Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

It's strange because older football managers who have managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe don't usually want to end their careers in charge of a parochial club in the bottom half of the Premiership.

Ranieri going to Greece was like a semi-retirement. He didn't even live in the country. His results there suggest that he probably wasn't that committed to the job.

So it's strange that he's now chosen to go back into club management, and even stranger that he's chosen to do it at a small East Midlands club in a League that he hasn't worked in for 11 years.

What do you think his motivation is?

Our aim next season should be to finish 10th in the League. Why would a Manager with Ranieri's history be interested in achieving that?

If he couldn't motivate Greece to beat the Faroe Islands, how is he going to motivate Leicester City?

We might be a small club in terms of reputation, but players and staff had said for years its a prem club with top facilities, I would hope his motivation is the chance to end his career on a high by making this club more successful. If he had been appointed to any other bottom half prem club the press would love it and be praising the ones responsible for pulling it off. There is plenty to be optimistic about from this point forward.

Aren't the Thais/the club doing just about everything correctly and by the book?

Keeping hush hush about the reasons for Pearson's sacking, not letting much out about Ranieri until it was a 'done deal' (even the bookies didn't really know) and staying out of the media, smacks of professionalism doesn't it? Regardless of whether it's the 'right decision', they've played their cards very close to their chests I think?

The whole thing could have been a complete circus and actually, it's not been at all.

Spot on. The whole scenario, from the racist three through to appointing Ranieri appears to have dealt with expertly by the club.

So you didn't want a manager with a successful previous career, is that right?  So what was your criteria for hiring our next manager and specifically who did you want?  

I don't want a manager that has managed bigger teams in the past, but hasn't won anything. Managing Leicester City right now is a totally different type of job to managing a top European team. He wont be able to go out and sign players like FaIcao here. It takes real skill to see a young player and know he will fit into a system you want to play. I wanted a team building type of manager, specifically I wanted Eddie Howe who has done an incredible job at Bournemouth. He signed Inges and Austin when he was at Burnley. Douche took most of the credit for what Burnley achieved recently, but they wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of the championship never mind the PL if Howe was never there. 

Why does it matter what CR has won? We aren't going to be challenging for Europe this season. He has won a domestic cup competition and that is our only hope of silverware.

as for NP having a 'real good go'? That only happened once we were so deep in the dodo that there really were no options. The run in and amazing escape has indeed skewed memories. tbh, it was so incredible that there's no problem that you remember the season for that - you should. We were privileged to have witnessed it. but analysis of the campaign on the basis of the last 9 games isn't going to yield a balanced view.

lol lol at the people still using the word "Pearsonites"

If you support and back Ranieri will you be known as the Ranierites?

I think the term Pearsonites is being deliberately used to piss off those most sensitive about it (slightly tongue in cheek lol)

Ranieros ?

Ranierites?

Claudioites?

lol

lol... This logic would say you prefer NP to Jose... Haha be serious

Well it doesn't since Jose has never managed us, but don't let facts get in the way of being a complete tool.

Tbh I probably would - Jose is obviously the better manager but he's only ever worked at the top ends of divisions, we are a completely different kettle of fish.

I don't want a manager that has managed bigger teams in the past, but hasn't won anything. Managing Leicester City right now is a totally different type of job to managing a top European team. He wont be able to go out and sign players like FaIcao here. It takes real skill to see a young player and know he will fit into a system you want to play. I wanted a team building type of manager, specifically I wanted Eddie Howe who has done an incredible job at Bournemouth. He signed Inges and Austin when he was at Burnley. Douche took most of the credit for what Burnley achieved recently, but they wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of the championship never mind the PL if Howe was never there.

Howe is happy at Bournemouth though, why would he have come? Besides, you could describe ranieri as a team builder given he laid the groundwork for Joses first spell with chelsea.

I think the biggest laugh ever is that Pearsonites actually think he was anywhere near Martin Oneills level lol

lol

lol

lol

lol

Who's to say he wouldn't have gone on to achieve what MON did?

Also why do people feel the need to judge them both against each other? Why not just appreciate that we had 2 fantastic managers.

Since supporting Leicester City I've only saw 2 successful managers in my time here MON & NP. O'neil had us overachieving in the premiership coupled with a couple of cup wins. NP took us from our lowest ever point to premiership survival in 5 seasons. I appreciate them both of what they & how proud they made me to support Leicester City.

Who's to say he wouldn't have gone on to achieve what MON did?

Also why do people feel the need to judge them both against each other? Why not just appreciate that we had 2 fantastic managers.

Since supporting Leicester City I've only saw 2 successful managers in my time here MON & NP. O'neil had us overachieving in the premiership coupled with a couple of cup wins. NP took us from our lowest ever point to premiership survival in 5 seasons. I appreciate them both of what they & how proud they made me to support Leicester City.

Absolutely agree, both terrific in their own way

And who knows in time, again that's plausible

We might be a small club in terms of reputation, but players and staff had said for years its a prem club with top facilities, I would hope his motivation is the chance to end his career on a high by making this club more successful. If he had been appointed to any other bottom half prem club the press would love it and be praising the ones responsible for pulling it off. There is plenty to be optimistic about from this point forward.

I don't agree. This appointment just throws up lots of unanswered questions.

For one thing, why have we given a 3 year contract to a man who hasn't worked at a single club for more than 2 consequtive years since 2004?

Apart from saying that he wanted the job, and that he's a big name, what exactly recommends Ranieri to the City job?

His reputation is as a 'tinker man'. Surely we just needed someone who would just continue Pearson's style of management? Ranieri seems to be diametrically opposite to Pearson's approach. Will the players adjust quickly enough?

In his last job (Greece) he signed a 2 year deal but lasted 6 months, losing four of the five matches he took charge of, one to the Faroe Islands. Does this not worry anyone?

Is this really the man to take us forward?

Archived