Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
5 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I wonder how much sleep im gonna get tonight, lol!

I HAVE purposefully knackered myself out physically

All the best for tomorrow. Just remember whatever the result it doesnt define you as a person.

  • Like 2
Posted
18 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

I wonder how much sleep im gonna get tonight, lol!

I HAVE purposefully knackered myself out physically

I may have told this on here before I think, so forgive me...

 

A while ago I met with an Exec headhunter, proper high flyer. I was a bit nervous when I met him at a Starbucks in London. We sat down and he introduced himself like this...

 

"Hi I'm Tony from xyz recruiting, nice to meet you. Before we get started, I just want to let you know that I'm ADHD which means you might see me fidget a bit and look like I'm distracted - but I'm not. My mind does race a bit so apologies if I appear like I'm not listening - I am. I just want you to feel comfortable knowing that I might display a few weird tendancies but I'm good at what I do and that's the main thing" :)

 

He totally owned it and I had massive respect for him calling it out so confidently and once we were in the flow of the conversation I completely forgot about it.

 

Nice bloke and I enjoyed our chat and everytime someone talks about ADHD I think of him.

  • Like 2
Posted
3 hours ago, Izzy said:

I may have told this on here before I think, so forgive me...

 

A while ago I met with an Exec headhunter, proper high flyer. I was a bit nervous when I met him at a Starbucks in London. We sat down and he introduced himself like this...

 

"Hi I'm Tony from xyz recruiting, nice to meet you. Before we get started, I just want to let you know that I'm ADHD which means you might see me fidget a bit and look like I'm distracted - but I'm not. My mind does race a bit so apologies if I appear like I'm not listening - I am. I just want you to feel comfortable knowing that I might display a few weird tendancies but I'm good at what I do and that's the main thing" :)

 

He totally owned it and I had massive respect for him calling it out so confidently and once we were in the flow of the conversation I completely forgot about it.

 

Nice bloke and I enjoyed our chat and everytime someone talks about ADHD I think of him.

So when someone says ADHD you think XYZ

  • Haha 4
Posted
15 hours ago, filthyfox said:

I wonder how much sleep im gonna get tonight, lol!

I HAVE purposefully knackered myself out physically

Best of luck for today, I hope you get the answers you need. 

Posted

Not depression as such but I think sleep can massively affect mood. I'm generally a good sleeper but my son isn't. He can typically wake up at 1 or 2am and then not go back to sleep....until the following evening.

 

This is OK now and again but its pretty regular where I find myself operating on a handful of hours sleep, I'm not sure in the past 8 years I've had a week of ''normal sleep''. Because he is autistic, he needs to be watched all the time which requires one of us to be with him when he wakes up, it's not always easy when he wants us both to be in the same room.

 

I find myself dangerously overtired most of the time and it generally makes you feel like crap, alongside the continued caring responsibilities and a demanding full time job. The feeling is tiredness, brain fog and general irritability most days of the week. 

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I have BPD. Mood swings are really getting the best of me and I am struggling. Go from laughing my head off with colleagues in the morning to suddenly feeling extremely depressed. No middle ground whatsoever.

 

Could be the slightest inconvenience that most would laugh off, to me it cripples me and puts me in a rabbit hole of depression again.

 

None of my family want/have anything to do with me anymore. Barely any friends. No social life. Just a constant rollercoaster of feeling great then feeling terrible.

 

No idea why I have even posted this, feels good to get it out of my head somewhere, so apologies for this drivel. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Not depression as such but I think sleep can massively affect mood. I'm generally a good sleeper but my son isn't. He can typically wake up at 1 or 2am and then not go back to sleep....until the following evening.

 

This is OK now and again but its pretty regular where I find myself operating on a handful of hours sleep, I'm not sure in the past 8 years I've had a week of ''normal sleep''. Because he is autistic, he needs to be watched all the time which requires one of us to be with him when he wakes up, it's not always easy when he wants us both to be in the same room.

 

I find myself dangerously overtired most of the time and it generally makes you feel like crap, alongside the continued caring responsibilities and a demanding full time job. The feeling is tiredness, brain fog and general irritability most days of the week. 

...sleep apnoea possibility?

Ignore me.  I literally didnt read it all!

Edited by filthyfox
ADHD
  • Thanks 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Not depression as such but I think sleep can massively affect mood. I'm generally a good sleeper but my son isn't. He can typically wake up at 1 or 2am and then not go back to sleep....until the following evening.

 

This is OK now and again but its pretty regular where I find myself operating on a handful of hours sleep, I'm not sure in the past 8 years I've had a week of ''normal sleep''. Because he is autistic, he needs to be watched all the time which requires one of us to be with him when he wakes up, it's not always easy when he wants us both to be in the same room.

