Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Manchester United Home. Post Match Day Thread 1 - 1

Utd played us well tactically. Smalling looked best player on pitch. Vardy is legend. Mahrez has to be given the ball. Felt we made an error in playing Oka over Leo. Delighted with point. We'll play better and get nothing. Always good to accumulate when not at best.

Felt like if there was any game to give Inler a shout, this in the second half would have been the one.

Why? I can't see a case for the bloke. Kingy yes, because when he's come on for cameos near the end of recent games, he's made a difference and kept us sharp and focused -  and how we needed in the second half today. But what has Inler done at all during his time here to make a case?

Today didn't call for an Inler type anyway.

What we missed today, particularly second half, was pace, attitude and the collective determination to win the game which has been characteristic of our performances this season. DeLaet and Schlupp were presumably meant to inject this but even they seemed constrained and there was no collective surging forward to be seen. 

Instead even the manager was resorting to urging us on. But there was nothing of the abandoned efforvescence of last season's 5-3. We remained contained to the point of being anonymous much of the time.

Yet, as the first half progressed I thought United's defence was shaky and that, second half, we'd increase our pressure and commitment to take advantage of that. But we didn't.

Instead we fell back, conceding possession to a point about 40 yards from our goal - just as against Spurs - and it struck me that if United had been anything like the team they were in Scholes' and Ronaldo's day, they'd have ripped us apart with the space they were given.

But had we maintained and increased our pressure, just maybe we could have won. Instead it was almost a stand-off but for that one inviting chance.

i thought mahrez was once again superb. should've had a brilliant assist, always looked a threat and should've had three or four of their players booked in the first half alone. 

that bit of skill after vardy had scored down our left man i nearly passed out 

Why? I can't see a case for the bloke. Kingy maybe because when he's come on for cameos near the end of recent games, he's made a difference and kept us sharp and focused. But what has Inler done at all during his time here to make a case.

Today didn't call for an Inler type anyway. What we missed today, particularly second half, was pace, attitude and the determination to win the game which has been characteristic of our performances this season.

Instead even the manager was resorting to urging us forward but it just didn't happen. There was nothing of the abandoned efforvescence of last season's 5-3. We were contained to the point of being anonymous much of the time.

Yet, as the first half progressed I thought United's defence was shaky and that, second half, we'd increase our pressure and commitment to take advantage of that. But we didn't.

Instead we fell back, conceding possession to a point about 40 yards from our goal - just as against Spurs - and it struck me that if United had been anything like the team they were in Scholes' and Ronaldo's day, they'd have ripped us apart with the space they were given.

But, had we maintained and increased our pressure, just maybe we could have won. Instead it was almost a stand-off but for that one inviting chance.

I think you can call it both ways: while we needed to up the pressure, that obviously wasn't happening with the players on the pitch, one large reason being that United had players who could actually keep the ball and choke away the game through mindless possession.

In a slower game like that, someone with a skill set like Inler could have made a difference. He would have some time on the ball to ping passes, which he could surely do. But just my shout, don't expect it to be universally shared.

Plus, while Drinky was more than fine, he didn't have a superb game. If Claudio could bring De Laet (happy birthday!) as the last sub, bringing Inler on is just as unreasonable.

People saying Mahrez wasn't as good as usual today but when he was allowed space i think he did very well. Was cynically brought down a number of times and should have had an assist if Ulloa wasn't a complete moron. Not many teams in the Prem he wouldn't get into right now

Was hoping Mahrez would instead pass it to Vardy on the left instead of Leo. What could have been.

Mahrez run for ulloa was world class, if that was Messi people would be w@nking off!

Fuchs pass to Vardy was bloody great and the finish was typical Vardy!!!

Great moment.

Great times!!!

Sorry but I'm not having all this "Okazaki is key to the team" due to him working hard. I can honestly struggle to recall him hitting a well struck shot at the club so far and he more often lets himself down with his technical play too, today making an awful effort to control the ball when he could have span through on goal. He is also weak and not particularly fast so I'm struggling to see how he fits in to our premier league ambitions.

If there is one role we could look at replacing it is Okazakis. There are players that do what he does that offer a genuine goal threat too, aka Long and Walters.

Don't be blinded just because we are winning, he has been a poor aquisition. Thank god Mahrez has steppped up because Okazaki is no second striker.

