Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

No!

Man Utd - 75,731

Emirates - 60,432

Etihad - 55,000

St. James Park - 52,405

Stadium of Light - 49,000

Anfield - 45,522 currently being extended to accommodate 54,000

Villa - 42,682

Stamford Bridge - 41,798

Goodison - 40,221

White Hart Lane - 36,284

Upton Park - 35,016

St.Mary's - 32,689

It's gone to the day, to sell out the last 2 home games, (I don't think we even did at Sunderland) we would very rarely sell anywhere near 50000

In a few seasons time if, touch wood, we're still in the PL, then yeah it would be something to look into but at this moment in time it's not ideal. Let's establish ourselves in the PL before we start jumping the gun.

Also 50,000 is absurd. 40,000 would be more realistic.

You cannot use two games against Sunderland and West Ham to argue the point about "being around the top of the Premier League" in a serious manner.

No! but it's a nice feeling ain't it! Might be the last time this season so let's enjoy it while we can. Where I live, in Stockport, I'm surrounded by Man United, Man City plus a few Liverpool fans. They know I'm Leicester through and through but to their credit, they've all been impressed by our performances v Sunderland and West Ham. My next door neighbour is an out and out West Ham fan whereas his wife is a Burnley fan and they are not speaking to us anymore!

No! but it's a nice feeling ain't it! Might be the last time this season so let's enjoy it while we can. Where I live, in Stockport, I'm surrounded by Man United, Man City plus a few Liverpool fans. They know I'm Leicester through and through but to their credit, they've all been impressed by our performances v Sunderland and West Ham. My next door neighbour is an out and out West Ham fan whereas his wife is a Burnley fan and they are not speaking to us anymore!

It's a nice feeling, no doubt about it. I'm loving our start and I've seen a lot of encouraging, exciting football from us. You cannot however use two games against, in the greatest respect, an average side and a diabolical side, as a reason to expand the ground, especially when we're only just selling these games out.

I'm all for ambition but it needs to be measured, well thought out and not reactionary. Two defeats later (and that isn't impossible) and we're back in midtable.

It's a nice feeling, no doubt about it. I'm loving our start and I've seen a lot of encouraging, exciting football from us. You cannot however use two games against, in the greatest respect, an average side and a diabolical side, as a reason to expand the ground, especially when we're only just selling these games out.

I'm all for ambition but it needs to be measured, well thought out and not reactionary. Two defeats later (and that isn't impossible) and we're back in midtable.

Lose?

I don't expect this team to do anything of the sort.

Viva Les Thai Invincibles (that doesn't work at all does it.)

Expand, expand!

Although I don't think it's the best idea , I really don't see the harm in getting planning logged in. It's normally a 12 week period but I can see a good deal with consultation required in regards to traffic planning. Therefore not a straightforward proposal.

3 years then you have to begin construction. And the big hurdle is passed.

Plenty of Villa seats available

I despair at posts like these, the author just lacks vision.  :(

A lot of people don't come because they assume the place will be full, it's too much effort and people want to sit with their family and friends which they can't when there's a few tickets left dotted round the stadium.

This was a quote in today's Observer:

"As if fuelled by an elixir Leicester went for the kill, the King Power Stadium now heaving with now-familiar fanatical support". 

Build another 10,000 seats and people will turn up and get hooked. At the moment our club is a closed shop and there are a generation who can't go because of the capacity. We have the population within the county to be one of the better supported clubs in the country. There is no reason we shouldn't get similar support to clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland.

Build and they will come, I promise you.

I despair at posts like these, the author just lacks vision.  :(

A lot of people don't come because they assume the place will be full, it's too much effort and people want to sit with their family and friends which they can't when there's a few tickets left dotted round the stadium.

"As if fuelled by an elixir Leicester went for the kill, the King Power Stadium now heaving with now-familiar fanatical support". 