 

I find myself dangerously overtired most of the time and it generally makes you feel like crap, alongside the continued caring responsibilities and a demanding full time job. The feeling is tiredness, brain fog and general irritability most days of the week. 

Yeah that sounds tough, for all of you.

 

What does your partner do during the day? Is it possible for you to at least try to get the most sleep at night so they can try and nap during the day? Then you can take over when you get home? I realise this massively depends on your son's age and their daytime routine, and I'm aware he has additional needs, but I remember my husband used to get the children and bring them to me in the night, it saved me getting up, then he would go back to sleep ready for his day at work and I would catch up where I could.

 

It's not easy I know, and lots of parenting is just about finding what works for you as a family, but you have my empathy. 

 

And yes sleep, or lack of it, is such a factor in our wellbeing, both physically and mentally. At some point you will hopefully look back on these years with a smile, but it's hard, really hard, especially when children are older than you would expect them to be when they sleep through the night, and even more so when there might be no end in sight to when they do. 

 

If nothing else I work nights so I'm always here for a chat, as are our Canadian/US friends ;)

  • Like 1
Posted
5 hours ago, BDW-11 said:

I have BPD. Mood swings are really getting the best of me and I am struggling. Go from laughing my head off with colleagues in the morning to suddenly feeling extremely depressed. No middle ground whatsoever.

 

Could be the slightest inconvenience that most would laugh off, to me it cripples me and puts me in a rabbit hole of depression again.

 

None of my family want/have anything to do with me anymore. Barely any friends. No social life. Just a constant rollercoaster of feeling great then feeling terrible.

 

No idea why I have even posted this, feels good to get it out of my head somewhere, so apologies for this drivel. 

It's not drivel, it's what needs to be said.

 

Do you take any meds for it? Do your friends and family fully understand what's going on?

 

People really need to be more understanding and tolerant.

  • Like 1
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Not depression as such but I think sleep can massively affect mood. I'm generally a good sleeper but my son isn't. He can typically wake up at 1 or 2am and then not go back to sleep....until the following evening.

 

This is OK now and again but its pretty regular where I find myself operating on a handful of hours sleep, I'm not sure in the past 8 years I've had a week of ''normal sleep''. Because he is autistic, he needs to be watched all the time which requires one of us to be with him when he wakes up, it's not always easy when he wants us both to be in the same room.

 

I find myself dangerously overtired most of the time and it generally makes you feel like crap, alongside the continued caring responsibilities and a demanding full time job. The feeling is tiredness, brain fog and general irritability most days of the week. 

Definitely sleep is a huge part of well-being in general. I rests the body and literally defrags the brain. If anyone has had to defrag a harddrive, you'll know how much better your PC ran afterwards.

 

Of course, being a carer for someone else adds another level of difficulty. Have you any idea on anything that triggers his waking so early? Could even be something that happened earlier in the day?

 

Sorry if I'm just digging up old ground.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
8 hours ago, BDW-11 said:

I have BPD. Mood swings are really getting the best of me and I am struggling. Go from laughing my head off with colleagues in the morning to suddenly feeling extremely depressed. No middle ground whatsoever.

 

Could be the slightest inconvenience that most would laugh off, to me it cripples me and puts me in a rabbit hole of depression again.

 

None of my family want/have anything to do with me anymore. Barely any friends. No social life. Just a constant rollercoaster of feeling great then feeling terrible.

 

No idea why I have even posted this, feels good to get it out of my head somewhere, so apologies for this drivel. 

Hey mate, im in a similar boat. Feel free to reach out

Posted
11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yeah that sounds tough, for all of you.

 

What does your partner do during the day? Is it possible for you to at least try to get the most sleep at night so they can try and nap during the day? Then you can take over when you get home? I realise this massively depends on your son's age and their daytime routine, and I'm aware he has additional needs, but I remember my husband used to get the children and bring them to me in the night, it saved me getting up, then he would go back to sleep ready for his day at work and I would catch up where I could.

 

It's not easy I know, and lots of parenting is just about finding what works for you as a family, but you have my empathy. 

 

And yes sleep, or lack of it, is such a factor in our wellbeing, both physically and mentally. At some point you will hopefully look back on these years with a smile, but it's hard, really hard, especially when children are older than you would expect them to be when they sleep through the night, and even more so when there might be no end in sight to when they do. 

