Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Manchester United Home. Post Match Day Thread 1 - 1

Really disappointed. We had nothing like the energy we showed last season and how easy a chance do we need to win a game?

Surviving is one thing but winning things requires ruthlessness. I've no idea why we've used Ulloa so little and even less idea why we've favoured Shinji so consistently.

But with our prime chance to seal the game falling to one of rustiest players in our squad we contributed to our own downfall. 

Is it really too much to ask to have at least a few others providing goals threat in our team? Well in happened today. An absolutely super move of the kind that carved out Vardy's opener and we couldn't complete what amounted to little more than a tap in.

No is wasn't all Ulloa's fault. He's virtually sat around all season and, to his credit, posed more threat in two or three situations than Shinji has done all season, apart form Sunderland.

But the great dilemma we have when not playing Shinji was also apparent.

We lost midfield for great chunks of time in the second half and it wasn't helped by our poor passing and the fact we looked so tired in such lengthy spells we didn't have the energy or attitude to support  one another other than occasionally.

It all reminded me of the Tottenham game second half. We didn't quite have the ambition and belief in ourselves. The disappointment of conceding The Swine's goal just on halftime seemed to linger for the rest of the game.

Yes, it looked a foul from the start, but what was Shinji doing marking the guy in the first place? You need a hard case in that situation or at least someone with enough strength and presence to at least prevent themselves being trampled all over.

That said we created the best chances and Ulloa's really should have been taken.

I kept thinking of Kingy on the bench because he's have despatched it and much more than that he'd have kept the sodding ball for us when it was so vital to stop giving it away and wasting so much energy as a result.

Yes, i's a compliment to our team and manager that I'm genuinely pissed off that we didn't beat United because we'll rarely get such a good opportunity.

But there was one more glaring weakness apart from the lack of support close to Vardy and that's our set pieces.

United were far superior and always a threat because it's clear that they'd worked on the subject.

We by contrast offered virtually nothing - no accuracy, no imagination and no signs that we'd worked on anything.

Most will say it was a point gained but i think it was two points squandered.

But so well done to Vardy for his record breaking 11th Premiership goal in successive matches. I never doubted he'd get it and what a goal. Kasper to Fuchs, the perfectly weighted final pass and what a finish.

It's what I'll remember the day for. That and the fact that we might lost the battle for possession but we really did have the chances to win and to move further clear of United at the top of the table.

More work to do......

But at least we established that we deserve to be where we are.    

I think it's a little harsh from people slating the energy of the team etc

I don't think some people think of the work players do off the ball. It's always what they see through an attack etc

Personally I think Man United will win the league this year (it does kill me to say it as I hate United) but this is a very organised team. Yes they don't play pretty football and something that isn't great to watch but they grind results and break teams down with possession and gradual build up play.

We were made to work a hell of a lot off the ball and beings as a few weeks ago everyone was slating our defence we dealt with them very well! That's another game we haven't conceded from open play.

Really disappointed. We had nothing like the energy we showed last season and how easy a chance do we need to win a game?

Surviving is one thing but winning things requires ruthlessness. I've no idea why we've used Ulloa so little and even less idea why we've favoured Shinji so consistently.

But with our prime chance to seal the game falling to one of rustiest players in our squad we contributed to our own downfall. 

Is it really too much to ask to have at least a few others providing goals threat in our team? Well in happened today. An absolutely super move of the kind that carved out Vardy's opener and we couldn't complete what amounted to little more than a tap in.

No is wasn't all Ulloa's fault. He's virtually sat around all season and, to his credit, posed more threat in two or three situations than Shinji has done all season, apart form Sunderland.

But the great dilemma we have when not playing Shinji was also apparent.

We lost midfield for great chunks of time in the second half and it wasn't helped by our poor passing and the fact we looked so tired in such lengthy spells we didn't have the energy or attitude to support  one another other than occasionally.

It all reminded me of the Tottenham game second half. We didn't quite have the ambition and belief in ourselves. The disappointment of conceding The Swine's goal just on halftime seemed to linger for the rest of the game.

Yes, it looked a foul from the start, but what was Shinji doing marking the guy in the first place? You need a hard case in that situation or at least someone with enough strength and presence to at least prevent themselves being trampled all over.

That said we created the best chances and Ulloa's really should have been taken.

