Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stox259

Has a team ever been relegated after 15 points from 8 games?

At this stage last year, only 3 teams had more points than we did (Chelsea 22, Man City 17 & Southampton 16), West Ham & Liverpool were also on 13 points. Ultimately the lowest place of that lot were WHU who finished 12th with 47 points. In 2013 Everton who were the lowest of the teams who had 15 points at the same period finished 5th with 72. Having just had a quick look over the past few years, most the teams in the same position as ourselves have finished very close to Europa League qualification. Hull City in 2008/09 are the worst example in recent history where at this stage they had a whopping 17 points and finished the season barely staving off relegation with 35 points.  

Hull had 17 points from 8 games in 2008-09 and only survived by a point, so it wouldn't be completely unprecedented if we did end up in a relegation scrap. Looking nice and unlikely though.

HANSA Rostock stormed the Bundesliga, I believe they were top 3 for 7-9 games, then collapsed, and were relegated.

After playing some great football, winning easy in a game, strolling in fact, then lost in spectacular fashion in the last 15 minutes, then took a massive nosedive.

Bochum had a great run in before New year, playing good football hanging around top 6, then collapsed after some major

injuries then were relegated.

Problem is I have forgot which years they were.

Although we finished 13th in the end in the Prem. back in 2001, I dare say the season where we topped the league under P.Taylor at a similar time as now, is still fresh in the minds of most on this forum, when we later lost nine on the spin in the March! We could easily have been relegated that season had it not been for our decent first half! The question posed at the start reminded me first and foremost of that strangest of seasons 15 years ago!

At this stage last year, only 3 teams had more points than we did (Chelsea 22, Man City 17 & Southampton 16), West Ham & Liverpool were also on 13 points. Ultimately the lowest place of that lot were WHU who finished 12th with 47 points. In 2013 Everton who were the lowest of the teams who had 15 points at the same period finished 5th with 72. Having just had a quick look over the past few years, most the teams in the same position as ourselves have finished very close to Europa League qualification. Hull City in 2008/09 are the worst example in recent history where at this stage they had a whopping 17 points and finished the season barely staving off relegation with 35 points.  

Ha, everyone remembers Jimmy Bullard's half time peetake re Phil Brown with Hull's 6-0 reverse at Man City!

For me you just have to look at the sides in the relegation zone, any of them have potential to be good. At least 2 of them will put a decent run together at some stage, hopefully we just keep ticking along the way we are and won't get drawn into that

I hope CR is sat in a room with a tinker sheet watching videos of Southampton formulating a plan of evil genius.

We are not going down this season. Like Thrac says we should be looking to sustain and develop upon our achievements. A cup run would be good but points against Southampton and Palace is where it's at for me at the moment this year.

I hope CR is sat in a room with a tinker sheet watching videos of Southampton formulating a plan of evil genius.

We are not going down this season. Like Thrac says we should be looking to sustain and develop upon our achievements. A cup run would be good but points against Southampton and Palace is where it's at for me at the moment this year.

Didn't he say in an interview he tends to leave things until the last minute? I like to think he just hangs out in Abbey Park until Saturday feeding ducks

Although we finished 13th in the end in the Prem. back in 2001, I dare say the season where we topped the league under P.Taylor at a similar time as now, is still fresh in the minds of most on this forum, when we later lost nine on the spin in the March! We could easily have been relegated that season had it not been for our decent first half! The question posed at the start reminded me first and foremost of that strangest of seasons 15 years ago!

I remember that quite well. I still have the paper with the league table in it with us top. Very shortly after we topped the table I went to Australia for an extended holiday (a year travelling), and had to suffer that slump of form whilst back packing in my LCFC top. 

btw - I am heading to Australia again in January for an extended holiday, hoping that it is not a portend! Although, I would have taken 13th at the start of the season, and probably still would now, just as long as we don't get relegated next!

Like one of the earlier posters, I'm not even contemplating Relegation right now. Think we have progressed past that and should be aiming for a top half finish now. No delusions about Champions league ;) but I'm not 100% ruling out us nabbing a Europa spot whether through the league or cup.

Get in a quality keeper and right back in Jan and we are good to go.

And another quality proven CB too.

There is always a first time for everything. It's irrelevant. 40 pts and we're safe. Simple as that.

I wish people wouldn't say this.

We don't know if 40 is enough.  Though hopefully Sunderland, Newcastle and Villa only get draws against each other and no more points for the rest of the season.

We could still be in for a relegation scrap and I do think the points for survival this year will be higher than 40, as so many of the "smaller" teams are and will get points off the big boys! We just have to hope that the current bottom 3 who are already getting left behind, continue to do so.

The way we have started this season though and not only that, but also the way we play and the intensity and spirit, I am really confident we can do more than enough to finish higher than we did last season.

Really confident but being a Leicester fan, always cautiously so! 

Statto.com has all the historical tables for every week if someone has the time to look up the answer :) 

eg: This time last year after 8 games:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2014-2015/table/2014-10-19

I'd be worried if I were a Geordie or Mackem. Both the bottom two last year had 4 after 8 games, both got relegated.

They're sitting on one less point now.

I remember that quite well. I still have the paper with the league table in it with us top. Very shortly after we topped the table I went to Australia for an extended holiday (a year travelling), and had to suffer that slump of form whilst back packing in my LCFC top. 

btw - I am heading to Australia again in January for an extended holiday, hoping that it is not a portend! Although, I would have taken 13th at the start of the season, and probably still would now, just as long as we don't get relegated next!

Have a good trip in January but like you, I hope it isn't then a repeat portend as in 2001! I actually think we've got a better squad that the one P.Taylor inherited from M.O'Neill and Ranieiri has bought very well so far compared to Taylor - no journeymen/donkeys like Trevor Benjamin, Lee Marshall, Junior Lewis or Akin Badbuy! I bravely tipped us to finish 13th last season actually (14th in the end it was), while this season the same oddly enough - but somehow that would be disappointing now, given our really great start.....

We were never favourites to be relegated . We began the season 5th favs. In a group with s'land, villa, Newcastle, the teams that came up all more likely to be relegated.

Not sure about the bookies, but virtually every media pundit had us nailed-on for relegation.

I'd be worried if I were a Geordie or Mackem. Both the bottom two last year had 4 after 8 games, both got relegated.

They're sitting on one less point now.

I've been chatting on a Sunderland forum, and I reckon if they choose Allardyce or Pearson, they could be OK. They do have some good players, and it needs a strong manager to sort them out and getting them playing decent football. Advocaat nearly managed it - I thought in the first half against West Ham they looked good, but in the second half they completely lost shape and discipline. The Mags, on the other hand, look like a shower of shite, I'm afraid. McClaren looked like a broken man on Saturday, and I don't think he knows how to sort them out.

It's never only about points. It's about teams are playing. You can generally see when teams are looking like just not winning football matches. They have an air abut them of almost conceding defeat before the game has started.

We looked a bit like this before we went down under Holloway. My mates had been saying we were 'too good to go down' and I'd argued with them, saying don't look at the points total (a few weeks before the end of the season) but more at how we were playing.

This Leicester City side look like one that can lose a game, but then bounce back the week after. We are playing too well at present to even consider relegation.

Archived