Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

4 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Has anybody owned a car with the steering wheel on the left? I'd be keen to know what it's like driving a foreign car in the UK

Very similar to driving one of our cars in Europe ....            But the other way round.     :thumbup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

The main problem if you have phoned your insurance company and told them regardless of whether you have claimed they will mark it on the policy, had this before the cnuts.

Yeah not too fussed about that it's more the getting a quote for renewal. I don't know what the cost of the damage is yet and thus I can't really ring around/shop online until I do surely? Time is ticking though, just hoping it's a quick fix so I'm sorted by October 2nd.

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

The main problem if you have phoned your insurance company and told them regardless of whether you have claimed they will mark it on the policy, had this before the cnuts.

Trying to get a Golf GTI to test drive, my work does a lease scheme and you can do a 3 day test drive. I have two pretty big dogs, any experiences with the boot size?

I've had a new shape golf, bluemotion on hire before. Pretty sure the boot would be the same and I thought it was alright for space tbh. Better than the focus I had.

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I've had a new shape golf, bluemotion on hire before. Pretty sure the boot would be the same and I thought it was alright for space tbh. Better than the focus I had.

Sorry i said GTI but meant GTD and thats a Bluemotion. What was it like other than the boot?

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Sorry i said GTI but meant GTD and thats a Bluemotion. What was it like other than the boot?

Alright mate, I fell in love with it and was gutted when they rang to say my clutch was fixed. Very responsive but really comfortable as well. I guess it depends what you are coming from, I'm only driving a mondeo and it's pretty basic, so it doesn't take much to feel upgraded.

Just now, Strokes said:

Alright mate, I fell in love with it and was gutted when they rang to say my clutch was fixed. Very responsive but really comfortable as well. I guess it depends what you are coming from, I'm only driving a mondeo and it's pretty basic, so it doesn't take much to feel upgraded.

I either drive an old golf (That i will replace) or a 16 plate Audi A6 so I'm used to going from basic to relative luxury. Fingers crossed they call me tomorrow and say they can get one to me.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2017 at 21:36, Col city fan said:

I've always loved my cars and bikes mate. The only car I've driven that's genuinely frightened me was one of these:

Light as a feather and it didn't half shift!

40FBDE5B-70DB-482D-8AB0-4388BD675A72-297-0000007D196EF17E.jpeg

Quickest car I’ve ever had was one of these, genuinely terrified me at times. No matter how much I pushed it, it wouldn’t let go of the road. Prices have rocketed recently. Same colour as this one but without the white wheels. 

5A5E409D-F7F9-46B8-870C-F8921BA68359.jpeg

On 21/09/2017 at 11:18, Worthington said:

Bit 'off topic' but, as I said earlier, have been looking for a temp/perm 2nd car.

Finally settled on a little 1.4 that's in ridiculously good condition for it's years. Has history and paperwork galore...even fuel receipts !!

All good ..... then started the insurance search... !

Got quoted £226 pa for us both to drive. Not bad, but that's nigh on 30 quid more than the Jag on the same terms..

Thought I'd try 'juggling', to get a few bob knocked off. Started by offering to fit a dashcam...quote rose to £268!

Next, got quoted for me only to drive, (£266)...then went the whole hog and asked for a TPFT quote...(£281) !!

Raising the voluntary excess DID reduce the premium, (by a startling £1.15 pa)...!!!

How do these cowboys calculate their premiums ??

At the prices you're being quoted, you're already around rock bottom, which is why it's going weird; the dashcam is presumably considered higher risk of someone breaking in to steal it than the likelihood of you crashing into anything.

Talking of fast cars, the quickest car I was ever a passenger in was this. The Lotus Carlton :thumbup:

Image result for lotus carlton

0-60 in 5 seconds and 177mph top speed and it could go up to 55mph in first gear! I've never been in a car with such quick acceleration. Proper shit your pants stuff...

