Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

On 02/05/2023 at 08:17, kushiro said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned but Shinji was there last night. 

Shinji-at-Everton-game.png

His team St Truiden finished 12th in the Belgian League - the season finished last week. 

Here he is in action in recent weeks:

shinji-st-t-2.png

shinji-st-t-3.png

That’s brilliant. Great to see him back 

On 18/07/2020 at 00:07, kushiro said:

Here's a better video of his goal last night. Looks better every time you see it - not just the finish but the way his movement destroys the defender.  (You might have to click the link to see the goal)

The movement is similar to this Shinji classic - his last goal for Leicester. The defender looks and thinks he's going far post, then the kill...

The way he's playing at the moment he looks sharp enough to keep his place in the team in the top league next season.

Still clinging onto the past.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, kushiro said:

Shinji's just started yet another season in a top European League. He's still with Sint Truiden in the Belgian top flight. 

I would think that League is of a comparable standard to the Championship here - and Shinji is nine months older than Jamie Vardy. 

The League started last weekend. Shinji was on the bench for their home game v Standard Liege. He came on with five minutes to go with the score at 0-0. He immediately scampered around in typical fashion and pressurized the Liege keeper into making a hurried clearance from which Sint Truiden regained possession,  and from the subsequent attack they scored the only goal of the game. 

It was one of those under the radar contributions that were so common in his time with us.

Shame OHL did not sign him

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Reports in the Japanese media this morning that Shinji will retire at the end of this season. He's just turned 38 and isn't getting much of a look in with St Truiden in the Belgian League this season.

I think a lot of people were expecting him to come back to Japan and continue playing into his 40s, as so many have done. 

I really hope he comes back as on my bucket list is interviewing him - sitting down with him and going through the 2015/16 season match by match, showing him the key moments and getting his reflections.   

3 hours ago, kushiro said:

I really hope he comes back as on my bucket list is interviewing him - sitting down with him and going through the 2015/16 season match by match, showing him the key moments and getting his reflections.   

I'm not sure you'd quite get the answers you might expect (or hope for).

He did a big interview a couple of years ago, and whilst I can't remember everything he said ... he was surprisingly rather less than happy about the 2015-16 season.   Mainly because he wasn't playing as an out-and-out striker, which he thought was his natural/best position.    Obviously he was happy to be part of such a great team, but gave the impression of being actually rather pee-ed off with where he was asked to play.  

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I'm not sure you'd quite get the answers you might expect (or hope for).

He did a big interview a couple of years ago, and whilst I can't remember everything he said ... he was surprisingly rather less than happy about the 2015-16 season.   Mainly because he wasn't playing as an out-and-out striker, which he thought was his natural/best position.    Obviously he was happy to be part of such a great team, but gave the impression of being actually rather pee-ed off with where he was asked to play.  

You're right. That interview was quoted on this thread - it was from Shinji's diary of the season, that he published in Japan, translated by yours truly and posted here four years ago (it's on page 29 of this thread). Part of the reason for wanting to talk to him is to get over to him just how loved he was (and still is) by City fans - and just how valuable a role he played  - in the opinion of most supporters - in that title win.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kushiro said:

You're right. That interview was quoted on this thread - it was from Shinji's diary of the season, that he published in Japan, translated by yours truly and posted here four years ago (it's on page 29 of this thread). Part of the reason for wanting to talk to him is to get over to him just how loved he was (and still is) by City fans - and just how valuable a role he played  - in the opinion of most supporters - in that title win.

Ah right.   I'm with you.   Oh yes, it would be great if someone reminded him just how valuable and loved he was (and is).

• Like 1

The Shinji retirement news is causing quite a stir here - on Yahoo Japan there are over 500 comments. Here's a sample, run through google translate:

I loved the way he  played aggressively, and prioritized the team's victory over his own points, as it really reminded him of a samurai.
I'll never forget his scoring ability in Germany, his miracle in England, and his overhead shot.
Although it became rare for him to score goals in Spain and Belgium, he still continues to play in matches while changing positions, probably because his IQ and attitude have been recognized overseas as well.
At the end, I wanted him to go back to Shimizu and see Japan again, but thank you very much for your hard work.
In my opinion, he is the No. 1 striker in the history of the Japanese national team.

There are few players who can do as much for the team as Okazaki. Despite coming up from the bottom with Shimizu and playing an active role as a goal scorer in Germany, what was required of him at Leicester was his dedication to running. However, even though his role changed, his pride did not get in the way and he continued to contribute to victory.
At that time, the front line players who were in the spotlight were Vardy and Mahrez, who had good numbers, but he was the one who chased the ball more single-mindedly than anyone else. It was shining. There's no ally who doesn't get energized by seeing him.  Thank you very much for your hard work during your long career.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 3

If that was from his diary at the time I suspect with a bit of distance his views on that season are probably a little bit different now he is a few years removed from it. Even if he wasn't happy with his role it makes me respect him even more because he was so good at it and used to come off the pitch every game having ran himself into the ground.

It's hard to pinpoint when I started to think we would win the league. First time it felt like it could happen for me was Vardy's screamer vs Liverpool when it seemed like everything was going right. We had the disappointment of Arsenal though not long after and it wasn't until Newcastle at home to go 5 points clear that I became confident we would do it. Who knows what would have happened if we'd have drawn that game 0-0 but for me That overhead kick was absolutely pivotal to us winning the league.

I met him in O'neils when he was in his last season for us. He was very quiet, not sure if that was due to his English speaking skills or he's just a quiet guy. I did tell him how much he's appreciated and personally one of my favourite players. The way he played, he's earnt the rest.

Edited by sm1
  • Like 1