Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

Why does it matter what CR has won? We aren't going to be challenging for Europe this season. He has won a domestic cup competition and that is our only hope of silverware.

as for NP having a 'real good go'? That only happened once we were so deep in the dodo that there really were no options. The run in and amazing escape has indeed skewed memories. tbh, it was so incredible that there's no problem that you remember the season for that - you should. We were privileged to have witnessed it. but analysis of the campaign on the basis of the last 9 games isn't going to yield a balanced view.

This!

I don't agree. This appointment just throws up lots of unanswered questions.

For one thing, why have we given a 3 year contract to a man who hasn't worked at a single club for more than 2 consequtive years since 2004?

Apart from saying that he wanted the job, and that he's a big name, what exactly recommends Ranieri to the City job?

His reputation is as a 'tinker man'. Surely we just needed someone who would just continue Pearson's style of management? Ranieri seems to be diametrically opposite to Pearson's approach. Will the players adjust quickly enough?

In his last job (Greece) he signed a 2 year deal but lasted 6 months, losing four of the five matches he took charge of, one to the Faroe Islands. Does this not worry anyone?

Is this really the man to take us forward?

Wasn't it clear, in some ways, that we DIDN'T need someone with Pearson's style of management?

Falling out with the media, especially the local radio, public arguments with fans and City legends alike. And a son who was at the club and who let himself, his dad and the club down big time.

Finally.... we weren't very good last season you know. Before the signing of Huth (and getting him fit), together with that essential formation change, we were poor generally. We couldn't score goals, we leaked them the other end. We did nothing from set pieces, we defended them appallingly.

Yes...It finally came good but Christ, we had to suffer some rubbish getting there. And it was rubbish at times. Remember Villa in the cup, Swansea away, numerous games at home?

People are making out that Pearson was unmatchable. The best City could hope to have. This is balls. Both off the pitch (bizarre, angry incidents) and on the pitch (some dire performances), last season was a very strange one.

Could it gave gotten better this season? Well maybe. Now we'll never know. But please don't make out last season was a corker in any way, shape or form. It absolutely wasn't.

Some liken Pearson to O'Neil. Well I can completely say that MON hit the Premier league running. Won cups into the bargain, and had us pretty quickly matching most sides in the division.

When the great man left for Celtic, I was gutted as were most I suspect.

Now? Well it's a shame that Nigel has gone. But in sone ways I think he's brought it on himself. Something that O'Neil never did with us.

Wasn't it clear, in some ways, that we DIDN'T need someone with Pearson's style of management?

Falling out with the media, especially the local radio, public arguments with fans and City legends alike. And a son who was at the club and who let himself, his dad and the club down big time.

Finally.... we weren't very good last season you know. Before the signing of Huth (and getting him fit), together with that essential formation change, we were poor generally. We couldn't score goals, we leaked them the other end. We did nothing from set pieces, we defended them appallingly.

Yes...It finally came good but Christ, we had to suffer some rubbish getting there. And it was rubbish at times. Remember Villa in the cup, Swansea away, numerous games at home?

People are making out that Pearson was unmatchable. The best City could hope to have. This is balls. Both off the pitch (bizarre, angry incidents) and on the pitch (some dire performances), last season was a very strange one.

Could it gave gotten better this season? Well maybe. Now we'll never know. But please don't make out last season was a corker in any way, shape or form. It absolutely wasn't.

Some liken Pearson to O'Neil. Well I can completely say that MON hit the Premier league running. Won cups into the bargain, and had us pretty quickly matching most sides in the division.

Now? Well it's a shame that Nigel has gone. But in sone ways I think he's brought it on himself. Something that O'Neil never did with us.

Well said ...Pearson will never manage in the PL again.. He wasn't good enough!.. Glad the arrogant twat has gone and taken his halfwit son with him!

