Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bristol_foxes

Arsenal away - first five minutes

I think comparing a 5 minute boycott to the Women's Suffragette movement is perhaps not really providing a true comparison?

If people really want to make a difference then several thousand Leicester fans cancelling their Sky sports package might make more sense. I guess not so many would be up for that though?

Of course it isn't. It was in response to someone saying there is no point doing anything as this is how it is and how it will always be.

I was thinking - something similar that might be quite effective via social media is for those fans watching the game on TV to take a picture of themselves with their backs turned to the screen within the first 5 minutes and posting it to Twitter / Facebook under a universal hashtag (not sure what exactly, say #Football4Fans-Not4Profit

This would be easy to do and help show some solidarity with those making a protest at the stadium - plus you only need your back turned for the photo to make the point not the whole 5 minutes.

What do people think?

I'd love it if Union FS picked this up and ran this as a side campaign in relation to the Arsenal game - just come up with a better hashtag!

Luckily for myself I live in London so would make this game whenever it was over the weekend or Monday.

However, it's absolutely ridiculous for them to change it at such short notice. Had this sold out before the change? I certainly know friends who had booked train tickets in the supposedly safe knowledge this was to be at 3pm on the 13th.

To be honest, I'm more pissed off about them changing the Newcastle home game to a Monday. No chance I can make that now with work. It was the same with the Chelsea home game and any other weekday evening game. Last train to St Pancras is always 21:58 as well so even if I do go, with the walk back to the station I miss at least 15-20 mins of the game!

It gets to the point where you get fed up, in particular when this could be one of the best season's our club has ever had!

I'm very much behind the boycott! Plus think it will improve the away atmosphere. Everyone's a bit louder when they feel aggrieved.

Luckily for myself I live in London so would make this game whenever it was over the weekend or Monday.

However, it's absolutely ridiculous for them to change it at such short notice. Had this sold out before the change? I certainly know friends who had booked train tickets in the supposedly safe knowledge this was to be at 3pm on the 13th.

To be honest, I'm more pissed off about them changing the Newcastle home game to a Monday. No chance I can make that now with work. It was the same with the Chelsea home game and any other weekday evening game. Last train to St Pancras is always 21:58 as well so even if I do go, with the walk back to the station I miss at least 15-20 mins of the game!

It gets to the point where you get fed up, in particular when this could be one of the best season's our club has ever had!

I'm very much behind the boycott! Plus think it will improve the away atmosphere. Everyone's a bit louder when they feel aggrieved.

This!

People saying it will not make a difference need to wake up. The more people who get involved the moe effective it will be. It's easy to say we should all cancel our sky subscriptions but Rome wasn't built in a day. Baby steps and all that

UFS are right. The premier league is so marketable because of the support at the grounds every game.

I don't understand why people would be ignoring and accepting this

I'm very much behind the boycott! Plus think it will improve the away atmosphere. Everyone's a bit louder when they feel aggrieved.

Just as a suggestion, pre book a taxi for outside the ground, say old half time orange, leave 5 mins before and you will make station in no time.

Believe it or not 2 of my mates do it for every saturday ko, just because they hate the walk back and the rush at the bar in the parcel yard when everyone turns up at the same time.

I do have sympathy for the fans here, honestly I do. But seriously please… All that’s happened here is that you’ve been mildly inconvenienced.  Sky have changed the date of a game giving you three week’s notice. But so what? Man up about it. Life’s not perfect. Worse things happen at sea etc etc.

The team has to come first. Missing the first five minutes of what could be our most crucial league game EVER could backfire on the team. It could also backfire on the club, with Sky deciding to marginalise Leicester from their future coverage. Do not underestimate the power of Sky to influence the title race.

Our supporters need to be in their seats, cheering for the team from the first whistle.

Leicester City gains massively from Sky Sports coverage. Yes there is no game without the fans, but, like it or not, there’s also not much of a game without Sky any more.

Sky is the reason that the Premiership is so well-funded – and by extention, is the reason that the Thais wanted to buy a football team, and so is the reason why we have enjoyed such a magical season this year. There is no way of getting away from that.

Anyhoo, like I said, I think the fans have a right to be annoyed about this, but missing part of the game isn’t going to help our boys on the pitch – which is all any of us really care about.

I do have sympathy for the fans here, honestly I do. But seriously please… All that’s happened here is that you’ve been mildly inconvenienced. Sky have changed the date of a game giving you three week’s notice. But so what? Man up about it. Life’s not perfect. Worse things happen at sea etc etc.

The team has to come first. Missing the first five minutes of what could be our most crucial league game EVER could backfire on the team. It could also backfire on the club, with Sky deciding to marginalise Leicester from their future coverage. Do not underestimate the power of Sky to influence the title race.

Our supporters need to be in their seats, cheering for the team from the first whistle.

Leicester City gains massively from Sky Sports coverage. Yes there is no game without the fans, but, like it or not, there’s also not much of a game without Sky any more.

