Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bristol_foxes

Arsenal away - first five minutes

UNION FS - - 5 minute boycott at the start of the game where City fans remain in the concourse, watching the game on the TV monitors installed. Why? To make a point that without fans, there is no saleable product. Just 22 blokes kicking a ball around on some nicely cut grass. We would encourage Arsenal fans to join us with this, as they graciously did with Bayern Munich fans recently. We appreciate that fans want to watch the game they have paid for, and rightly so, but this is an extraordinary issue and we would ask you to join us and make a one-off stand for all football fans.

Looks like its happening, good idea, lets just hope a good number join in.

It's a good idea.

A better idea would be to boycott the game completely but unfortunately that would never happen, and sort of summarises why protests mean nothing, they can do what they want, they will still get 3,000 Leicester fans at the game.

It's a good idea.

A better idea would be to boycott the game completely but unfortunately that would never happen, and sort of summarises why protests mean nothing, they can do what they want, they will still get 3,000 Leicester fans at the game.

True Pablo but not really possible in this instance as tickets had already been sold.

Guest claude_leic

A lot of the people who "don't understand the five minutes," are the type of people who would willingly support Vincent Tan becoming Chairman and changing the kit to yellow and the badge to a Range Rover. I accept that protesting for five minutes is hardly going to dramatically change anything overnight, however it is something rather than nothing. The potential protest has already been highlighted on the back page of the London Evening Standard today and could easily catch on through social media. This is something which could happen regularly when fans are messed about by Sky and could progress to another level. Even if you absolutely love Sky and sit there with your tongue out absorbing every minute of Tim Sherwood's analysis on Monday night football, surely you agree that Saturday football at 3pm is preferable to Sunday football at 12. 

I have already been messed around by Sky this season with them moving the Chelsea game to Monday night. I purchased a season ticket with the expectation that most games would be held at the weekend with the odd one during the week. As i live in London now its an absolute nightmare to get back for any game which is not held at the weekend. Sky ideally want to broadcast football every night of the week with the interests' of the genuine football fans ignored in order to reach this goal. The five minutes concourse protest is a challenge to this authority and has the potential to make Sky consider the wishes' of genuine fans. 

I get that people are using the Bayern Munich idea as a precedent but the protest was for a totally different reason. They were protesting the prices of the tickets charged by Arsenal for the tie and hence got shown as part of the coverage. I get that people are upset but this protest is not going to change Sky's behavior going forward as they will always get more viewers and revenue for a top of the table clash and the revenue they generate for the clubs is way in excess of anything we provide as fans via tickets.

I think it's a nice gesture by the club to offer refunds (they didn't need to do it) and I know it doesn't cover any lost money spent on trains etc. that you may have spent.

I'd also like to point out I'm not supporting Sky in their messing around with times (and making me now have to get up for a 6am game) at such short notice, in fact I think that once the fixtures have been posted, they should stay that way. A lot of pain could be avoided if they could show 3pm kick offs in the UK, a restriction that I still think is archaic considering if UK based folks want to stay home and watch on TV, they can by unofficial means. Does it really encourage folks to go a lower league or non-league game on away days, or go to the ground instead of the match? I don't think so. Allowing the same coverage as we get in the rest of the world would open up extra revenue for clubs, get more fans to watch games and also mean they can keep fixtures as they are (barring cup runs etc causing conflicts).

I feel for those of you who have been screwed over and can't go, we already pump enough money into being supporters as it is and it's stuff like this that takes it over the edge.

For those going, I think vocally showing your support for the club (and ignoring Sky etc) is the best way to support the team, enjoy the (whole) experience and hopefully the lads on the pitch will hear about this and try extra hard for the first 5 minutes and smash Arsenal to really make it a great day (for those of you in person and those of us watching from afar).

All refundable now....problem is you give them up someone who doesn't care will take them.

Yeah you're right mate. I don't go if it's more than £37 in the league (once paid that amount for Forest) so I've missed Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City etc the last year and a half. Not really made a difference because someone else takes my ticket. But it matters to me.

Arseblog posted this on it too:

"It feels almost reductive to say it, but people who go to games are now an afterthought, and it’s baffling that there isn’t a greater sense of collective amongst fans to deal with issues like this. Leicester fans are planning a protest and maybe it’ll be effective or maybe it won’t, but at least it’s something. If you don’t agree with it, fine. If you don’t think it will make any difference, that’s also fine. But the one thing that’s guaranteed not to effect any change at all is doing nothing.

