Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

FA Cup winners 2015 or...

The mind absolutely boggles. Birmingham & Wigan aren't stuck in the Championship because they won the cup. Such a tedious, and downright bizarre argument.

I never said that was the case. The OP asked whether you'd win the cup over survival. I used Birmingham as an example as to what could happen to us. From our own experiences we know how hard it is to get promoted into this league, so I'd rather we get ourselves established before making a serious challenge. People on here are simply saying we would get back into the PL straight. What good is a FA cup if we are floundering in league one. It's like an F grade student getting one A in one exam

I never said that was the case. The OP asked whether you'd win the cup over survival. I used Birmingham as an example as to what could happen to us. From our own experiences we know how hard it is to get promoted into this league, so I'd rather we get ourselves established before making a serious challenge. People on here are simply saying we would get back into the PL straight. What good is a FA cup if we are floundering in league one. It's like an F grade student getting one A in one exam

There is so much wrong with this sentence it hurts but I'm too hungover and tired to write out a coherent reply.

Birmingham is more likely to happen to us if we find out our owners are crooks.

I appreciate that it would make getting promoted a bit harder (that's if we are actually relegated, like Hull & Sunderland, cup finalists last season - weren't) but it's a sacrifice I as a fan am willing to take at the expense of winning a trophy AND getting in Europe.

Birmingham is more likely to happen to us if we find out our owners are crooks.

I appreciate that it would make getting promoted a bit harder (that's if we are actually relegated, like Hull & Sunderland, cup finalists last season - weren't) but it's a sacrifice I as a fan am willing to take at the expense of winning a trophy AND getting in Europe.

I understand your point and obviously I wanna see us win the cup but I personally wouldn't trade it for survival. I would rather see us become a solid premier league team finishing in the top half season after season. I think this is the best way for us to progress into Europe. The FA cup is a shortcut route and most likely if a team like ourselves were to win it, we wouldn't be able to sustain that form in Europe and the league whatever division we were in. The proper and only way to do it, imo, is to build a squad capable of finishing in the top half consistently like Everton have recently for example.

I'd have to go all three of those. Bloody hell.

No doubt we'd draw Krasnodar, Hapoel Tel-Aviv and Shakhter Karagandy.

Hapoel wouldn't be a disaster.

Cheap flights from Luton, Mediterranean climate, decent nightlife and a nice beach. 

Fans are pretty nuts too.

300px-Derbi2005-06.jpg

Remember Wigan won the cup 2 years back, now are in danger of playing in league 1 next season.

Portsmouth on the brink of non league football also won the cup.

Suppose you would have to ask their fans if that one magical day is worth it now. 

Well both of them rose out of obscurity to be in that position so it's probably better than being in those respective positions with no FA Cup.

Remember Wigan won the cup 2 years back, now are in danger of playing in league 1 next season.

Suppose you would have to ask their fans if that one magical day is worth it now. 

Might ask the same of Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea etc who have also won it in the last few years.

WAS IT WORTH IT EH LADS? WAS IT REALLY?

Joke of an argument.

There's no correlation between their current predicaments and having won the cup though is there?

But if you think there is please explain how it works. Wimbledon won the cup once, is that why they now play in Milton Keynes?

There's no correlation between their current predicaments and having won the cup though is there?

But if you think there is please explain how it works. Wimbledon won the cup once, is that why they now play in Milton Keynes?

But the OP asked whether you'd stay in the league or rather win the cup. One or the other, not both. What could happen is if we get relegated, we could struggle for years and years. Similarly, we could come straight back up. No one has said if we win the cup that our situation is the same as B'ham or Wigan. Imagine we won the FA cup in 2004, when we were last relegated from the PL. Would that have made up for the last 10 years? In my opinion, absolutely not.

Almost a point in that, Portsmouth damn near bankrupted themselves to win it, but there's an important difference - our manager and owners are sensible football men, while Gaydamark and Redknapp are crooks.

The OP asked for one of winning the cup or survival in the PL.

Clearly a lot of people are thinking about short term success. Win the cup this year and accept relegation. We may then go the next ten seasons without experiencing PL football again. Surely, the solution is to establish the team in the league, and then compete for trophies whilst being a well established force in the PL. It may take a few seasons,but this is the long term solution.

ALL of this is hypothetical. I would obviously want to see both of these feats achieved, but PL survival is my preferred option.

The OP asked for one of winning the cup or survival in the PL.

Clearly a lot of people are thinking about short term success. Win the cup this year and accept relegation. We may then go the next ten seasons without experiencing PL football again. Surely, the solution is to establish the team in the league, and then compete for trophies whilst being a well established force in the PL. It may take a few seasons,but this is the long term solution.

ALL of this is hypothetical. I would obviously want to see both of these feats achieved, but PL survival is my preferred option.

Newcastle have been here for 5 years now, they're yet to get beyond round 4. Being established doesn't mean you then go on to win cups.

I want to see us win a cup - being established doesn't stop you going down: Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Fulham, Charlton, Middlebrough can all tell you that, as can we when we went down in 2002. 

Archived