I kept thinking of Kingy on the bench because he's have despatched it and much more than that he'd have kept the sodding ball for us when it was so vital to stop giving it away and wasting so much energy as a result.

Yes, i's a compliment to our team and manager that I'm genuinely pissed off that we didn't beat United because we'll rarely get such a good opportunity.

But there was one more glaring weakness apart from the lack of support close to Vardy and that's our set pieces.

United were far superior and always a threat because it's clear that they'd worked on the subject.

We by contrast offered virtually nothing - no accuracy, no imagination and no signs that we'd worked on anything.

Most will say it was a point gained but i think it was two points squandered.

But so well done to Vardy for his record breaking 11th Premiership goal in successive matches. I never doubted he'd get it and what a goal. Kasper to Mahrez, the perfectly weighted final pass and what a finish.

It's what I'll remember the day for. That and the fact that we might lost the battle for possession but we really did have the chances to win and to move further clear of United at the top of the table.

More work to do......

But at least we established that we deserve to be where we are.    

1081.gif

It was Fuchs with the assist btw.

Some one tell me I shouldn't be disappointed to not have beat Man U

Some one tell me I shouldn't be disappointed to not have beat Man U

Well, that's several posters who've independently used the word "disappointed". Not ashamed or anything like that but disappointed because United were there to be beaten.

I can't see how anybody could have thought Drinkwater had anything other than a stinker. Distribution was very poor, didn't close down men in the middle and kept running into trouble.

On the other hand Kante, for me, looked very good again. I don't see how you could ever blame the man on the post for another player losing his man. It was Okazaki's error, and he was equally poor when he mis-controlled a through ball which would have seen him through on goal had he done anything other than jab it six yards straight to the defender.

Was very impressed with Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy, while Mahrez had a bit of an enigmatic display. Flashes of brilliance and flashes of self-destruction.

All in all, considering their possession and us having, perhaps, the better chances, a draw was very fair, and represents an excellent point for us.

We need to sign one or two players who offer something In the air, a very poor goal to concede by us but on the bright side that's seven games without conceding in open play. Hutch and Morgan don't command the box In the air like Elliott and Walsh. We need to sign maybe a no 10 and a right back with physical presence. We're just so weak in the air and they're just so cheap goals to give away.

We favoured Shinji as the match was being broadcast to a billion people around the world, most of them in the far east!

What did Ulloa do to make you think he warranted a starting position?

United was always going to play out from the back so having 2 players with energy to press from the top to rattle them, which going by first half display how many times did they give away needless throw ins because of us pressing?

United was always going to play out from the back so having 2 players with energy to press from the top to rattle them, which going by first half display how many times did they give away needless throw ins because of us pressing?

He got into a great position to score in the first place and had another good shooting opportunity that he skied. Shinji presented no attacking threat whasoever..and rarely does.  

I can't see how anybody could have thought Drinkwater had anything other than a stinker. Distribution was very poor, didn't close down men in the middle and kept running into trouble.

On the other hand Kante, for me, looked very good again. I don't see how you could ever blame the man on the post for another player losing his man. It was Okazaki's error, and he was equally poor when he mis-controlled a through ball which would have seen him through on goal had he done anything other than jab it six yards straight to the defender.

Was very impressed with Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy, while Mahrez had a bit of an enigmatic display. Flashes of brilliance and flashes of self-destruction.

All in all, considering their possession and us having, perhaps, the better chances, a draw was very fair, and represents an excellent point for us.

Us getting a point against Man United despite our key midfielder having (I agree with you) an absolute howler just goes to show how far we've come.

I entirely agree. And yes, it was encouraging that the back four coped so comfortably apart from a few set-pieces including their goal. United were limited to just the odd half chance and that speaks volumes for all that they're nothing like the attacking United of the past. 

united were pathetic today, just as we expected. louis van gaal's whole time at united can be perfectly summed up by the last 30 seconds. the clock ticks onto 91.28, schweinsteiger has the ball 40 yards out and united have a lot of players finally committed to an attack. AND HE TURNS ROUND AND PASSES IT BACKWARDS. hahaha. absolute dog shite. 

we were fine to let them have the ball and scored a cracking goal and leo should've buried our other great counter for a win. "fine margins". poor defending from set pieces and one big miss the difference between that being a bit of an underwhelming result and it being the perfectly masterminded win to take us back top of the league. shame but we move on. we've now played one of our "going to get battered by them all" six game run and should've won. 