I'm sort of hoping that Claudio is with us because he feels he has something to prove in the Premier League. He did a good job at Chesea and was chucked out by Abramovitch. The best motivation for anyone in anything is to have something to prove. O'Neil bought players on that basis, and it worked. I think Ranieri is 'hungry' to prove he is good and that cannot be a bad thing for us. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong and really takes us forward. Welcome Claudio.

Well said ...Pearson will never manage in the PL again.. He wasn't good enough!.. Glad the arrogant twat has gone and taken his halfwit son with him!

If you don't like the bloke, fair enough, but don't talk such absolute shit.

I'm sort of hoping that Claudio is with us because he feels he has something to prove in the Premier League. He did a good job at Chesea and was chucked out by Abramovitch. The best motivation for anyone in anything is to have something to prove. O'Neil bought players on that basis, and it worked. I think Ranieri is 'hungry' to prove he is good and that cannot be a bad thing for us. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong and really takes us forward. Welcome Claudio.

Shame you never, ever extended the same support to our previous manager. Claudioite.

Top top post Col

Bang on the money

Just thinking along those lines prior to reading.. Obviously the Man U game was a high but caught them at a good time. Final run in I still believe wasn't down to his judgement if it was why didn't he run with that formation with the players who were screaming to play in those positions earlier.

Great deal of luck and being influenced imo

I think the biggest laugh ever is that Pearsonites actually think he was anywhere near Martin Oneills level lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

I absolutely admire(d) Nigel Pearson for what he achieved here, I wouldn't say he was near O'Neill's level though. Just like you could argue O'Neill didn't achieve what Gillies achieved, it's all relative. O'Neill won domestic trophies and until another managers does that he won't be considered alongside O'Neill.

I'm only early 20's and in the time of how many managers (15?), I've only seen three that actually achieved - O'Neill, Adams, Pearson - so when Pearson did what he did with us of course I'm going to take to him. Plenty of others feel the same way. If you still don't appreciate what he did for the club, then you've got to have something personal against him. I don't need to compare him to previous managers, his achievements here - on and off the field - were tremendous. He walked into a mess at this football club, twice, and turned us around both times. 

I stand by my comment . Pearson WASN'T good enough to Manage in the PL.. The first 29 games proved that!.. He got lucky in the last 9 and we somehow escaped relegation... Time will prove me right as he won't be a PL manager again!.. IMHO.

I stand by my comment . Pearson WASN'T good enough to Manage in the PL.. The first 29 games proved that!.. He got lucky in the last 9 and we somehow escaped relegation... Time will prove me right as he won't be a PL manager again!.. IMHO.

If he wasn't good enough we'd have been relegated, simple as that. You need to look at the season as whole, where we finished 14th, rather than just cherry picking the bits that support your bullshit argument.

He finished 14th, above 6 other teams - 3 of which are still PL teams.  How exactly did the last 38 games prove he's not good enough in the PL?

He finished 14th, above 6 other teams - 3 of which are still PL teams. How exactly did the last 38 games prove he's not good enough in the PL?

I think some of this is down to the way the club stayed up (i.e. the great escape). If the wins over the last couple of months had been spread out throughout the season, and the club had been above the relegation zone, then I think NP would be seen in a much better light by some people.

Maybe the owners weren't comfortable with having to rely on a great escape, because that exceptional run of form may not happen next time.

I think the biggest laugh ever is that Pearsonites actually think he was anywhere near Martin Oneills level lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

Except that he was. MON got us two League Cups, Pearson pissed League One and the Championship. MON finished top half of the Premier League, Pearson had the highest win ratio of any Leicester manager ever.

I agree and I certainly think he may have something to prove since being cast away by Chelsea. Although I don't think there necessarily needs to be a motivation there - not in the completely objective sense. Perhaps his motivation is doing something he loves everyday and doing to the best he can. He comes across as very heartfelt, open and honest. The more I listen to what he has to say the more I like the guy. Excellent appointment.

