Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

It's such a no brainer that I can't believe some people just can't see it, it's not even debatable.

We are shutting people out every match. There are people who want to buy season tickets and the club won't sell them. People want to take their children and can't. It's a bad business model that can't accommodate their customers and has to turn them and their money away.

It's not just the money it's the status. A 40,000+ ground and a 40,000+ gate elevates the club from an average size club to a big club. 

Trophies do that. As Gary Neville said, big clubs talk about trophies, small clubs talk about attendances

One of the empty blocks posted was the cheapest seats available.

The argument constantly put forward is that we are locking out thousands of customers every week, we aren't, it simply isn't true. If we do increase capacity then any future expansion will be to ensure we have more, not less, corporate seating. It makes zero sense to build more affordable seating when it costs just as much as corporate.

There is alsp this weird myth that clubs are desperate to welcome in supporters who cannot currently afford to go, they have priced those very people out of the game for a reason, it isn't an accident that this has happened.

Out of interest which stands to people honestly think will be extended first? Those containing the more affordable seats (which currently have the lowest capacity), or those containing the most expensive seasts and larger potential capacity?

If the expansion of the ground made sound business sense then I'd be all for it, but it doesn't at the minute. When it eventually happens I fear those people who think that more people will be able to afford to attend will be sorely disapointed, after all if you can point to football clubs who have expanded and increased the amount of affordable seating I'd be more than willing to look. As it stands only West Ham have vowed to lower prices and that is because they've utterly cleaned up at tax payers expense with the Olympic stadium, bearing in mind just how much the new TV deal is worth next season you'd assume clubs would be falling over themselves to lower gate prices...

Hmmm, I must be imagining that they didn't put season tickets up for general sale last season as we're at capacity.  :D

Give it up mate, you're making a fool of yourself if your argument is we wouldn't get significantly bigger attendances if we built another 10,000 seats.

Trophies do that. As Gary Neville said, big clubs talk about trophies, small clubs talk about attendances

Quoting Gary Neville now for your words of wisdom.  lol

You'll find trophies and attendances do have a direct correlation. There's reason why the most successful clubs in Europe have the highest attendances too.

Also we're selling out every match, it's a complete no brainer to build as demand is outstripping supply. You wouldn't open a nightclub that fits 500 people and employ one bar staff.

Hmmm, I must be imagining that they didn't put season tickets up for general sale last season as we're at capacity.  :D

Give it up mate, you're making a fool of yourself if your argument is we wouldn't get significantly bigger attendances if we built another 10,000 seats.

The fact we didn't put season tickets up on general sale does not mean there are thousands (or by you calculations ten thousand) of poor sods who cannot get in. 3000 season ticket holders didn't renew and these were purchased by members prior to general sale being possible.

This is perfect for the club, people feel they need to become a member, fork over their money for a membership at up to £100 a pop and City give nothing tangible in return other than first dibs on seats. Nice money making scheme.

You'll find trophies and attendances do have a direct correlation. There's reason why the most successful clubs in Europe have the highest attendances too.

Also we're selling out every match, it's a complete no brainer to build as demand is outstripping supply. You wouldn't open a nightclub that fits 500 people and employ one bar staff.

It's true, even those not so great and fortunate teams today who have been successful and 'MASSIVE' in the past have big stadiums, Shef Wed and Leeds.

I'm not entirely sure that analogy actually works.

The fact we didn't put season tickets up on general sale does not mean there are thousands (or by you calculations ten thousand) of poor sods who cannot get in. 3000 season ticket holders didn't renew and these were purchased by members prior to general sale being possible.

This is perfect for the club, people feel they need to become a member, fork over their money for a membership at up to £100 a pop and City give nothing tangible in return other than first dibs on seats. Nice money making scheme.

Of those 3,000 that didn't renew for whatever reason another 3,000 members quickly snapped them up.

Those 3,000 who didn't renew won't all just stop coming altogether, they'll still want to come to selective matches.

The indisputable fact in all of this is that the stadium was over 98% of capacity on average all last season, demand is outstripping supply. 

Of those 3,000 that didn't renew for whatever reason another 3,000 members quickly snapped them up.

Those 3,000 who didn't renew won't all just stop coming altogether, they'll still want to come to selective matches.

The indisputable fact in all of this is that the stadium was over 98% of capacity on average all last season, demand is outstripping supply. 

It may well be but the more important factor is by how much? You would need a longer waiting list than the increased capacity to ensure it worked. As an example Spurs currently have a waiting list of some 40,000 for season tickts, their new ground however will accomodate 25,000 extra seats (a total of 61k), that will still leave 15k on the waiting list (assuming all new seats went to ST sales). They've opted for larger, posher seats rather than more seats. They've also secured 2 NFL games a year (minimum) for 10 years as well as building housing and conference facilities. We'd need a waiting list of some 15k to make a 10k expansion worthwile

You can read the press guff if you like and see if you can find references to cheaper seats (they do claim they could install safe standing)

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/stadium/#fan-experience

It's such a no brainer that I can't believe some people just can't see it, it's not even debatable.

We are shutting people out every match. There are people who want to buy season tickets and the club won't sell them. People want to take their children and can't. It's a bad business model that can't accommodate their customers and has to turn them and their money away.

It's not just the money it's the status. A 40,000+ ground and a 40,000+ gate elevates the club from an average size club to a big club.

But are those we are shutting out coming to see us or coming to watch premier league football.

I still hate the fact if shit hits fan. Half empty ground.

Guest CityFan 06

To be honest, if we were to expand the stadium, I'd head for 42,000 to start with to see how much we fill it every week. Obviously home games against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool we would probably fill 42,000 because of their attraction watching top players play against us. I like our ambition with the plans to increase the ground in the future though.

To be honest, if we were to expand the stadium, I'd head for 42,000 to start with to see how much we fill it every week. Obviously home games against Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool we would probably fill 42,000 because of their attraction watching top players play against us. I like our ambition with the plans to increase the ground in the future though.

I think 40-42000 would be sensible I agree

Archived