We need to sign one or two players who offer something In the air, a very poor goal to concede by us but on the bright side that's seven games without conceding in open play. Hutch and Morgan don't command the box In the air like Elliott and Walsh. We need to sign maybe a no 10 and a right back with physical presence. We're just so weak in the air and they're just so cheap goals to give away.

I think we need a no 10 type player. We need a creative spark who can carry the ball and also got a good shoot on them. I think Mahrez has the qualities but don't think he has got enough to play that role week in week out.

Not sure about the aerial threat, Wes and Huth should be winning more in the air on set pieces and that is why we put Ulloa on although I don't think it's enough. To add more height your either taking players away that are mentioned who are playing well already or replacing players in other positions just to be more of a threat in the air.

Attacking wise it's Vardy who probably wins more in the air for us

This is what I didnt understand today...

Kante pressed, but too often off the player.

Drinkwater, didnt press as he normally does and often got himself in front of the play.

Schlupp when he came on did not go towards the ball, let the opposition move forward.

We just dont set up for corners, too many players switch off, this would be poor even if we were in the bottom 3.

Okazaki, who I have always backed and had patience, but he runs too many times against a wall.

His tackles today, never won back the ball.His 1 real movement near goal, he made a poor descision,

which led to giving the ball away, is control was poor.

I thought after 60 mins Inler would of been a good sub.

Time now for a 4-6 run of Ulloa starts.

Fuchs and Smalling MOM performances.

That said, we proved we can mix it now with the so called big boys.

We could bragg we were below par, and managed a good point.

Plus if we didnt have corner viruses, more so today + against Soton we would have 4pts more.

He got into a great position to score in the first place and had another good shooting opportunity that he skied. Shinji presented no attacking threat whasoever..and rarely does.

No coincidence that United were able to waltz forward with regularity to within 30 yards of our goal when Okazaki came off.

Ulloa's finishing was absolutely terrible today. The only thing he offers a lot of the time is defensive solidity at set pieces. That's not to be sniffed at given that we are very poor at defending set pieces.

He and Okazaki are chalk and cheese. Depends what you want from your striker - goals, erratic hold up play and defensive set piece prowess, or energy, touch and the ability to win the ball back for the team.

Don't think Shinji had a particularly good game today but Ulloa was certainly no better when he came on.

I think we need a no 10 type player. We need a creative spark who can carry the ball and also got a good shoot on them. I think Mahrez has the qualities but don't think he has got enough to play that role week in week out.

Not sure about the aerial threat, Wes and Huth should be winning more in the air on set pieces and that is why we put Ulloa on although I don't think it's enough. To add more height your either taking players away that are mentioned who are playing well already or replacing players in other positions just to be more of a threat in the air.

Attacking wise it's Vardy who probably wins more in the air for us

We favoured Shinji as the match was being broadcast to a billion people around the world, most of them in the far east!

I'm not having that, Okazaki is a Nugent mark 2. That position is vital to supporting Vardy and the way the team play. But yet all he gets is criticism 'because he's a striker and doesn't score'. Okazaki's skill, quick thinking and first touch are on another level to Ulloa who loses the ball and is basically a donkey. Ideally, Kramaric would be pressing Okazaki for that spot in the team but Kram doesn't seem interested

No coincidence that United were able to waltz forward with regularity to within 30 yards of our goal when Okazaki came off.

Ulloa's finishing was absolutely terrible today. The only thing he offers a lot of the time is defensive solidity at set pieces. That's not to be sniffed at given that we are very poor at defending set pieces.

He and Okazaki are chalk and cheese. Depends what you want from your striker - goals, erratic hold up play and defensive set piece prowess, or energy, touch and the ability to win the ball back for the team.

Don't think Shinji had a particularly good game today but Ulloa was certainly no better when he came on.

No it's not a coincidence, it's because we backed off.... Ranieri was on the pitch almost screaming to stop dropping so deep..... 

Okazaki barely done anything to stop them "waltzing forward" I think I saw him attempt a few tackles but not sure he actually succeeded in one? He lost the ball atleast 5 times that I saw, He barely closed anyone down when they were within 10 yards of him, he really did look lackluster in the energy department.

Ulloa came on and done the job Okazaki is apparently here for, better then okazaki.

Archived