The kop were calling for Leo from half time and although he missed a great chance he seemed to be more of a threat than Okazaki who looked busy but ineffective.Okazaki looks better coming off the bench and I had expected Ulloa to start after last week.

Otherwise we played well as a team agree Vardy ,Mahrez and Fuchs were outstanding and defensively we looked OK apart from set pieces.Of course it was not a classic but United are quality and look a lot more solid than last year if less of a goal threat.

That ball from Fuchs is sublime. If it's a no look on like he says then even better.

Can be entertainers and still fly high. Happy days.

Also, re: Okazaki. Thought he was decent first half but completely lost the second. There was a point where he received the ball on the edge of the box and just makde a mess of it. Didn't seem to have the striker instinct of turning and getting in on goal. He's the most unstriker-like striker I've ever seen. I don't know what position he plays still.

Why? I can't see a case for the bloke. Kingy yes, because when he's come on for cameos near the end of recent games, he's made a difference and kept us sharp and focused -  and how we needed in the second half today. But what has Inler done at all during his time here to make a case?

Today didn't call for an Inler type anyway.

What we missed today, particularly second half, was pace, attitude and the collective determination to win the game which has been characteristic of our performances this season. DeLaet and Schlupp were presumably meant to inject this but even they seemed constrained and there was no collective surging forward to be seen. 

Instead even the manager was resorting to urging us on. But there was nothing of the abandoned efforvescence of last season's 5-3. We remained contained to the point of being anonymous much of the time.

But had we maintained and increased our pressure, just maybe we could have won. Instead it was almost a stand-off but for that one inviting chance.

Pretty much sums up my own thoughts.

Fantastic goal but I also felt that we rushed some of the passes in an attempt to get the ball forward. We were weak in the right back area all day.

The sooner we give Benny his chance the better, as from what I've seen of him he's solid in the tackle. good in the air and a good footballer. I think he can have the same impact as Fuchs has on he left.

Albrighton played well and covered a lot of ground. Kante similar. Drinkwater tried to play passes too quickly which I thought Utd were ready for.

Mahrez played in fits and start which is normal for him. But i felt a bit more wing play might have suited us better in opening up utd. But just my opinion.

I would have taken a point before the game with a Vardy goal so still happy.

Onwards and upwards we go.

I think it's a little harsh from people slating the energy of the team etc

I don't think some people think of the work players do off the ball. It's always what they see through an attack etc

Personally I think Man United will win the league this year (it does kill me to say it as I hate United) but this is a very organised team. Yes they don't play pretty football and something that isn't great to watch but they grind results and break teams down with possession and gradual build up play.

We were made to work a hell of a lot off the ball and beings as a few weeks ago everyone was slating our defence we dealt with them very well! That's another game we haven't conceded from open play.

Sorry there is no way utd will win the league this year. It's ok having all that possession but if you do nowt with it what's the point?

I thought we showed them too much respect and we were overran in midfield.

Says it all when some on here are upset we didn't beat them? I thought it was a fair result but we could have won it with the

Ulloa chance. The point blank header by them second half in which Kasper saved was offside the lino was flagging.

The only thing they will win this season is the borefest of the year they were bloody boring and not a patch on previous utd teams.

One last thing what is it with their chavvy fans drinking and singing Van Nistelroys name outside bloody morrisons of all places and

Slagging Vardy off. They really need to grow up.

Sign off by wishing Jamie Vardy heartiest Congratulations well done, well deserved.

I will have a look at replay when is on again but if it's Okazakis man he should be doing better to prevent it happening.

I hope they show it in full because he was fouled. I don't like blaming referees, but he was standing just in front of them and he must have seen the whole thing.

I don't know if it has been mentioned as I didn't read it all but did anyone else mention the foul on Okazaki for their goal?

Sorry mate, I didn't see your post. Yes he was fouled. Climbed all over the back of him, fookin joke it wasn't called!

Mahrez was often excellent today. The things he created ultimately didn't end up with the ball going in the net whereas they have in other games, don't think it's fair that he gets dismissed as having a below par game for that. He did well overall.

Some of his first touches were just sublime today. He was trapping balls coming at him from all heights and angles. Such a technically gifted player and we're so fortunate to have him.

Archived