Build another 10,000 seats and people will turn up and get hooked. At the moment our club is a closed shop and there are a generation who can't go because of the capacity. We have the population within the county to be one of the better supported clubs in the country. There is no reason we shouldn't get similar support to clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland.

Except for when they can't be arsed.

There are lots of seats available for Villa. Whole rows of the ****ers, room for friends, family, acquaintances and even the family pet.

Support for Leicester City FC has, throughout the history of the Club, always been strong, loyal and vocal. In the Fifties and Sixties especially, it was not unusual to see attendances in excess of 40,000. Then in 1971, the maximum was lowered to 34,000 and when Filbert Street was demolished, the construction of the Walkers Stadium saw the overall seating capacity being further decreased to 32,312 and this has sufficed ……….till now!

Why? Because in a matter of a few months, the Club has gone from PL relegation certainties to joint leaders of the PL. They are the ‘form’ team – Eight wins out of ten games played is something even the top glamour Clubs struggle to achieve. Not only that, but as this whirlwind revolution is taking place, top class players have arrived at the KP stadium, thus strengthening the existing squad and which promises to transform the fortunes of the Club to a level fans have only dreamed about.

Tomorrow we take on Tottenham with an expected maximum attendance of 32,000. Sounds a lot but on February 18th 1928, versus Tottenham, this fixture – as a 5th round FA Cup tie saw the highest attendance ever recorded for a City home game, 47,298.

The capacity of the KP stadium ranks 13th of the current PL Clubs. If the Club really aspires to becoming a truly Elite club, then it is imperative that the future stadium capacity is addressed as a matter of urgency to accommodate at least 50,000.

As I’ve said in previous postings, ‘Owners, Directors, Managers, Players and General Staff come and go but Fans go on forever!’

A lot of people have laughed at this poster for suggesting 50,000+.

It's highly ambitious but not ludicrous by any means and I for applaud your ambition.

For all those mocking we do have the population and infrastructure as a city and county to support a club this size.

With the Union FS boys creating the current atmosphere in our ground it's becoming an event rather than just a football match. Keep building on it and expand the stadium and going to the footy can be part of our culture as a city and county.

There are lots of seats available for Villa. Whole rows of the ****ers, room for friends, family, acquaintances and even the family pet.

Shy bairns get nowt.

The Villa game is two weeks away and on TV, a lot of people who would go probably aren't even aware there are tickets available.

If we had a 42,000 stadium there would be about 38,000 there IMO.

At the moment our ground is a closed shop for the select few, season tickets didn't even go on general sale because we're full to the brim.

The only thing that has me against expanding the stadium would be the increase in season ticket holders, just hear me out with this one (and yes it is a little tongue in cheek)

At the moment we have, what?, approximately 22000 season ticket holders?? I can't get to away games, most of them anyway. Not like I used to in my earlier years. With work commitments and just life in general getting in the way. Sometimes I have to pull a few strings to make the games. I've had my season ticket for 21 years now, and I'm pretty adamant with the wife and pretty much the same at work that football, home games at least, come first!!

Now to my point! If, for example, we reach the fa cup final, each and every single season ticket holder is pretty much guaranteed a ticket. We, along with other fans, will never appreciate or understand the fact that you get so few tickets given to your team for this occasion. But I'd get one, along with everyone else.

If we expand the stadium and increase our season ticket sales there could come a situation where there are more season ticket holders than there are tickets to the cup final and therefore new priority systems would be put in place. Those more lucky than me to be able to travel to away games, cup fixtures etc would be ahead of me in the queue, regardless of my previous travels to Yeovil, Stockport, Walsall etc (all in league 1 obviously) but in years gone by I've travelled up and down the country and around the Midlands many many times.

Yes I want us to be a massive club, but I kinda like being a bit medium sized. I'm getting older, maybe I'm a bit more against change, but I don't want to feel like I've lost a connection with my club. If (big IF) we become MASSIVE at some point in the future imagine what it could be like if the was the start of it. We'd be fine, our spots would be secured for life. Imagine being a Real Madrid fan for example, where there's like a 12 year waiting list for season tickets! As soon as babies are born their fathers add then to the waiting list. Is this really what we want for our future generations?

