Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

My first car was a knackered W reg Jag XJ6 which I bought from somebody's drunken father at his daughters 21st birthday when I was sixteen. I had no licence - I paid £150 - it had a dodgy MOT from St.Peters, knackered power steering, two tanks that I couldn't afford to fill up and when it pulled off the lights it was more like a Willy's Wheeler radio controlled car and rings of purple and blue smoke ensured anybody behind couldn't see a thing.

I sold it 5 months later for £177.50 to a bloke who collected and made up XJ6's out of parts - it had cost me that in fuel and polish but I wouldn't have changed a thing. 

13 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This...

Image result for peugeot 208 gti in white

I'm now seriously looking at these 208 GTi's.  The interior is a lot better than all of the above as well.  

Rapid with refinement apparently. Bit more room, bit more comfortable, gorgeous dash. And very quick.

This would still be my choice though:

I've always loved the sporty Fords.

E893FA0C-78CC-44B6-A040-C4A90181C69E-297-0000006D5FBBE34B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Rapid with refinement apparently. Bit more room, bit more comfortable, gorgeous dash. And very quick.

This would still be my choice though:

I've always loved the sporty Fords.

E893FA0C-78CC-44B6-A040-C4A90181C69E-297-0000006D5FBBE34B.jpeg

This one is better...

Image result for ford focus rs 2003

On the new Focus, is the handbrake still in front of the gear shift?  Total pain in the arse that when I sat in one.  Terrible design choice.

29 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Not my first car, but probably my third or fourth.

In this colour too (Diablo red)

I remember driving an ex bird down to Cornwall in it and enjoying every bloody minute (of the drive..not the girl..she was constantly fookin moaning)

00A176F6-953D-443B-8661-2096D0BEF39D-297-0000006E05312956.jpeg

She's a beauty.

Never had you down as a 'boy racer' though Col lol

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've always loved my cars and bikes mate. The only car I've driven that's genuinely frightened me was one of these:

Light as a feather and it didn't half shift!

40FBDE5B-70DB-482D-8AB0-4388BD675A72-297-0000007D196EF17E.jpeg

They were like shit off a shovel mate.

The quickest little motor I had was one of these. Would have been a good race against your GT turbo :thumbup:

Image result for peugeot 205 gti

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Since we're talking firsts I don't want to brag but this was my first car (except my one was silver with a weird mauve hint to it):

4044a-car-citroen-c3-1.jpg

(I did say I didn't want to brag)

A Modern day classic there mate :thumbup:

37 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

They were like shit off a shovel mate.

The quickest little motor I had was one of these. Would have been a good race against your GT turbo :thumbup:

Image result for peugeot 205 gti

Sold one 6 months back, bone stock. Unfortunately they're a bit slow compared to modern metal, ownership was a bit rose tinted. Cool car though, wife hated it. Sold it for what I paid in the end.

Here it is.

sytips.jpg

• Like 1

89 1.9, so phase 1.5, had the grey half leather seats. Got it with some leather Goodwoods so had to hunt high and low to get an original set. One of the only cars to have never let me down, ran like a Swiss watch. Drove the wife to the hospital in it for our first. 

80-90s hot hatches was a great era growing up. See how much novas are going for now

Edited by simFox

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I was led to believe, however, that these little things were about the quickest around at the time. They were rare though. I think the turbos kept blowing up!

maxresdefault (1).jpg

The top end on these was about 130 mph I think.

But 0-60 your Renault 5 was quicker mate :thumbup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Renault Clio RS 200

Ford Fiesta ST 200

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

Which one would you choose?

ST the new fiesta is probably more popular than the focus st especially now they have ruined it by making a d.d.d no can't say it. Version.

I've got a mk2 RS coming up to years old now. Less than 40k on the clock. Love it but the whole 3 door thing is starting to grate on me a little with kids.

Tempted to go back to the ST for the practicality. But it doesn't have quite the same appeal with that 4 pot engine.

And the new RS is way to expensive. If I was spending that cash I'd buy a audi or a bmw.

But for a little hot hatch id deffo pick the fiesta having owned a Cilo.

18 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Not my first car, but probably my third or fourth.

In this colour too (Diablo red)

I remember driving an ex bird down to Cornwall in it and enjoying every bloody minute (of the drive..not the girl..she was constantly fookin moaning)

00A176F6-953D-443B-8661-2096D0BEF39D-297-0000006E05312956.jpeg

Ah we're upping the anti now ! ...   i remember at that time having one of these (The 16v with a digital speedo) ...    like sh1t of a shovel ...

astra-gte-4.jpg

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Ah we're upping the anti now ! ...   i remember at that time having one of these (The 16v with a digital speedo) ...    like sh1t of a shovel ...

astra-gte-4.jpg

My mum had a Vauxhall Astra GTE back in the early 90's she loved it but then it got broke into at Aylestone swimming baths one night. Fortunately it had an immobiliser that stopped them from taking it. 

She had a VW corrado Vr6 after the GTE then moved onto a mk3 golf vr6. 

Hot hatches used to be so much better in the 90's.

8 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

My mum had a Vauxhall Astra GTE back in the early 90's she loved it but then it got broke into at Aylestone swimming baths one night. Fortunately it had an immobiliser that stopped them from taking it. 

She had a VW corrado Vr6 after the GTE then moved onto a mk3 golf vr6. 

Hot hatches used to be so much better in the 90's.

It was a good time for hot hatches ...    I had a some great battles with Peugeot GTI's ....   !.6 was good but the 1.9 was awesome ...  had a few other cars after that, then went for my first Skyline ......      oh I loved that car ......

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

astra-gte-4.jpg

The Astra GTE! Great car!

They did a Nova GTE as well I think?

I had one of these too: it had a peach of an engine, handled like Maradonna, but try as I might, I couldn't keep the bodywork in tip top condition.

F678ABFC-DCE4-4728-8785-F30810E65F03-298-000000104F2EC5AA.jpeg

• Like 2