Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Confirmed: Ranieri new manager

Winning league one was decent, but that was a squad that should never have been relegated.

Here we go again, firstly it was relegated. You can shudda wudda it all you want, it was.

Secondly, the team Pearson had was not the same team that got relegated. I've been through this before, out of the 16 players with the most appearances that season. 10 were signed by him, 3 were youth team (two of which were nowhere near regulars previously) and 3 were signed by someone else.

Pearson does get some undue criticism. His achievements should not be dismissed so flippantly. He brought with him not just a vision for the team but for the entire first team set up, when he left we employed two managers who were not capable of building their own support network to secure our goals. His initially legacy was destroyed by a penny pinching chairman who wanted a quick sale, that set us back a couple of years, this time his infrastructure looks as though it will be left in place which should minimise the risk to the long term stability of the club.

If Ranieri succeeds then he will have been helped by the foundations Pearson, the owners and the support staff have put in place, however he will ultimately succeed because he has a long career of performing at the top level across a range of countries and scenarios.

Here we go again, firstly it was relegated. You can shudda wudda it all you want, it was.

Secondly, the team Pearson had was not the same team that got relegated. I've been through this before, out of the 16 players with the most appearances that season. 10 were signed by him, 3 were youth team (two of which were nowhere near regulars previously) and 3 were signed by someone else.

Always glad of your use of facts to enlighten the ill-informed, Babs!  :thumbup:

Here's the wiki page for our 08-09 season, for anyone interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Leicester_City_F.C._season

(I'm assuming the 3 regulars NOT signed by NP were Oakley, Howard & Fryatt, 2 new/newish youth teamers Gradel & King (handful of appearance under Holloway), established ex-youth teamer Mattock?)

NP's 08-09 achievements of note:

- Winning the L1 championship with 96 points - with a largely new squad (Wolves, Forest & Leeds spent multiple years down there; Cov & Pompey still are down there)

- Doing so while the club made a profit in the transfer market (sold Hume, Stearman & McAuley for decent money)

- Only spending more than £100k on 1 player (Tunchev)

- Getting Dyer, Berner, Dickov & Chris Powell on free transfers

- Getting Bulgarian international / CSKA captain Tunchev to play in L1

- Turning King into a regular

- Starting Gradel's 1st team career

- Getting Cleverley, Mark Davies, Hobbs, Stockdale & Bunn in on loan (all have gone on to play at a higher level)

- Getting Morrison from non-league and turning him into a Championship player

- Getting rid of about 15 players who'd got us relegated

If Ranieri achieves the equivalent at Premier League level - as I hope he does - we'll be playing in the Champions League next season.  lol

Wasn't it clear, in some ways, that we DIDN'T need someone with Pearson's style of management?

Falling out with the media, especially the local radio, public arguments with fans and City legends alike. And a son who was at the club and who let himself, his dad and the club down big time.

Finally.... we weren't very good last season you know. Before the signing of Huth (and getting him fit), together with that essential formation change, we were poor generally. We couldn't score goals, we leaked them the other end. We did nothing from set pieces, we defended them appallingly.

Yes...It finally came good but Christ, we had to suffer some rubbish getting there. And it was rubbish at times. Remember Villa in the cup, Swansea away, numerous games at home?

People are making out that Pearson was unmatchable. The best City could hope to have. This is balls. Both off the pitch (bizarre, angry incidents) and on the pitch (some dire performances), last season was a very strange one.

Could it gave gotten better this season? Well maybe. Now we'll never know. But please don't make out last season was a corker in any way, shape or form. It absolutely wasn't.

Some liken Pearson to O'Neil. Well I can completely say that MON hit the Premier league running. Won cups into the bargain, and had us pretty quickly matching most sides in the division.

When the great man left for Celtic, I was gutted as were most I suspect.

Now? Well it's a shame that Nigel has gone. But in sone ways I think he's brought it on himself. Something that O'Neil never did with us.

You're answering a completely different question. It really doesn't matter whether Pearson deserved the sack or not any more. He's history.

My question was whether Ranieri is the best choice to take us forward. The fact that the only reasons you're able to give are negatives about Pearson, really suggests that there aren't many positives to say about this appointment... which really is my point.

2 comments about Ranieri & Pearson...

1) Ranieri - I welcome his appointment not only because it is the pragmatic thing to do but because I think he is a good manager who did well at most clubs. A far better bet than a championship or division 1 manager and as for getting a 'big name'... we can't expect to attract one until we are at least established as a top 10 premier league club, not that Ranieri isn't a pretty big name anyway. Ranieri is the best we could get, and a man with a more than decent CV at top level. I'm satisfied with the appointment for now and like everyone else will judge him by results.

2) Pearson -

i) I do think his attitude and truculent personality has been equally his undoing with the owners as much as the infamous 'Thaigate' incident. The latter was probably just the final straw. He seemed a man who too easily got into a strop was boorish, bullish and a bully. Witness his various outbursts & episodes that are all recent enough for us to remember & no need to list them. If he acted like this with the owners when he disagreed with them (very likely - seems deeply ingrained in his character) no wonder they felt it impossible and uncomfortable to keep him. They've spent a fortune on this club and they are unlikely to take such a big risk as getting rid of the manager unless he must have been hellish to work with.

ii) Pearson did well and we must put him down as one of our better managers without a doubt, BUT let's remember that the first half a dozen games in the premier league probably showed that the team were good enough to sit above the bottom four or five clubs (as did the final run-in of course) but I put a LOT of the blame for the 20+ run of bad games & results on his change in tactics and selecting the wrong players. His last throw of the dice in desperation in the last 9 or 10 games in bringing Albrighton in (at last), Andy King, & Waslowski into a 5 man system at the back, showed to me that he had got the previous 6 months completely wrong. A better manager when they saw it was going wrong from Oct/Nov would have brought some of these changes in much quicker than the 6 months it took Pearson. 

