Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

On 18/03/2020 at 00:32, Stuntman_Mike said:

I love this, I love him and I love how I'm on this clip celebrating his last goal for us :wub: legend. 

Wonderful video, that. Reminds me if what an incredible journey it’s been, from Shinji joining, to the magical title winning season and the incredible players involved with those goals Vardy, Mahrez, Drinky, Kante, Shinji, Maguire, Ndidi, even Gray looked amazing with his assist. It’s incredible when you look back at it all.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, kushiro said:

After our title win in 2016 Shinji published his diary of the season in Japanese. You might recall I put some English translations on here (see pages 21 and 22 of the thread). People were asking me to translate more sections but I said at the time that I was reluctant because some parts were very personal and seemed targeted at a Japanese audience only - making them more widely available seemed almost like an invasion of privacy. I thought that maybe after he'd left the club I'd go back and put a bit more on here. 

Well, as it's May 15th - four years to the day since we rounded off the season at Stamford Bridge, here's what Shinji diary said after the game:

Damn! Right to the very end the frustration continued.

May 15th. The last game of the season, at Chelsea. I was dropped. Not for Ulloa, but for Andy King, who came in to make a three man central midfiled. 'He's still not given up the 4-3-3...'. Like before, the formation didn't work. Chelsea were in control in the first half, and I was already being told to warm up. As I thought, my work rate was important for the team.

I came on for the second half. I wanted to get out there, put myself about and run all over the place. Gradually the game changed. We started putting Chelsea under pressure. I'd pick the ball up, turn, then lose my marker and ask for a return pass.

Midway though the second half, I was in space behind Vardy and shouted to Drinkwater to play me in. The pass didn't arrive. 'Hey, Drinky! Get your head up and look for me when I make those runs!' This was his reply: 'Calm dowm, Shinji. Leave that to Vardy. You come and help me back here'. 

Vardy and Mahrez are the golascorers, you do the job you've been given. I'm originally a striker - but I've been put in this role so my views aren't heard. In the end, that's how it's been for the whole year. 

I kept trying to get into goalscoring positions because that's what I am - a goal getter. If I don't get goals my place in the team and my reputation are at stake. i wanted to get into double figures for the season but in the end I only got five. In the second half of the season I could see the way the team was set up so we could go for the title, and I played my part in that to the full, but I had no clear achievements to show.

Drinkwater's long shot meant the game finished 1-1. At the end, we went to the away end to salute the fans who'd come down to London. I went up to Christain Fuchs and started telling him what kind of cross I wanted him to put in for me. This wasn't planning ahead for next season, I was just thinking I need to say this now. All my teammates were smiling at the season finally being over, but I didn't feel that way. I couldn't hold it back. I looked up at the sky and just let out a sigh.

I knew I should have been smiling but I couldn't. Inside me were anger and frustration. Leicester had done something great, but I had achieved nothing. 

Wow that's quite sad that he should think that because for me, he was a massive part of our success. I can thoroughly understand his frustration form a personal point of view but playing the way he did, so very often changed the game for us. I still miss his smile and commitment and whilst certain others may have queered their pitch a bit, I'm sure he remains a hero to most. I don't know how his season this year ended because the last I saw it had got a bit messy for him but, one thing for sure is that all Leicester fans wished him the best of luck when he left. He's was very much appreciated here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Strikers are judged (and paid) by how often they score and set up goals.  I don't blame him for being frustrated, because as he said his reputation was on the line.  A lot of Leicester fans saw the vital role Shinji played and appreciated it, but outside that bubble he was just viewed as the striker who didn't score goals.  He did yeoman's work on the pitch - no way we win that title without his work rate - but he hurt his career in the process.

I imagine a Premier League winners medal looks better on a footballer’s CV than a few extra goals for Mainz. He might not get the credit he deserves but that season will have done more for his profile than any other in his career.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Many thanks to @kushiro for producing that translation. Any more? 

Most of the highlights are on here already - see pages 21 and 22. I'll have a look if there's anything else worth adding.

One revelation from the book he put out the following year was that his eldest son is, would you believe, a Spurs fan. 

Look at this from the title celebrations. Under the Leicester shirt it looks like something he might have picked up in the Spurs souvenir shop.

shinji-sons.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, kushiro said:

Shinji could be in the Spanish top division next season. Yesterday his winning goal left Huesca in second place in a really tight race for promotion. Two go up automatically, the next four into play-offs:

Cadiz           37      63

Huesca        37      61

Zaragoza     36      61

Almeria        37      60

Elche           37      52

Girona         36      52

Here's his goal yesterday. Worst marking ever, but who cares. It cheered me up.

Sadly it won't let me watch it :(

Just seen it on You Tube. Still got that smile. Immortal. 

:shinji:

Edited by Spudulike
  • Like 1

Shinji v Shinji in the All-Aragon Promotion Race

I'm sure everyone's checking the Segunda Division updates by the hour but just in case you're not, Shinji's team Huesca lost a key game in the promotion race - 2-1 at Deportivo - but somehow came out of the weekend in a stronger position, with one of their main rivals for the second automatic promotion spot Real Zaragoza losing both their games in the last few days, and the other, Almeria, also losing. So Huesca are level with Zaragoza on points but ahead of them due to their better head to head results, with Almeria a point further back. For reasons I'm not sure of, Okazaki was just a sub at the weekend. Was he rested? Surely not dropped afer his winner last time out. He did get on for the last twenty minutes (bit of a reversal of his Leicester experience). 