• Like 1

On 24/09/2017 at 19:14, Houdini Logic said:

Has anybody owned a car with the steering wheel on the left? I'd be keen to know what it's like driving a foreign car in the UK

Why do you ask?  I had a lhd for somewhere between 6 months to a year and though the driving itself was never really an issue, you will find there are little quirks (like being on the correct side of the vehicle to push the button to get into a car park) that make having an rhd preferable in the long term.  I definitely wouldn't call having your steering wheel on the wrong side a game breaker though.

On 9/25/2017 at 20:09, Carl the Llama said:

Why do you ask?  I had a lhd for somewhere between 6 months to a year and though the driving itself was never really an issue, you will find there are little quirks (like being on the correct side of the vehicle to push the button to get into a car park) that make having an rhd preferable in the long term.  I definitely wouldn't call having your steering wheel on the wrong side a game breaker though.

Ah that's interesting - I'd never even considered things like taking a ticket. I have heard stories about it being difficult to see when overtaking/pulling out, did you ever have any issues with that?

I'm looking for a new (well, year oldish) car and I have 2 left hand drive cars on my shortlist of 3, maybe 4. So it could well be a reality soon enough...

I sometimes drive my car in Europe, and I generally find it ok. Pulling out to overtake on the motorway or a dual carriageway is fine, you usually know what's coming up behind you from your mirrors, and I usually have a quick glance over my shoulder anyway, even here. Pulling out on single carriageways can be a bit more tricky, I have to rely on a passenger to tell me if it's clear! Or just leave a much bigger gap, but that's not always that easy. Not sure I'd want to do it all the time mind, but you get used to it I guess. 

2 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

Ah that's interesting - I'd never even considered things like taking a ticket. I have heard stories about it being difficult to see when overtaking/pulling out, did you ever have any issues with that?

I'm looking for a new (well, year oldish) car and I have 2 left hand drive cars on my shortlist of 3, maybe 4. So it could well be a reality soon enough...

90% of the time it's not an issue.  Now that you mention overtaking though, being stuck behind a bus on a single carriageway and trying to see if you can pass it at a bus stop is a bit tricky.  I would certainly prioritise having the wheel on the correct side but if it will save you money or land you a nicer ride then don't be too concerned about it, besides I've always found lhd cars give you a more naturally comfortable cruising position in terms of how my body rests against the car and its apparatus if that makes any sense to you.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2017 at 19:49, Izzy Muzzett said:

Talking of fast cars, the quickest car I was ever a passenger in was this. The Lotus Carlton :thumbup:

Image result for lotus carlton

0-60 in 5 seconds and 177mph top speed and it could go up to 55mph in first gear! I've never been in a car with such quick acceleration. Proper shit your pants stuff...

Awesome machines, proper benchmark car, still fast today and so much presence. Last time I looked they weren't that desirable when you consider their rarity, I bet they'll become quite valuable though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

My car got written off. Was a pathetic bump as well, can't believe it.

Should have around £2K to spend on a new car hopefully. What should I get?

I'll be amazed if you can get a new car for around £2k tbh mate 

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Worded badly!

New car for me. Obvs it'd be second hand haha!

Depends what you want Oz.

Big car? Small car? Fast car? Safe car? Family car? Low mileage? Petrol? Diesel? 5 door? 3 door? Saloon? Estate? Hatchback?

So many factors to consider before anyone could advise you what to get for £2k I'd have thought...

I had a Suzuki Swift and I loved it so anything similar to that would be great! 

I just want something that's reliable, not too big and cheap to run. The Swift ticked all the boxes when I did my original research and did me no wrong.

In fairness I've found another Suzuki Swift (5 door instead of 3 door though) with loads less miles than my previous one which I'm eyeing up. Seems daft getting the same car but I did love it. 

15 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

I just want something that's reliable, not too big and cheap to run. The Swift ticked all the boxes when I did my original research and did me no wrong.

In fairness I've found another Suzuki Swift (5 door instead of 3 door though) with loads less miles than my previous one which I'm eyeing up. Seems daft getting the same car but I did love it. 

Doesn't seem daft to me at all.

My last 3 cars have all been the same make and model because I love that car and it ticks all the boxes for me.

Sometimes it's 'better the devil you know' and all that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Dacia Duster ...   incredible value for money and a nice bit of kit ...