Sky is the reason that the Premiership is so well-funded – and by extention, is the reason that the Thais wanted to buy a football team, and so is the reason why we have enjoyed such a magical season this year. There is no way of getting away from that.

Anyhoo, like I said, I think the fans have a right to be annoyed about this, but missing part of the game isn’t going to help our boys on the pitch – which is all any of us really care about.

Tend to agree about boycott. Got to get behind the team. 60k Arsenal fans cheering their team on first 5 mins and an empty lcfc stand must have an effect on the team

I do have sympathy for the fans here, honestly I do. But seriously please… All that’s happened here is that you’ve been mildly inconvenienced.  Sky have changed the date of a game giving you three week’s notice. But so what? Man up about it. Life’s not perfect. Worse things happen at sea etc etc.

I can't believe some of the stuff I've read in this thread.

"Mildly inconvenienced" is a massive understatement.

I can't believe some of the stuff I've read in this thread.

"Mildly inconvenienced" is a massive understatement.

Well how would you describe it?

The game was going to take place on Saturday... but now it’s on Sunday instead. It's the end of the World as we know it. 

“Middle-class problems”, as they say.

Too many people have worked themselves up into a fuddle over this.

Well how would you describe it?

The game was going to take place on Saturday... but now it’s on Sunday instead. It's the end of the World as we know it. 

“Middle-class problems”, as they say.

Too many people have worked themselves up into a fuddle over this.

Well considering people, including myself, had trains and hotels booked it's more than a mild inconvenience. Granted EMT have said we can use Sunday's service(s) anyway - which is brilliant - but there's some people that can't get to the game anymore now.

Well considering people, including myself, had trains and hotels booked it's more than a mild inconvenience. Granted EMT have said we can use Sunday's service(s) anyway - which is brilliant - but there's some people that can't get to the game anymore now.

But there's now millions of football fans world-wide who can watch what will be one of the games of the season.

All you had to do was phone your hotel and change a room booking. :D

By the way, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do something to show your displeasure if you want to, but your protest needs to be proportionate to the inconvenience you've incurred... .

The 5 minute boycott is such a bad idea.

For one thing it's totally unworkable.  There's no way the Police will allow it. If Leicester scored in the first minute there'd be a rush for the seats and a stampede. So, to make sure this doesn't happen, those refusing to take their seats before Kick-off will probably be thrown out of the ground. The Police just won't tolerate that sort of risk.

Even if it was allowed, how long do you reckon it will take for 3,000 people to take their seats once those five minutes is up? 10 mins? 15 mins?

It could be 20 minutes before you actually manage to sit down and watch the game. Are you really prepared to miss around a quarter of this game just because you had to rearrange your hotel booking?

Ignore him. Can only assume people such as Fox Ulike don't watch Leicester away, so don't understand how much of an effect this has had. 

Ignore him. Can only assume people such as Fox Ulike don't watch Leicester away, so don't understand how much of an effect this has had. 

Yeah you're right. I don't much any more. But as I've followed the Foxes to dumps like Shrewsbury Town, Port Vale and Peterborough back in the day (and never seen us win at any of them), I think I've earned the right to comment. Don't you?

There are a lot of people who rely on TV coverage to follow the Foxes. Older folk, those with families, those who live away from Leicester and those who simply can't afford it. Don't just discount these people just because they don't put their money directly into the club's coffers through ticket sales.

The income that the club receives through fans  who watch the Foxes via Sky is just as important as the money they get from ticket sales. Maybe more important in fact.

Money is money. You're not more of a fan than me just because you give it to the club in a different way than I do.

Yeah, I'm sure the police are gonna baton a concourse full of people up the gangways to their allocated seats.

Some people have lost hundreds of pounds over this. Match-going supporters are treated as a sidewshow compared to an intenrational TV audience, which is wrong.

I was thinking - something similar that might be quite effective via social media is for those fans watching the game on TV to take a picture of themselves with their backs turned to the screen within the first 5 minutes and posting it to Twitter / Facebook under a universal hashtag (not sure what exactly, say #Football4Fans-Not4Profit

This would be easy to do and help show some solidarity with those making a protest at the stadium - plus you only need your back turned for the photo to make the point not the whole 5 minutes.

What do people think?

I'd love it if Union FS picked this up and ran this as a side campaign in relation to the Arsenal game - just come up with a better hashtag!

Sneaky... At the time of showing solidarity you can watch the first 5 mins via the mobile in selfie mode

I see what you did there

Yeah you're right. I don't much any more. But as I've followed the Foxes to dumps like Shrewsbury Town, Port Vale and Peterborough back in the day (and never seen us win at any of them), I think I've earned the right to comment. Don't you?

There are a lot of people who rely on TV coverage to follow the Foxes. Older folk, those with families, those who live away from Leicester and those who simply can't afford it. Don't just discount these people just because they don't put their money directly into the club's coffers through ticket sales.

The income that the club receives through fans who watch the Foxes via Sky is just as important as the money they get from ticket sales. Maybe more important in fact.