Except that he was. MON got us two League Cups, Pearson pissed League One and the Championship. MON finished top half of the Premier League, Pearson had the highest win ratio of any Leicester manager ever.

Includes the third division though, remove that and where does he stand?

How does he compare to Peter Taylor for premier wins?

No judgement from me on Pearson in this post, but.........................................

Our playing staff was so much better than at least six other teams last season. We were rooted to the bottom after 29 matches. We escaped relegation through the last nine matches.

These are clearly the facts.The players we had on our playing staff were at least in part down to Pearson ( and Steve Walsh of course). Sunderland, Burnley, Hull, QPR, WBA and Villa at least had inferior squads to us. Base your judgements on Pearson's capabilities on these irrefutable facts!

Of course some will say ah yes but no but it was Pearson in charge for the last nine games, therefore it proves he is a brilliant manager.

Others will say that with our squad we should never have even been in the bottom three teams at any time during the season, which proves Pearson was crap!

I absolutely admire(d) Nigel Pearson for what he achieved here, I wouldn't say he was near O'Neill's level though. Just like you could argue O'Neill didn't achieve what Gillies achieved, it's all relative. O'Neill won domestic trophies and until another managers does that he won't be considered alongside O'Neill.

I'm only early 20's and in the time of how many managers (15?), I've only seen three that actually achieved - O'Neill, Adams, Pearson - so when Pearson did what he did with us of course I'm going to take to him. Plenty of others feel the same way. If you still don't appreciate what he did for the club, then you've got to have something personal against him. I don't need to compare him to previous managers, his achievements here - on and off the field - were tremendous. He walked into a mess at this football club, twice, and turned us around both times. 

Pearson's achievement was different to O'Neill's - basically bringing us up two divisions to the top flight and keeping us there over a 5-and-a-half-year on-off reign. O'Neill took us up, won four top half finishes and two cups over four-and-a-half, and with a lot less cash to his name. Clearly O'Neill achieved a lot more at the highest level, but Pearson did more in terms of getting there.

You say there's an argument that Gillies achieved more than O'Neill, but then you point out that nobody will compete with O'Neill until they win trophies. It's worth pointing out, then, that our average finish under O'Neill in the top flight was higher under O'Neill than Gillies, and he won more trophies!

Anyway, Ranieri's challenge is closer to that of Gillies, in that he has to cement top half status. Some of our managers have done a good job of that, looking at the history books - Orr and Bloomfield being the names that, along with Gillies, leap out (without having been there to see any of them), though we were relegated very soon after all three reigns ended. Others - Taylor, Bassett, Hamilton, McLintock, Lochhead - didn't do so well.

We just have to cross fingers on this one. If he stops us from collecting too many more strikers, bolsters the midfield, settles the squad and looks at what worked last season (3-5-2 and a settled side... not things you usually associate with Ranieri but if he's any good he'll either come to adapt or communicate to his players how they need to adapt) then he'll be okay.

No judgement from me on Pearson in this post, but.........................................

Our playing staff was so much better than at least six other teams last season. We were rooted to the bottom after 29 matches. We escaped relegation through the last nine matches.

These are clearly the facts.The players we had on our playing staff were at least in part down to Pearson ( and Steve Walsh of course). Sunderland, Burnley, Hull, QPR, WBA and Villa at least had inferior squads to us. Base your judgements on Pearson's capabilities on these irrefutable facts!

Of course some will say ah yes but no but it was Pearson in charge for the last nine games, therefore it proves he is a brilliant manager.

Others will say that with our squad we should never have even been in the bottom three teams at any time during the season, which proves Pearson was crap!

"Which proves Pearson was crap"

Piss off you twat

I'm glad you stand by your conviction of being a fool and continuing to prove it. He stayed up, end of story. You wouldn't stand for someone saying we were "unlucky" quite a lot during many games, so I don't see why you get to drag out that pathetic little card on the flip side.

What an absolute prat. Laughable.

Archived