Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Living in London, I don't drive a lot - mainly just shopping and short journeys - but when I do it's medium-long distance (to Devon and back, and back home to the Citeh). I've owned my VW Bora for the best part of a decade, and as a treat for myself, I'm looking at getting a new (or used) car in the new year. 

I like hot hatches, and quicker cars, but there's really no point in spending a fortune due the aforementioned lack of use...

So I was thinking a new(ish) Skoda Octavia VRS. Anyone had any experience with them? 

15 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Living in London, I don't drive a lot - mainly just shopping and short journeys - but when I do it's medium-long distance (to Devon and back, and back home to the Citeh). I've owned my VW Bora for the best part of a decade, and as a treat for myself, I'm looking at getting a new (or used) car in the new year. 

I like hot hatches, and quicker cars, but there's really no point in spending a fortune due the aforementioned lack of use...

So I was thinking a new(ish) Skoda Octavia VRS. Anyone had any experience with them? 

The good thing about the Skoda Octavia VRS is that they’ve got rear heated windows so you can keep your hands warm while pushing it lol

In all seriousness, my neighbor has got one and he loves it. I think they look really good and it’s goes like shit off a shovel apparently. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 08:19, Col city fan said:

Are they any good mate?

They look solid but so basic inside?

Yes the base level one is basic Col and only comes in White ! ..   but you are getting a new car for under £10,000.   The better one is called the Laureate and has plenty on it ...   you are getting a rugged 4x4 with plenty of extras, that looks good and has loads of room inside and excellent load carrying for an amazing price.  ALL the parts are Renault and Nissan (they actually have that stamped on them) and Autocar were very complimentary about them and gave them a 4 star rating.  The sales 'boy' at the showroom in Leicester was very helpful and I was impressed ...    really depends on what you want ...   and Dacia also make smaller family cars that are equally good price wise.

On 10/3/2017 at 17:56, Ozwin said:

My car got written off. Was a pathetic bump as well, can't believe it.

Should have around £2K to spend on a new car hopefully. What should I get?

£2k !! ...   I've got just the job for you. !!  Beautiful 2 tone white (white and algae green) Ford pick up ...  not too many owners and fairly low mileage ...   and a bloody MOT !!!    And ...   I'll knock a tenner of cus you're on FT.   And ignore all that bolox about diesels ...    urban myth ! ...   :)

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

On 21 September 2017 at 10:01, Rob1742 said:

Got a fantastic Evoque I am selling. 64 plate, full service history, five year service plan with only 10,500 miles on it. So basically another two years free servicing.

Not sure of the model off the top of my head, but top spec with a Television in it.

I am currently getting offers from garages etc, but will part with it privately for just £28,500.

One slightly scuffed alloy only. 

Just parted with my Range Rover Sport, that didn't bother me as it had done 50,000 miles, but this one feels virtually brand new still. The missus has just tootled around in it for 3 years.

Warranty until November. 

This will be the Evoque that you've been slagging off in the car thread about what an unreliable piece of crap it is and the endless problems you've had with it!

But now it's a fantastic motor with one careful lady driver? lol 

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

£2k !! ...   I've got just the job for you. !!  Beautiful 2 tone white (white and algae green) Ford pick up ...  not too many owners and fairly low mileage ...   and a bloody MOT !!!    And ...   I'll knock a tenner of cus you're on FT.   And ignore all that bolox about diesels ...    urban myth ! ...   :)

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

How much for your wife's sunglasses?

Hi All. Got a problem with my motor which is baffling me.

When driving from cold the temperature gauge climbs till it's at max. It's takes about 10 mins to do this. Stays at max for approx 2 minutes. After this it drops to the normal mid point. It's only at this point I get hot air from my heater. Not before. Then when in free traffic it seems fine. I've also noticed my coolant reservoir is always low. Way below the min mark. I can't see any leaks though.

Have I got air trapped in the system? Stuck thermostat? Sommat else?

Help appreciated. 

Ta.

6 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Hi All. Got a problem with my motor which is baffling me.

When driving from cold the temperature gauge climbs till it's at max. It's takes about 10 mins to do this. Stays at max for approx 2 minutes. After this it drops to the normal mid point. It's only at this point I get hot air from my heater. Not before. Then when in free traffic it seems fine. I've also noticed my coolant reservoir is always low. Way below the min mark. I can't see any leaks though.

Have I got air trapped in the system? Stuck thermostat? Sommat else?

Help appreciated. 

Ta.

What car is it?

It could be any number of things, sticking thermostat, air lock, head gasket, but I think the biggest clue is the fact that your water always looks low but there is no sign of a leak. 

Have you checked your oil level? Is it increasing and does it have water in it. Check oil filler cap, does it have creamy residue on it as this is a good sign of a knackered head gasket.

I'm a million miles away from being a mechanic but that does sound like the head gasket. I'd expect that to trigger an engine management/diagnostic light on the dashboard even on an older car, has this happened?

If it has, some cars (like my shitty Astra) will give you a fault code even without any diagnostic kit that you can then look up and then get a good idea of what's amiss.

If it is the head gasket, this is potentially expensive work so shop around. I was quoted £880 by a Peugeot dealer (who I will not identify but we will call Bobbins and Gay), which I managed to get a couple of hundred quid off but apparently still paid about twice as much as I should have, and that was years ago

1 hour ago, joachim1965 said:

It could be any number of things, sticking thermostat, air lock, head gasket, but I think the biggest clue is the fact that your water always looks low but there is no sign of a leak. 

Have you checked your oil level? Is it increasing and does it have water in it. Check oil filler cap, does it have creamy residue on it as this is a good sign of a knackered head gasket.

I do have a oil leak too, but that's coming from the driveshaft oil seal. I checked oil condition and it looks like oil. Not creamy. Tried to clear any potential air lock yesterday by topping up coolant resevoir and starting the car without the cap on. Had blowers on full too. No luck.  :(

21 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm a million miles away from being a mechanic but that does sound like the head gasket. I'd expect that to trigger an engine management/diagnostic light on the dashboard even on an older car, has this happened?

If it has, some cars (like my shitty Astra) will give you a fault code even without any diagnostic kit that you can then look up and then get a good idea of what's amiss.

If it is the head gasket, this is potentially expensive work so shop around. I was quoted £880 by a Peugeot dealer (who I will not identify but we will call Bobbins and Gay), which I managed to get a couple of hundred quid off but apparently still paid about twice as much as I should have, and that was years ago

I did have my engine management light come on too. I got a scanner. Code was related to catalyst efficiency being under threshold, but my car had passed emissions test at mot. I reckon my lambda sensors need cleaning.

7 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

I did have my engine management light come on too. I got a scanner. Code was related to catalyst efficiency being under threshold, but my car had passed emissions test at mot. I reckon my lambda sensors need cleaning.

My mate had that problem on his Corolla, but I've no idea what it means. Apparently it's because he absolutely thrashes it. A Corolla! Bless him

29 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Don't get a diesel ...

Amen to that. As someone who works in a garage I can testify that they're absolutely foul things. I dread to think about the damage they are doing to my health. Tony Blair and New Labour have a lot to answer for for encouraging people to buy diesel, but that's probably best saved for the politics thread.