Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

29 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Don’t know anyone who has had or got one. But they look very nice especially the AMG version. 

You'll never go wrong with Mercedes better than BMW & Audi imo.

Unless you are buying second hand vans, Mercedes vans are absolute rust buckets.

9 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Don’t know anyone who has had or got one. But they look very nice especially the AMG version. 

You'll never go wrong with Mercedes better than BMW & Audi imo.

Yeah they definitely look very nice. Still have a 120d coupe but looking for a 5 door. Currently looking at the merc a3 and golfs but think the a class is the best looking. 

On 15/10/2017 at 08:23, Unabomber said:

Yeah they definitely look very nice. Still have a 120d coupe but looking for a 5 door. Currently looking at the merc a3 and golfs but think the a class is the best looking. 

Test drove an A class when my wife was looking for a new car, don't rate it tbh. I think the A200 was a 1.5ltr turbo diesel and its so sluggish. I dont think they look any good unless you have the AMG trim, the handbrake is also a joke, you'll see if you test drive one. I'm not tall (about 5 10) and if you sit in the back you have to arch your neck. I'd personally go for the A3 I test drove one of those before I got my A4 and especially the interiors on Audi's trump a BMW and Merc IMO

On 10/9/2017 at 19:24, The Guvnor said:

Just interested to know if anyone else has had the E189 software 'fix' for their VW regarding emissions. I had mine done approx. 6 months ago and although I haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy or performance, the car now occasionally runs really lumpy when cold, when it does this and the car has reached it's normal working temp, when the engine is turned off the electric fan will run for about 4-5 mins, which would indicate overheating but the temp sensor is never higher than normal. 

I Have taken it into my local VW garage where I purchased it 3 years ago, spoke to the service Manager, he says it is not a 'common fault', but after the software update 'some cars can enter a 'regeneration mode' where the car generates a lot of heat to 'clean' the 'particulate filter' of soot. The problem is where this may be a once a blue moon pre update, post update frequent regeneration periods can potentially cause expensive repair costs.

Now the problem is they say they cannot carry out any remedial work as there is no fault/damage, no engine management light is displayed so their is nothing to diagnose, and they cannot offer a reversal of the re mapping.

I am clearly not happy about the whole sorry bloody episode this has created and it appears no offer of compensation will be forthcoming. Has anyone else been affected and have their cars similarly been affected? be interesting to know

My car  Diesel VW Passat R Line 110 psi  2009

Won't be any help to you but every time I've taken my Golf in for a service I've declined the emissions 'fix'. Purely because I loved how the car worked for the previous 2-3 years and didn't want to risk them screwing anything up and effectively being in the situation you're in now. If the fix is really that easy without affecting economy / performance then you have to wonder why they didn't actually apply this to all vehicles before they sold them.

Have you had any more luck since this post?

A neighbour has gone abroad to work until next April, and has given me the difficult job of occasionally taking out his 16 reg Merc CLS 220, "to keep the engine ticking over".

A pure pleasure to drive, almost impossible to hear the gear changes. What's on my mind when I'm driving it is the €85k valuation!

So I'm looking at buying a car from some guy in Coventry (I know!) and he's selling cars from home. He's got like 20 odd cars for sale and I was just wondering what protection you really have if anything goes wrong? I've noticed he's got two Auto Trader accounts so I'm just a bit worried he's a bit dodgy or something but hopefully I'm just being really cautious.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/west-midlands/west-midlands/coventry/n-cars-coventry-dpp-466689

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/west-midlands/west-midlands/coventry/a-h-cars-coventry-dpp-384835

22 hours ago, Ozwin said:

So I'm looking at buying a car from some guy in Coventry (I know!) and he's selling cars from home. He's got like 20 odd cars for sale and I was just wondering what protection you really have if anything goes wrong? I've noticed he's got two Auto Trader accounts so I'm just a bit worried he's a bit dodgy or something but hopefully I'm just being really cautious.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/west-midlands/west-midlands/coventry/n-cars-coventry-dpp-466689

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/services/car-dealers/uk/west-midlands/west-midlands/coventry/a-h-cars-coventry-dpp-384835

If he is selling as car trader then normally they will give you a standard 3 month warranty for Engine & gear box. If he’s selling as private seller then they don’t have to give an warranty. 

Looking at the cars he’s selling they are fairly cheap with high mileage. You can run a HPI check yourself for a few pounds, that will let you know the number of previous owners, ever been a write off, outstanding finance etc.

Go through the service history, read up on common faults that the car you want may have. Not much else you can do tbh go with your gut feeling when you meet the seller if you have a slight doubt about them don’t bother. 