 

If nothing else I work nights so I'm always here for a chat, as are our Canadian/US friends ;)

Thanks Deb appreciated. She’s self employed but is now only working 10-15 hours per week. He’s 8 and at a specialist school - the issue with sleep is he will want us both in the same room, and the thing I didn’t mention in my first post is the he can have quite violent meltdowns and is non verbal - so he can start hitting, kicking and pulling hair, so we both end up being up to avoid this - one of us just can’t jump in the spare room for a kip, it’s a nightmare. 

We’re trialling liquid melatonin which is making his sleep worse not better lol

 

  • Sad 1
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Thanks Deb appreciated. She’s self employed but is now only working 10-15 hours per week. He’s 8 and at a specialist school - the issue with sleep is he will want us both in the same room, and the thing I didn’t mention in my first post is the he can have quite violent meltdowns and is non verbal - so he can start hitting, kicking and pulling hair, so we both end up being up to avoid this - one of us just can’t jump in the spare room for a kip, it’s a nightmare. 

We’re trialling liquid melatonin which is making his sleep worse not better lol

 

Ah man, this sounds so tough for you. I hope you're able to avoid exacerbating factors during these episodes (social media for example, it really is easy to doom scroll at low moments).

  • Thanks 1
Posted
On 07/07/2026 at 21:37, Lionator said:

I’m an alcoholic but really want to safely withdraw without scaring my parents that I’m staying with atm, does anyone have any tips 

 

Sorry landed on this page just seen this.

 

Have you sorted this? All Will power is both incorrect and can be dangerous depending on the amount, horrendous advice.

 

Can give you some pointers if you want.  

Posted
15 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's not drivel, it's what needs to be said.

 

Do you take any meds for it? Do your friends and family fully understand what's going on?

 

People really need to be more understanding and tolerant.

Yeah - currently on 150mg venlafaxine a day. Really wish I could get off them but it is impossible. Friends do, family have nothing to do with me anymore which hurts. It's more work now - started a new job in June and they are all so different to me. None of them get it and think I am taking things personally when really it is just my head. Told them this before I joined but it has gone in one ear and out of the other at the moment.

 

15 hours ago, bmt said:

Hey mate, im in a similar boat. Feel free to reach out

That would be really good. Don't know anyone else in a similar boat - thanks for this mate.

Posted
3 hours ago, BDW-11 said:

Yeah - currently on 150mg venlafaxine a day. Really wish I could get off them but it is impossible. Friends do, family have nothing to do with me anymore which hurts. It's more work now - started a new job in June and they are all so different to me. None of them get it and think I am taking things personally when really it is just my head. Told them this before I joined but it has gone in one ear and out of the other at the moment.

 

That would be really good. Don't know anyone else in a similar boat - thanks for this mate.

Hope you and BMT can help each other out

Posted
7 hours ago, BDW-11 said:

Yeah - currently on 150mg venlafaxine a day. Really wish I could get off them but it is impossible. Friends do, family have nothing to do with me anymore which hurts. It's more work now - started a new job in June and they are all so different to me. None of them get it and think I am taking things personally when really it is just my head. Told them this before I joined but it has gone in one ear and out of the other at the moment.

 

That would be really good. Don't know anyone else in a similar boat - thanks for this mate.

Just gone up to 75mg of Venlafaxine after a couple of months on 37.5. Not impressed so far

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

It’s getting bad again. My sciatica has been awful recently and it’s stopping me from doing every day tasks like going for walks, playing sport and even working some days. It’s left me feeling useless and a bit pathetic. My partner needs me atm for some pretty serious issues and I’m so mentally drained from my tablets (Which I think might be making my depression worse) I’m finding it really hard to support her and keep myself afloat. I’m exhausted and spending a lot of time in my head, I’m my harshest critic and when my heads like this is best myself up inside, a lot!!!  
 

feeling really quite lost and lonely. Not sleeping well and having horrid vivid dreams. It’s just all getting too much right now!! My partner is usually my rock and my support, but with her not being in a mental state to do this, I’m really struggling with an almost feeling of rejection, where she isn’t available. It sounds selfish, but her current mood is very much coping herself and unfortunately we just don’t seem to be connecting or doing any of the things that make us a strong couple. She’s become very distant and in her own world, wanting her own space, which I understand but, it’s left me feeling really lonely, isolated and a bit rejected. Every time i suggest things for us to do, she’s not in the mood. It’s got to the point where I’m questioning if it’s just her mindset and feelings right now or whether we’ve genuinely lost everything that made us connect and work together. 
 

I’m in a dark place in my head, and I’m struggling to be the person I need to be to help the people I love. I’m really lost right now and worried about how to pick myself up. 

