Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

Why Don't They Just Call Me 'Gary'??'

(Continuing the discussion above about how the Japanese call Leicester 'restaa', because they have no 'L' sound.)

You can imagine that the word 'Lineker' was also a bit tricky when Gary played here in the 90s.

He was called   ゲーリーリネカー (= geeri rinekaa)   (with the 'geeri' sounding like 'gairy') . 

The most famous 'Gary' in Japan before that was the golfer Gary Player, and because his name was pronounced 'geeri' (either because he is South African, or because it's a more American pronunciation), Lineker was stuck with the same moniker. Lineker, who studied a lot of Japanese before he came out here, must have been a bit miffed becuase he'd have been aware that his name could have easily been rendered as 'ガリ’ = gari.

This subject is touched on in the article below, discussing Lineker's time in Japan.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/07/12/gary-lineker-in-the-land-of-the-rising-sun/

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2

This is the song they sing for Shinji at Japan international matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN6IWSBEifI (This link might not be working, the one below is)

It sounds like they're singing 'Get a goal', It does have that meaning, but they're actually singing ゲットゴール (= getto goal).

The song was borrowed from his J-League club Shimizu S-Pulse. Here's their version at the start of this video  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdX83fn0nKo

Love to hear that from City fans.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 4

This is the song they sing for Shinji at Japan international matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN6IWSBEifI  (This link might not be working, the one below is)

It sounds like they're singing 'Get a goal', It does have that meaning, but they're actually singing ゲットゴール (= getto goal).

The song was borrowed from his J-League club Shimizu S-Pulse. Here's their version at the start of this video  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdX83fn0nKo

Love to hear that from City fans.

This is perfect! No foreign words to remember if "Okazaki, get a goal" is an acceptable interpretation of the original chant. Would love to hear this from our lot.

Verdy, strangely, was the name of the champions of the J-League back in its inaugural year, 1993.

Their fans were noted for thieir extraordinarily polite behaviour, such as chanting the name of the opposing team before kick off to show their good intentions.  (As outlined in Sebastian Moffett's wonderful introduction to Japanese football, 'Japanese Rules'.) 

Verdy Kawasaki, they were called (Verdy comes from the Portugese word for 'green').  Now they've changed their name to Tokyo Verdy.

• Like 1

Kushiro/Yuta, I'm going to Japan on Thursday for a fortnight. I'm not sure i'll have access to any subscription sports channels, but could you let me know which Channels (subscription or not) show premier league games live, or highlights? Hoping to catch the Bournemouth away game on tv there in some form if possible. I'd be ok in Tokyo because there's plenty of bars open late showing live football, but I'll be rural Yamagata ken, so my options will be limited.

Hoping to get across to Sendai to watch Sendai vs Niigata if possible. I've watched 2 J League games live before, Urawa vs Niigata and Yamagata vs Shimizu S-Pulse, both a few years ago, and both games involved players who later joined us, Abe and Okazaki!

Kushiro/Yuta, I'm going to Japan on Thursday for a fortnight. I'm not sure i'll have access to any subscription sports channels, but could you let me know which Channels (subscription or not) show premier league games live, or highlights? Hoping to catch the Bournemouth away game on tv there in some form if possible. I'd be ok in Tokyo because there's plenty of bars open late showing live football, but I'll be rural Yamagata ken, so my options will be limited.

Hoping to get across to Sendai to watch Sendai vs Niigata if possible. I've watched 2 J League games live before, Urawa vs Niigata and Yamagata vs Shimizu S-Pulse, both a few years ago, and both games involved players who later joined us, Abe and Okazaki!

It looks like SkyperfecTV will be showing most of City's games live. It's a subscription channel. NHK's BS channels, which a lot of regular TVs can pick up, will be showing some games in full but delayed. For example, the Spurs game will be shown Monday 1 am. They show a delayed European game from the w/e every day in that time slot.

You get an idea of the priorities here at the moment by looking at the order of this week's schedule:

Monday:         City v Spurs

Tuesday:        Dortmund v Inglostadt  (Kagawa's game)

Wednesday;   Borussia M v Mainz   (Muto, Japanese striker, may play)

Thursday:       Arsenal v Liverpool

Friday:            Fiorentina v Milan (Honda's game)

Here's the link:

http://www1.nhk.or.jp/sports2/wsoccer/

Wellcome back to Japan!!

TV...I don't know about to see the live game.

Highlights can see late time sports program.

Nice timely to see the game.

I saw Urawa's game 4or5 years ago.(vs Sapporo)

Shimizu game is always watch at the stadium when I lived in Shizuoka.(but always I supported away team.)

Both team's call and rhythm is peculiar and intimidation.