Of course that's a dream that probably won't get realised, but what if??

No there are not. I can still only purchase one ticket. So I cannot bring a friend or family member. If i'm going to be travelling a 6 hour round trip, I dont want to doing it on my own. 

Ive been coming to watch Leicester for best part of 30 years. I always try to come up 3-4 time a season either with my dad or a friend (who may support the other team). Its only this season I'm finding I cannot get tickets for us.

I despair at posts like these, the author just lacks vision. :(

Good post Gerard

No there are not. I can still only purchase one ticket. So I cannot bring a friend or family member. If i'm going to be travelling a 6 hour round trip, I dont want to doing it on my own. 

Ive been coming to watch Leicester for best part of 30 years. I always try to come up 3-4 time a season either with my dad or a friend (who may support the other team). Its only this season I'm finding I cannot get tickets for us.

You can rent a minibus if you like, plenty of room and now on general sale

post-9348-0-71374600-1440425892_thumb.pn

post-9348-0-78801600-1440425987_thumb.pn

You can rent a minibus if you like, plenty of room and now on general sale

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-24 at 15.17.17.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-24 at 15.19.26.png

please do me a favour and promise you will re post this exact image 2 days before the game and make the same argument that there are loads of seats free

you know (not me) but lots of people I know have to wait and see what their shifts at work are on the week of a game, then try to swap if necessary. many people I know want to sit in a family area or cannot afford west stand pricing or don't want their kids in the KOP

A stadium expansion if done properly allows the club to generate additional seating to meet demand. ie more family seats or budget pricing if that is the demand as an example. the family stand is always sold out and I know a lot of people who have been near ever present for years who cannot now go as they can only afford the family stand. 

you really are blinkered

It's such a no brainer that I can't believe some people just can't see it, it's not even debatable.

We are shutting people out every match. There are people who want to buy season tickets and the club won't sell them. People want to take their children and can't. It's a bad business model that can't accommodate their customers and has to turn them and their money away.

It's not just the money it's the status. A 40,000+ ground and a 40,000+ gate elevates the club from an average size club to a big club. 

please do me a favour and promise you will re post this exact image 2 days before the game and make the same argument that there are loads of seats free

you know (not me) but lots of people I know have to wait and see what their shifts at work are on the week of a game, then try to swap if necessary. many people I know want to sit in a family area or cannot afford west stand pricing or don't want their kids in the KOP

A stadium expansion if done properly allows the club to generate additional seating to meet demand. ie more family seats or budget pricing if that is the demand as an example. the family stand is always sold out and I know a lot of people who have been near ever present for years who cannot now go as they can only afford the family stand. 

you really are blinkered

One of the empty blocks posted was the cheapest seats available.

The argument constantly put forward is that we are locking out thousands of customers every week, we aren't, it simply isn't true. If we do increase capacity then any future expansion will be to ensure we have more, not less, corporate seating. It makes zero sense to build more affordable seating when it costs just as much as corporate.

There is alsp this weird myth that clubs are desperate to welcome in supporters who cannot currently afford to go, they have priced those very people out of the game for a reason, it isn't an accident that this has happened.

Out of interest which stands to people honestly think will be extended first? Those containing the more affordable seats (which currently have the lowest capacity), or those containing the most expensive seasts and larger potential capacity?

If the expansion of the ground made sound business sense then I'd be all for it, but it doesn't at the minute. When it eventually happens I fear those people who think that more people will be able to afford to attend will be sorely disapointed, after all if you can point to football clubs who have expanded and increased the amount of affordable seating I'd be more than willing to look. As it stands only West Ham have vowed to lower prices and that is because they've utterly cleaned up at tax payers expense with the Olympic stadium, bearing in mind just how much the new TV deal is worth next season you'd assume clubs would be falling over themselves to lower gate prices...

Archived