Yes, that maybe true.

However, those wins were in the Championship and League one.

Gillies and O'neals wins certainly the majority were in the top flight of English football yes the top flight at the time in the respective years.

Pearson as I have said was a good manager for our club in the fact he got us promoted from league one to the Championship and also into the premier league. He also had the most money available to him than any other manager and with our funding and backing to not get into the premier league would have been a failure.

Pearson was not a good premier league manager. We did get lucky with that end of season run and a lot of the teams we beat had nothing to play for. I did think it was great myself though. Many conveniently forget the awful league run we had where we couldn't buy a win from October to end of March. Burnley and Qpr for fooks sake were above us?

Judge the season as a whole, yes, but an incredible slice of good fortune playing teams who were long on the beach certainly helped our cause and that's what saved us. Not a manager who stuck stubbornly to strange tactics, team selections, baffling substitutions and formations.

I don't see how that's supposed to be valid argument as a case in point against Pearson - in absolute terms, just looking at the numbers, you may be right. Relatively speaking, the sheer amount of money at his disposal is a reflection of the times. Wages and fees have increased tenfold ever since.

So, why slate him for the way the economy has developed? It's not like he can control or influence that aspect.

Also, why moan about the period where we were behind Burnley or QPR, when in the end, we comfortably beat relegation and finished several points ahead of them two clubs? Is the way to the result more important to you than the result itself?

You're answering a completely different question. It really doesn't matter whether Pearson deserved the sack or not any more. He's history.

My question was whether Ranieri is the best choice to take us forward. The fact that the only reasons you're able to give are negatives about Pearson, really suggests that there aren't many positives to say about this appointment... which really is my point.

No it wasn't. You were suggesting we needed somebody like Pearson.

I've suggested maybe not. And given the reasons.

Regarding whether Claudio is the answer? Who knows? Genuinely who knows?

I'm giving him a chance and will wait and see with excitement at the prospect of the new season.

Why? Because I love football and follow Leicester City.

What a load of bollocks.

Nah he actually has a very valid point for once. I liked Pearson but the run-in proved just how much we'd underachieved for most of the season.

Anyway, it's finished now, let's all move on. This is the Ranieri thread.

In other news, is that Simpson at the back?!

11226051_10153430349207769_7911816101441

If you still don't appreciate what he did for the club, then you've got to have something personal against him. I don't need to compare him to previous managers, his achievements here - on and off the field - were tremendous. He walked into a mess at this football club, twice, and turned us around both times.

I'm not sure I've knocked NP at all? Show me where in that post I have done that?

NP has been a great manager for us, the best in 10-15 years for us? Where is my criticism ? :unsure:

I'm not sure I've knocked NP at all? Show me where in that post I have done that?

NP has been a great manager for us, the best in 10-15 years for us? Where is my criticism ? :unsure:

It wasn't aimed at you. I meant in general. People seem to still criticize whatever he did.

Nah he actually has a very valid point for once. I liked Pearson but the run-in proved just how much we'd underachieved for most of the season.

Every time I see a picture of Hamer he is taking a selfie

Pearson does get some undue criticism. His achievements should not be dismissed so flippantly. He brought with him not just a vision for the team but for the entire first team set up, when he left we employed two managers who were not capable of building their own support network to secure our goals. His initially legacy was destroyed by a penny pinching chairman who wanted a quick sale, that set us back a couple of years, this time his infrastructure looks as though it will be left in place which should minimise the risk to the long term stability of the club.

If Ranieri succeeds then he will have been helped by the foundations Pearson, the owners and the support staff have put in place, however he will ultimately succeed because he has a long career of performing at the top level across a range of countries and scenarios.

On this dear Mike, I fully agree !!

It might had if we had the same players, but we didn't, we were missing one key ingredient who signed in January.

hamer seems a laugh lol

It might had if we had the same players, but we didn't, we were missing one key ingredient who signed in January.

You don't double your points tally because of one centre back. Now THAT is bollocks.

No doubt Huth improved us significantly but more importantly we started to play football and attack teams.

That was the difference, it was consistently proved throughout the season.

The Sven spending policy was very QPR, spend enough, get promoted, get the PL cash. Except, we didn't. Sven was nowhere near what was expected of him.

We were expected to win league 1 and with pearson we did.

Pearson beats Sven everytime

You don't double your points tally because of one centre back. Now THAT is bollocks.

No doubt Huth improved us significantly but more importantly we started to play football and attack teams.

That was the difference, it was consistently proved throughout the season.

Point being you cannot 100% say we were under achieving when someone who "significantly improved us" wasn't there before.

Vassel, Danns and St Ledger at least weren't terrible championship players. We were just outside the play off, that's not being in a mess.

It is when he spent nigh on 20 million quid.

Archived