Football fans, as we know, are an odd bunch. We take joy and pleasure from the unhappiness of others, that’s part and parcel of the game. But on this particular issue, it would surely be to everyone’s benefit if there was some sense of collective. The enemy of my enemy and all that, and more and more the broadcasters are becoming the enemy of match going fans."

Some important questions have been raised by City fans since our statement yesterday evening. Here's our take on some of the FAQs:

WHAT WILL A 5-MINUTE PROTEST (OR 'BOYCOTT') ACHIEVE?

Within 12 hours of Union FS announcing its intention to boycott the first 5 minutes, the statement had been replicated in articles by The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail and The London Evening Standard. We had discussed the issue on Radio Leicester and had contact with the Leicester Mercury.

Within 24 hours, the Premier League were forced into making a statement. East Midlands Trains advised that pre-booked tickets for the Saturday would be valid for the Sunday. Arsenal and Leicester City both confirmed that individuals no longer able to attend were entitled to full refunds.

We cannot claim to have been the sole reason for these actions. But the general outpouring of dissatisfaction from both Arsenal and Leicester fans in reaction to the news IS the reason. Fans have shown unity and achieved results. You can therefore make a case that the boycott has already been a partial-success.

That is not to say we will not continue to push for this protest by attending fans. We still believe that these 5 minutes can, and will, make a big difference. Taking a stand at every opportunity is absolutely vital if we are to reclaim our game.

An ideal result would be for all 3,000 City fans to remain in the concourse (or as far back in the stand as possible - this would also be an option for those not willing to miss any of the game) to ensure that the away end appears empty on TV. Union FS will display banners in the empty seats to further make our dissatisfaction known.

An empty stand means silence. TV companies hate this. It makes their 'product' less valuable. Games starting in silent or empty stadiums mean people switch channel. A vibrant crowd is vital for keeping neutral viewers interested. If we remove the away element for JUST FIVE minutes then we can have a real impact.

Furthermore, the introduction of our fans five minutes in will add real comparative value as to what difference away fans make to atmospheres. It is time that the Premier League and Sky Sports recognised this to its full extent. We can make history in starting that journey.

Besides, what have we lost if it's not a visual success on the day? Better to have tried to make a difference than simply sitting back and accepting a raw deal.

WHAT IF SKY DON'T SHOW THE AWAY END EMPTY (OR HALF-EMPTY)?

If we were honest, if Arsenal are attacking towards the Leicester fans in the first half, they will struggle to not show it. If not, then social media has a big enough reach to make an impact.

WHY NOT BOYCOTT THE WHOLE GAME?

Whilst we would agree that this would be a more effective form of visual protest, the timing (i.e. tickets already sold) means that this is not possible. In more general terms, the current climate of the English fan scene means it remains an unrealistic ambition to convince all fans to completely boycott a fixture.

WILL ARSENAL FANS JOIN IN?

Union FS are working with counterparts at Arsenal and the general message is... some will, some won't. As with any club, organising a protest en masse is incredibly difficult. We cannot force supporters (of either club) who have paid good money to watch a game and who may not see the actions of Sky and the Premier League's as a big enough issue to miss part of the game for to do just that.

In any case, we expect that the early nature of the kick off time will ensure plenty of empty seats for the first five minutes.

HOW WILL 3,000 FANS FIT IN THE CONCOURSE?

This is a very valid concern. That said, we would anticipate that many City fans will exercise their right to not partake in this protest and watch the first five minutes from their seat.

Union FS will shortly be reaching out to Arsenal in this regard to liaise with their matchday staff in order to ensure the safety of all Leicester City fans.

-----------

Have a cracking weekend, here's to 3 points today!

Union FS

Not sure if this has already been posted but this is what the Bayern Munich fans did.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/1o3o.mp4

But this is on Sky and it's a protest against Sky, don't expect for one minute they will show the leicester fans walking in late or even mention it, even if the Arsenal fans applaud it.

They as we know did it for totally different reasons.

Sorry chaps, won't be participating in this demo. Fair play for making a stance.

Please let's not make this a 90min dig at Sky with chants etc. The odd one will be fine but we need to be behind the team for potentially the biggest league game to date

Some important questions have been raised by City fans since our statement yesterday evening. Here's our take on some of the FAQs:

WHAT WILL A 5-MINUTE PROTEST (OR 'BOYCOTT') ACHIEVE?

Within 12 hours of Union FS announcing its intention to boycott the first 5 minutes, the statement had been replicated in articles by The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail and The London Evening Standard. We had discussed the issue on Radio Leicester and had contact with the Leicester Mercury.

Within 24 hours, the Premier League were forced into making a statement. East Midlands Trains advised that pre-booked tickets for the Saturday would be valid for the Sunday. Arsenal and Leicester City both confirmed that individuals no longer able to attend were entitled to full refunds.