  • Sad 2
Posted
33 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

It’s getting bad again. My sciatica has been awful recently and it’s stopping me from doing every day tasks like going for walks, playing sport and even working some days. It’s left me feeling useless and a bit pathetic. My partner needs me atm for some pretty serious issues and I’m so mentally drained from my tablets (Which I think might be making my depression worse) I’m finding it really hard to support her and keep myself afloat. I’m exhausted and spending a lot of time in my head, I’m my harshest critic and when my heads like this is best myself up inside, a lot!!!  
 

feeling really quite lost and lonely. Not sleeping well and having horrid vivid dreams. It’s just all getting too much right now!! My partner is usually my rock and my support, but with her not being in a mental state to do this, I’m really struggling with an almost feeling of rejection, where she isn’t available. It sounds selfish, but her current mood is very much coping herself and unfortunately we just don’t seem to be connecting or doing any of the things that make us a strong couple. She’s become very distant and in her own world, wanting her own space, which I understand but, it’s left me feeling really lonely, isolated and a bit rejected. Every time i suggest things for us to do, she’s not in the mood. It’s got to the point where I’m questioning if it’s just her mindset and feelings right now or whether we’ve genuinely lost everything that made us connect and work together. 
 

I’m in a dark place in my head, and I’m struggling to be the person I need to be to help the people I love. I’m really lost right now and worried about how to pick myself up. 

Re the sciatica - it is often the piriformus that requires attention, seek out a good physio who can move you and it may well ease your pain.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Foxhateram said:

It’s getting bad again. My sciatica has been awful recently and it’s stopping me from doing every day tasks like going for walks, playing sport and even working some days. It’s left me feeling useless and a bit pathetic. My partner needs me atm for some pretty serious issues and I’m so mentally drained from my tablets (Which I think might be making my depression worse) I’m finding it really hard to support her and keep myself afloat. I’m exhausted and spending a lot of time in my head, I’m my harshest critic and when my heads like this is best myself up inside, a lot!!!  
 

feeling really quite lost and lonely. Not sleeping well and having horrid vivid dreams. It’s just all getting too much right now!! My partner is usually my rock and my support, but with her not being in a mental state to do this, I’m really struggling with an almost feeling of rejection, where she isn’t available. It sounds selfish, but her current mood is very much coping herself and unfortunately we just don’t seem to be connecting or doing any of the things that make us a strong couple. She’s become very distant and in her own world, wanting her own space, which I understand but, it’s left me feeling really lonely, isolated and a bit rejected. Every time i suggest things for us to do, she’s not in the mood. It’s got to the point where I’m questioning if it’s just her mindset and feelings right now or whether we’ve genuinely lost everything that made us connect and work together. 
 

I’m in a dark place in my head, and I’m struggling to be the person I need to be to help the people I love. I’m really lost right now and worried about how to pick myself up. 

I've had sciatica for years (I blame my job), but while it has never gone away, it's never been as bad as when I first had it. I think that maybe your body just learns to tune it out a little.

 

As for the vivid dreams and not sleeping well... Same here. I've even leapt out of my bed trying to escape situations and on one occasion cut my head on the corner of a bedside table. 

 

Reluctantly I sometimes sleep in a separate bedroom, which at least helps my wife and I get a decent sleep (her especially, cos I trash around and have randomly hit her :()

 

Pretty sure it's my tablets and needs to see the doc about that.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Posted
On 27/09/2026 at 22:24, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've had sciatica for years (I blame my job), but while it has never gone away, it's never been as bad as when I first had it. I think that maybe your body just learns to tune it out a little.

 

As for the vivid dreams and not sleeping well... Same here. I've even leapt out of my bed trying to escape situations and on one occasion cut my head on the corner of a bedside table. 

 

Reluctantly I sometimes sleep in a separate bedroom, which at least helps my wife and I get a decent sleep (her especially, cos I trash around and have randomly hit her :()

 

Pretty sure it's my tablets and needs to see the doc about that.

Thanks everyone, it really has been a tough few days!! Got Physio on Friday cross fingers that will help! 
 

Sleep isn’t improving, if anything it’s getting worse!! Really need to get back to the drs to review tablets. 
 

I’m just constantly in so much pain!! Getting on my nerves (no pun intended) 

  • Like 2
Posted
2 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Thanks everyone, it really has been a tough few days!! Got Physio on Friday cross fingers that will help! 
 

Sleep isn’t improving, if anything it’s getting worse!! Really need to get back to the drs to review tablets. 
 

I’m just constantly in so much pain!! Getting on my nerves (no pun intended) 

Mention the tablets, mention the pain and the lack of sleep. Drs are always keen for people to get their sleep, it does a lot of their job for them.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...