Money is money. You're not more of a fan than me just because you give it to the club in a different way than I do.

Money well be money. But not everyone can afford to lose it.

Hotel rooms and trains are cheaper if you book in advance but carry penalties if you want to change. Should people have to pay more so you can sit at home?

Yeah, I'm sure the police are gonna baton a concourse full of people up the gangways to their allocated seats.

Some people have lost hundreds of pounds over this. Match-going supporters are treated as a sidewshow compared to an intenrational TV audience, which is wrong.

I seriously doubt that. As I said in my post (which is above should you want to read it)  "those refusing to take their seats before Kick-off will probably be thrown out of the ground".

And how on Earth can anybody have lost "hundreds of pounds" over this? It's a day trip to London to watch a football match, not a week in Ibiza. :D

Money well be money. But not everyone can afford to lose it.

Hotel rooms and trains are cheaper if you book in advance but carry penalties if you want to change. Should people have to pay more so you can sit at home?

No they shouldn't have to pay more. And as I've said, I have sympathy for those who have been inconvenienced. As I've also already said, if they want to protest in a meaningful and appropriate way, they should do so. Could you do me a favour and actually read my posts before commenting on them? It saves sooo much time.

A mass protest during the course of a crucial game could negatively effect the team. That isn't a meaningful and appropriate protest.

What do people think?

This is a much better idea.

In fact, why don't the fans in the ground follow suit?

Instead of staying in the concourse, just turn your back on the action for the first few minutes.

That would be much stronger visually, and is likely to appeal to more of the fans. Plus would get round the Health & Safety issue.

I seriously doubt that. As I said in my post (which is above should you want to read it)  "those refusing to take their seats before Kick-off will probably be thrown out of the ground".

And how on Earth can anybody have lost "hundreds of pounds" over this? It's a day trip to London to watch a football match, not a week in Ibiza. :D

There's anecdotal evidence on here and elsewhere about the amounts lost by people who can't make use of EMT's offer because they live elsewhere.

You're not seriously suggesting the police would eject anyone not in their seat by kick-off are you? Plenty ball up late in our away ends on a regular basis because of turnstile queues/need a piss/underestimated travel time to the ground etc.

For one thing it's totally unworkable.  There's no way the Police will allow it. If Leicester scored in the first minute there'd be a rush for the seats and a stampede. So, to make sure this doesn't happen, those refusing to take their seats before Kick-off will probably be thrown out of the ground. The Police just won't tolerate that sort of risk.

Did the Police throw anyone out during the Bayern boycott? 

No they shouldn't have to pay more. And as I've said, I have sympathy for those who have been inconvenienced. As I've also already said, if they want to protest in a meaningful and appropriate way, they should do so. Could you do me a favour and actually read my posts before commenting on them? It saves sooo much time.

A mass protest during the course of a crucial game could negatively effect the team. That isn't a meaningful and appropriate protest.

I agree. I'm not for a protest that could affect the players.

But money is money just comes across as a flippant comment.

And as many others on here point out a lot. Why does everyone have to reference why they have been as some sort of reason for backing their argument. You suggest no one is more or less a fan but then try to reel of a load of shit places.

Oh and to answer the 100s of pounds comment. 30 or 40 quid on the train and have you seen a hotel price in London recently.

And holidays to ibiza cost 1000's now days for family's. Not 100s.

There's anecdotal evidence on here and elsewhere about the amounts lost by people who can't make use of EMT's offer because they live elsewhere.

You're not seriously suggesting the police would eject anyone not in their seat by kick-off are you? Plenty ball up late in our away ends on a regular basis because of turnstile queues/need a piss/underestimated travel time to the ground etc.

Depends how many people protest. They deffo won't allow 1,000s of people to congregate in the concourse and then all try to get into the stands at exactly the same time once the five minutes are up. That's what happened at Hillsbrough and so I seriously doubt the Police will just stand back and let it happen. If Leicester score at exactly the same time as everyone is trying to get through the narrow entrances to see what's happening - then someone could get hurt. Police just won't take that risk.

How the Police choose to handle this is of course speculative. My guess is that they will threaten to eject people from the ground if they don't take their seats, and might make a few examples by chucking out a few people in the hope that this will encourage everyone else in the ground.

It will be a difficult situation whatever happens, and won't reflect well on the club - especially if someone does get hurt.  I much prefer the idea of fans who want to protest just turning their backs on the action for the first five minutes. Police can't do anything about that and it seems a lot safer.

I agree. I'm not for a protest that could affect the players.

But money is money just comes across as a flippant comment.

And as many others on here point out a lot. Why does everyone have to reference why they have been as some sort of reason for backing their argument. You suggest no one is more or less a fan but then try to reel of a load of shit places.

Yeah it's a fair point. I was just responding to a post which questioned my LCFC fan credentials, and I took the bait!

To be fair though, anybody else who went to Shrewsbury Town in the 1980s to watch a pitiful 0-0 draw on a freezing January Saturday deserves a medal!!

Archived