Was talking to big Nige at a breakfast bar parked in a lay-by in the South Downs this morning about buying a clapped out Freelander, when up pipes Ali ..   the guy who owns the breakfast bar ..   saying that he has a clapped out freelander he wants to sell  :o  ....     and points to an elderly silver freelander at the side that tows his breakfast bar trailer about ...    he says it's a great car but just a little too thirsty for him ...    now ..  the question is ..  is God smiling on me and helping me out in my quest ...   OR ...   is Allah smiling on Ali and helping him shift his old nail to a god fearing Christian ! ...    wow ! ...   a modern day battleground for an epic confrontation between two worldwide religions !!!    

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Was talking to big Nige at a breakfast bar parked in a lay-by in the South Downs this morning about buying a clapped out Freelander, when up pipes Ali ..   the guy who owns the breakfast bar ..   saying that he has a clapped out freelander he wants to sell  :o  ....     and points to an elderly silver freelander at the side that tows his breakfast bar trailer about ...    he says it's a great car but just a little too thirsty for him ...    now ..  the question is ..  is God smiling on me and helping me out in my quest ...   OR ...   is Allah smiling on Ali and helping him shift his old nail to a god fearing Christian ! ...    wow ! ...   a modern day battleground for an epic confrontation between two worldwide religions !!!    

You have breakfast with Pearson?

I thought Skoda jokes were something of the past, but mine has been the butt of quite a few at work since, a couple of weeks ago, a seized brake caliper caused the handbrake to fail to hold the car fully on a gentle slope in the car park. It inched ever so slowly downhill until it came to rest against the bumper of the Merc belonging to one of the other subbies. No damage done and the fella with the Merc was very good about it - but almost every day he asks me when I am going to upgrade. The fella behind me, another subbie with a Merc, hasn't let it go though and comes up with Skoda jokes every day. On Thursday he actually came up with a new one - after I had been down to Sainsburys' at lunchtime to fill up with diesel he commented that he didn't know that Skodas were refillable - when empty you just buy another one!

7 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

I thought Skoda jokes were something of the past, but mine has been the butt of quite a few at work since, a couple of weeks ago, a seized brake caliper caused the handbrake to fail to hold the car fully on a gentle slope in the car park. It inched ever so slowly downhill until it came to rest against the bumper of the Merc belonging to one of the other subbies. No damage done and the fella with the Merc was very good about it - but almost every day he asks me when I am going to upgrade. The fella behind me, another subbie with a Merc, hasn't let it go though and comes up with Skoda jokes every day. On Thursday he actually came up with a new one - after I had been down to Sainsburys' at lunchtime to fill up with diesel he commented that he didn't know that Skodas were refillable - when empty you just buy another one!

Yeah Skoda jokes stopped being funny in about 1998.

• 2 weeks later...

The £100 million question: why is car tax evasion rocketing?

The government told us eliminating the paper tax disc would save the country £10 million a year: hurrah! What a pity latest stats from the Department for Transport reveal a potential revenue loss of £107 million per year caused by tax evasion. Drat!

You can read the rest of the article here:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/the-£100-million-question-why-is-car-tax-evasion-rocketing/ar-BBF3xa0

A lot of the 'evasion', apparently, is the result of innocent motorists who, because there is no paper disc any more, simply can't remember when their tax is due.

I don't think the DVLA's system is a paragon of efficiency. In the summer some lower form of pondlife broke into my car and stole the sound system, also the service book and my house keys. I checked their records online a few days later as I was pretty certain the tax was due soon, but wasn't quite sure whether I had bought the car and taxed it for the first time in July or August. The DVLA website reported that my tax was due in October. Pleased that the car tax wasn't one of the bills I had to pay that month I left the page. A few weeks later the replacement V5 arrived. As I had thought, it showed I bought the car in late July. A quick check on my bank account confirmed that I had last renewed the tax in July of the previous year. Because DVLA's records informed me that it was due in October I paid at the beginning of last month, having enjoyed three months free of tax!

2 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

The £100 million question: why is car tax evasion rocketing?

The government told us eliminating the paper tax disc would save the country £10 million a year: hurrah! What a pity latest stats from the Department for Transport reveal a potential revenue loss of £107 million per year caused by tax evasion. Drat!

You can read the rest of the article here:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/the-£100-million-question-why-is-car-tax-evasion-rocketing/ar-BBF3xa0

A lot of the 'evasion', apparently, is the result of innocent motorists who, because there is no paper disc any more, simply can't remember when their tax is due.

I don't think the DVLA's system is a paragon of efficiency. In the summer some lower form of pondlife broke into my car and stole the sound system, also the service book and my house keys. I checked their records online a few days later as I was pretty certain the tax was due soon, but wasn't quite sure whether I had bought the car and taxed it for the first time in July or August. The DVLA website reported that my tax was due in October. Pleased that the car tax wasn't one of the bills I had to pay that month I left the page. A few weeks later the replacement V5 arrived. As I had thought, it showed I bought the car in late July. A quick check on my bank account confirmed that I had last renewed the tax in July of the previous year. Because DVLA's records informed me that it was due in October I paid at the beginning of last month, having enjoyed three months free of tax!

You want to post this in the politics thread, DVLA just another government department that is not held to account

• Like 1