would not have changed at the time. I don't buy the argument that we are confined to being a 'yo-yo' team. Whether we do or we do not, we should always strive to become a force in this league. Stoke and Swansea have done it in recent years, and both made the FA cup final in recent years. Stoke and Swansea, have both made a name for themselves continentally, because of establishing themselves in this league. The FA cup does not have the same exposure. I have to admit I forgot Swansea even won it, and Wigan only came to mind because of the shock of beating Man City. 

My take on this is:

First and foremost, weve had 2 fantastic wins in the FA Cup, but there is still 4 games to have to win, and that starts with a tough trip to Villa in the next round. So we have to temper the excitement just a little and realise that there is a lot of football to be played before we could win the cup. But of course, the dream is to win it.

Ive got mixed feelings about the either/or scenario we are discussing here.

For one, I would LOVE to see Leicester win the FA cup. Its the realistic pinnacle we can achieve as a club and it would get a huge monkey off our backs with those 4 losing finals. It would put a trophy in the cabinet, live in the history of the club forever, and get us into Europe. And CJ.........yes I would very much be up for a game with Genk trust me!

Its also true that we could definitely do with the long term stability of the club. I dont want to see the beginnings of this side, with the likes of Kramaric, Ulloa, Mahrez, Cambiasso dismantled by relegation. If you look at Wigan, there is a chance of going down to league 1 with a squad that is being ripped apart after relegation, and Portsmouth who are down at league 2 and may never come back. Im not elitist, but Leicester City do not belong down in the realms of the Accrington Stanley's and Morecambe's.

Its not to say that winning the FA Cup in some way caused relegation, or the catalyst of their implosion as i see it, but the fact that they didnt stay up meant they couldnt sustain the club as it was at the highest level. Its true to say the FA Cup and the relegation werent linked together, but it must also be true to say WE DONT KNOW whether these two clubs would have had a legitimate chance of winning the FA Cup again had they had more seasons in the Premiership and improved their squads further.

Its also true to say that the money from the Premiership doesnt go into my pocket. But it does go into producing a better football team, and one that has genuine interest behind it, and talented players representing it. Im not sure i could handle the "novelty" of knowing the club HAD to be relegated for an FA cup win if its one or the other.

I think it boils down to the objectives the club has at that time. If we went out in the 3rd round, but stayed up comfortably, I think the majority of people would have been happy with that as at the start of the season, the FA cup would have been a low to non existent priority. So for me, the priority is still very much in staying up. However, i do tend to subscribe to the opinion the FA Cup should mean more to us the more we become established as a Premiership team.

So in a nutshell, FOR NOW staying in the Premier League is more important to me than winning the FA Cup, but the preference to what the club achieves season to season will evolve too and at some point, the FA Cup will be a huge priority.

I dont want to see the beginnings of this side, with the likes of Kramaric, Ulloa, Mahrez, Cambiasso dismantled by relegation

That, for me anyway, is the most compelling reason for staying up over winning the FA Cup.

The FA cup used to hold a lot more importance because in the old days, this was literally the only football that would be televised and hence it would become an almost family occasion where everybody saw it and talked about it. The re branding of the premier league has meant that you can literally watch football anywhere in any place in the world. This has unfortunately devalued the cup competition because to a lot of the younger people it is just seen as another game. It would still be special to win the cup, especially historically, but at the expense of experiencing and competing with the best of the best in the PL, it doesn't stand up for me. 

Think also no one actually thought about winning this competition until the weekend where we had an amazing win, and other big teams crashed out. I do not recall anyone talking about the Fa cup at the start of the season, because unfortunately it isn't a priority. 

The FA cup used to hold a lot more importance because in the old days, this was literally the only football that would be televised and hence it would become an almost family occasion where everybody saw it and talked about it. The re branding of the premier league has meant that you can literally watch football anywhere in any place in the world. This has unfortunately devalued the cup competition because to a lot of the younger people it is just seen as another game. It would still be special to win the cup, especially historically, but at the expense of experiencing and competing with the best of the best in the PL, it doesn't stand up for me.

Think also no one actually thought about winning this competition until the weekend where we had an amazing win, and other big teams crashed out. I do not recall anyone talking about the Fa cup at the start of the season, because unfortunately it isn't a priority.

maybe all the newbies didn't. I was ****ed off we didn't have a go at stoke last year. bur apparently it wasn't a priority.

if you could give me 10 years top flight football and within 5 we would be europa league then fine.

but we could go down next year anyway. so for me witnessing the engraving of Leicester City on that trophy is what dreams are made off. not 17th followed by relegation or 17th followed by 14th. **** that. winning matters.

maybe all the newbies didn't. I was ****ed off we didn't have a go at stoke last year. bur apparently it wasn't a priority.

if you could give me 10 years top flight football and within 5 we would be europa league then fine.

but we could go down next year anyway. so for me witnessing the engraving of Leicester City on that trophy is what dreams are made off. not 17th followed by relegation or 17th followed by 14th. **** that. winning matters.

Well finishing 17th four seasons in a row, is not progress. I'm talking about becoming an established PL team, finishing around 10th every season. Then we can really give focus to the cup competitions when there is not much threat to our survival chances. 

When I say priority, it doesn't mean I get pi**ed if we lose, I want us to win every game. But when it comes at the expense of the PL, I dont agree. Appreciate and understand your point totally.

Well finishing 17th four seasons in a row, is not progress. I'm talking about becoming an established PL team, finishing around 10th every season. Then we can really give focus to the cup competitions when there is not much threat to our survival chances.

When I say priority, it doesn't mean I get pi**ed if we lose, I want us to win every game. But when it comes at the expense of the PL, I dont agree. Appreciate and understand your point totally.

right I get this is an argument that could go round and round but mine is a matter of the heart and basically means winning another 4 games.

staying up for some reason seems to make you think we will progress. this may not happen. it may, but it may not I watched 8 years of struggle in the championship do I want another 10 in the premier league, maybe but I want and fa cup more. history may be meaningless to some.

but my god that day at wembley will be worth more than 10 trips to whl, the hawthorns, the stadium of light.

right I get this is an argument that could go round and round but mine is a matter of the heart and basically means winning another 4 games.

staying up for some reason seems to make you think we will progress. this may not happen. it may, but it may not I watched 8 years of struggle in the championship do I want another 10 in the premier league, maybe but I want and fa cup more. history may be meaningless to some.

but my god that day at wembley will be worth more than 10 trips to whl, the hawthorns, the stadium of light.

There is no guarantee of anything in football. If we stay up this year, we may go down in 12 months. If we go down this season, we may go down again. Who knows what's going to happen

My whole argument is based on the premise of trying to become an established PL club. Then we could go and challenge for cup titles when we as a club are in little danger of relegation. 

It seems strange to me that having gone so long without PL football, we are happy to see it go without any guarantee of coming back up. I know the FA cup is an easier competition this season, but we will be in it every year. As for the premier league, no one can say.

I've always been in the 'league is more important' camp but am being won around a little by the sniff of silverware.

Would be great to win the FA Cup and stay up.

Wouldn't be a total disaster if we won the FA Cup and went down.

Wouldn't be a total disaster if we stayed up and didn't win the FA Cup.

Chances are we'll go down and not win the FA Cup this season.

Let's just see how it all plays out anyway.

Archived