Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Hope the guy makes it -could be argued that our drop off in form and intensity co incided  with shinj’s injury problem a little too neatly to not be relevant to us. Don’t think we ever really  understand and appreciate his value to our team. 

Nobody knows what he does, even Shinji....he's a sort of falling (over) star - but it's worked well for us, particularly in Premier League winning season and the European matches. I hope he gets to play for Japan during the World Cup, I'm sure it would mean a heck of a lot to him.

• Like 2

Sports papers here this morning are full of the change of direction under the new boss, with the 'Big Three' (Okazaki, Honda and Kagawa) all called up together to the Japanese squad for the first time in a long time. One of the papers likens it to a change of government - and there is certainly a sense of ripping up a predecessor's legacy - for Trump-Obama read Nishino-Halilhodzic. Another paper rates each player's chance of making the final cut - and puts Okazaki at 80% and Honda and Kagawa at 70%. It's largely guesswork of course but it's nice to see such confidence being expressed in Shinji, who himself was making very positive noises about his fitness and how confident he is he can do something in Russia when he arrived back in Japan on Tuesday. 

When he was asked about the Big Three at his press conference yesterday Nishino deliberately singled out Okazaki, and had to be pressed again to give his thoughts on Honda and Kagawa - the reverse of the situation at Halilhodzic's last press conference (see above) when journalists had to push him hard to explain exactly why Shinji wasn't in the squad. 

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shinji's been sounding very positive in the final hours before kick-off. Saying he's raring to go, basically. I've been looking back at Shinji's first world cup - eight years ago. Here's a few pics from that amazing 3-1 win over Denmark. Shinji came on as sub and put the seal on the victory with goal number 3, set up beautifully by Keisuke Honda.

IMG_1301.jpg

Here he is thanking Honda for the assist - so boyish!

IMG_1299.jpg

And here's another future Fox celebrating the victory:

IMG_1303.jpg

Remember those two free-kicks that set up the victory? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1YK0e-UWNg&t=0m45s

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, kushiro said:

In the aftermath of the Senegal game, Shinji's been called the 泥臭いつぶれ役 - the dorokusai tsubure yaku -  not the easiest phrase to translate - but here are a few possibilities:

'the player whose role is to fall over and get all muddy'

'the player whose role is to throw himself about and do the dirty work'

'the player whose role is to fly in to challenges and get stuck in'

I think you get the picture. Speaking of which, there have been some great shots of that equaliser in the papers - here's another one:

goal_big.png 

Yep that sounds like him! Do you think he will start today?

Edit: never mind just seen your post in the match thread

Edited by RutlanderFox

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of post Belgium game photos:

1) Apologizing to the fans.

bowing.jpg

2) The scenes as they arrive back in Japan.

airport.jpg

He's been saying that this is not the way he wants to end his international career - so we may see more of him in a Japan shirt. 

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Asian Cup in January isn't it? So not too long before a major tournament again. 

its not FIFA sanctioned so we don't have to release him I believe, heard something about that in relation to Son at Spurs

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

its not FIFA sanctioned so we don't have to release him I believe, heard something about that in relation to Son at Spurs

Wed be pretty mean not to... especially if we plan on keeping hold of Musa as is alledged.. Vardy nacho and musa should do us fine 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Slight confusion. Asian Cup is FIFA sanctioned. 

To avoid national service, Son has to finish the top four of a international competition. The Asian Games and Olympics are considered those by Korean authorities but not FIFA sanctioned. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jun/17/son-heung-min-world-cup-south-korea-military-service-asian-games

• Like 1

Japan were one of the brightest points of the tournament for me. I was gutted to see them concede those two silly goals (the first and the last one) to Belgium and lose. I think the biggest mistake was to leave the experienced 泥臭いつぶれ役 on the bench for the entire game :/

3 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Japan were one of the brightest points of the tournament for me. I was gutted to see them concede those two silly goals (the first and the last one) to Belgium and lose. I think the biggest mistake was to leave the experienced 泥臭いつぶれ役 on the bench for the entire game :/

As I am totally unfamiliar with the Japanese language, I did a google translate on 泥臭いつぶれ役....and all became clear (or not so clear.....but clearly obvious) lol

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

I'm checking on Shinji and Huesca every several weeks and hoping they will get the promotion. Even watched their game a few weeks ago (it was an away fixture and the pitch was horrible, which resulted in multiple sometimes comically misplaced passes from both teams, I bet he misses the clean cut green grass of KP stadium lol). I was pretty agitated when he wasn't featured in the squad for a couple weeks (could be down to some slight injury or some other reason, not necessarily the manager's shortsightedness), and the immediate effect was Huesca did poorly in those games. With him in the starting eleven they are doing much better, actually winning most games. He still seems as mobile and tenacious as when he played for us, his engine running at top speed just good old Shinji, I had a chuckle when saw how he always seemed to be the one starting the pressing, reminded me of his Leicester days. I might be mistaken but think because of his incredible work ethic, the never say die attitude (chasing opponents and lost balls, tackling, fighting against big guys and so on) he's become a bit of a fan favourite, because during that game I had watched I heard the supporters applauding him louder than other players :D   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...