Zaragoza and Huesca are actually local rivals - the two professsional clubs in the Aragon region of Northern Spain. A Huesca fan seems to have been busy on the region's wikipdeia page recently, where it tells you they are 'currently the best team in Aragon', quite a bold statement to make when they're only ahead of their rivals in the table on a technicality.

The other Japanese Shinji (Kagawa) is in the Zaragoza squad - though he's been struggling to make the starting line up recently. Kagawa's another member of the 'Japanese players with a Premier League winners' medal' club of course - membership of which has recently stretched to three with Minamino at Liverpool.

Looking at the remaining fixtures Huesca seem to have a great chance - two at home and two easy looking away games -  one against a club already relegated (Santander) and another one with nothing to play for (Gijon). 

A promotion race is a new experience for Okazaki - every season until this one he's played in the top flight, whether in the J League, the Bundesliga or the Premier League. Would be great to see him in the top flight in Spain. Huesca's next game is tomorrow - home to Alcorcon. It all climaxes a week earlier than the Premier League  - we'll know the final outcome shortly after our game at Spurs on July 19th.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2020 at 05:46, Deeg67 said:

Strikers are judged (and paid) by how often they score and set up goals.  I don't blame him for being frustrated, because as he said his reputation was on the line.  A lot of Leicester fans saw the vital role Shinji played and appreciated it, but outside that bubble he was just viewed as the striker who didn't score goals.  He did yeoman's work on the pitch - no way we win that title without his work rate - but he hurt his career in the process.

I'm not sure about that bit.

It wasn't just City fans who appreciated him.   Anyone in football with a brain would've seen how superb he was for the team.  It's fundamentally about your use to the team .. as a scorer and creator of goals, but also as a defender/marker, when the opposition have the ball.

Emile Heskey didn't score that many goals for the City.  Only 33 goals in 123 league appearances as a striker in his last 4 Premier League seasons,   A goal ratio of 0.27 looks very poor for a striker.   But his overall contribution all over the pitch was absolutely awesome.   That's why he was Liverpool's record signing at the time, and I think the 3rd highest British transfer fee record.

If Okazaki ended up feeling unhappy with his contribution to the team, then someone needs to put a sympathetic arm around him and put him right.    He was absolutely brilliant for us.    You don't play most games in a 10 point clear Premier winning team unless you're a top footballer.

• Like 3

On 15/05/2020 at 02:44, kushiro said:

After our title win in 2016 Shinji published his diary of the season in Japanese. You might recall I put some English translations on here (see pages 21 and 22 of the thread). People were asking me to translate more sections but I said at the time that I was reluctant because some parts were very personal and seemed targeted at a Japanese audience only - making them more widely available seemed almost like an invasion of privacy. I thought that maybe after he'd left the club I'd go back and put a bit more on here. 

Well, as it's May 15th - four years to the day since we rounded off the season at Stamford Bridge, here's what Shinji's diary said after the game:

Damn! Right to the very end the frustration continued.

May 15th. The last game of the season, at Chelsea. I was dropped. Not for Ulloa, but for Andy King, who came in to make a three man central midfiled. 'He's still not given up the 4-3-3...'. Like before, the formation didn't work. Chelsea were in control in the first half, and I was already being told to warm up. As I thought, my work rate was important for the team.

I came on for the second half. I wanted to get out there, put myself about and run all over the place. Gradually the game changed. We started putting Chelsea under pressure. I'd pick the ball up, turn, lay it off, then lose my marker and ask for a return pass.

Midway though the second half, I was in space behind Vardy and shouted to Drinkwater to play me in. The pass didn't arrive. 'Hey, Drinky! Get your head up and look for me when I make those runs!' This was his reply: 'Calm down, Shinji. Leave that to Vardy. You come and help me back here'. 

Vardy and Mahrez are the golascorers, you do the job you've been given. I'm originally a striker - but I've been put in this role so my views aren't heard. In the end, that's how it's been for the whole year. 

I kept trying to get into goalscoring positions because that's what I am - a goal getter. If I don't get goals my place in the team and my reputation are at stake. I wanted to get into double figures for the season but in the end I only got five. In the second half of the season I could see the way the team was set up so we could go for the title, and I played my part in that to the full, but I had no clear achievements to show.

Drinkwater's long shot meant the game finished 1-1. At the end, we went to the away end to salute the fans who'd come down to London. I went up to Christian Fuchs and started telling him what kind of cross I wanted him to put in for me. This wasn't planning ahead for next season, I was just thinking I need to say this now. All my teammates were smiling at the season finally being over, but I didn't feel that way. I couldn't hold it back. I looked up at the sky and just let out a sigh.

I knew I should have been smiling but I couldn't. Inside me were anger and frustration. Leicester had done something great, but I had achieved nothing. 

only just read all these diary posts and they are incredible

reading this one, i really want to know did he ever write anything about the fans? i.e. did he realise how much he was appreciated not just by team mates but an entire city, where he now has immortal status

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2020 at 02:44, kushiro said:

Well, as it's May 15th - four years to the day since we rounded off the season at Stamford Bridge, here's what Shinji's diary said after the game:

well that's depressing.