Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

If there were only x amount of money though, what would you prefer - team strengthening or more seats?

Yes, we're in a rich vein of form at the moment which shows no signs of stopping but by spending valuable funds on the stadium rather than the squad could mean that there's more empty seats if our fortunes change.

I'd rather get established in the PL first before thinking of investing in the stadium.

If there were only x amount of money though, what would you prefer - team strengthening or more seats?

Yes, we're in a rich vein of form at the moment which shows no signs of stopping but by spending valuable funds on the stadium rather than the squad could mean that there's more empty seats if our fortunes change.

I'd rather get established in the PL first before thinking of investing in the stadium.

We're second in the league by no fluke, if that's not established what is?

We're second in the league by no fluke, if that's not established what is?

Plenty of teams have held this position before and faded away - Ipswich and Norwich spring to mind. I wouldn't call them established. I'd give it a couple more seasons before committing so much money. 

I know it's difficult to believe but we were 'established' under MON, built a new stadium on the back of it, and the arse fell out of the club. Let's not be too hasty on the back of this season's form, is all I'm saying.

Plenty of teams have held this position before and faded away - Ipswich and Norwich spring to mind. I wouldn't call them established. I'd give it a couple more seasons before committing so much money. 

I know it's difficult to believe but we were 'established' under MON, built a new stadium on the back of it, and the arse fell out of the club. Let's not be too hasty on the back of this season's form, is all I'm saying.

...and there's been plenty of teams that considered themselves established but like most teams eventually ended up being relegated.

Unless you're one of the big teams you can never really be confidently established. We could survive for the next 5 plus years expand the stadium and still get relegated like we did after MON.

Either the club will think it's worthwhile and worth the risk or they won't if they do the sooner you build it the cheaper it will be in the long run and the sooner you'll be getting some return on the investment.

...and there's been plenty of teams that considered themselves established but like most teams eventually ended up being relegated.

Unless you're one of the big teams you can never really be confidently established. We could survive for the next 5 plus years expand the stadium and still get relegated like we did after MON.

Either the club will think it's worthwhile and worth the risk or they won't if they do the sooner you build it the cheaper it will be in the long run and the sooner you'll be getting some return on the investment.

I agree with what you say about nothing being definite, I just think that if was between one or the other, I'd rather invest in players than what I consider to be a premature stadium expansion.

If the expansion will have no effect on transfer funds, then go for it. The more people in the stadium creates a better atmosphere.

I agree with what you say about nothing being definite, I just think that if was between one or the other, I'd rather invest in players than what I consider to be a premature stadium expansion.

If the expansion will have no effect on transfer funds, then go for it. The more people in the stadium creates a better atmosphere.

I'm no football accountant but I'd say they were completely different budgets with the cost of any build having no impact on ffp in fact any additional matchday revenues increases the size of the player/ffp pot.

Aston Villa have been established top flight for nearly 30 years, they looked doomed now.

So I would increase now whilst the iron is hot.

And if we go down, just close the new Stand... no big deal.

I see it like this, increase the capacity to 42,000 and we get that smaller club tag ripped of our shoulders.

And only then will clubs take us seriously.

I keep hearing about stadium expansions ever since the Thais took charge

How much would you guys want

I'm torn between wanting to play it safe and add another 7-10 k or to go bloody nuts and making the kp a 45,000 plus world class stadium

My only worry with a huge capacity is after Friday training Claudio and walshy might have to pop into town and start handing out tickets like smarties at the clock tower ( with the rest of the bloody leaflet handing out brigade that gather there ) just to fill it on a Saturday afternoon

Personally I think we COULD fill 50,000.

Hear me out on this one.

How big is the Midlands roughly? Northampton to say Stoke?

Otherside of Birmingham to Peterborough

Catchment area huge, if we do well in the Premier League the next generations will grow up wanting(possibly) to go to watch the best side in amd around that area(could be us). Don't see why not.

Dan LCFC would have seen my argument better on the banter page we are both on.

Guest CityFan 06

For all the games against sides such as Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal I think we could reach 45k. I reckon if the ground was expanded to 42k we could average at least 38k if not more. To a degree it depends on how well we are doing in the league.

Here me out on this one.

Catchment area huge, if we do well in the Premier League the next generations will grow up wanting(possibly) to go to watch the best side in amd around that area(could be us). Don't see why not

That's all very well while we're flying high, but what things go awry?

Historically, we've been a yo-yo club. I'm sure some statistician can verify this but I'm sure we've spent more time in the second tier of English football than the first, especially post-war. 

When we've been having a rough time of it before (pre-Pearson), crowds weren't that impressive, certainly not enough to fill a 50K stadium.

If we look at the last ten years, including this year to date, our average attendance is just under 25k over a ten year period! Half of what you propose.

Don't get me wrong, a huge stadium would be fantastic but only as long as it's full. We don't want to do a Middlesborough and have more of the seats empty that occupied. We definitely need an expansion, but we need to be realistic.

I'm confident we could sell 30 k season tickets

Growing through the league 1 days and knowing friends who take their kids the value of a season ticket was amazing obviously prices have increased through the league but we should always make going to city affordable especially for the kids so providing we go with the Bayern Munich approach of not using the stadium to make money and therefore rip off the fans and increased capacity could be a winner

Hear me out on this one.

Catchment area huge, if we do well in the Premier League the next generations will grow up wanting(possibly) to go to watch the best side in amd around that area(could be us). Don't see why not.

Dan LCFC would have seen my argument better on the banter page we are both on.

Geograpically, you are right. However, east of Peterborough and south of Northampton

,in football terms, is a desert, so the catchment area is bigger potentially.

That's all very well while we're flying high, but what things go awry?

Historically, we've been a yo-yo club. I'm sure some statistician can verify this but I'm sure we've spent more time in the second tier of English football than the first, especially post-war.

I get what you're saying and I've seen this argument put forward a few times but I really think the owners plan to make us a top club and in that plan as far as they are concerned the yo-yoing has finished, they want to change the history of the club away from yo-yoing. Imagine if we had waited a few more years to move from filbert street, got relegated and didn't develop the kp, we'd never be where we are now.

It's about looking forwards, not back.

Archived