We cannot claim to have been the sole reason for these actions. But the general outpouring of dissatisfaction from both Arsenal and Leicester fans in reaction to the news IS the reason. Fans have shown unity and achieved results. You can therefore make a case that the boycott has already been a partial-success.

That is not to say we will not continue to push for this protest by attending fans. We still believe that these 5 minutes can, and will, make a big difference. Taking a stand at every opportunity is absolutely vital if we are to reclaim our game.

An ideal result would be for all 3,000 City fans to remain in the concourse (or as far back in the stand as possible - this would also be an option for those not willing to miss any of the game) to ensure that the away end appears empty on TV. Union FS will display banners in the empty seats to further make our dissatisfaction known.

An empty stand means silence. TV companies hate this. It makes their 'product' less valuable. Games starting in silent or empty stadiums mean people switch channel. A vibrant crowd is vital for keeping neutral viewers interested. If we remove the away element for JUST FIVE minutes then we can have a real impact.

Furthermore, the introduction of our fans five minutes in will add real comparative value as to what difference away fans make to atmospheres. It is time that the Premier League and Sky Sports recognised this to its full extent. We can make history in starting that journey.

Besides, what have we lost if it's not a visual success on the day? Better to have tried to make a difference than simply sitting back and accepting a raw deal.

WHAT IF SKY DON'T SHOW THE AWAY END EMPTY (OR HALF-EMPTY)?

If we were honest, if Arsenal are attacking towards the Leicester fans in the first half, they will struggle to not show it. If not, then social media has a big enough reach to make an impact.

WHY NOT BOYCOTT THE WHOLE GAME?

Whilst we would agree that this would be a more effective form of visual protest, the timing (i.e. tickets already sold) means that this is not possible. In more general terms, the current climate of the English fan scene means it remains an unrealistic ambition to convince all fans to completely boycott a fixture.

WILL ARSENAL FANS JOIN IN?

Union FS are working with counterparts at Arsenal and the general message is... some will, some won't. As with any club, organising a protest en masse is incredibly difficult. We cannot force supporters (of either club) who have paid good money to watch a game and who may not see the actions of Sky and the Premier League's as a big enough issue to miss part of the game for to do just that.

In any case, we expect that the early nature of the kick off time will ensure plenty of empty seats for the first five minutes.

HOW WILL 3,000 FANS FIT IN THE CONCOURSE?

This is a very valid concern. That said, we would anticipate that many City fans will exercise their right to not partake in this protest and watch the first five minutes from their seat.

Union FS will shortly be reaching out to Arsenal in this regard to liaise with their matchday staff in order to ensure the safety of all Leicester City fans.

-----------

Have a cracking weekend, here's to 3 points today!

Union FS

This is what I was thinking, the concourse at the Emirates isn't very spacious and the passageway

to the seats is very narrow!

If everyone is to enter the seating area at the same time it will be a lot more than a five minute 

boycott for most!

Interesting response from ufs.

Where does a fans group set up to back the team and help create atmosphere stand.

On 1 the players warming up and potentially seeing an empty away end.

2 the players potentially walking out to an empty away end.

3 if you place banners etc in an empty stand the stewards will remove them no doubt.

Not suggesting you don't do it. But is there an alternative.

Banners In the crowd are less likely to be removed with out a fuss.

Doing the poznan for 5 mins lol

Have a read of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette this started with just a few people. And if they had all had the opinion of "oh well, it wont make a difference" where would we be. 

Disclaimer - I am not saying we should start bombing MP's houses!

I think comparing a 5 minute boycott to the Women's Suffragette movement is perhaps not really providing a true comparison?

If people really want to make a difference then several thousand Leicester fans cancelling their Sky sports package might make more sense. I guess not so many would be up for that though?

The banners is a much better idea and more visual too, but they'll be taken off us immediately by the stewards

Apparently the stewards are fine there, look at photos of Bayern's protest, the stewards are just stood round looking at them. I would assume they got in touch with Arsenal's SLO beforehand though so they were briefed that something was happening. Hopefully the same will happen here, anyway if you're stood in the middle of the block with a banner it's going to take a little while for a steward to make his way to you by which point the photographers will have snapped you and the pics will be in the paper, job done  :) .

Get behind the lads after this 5 mins. Remind them we are actually there. I'll be damned if I'm singing anti sky songs all game and not lcfc songs

Exactly this. Think the players will be OK with subdued support for 5 minutes, they must be used to getting it most weeks away from home recently...

Archived