Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

9 hours ago, Dipak83 said:

Where do folk go to get their tyres changed? I'm looking to get all of mine replaced and there's and endless choice of please to go. I've decided on brand new over part worn but just not sure where to go. Looking online I think I'll be looking to spend around £200-250 for all four tyres.

Online then ring the local dealer they send you to and negotiate the same price, that way they get the cash instead of some knob with a website.

Edited by Jon the Hat

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You had me for 18 words then it all went wrong.  You got a link on the XK?

I'll find out if it's still available. If I didn't potentially need to be able to fit some car seats in and still actually be able to drive it, I'd have bought it !

Just noticed this thread so thought I'd weigh in. Coming up to 12 months with this A1 185 Black Edition as my current motor.

707efcea5896abbed76cc14116bfb84a.jpg

b6a2aaee8583b93ce7f582a85309c380.jpg

19954be87708dbf701876731f0a3b379.jpg

It's been lowered on HR springs and has spacers front and back (10 front, 20 back) . I usually fit coilovers on all my cars but couldn't be bothered with the expense and hassle this time. I don't normally have spacers either but they were needed as the wheels sit very tucked under the arches once it's lowered on these cars and look a bit strange. They sit nice and out in the arches now.

It has the Sliptronic paddle shift semi-auto gearbox which is great. I wouldn't want to go back to manual again unless I had to! Flicking up the paddles with your foot down accelerating onto the motorway is awesome.

It's only a 1.4 but has been turbocharged and supercharged. Also had it remapped from the baseline 185bhp to around 210bhp. Plus the gearbox re-tuned to change quicker and also earlier in the rev range for better torque.

Some criticise it as a bit of a hairdressers car, but I've always had quick sporty hatchback cars and this is by far the best one I've owned yet. And the best looking.

Funnily enough I was looking all over the country for the right model and colour with no luck, then one popped up at Hillmoren by the Flying Horse on the A5111 just up from where I work in Coalville. That was a stroke of luck! They have some expensive motors in there, and this was a part-ex I'm guessing. Maybe someone off here's previous car?

The lad that worked there and sold me it used to be a youth player at Leicester City he said. But injuries did him in. Can't remember his name though off the top of my head now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Just noticed this thread so thought I'd weigh in. Coming up to 12 months with this A1 185 Black Edition as my current motor.

707efcea5896abbed76cc14116bfb84a.jpg

b6a2aaee8583b93ce7f582a85309c380.jpg

19954be87708dbf701876731f0a3b379.jpg

It's been lowered on HR springs and has spacers front and back (10 front, 20 back) . I usually fit coilovers on all my cars but couldn't be bothered with the expense and hassle this time. I don't normally have spacers either but they were needed as the wheels sit very tucked under the arches once it's lowered on these cars and look a bit strange. They sit nice and out in the arches now.

It has the Sliptronic paddle shift semi-auto gearbox which is great. I wouldn't want to go back to manual again unless I had to! Flicking up the paddles with your foot down accelerating onto the motorway is awesome.

It's only a 1.4 but has been turbocharged and supercharged. Also had it remapped from the baseline 185bhp to around 210bhp. Plus the gearbox re-tuned to change quicker and also earlier in the rev range for better torque.

Some criticise it as a bit of a hairdressers car, but I've always had quick sporty hatchback cars and this is by far the best one I've owned yet. And the best looking.

Funnily enough I was looking all over the country for the right model and colour with no luck, then one popped up at Hillmoren by the Flying Horse on the A5111 just up from where I work in Coalville. That was a stroke of luck! They have some expensive motors in there, and this was a part-ex I'm guessing. Maybe someone off here's previous car?

The lad that worked there and sold me it used to be a youth player at Leicester City he said. But injuries did him in. Can't remember his name though off the top of my head now.

Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with your car if its the Black edition? :P

We are getting our new car in June. The SEAT Ateca in orange

Image result for seat ateca orange

Having this on the Mobility scheme for our son. Really nice to drive. Only a 1L engine but these new Petrol Engines drive really well. Looking forward to it

Cars are too complicated to buy now.

Years ago as an example, you had a 3,5,7 series BMW and then they brought out an X5. 

Now there are probably three times the amount of models and as a consumer, it's just to hard to work it all out what to buy. 

The missus needs a new car, but she dreads getting one as it's too confusing working out what is what etc. Also with too many models on the road, if she does spot one, it is difficult for her to find another one to show me so I know what it is. 

Its fine if if you are into cars, but if you are not, it's a nightmare. 

Its the same with all the manufacturers, they all have 3 or 4 times the models they used to have.

X5 I can understand, and probably a smaller one, but do they have 3 or 4 X ones? Crazy. 

I am am convinced they will all rationalise the ranges in the next ten years when they realise they are diluting what they have and confusing the consumer. 

We really would change our cars more frequently if we knew what to buy, and it wasn't so much of a chore.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

This is what I drive, and it's as shit as it looks.

Used_Vauxhall_Astra_1_3_Cdti_16v_Life_Es

Do you drive to the country and go for walks with your mates granny? lol

I dont drive anything fancy so i cant talk. I love cars but they are a huge waste of money (ya i said it).

My brother inlaw has a side business of putting hydraulics into lowriders. Seen some really funky cars.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Years ago as an example, you had a 3,5,7 series BMW and then they brought out an X5. 

Now there are probably three times the amount of models and as a consumer, it's just to hard to work it all out what to buy. 

The missus needs a new car, but she dreads getting one as it's too confusing working out what is what etc. Also with too many models on the road, if she does spot one, it is difficult for her to find another one to show me so I know what it is. 

Its the same with all the manufacturers, they all have 3 or 4 times the models they used to have.

X5 I can understand, and probably a smaller one, but do they have 3 or 4 X ones? Crazy. 

I am am convinced they will all rationalise the ranges in the next ten years when they realise they are diluting what they have and confusing the consumer. 

We really would change our cars more frequently if we knew what to buy, and it wasn't so much of a chore.

I know what you mean mate, Ferraris just don't cut it any more do they.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-9 at 08:27, Rob1742 said:

Agree with this, it's bonkers atm I think.

BMW do an X1, X3, X4, X5 and an X6. When you think it was initially just the X5 which was meant sort of meant to be a 4x4 (but let's face it no-one's ever bought one for that reason). The X3 is just a smaller version, the X6 is a slightlier sportier version (you can also now get an X5 M which is essentially the same thing) and I don't even know what the X1 or X4 are meant for.

These faux 4x4 that are basically a cross between a hatchback and an actual 4x4 confuse me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Agree with this, it's bonkers atm I think.

BMW do an X1, X3, X4, X5 and an X6. When you think it was initially just the X5 which was meant sort of meant to be a 4x4 (but let's face it no-one's ever bought one for that reason). The X3 is just a smaller version, the X6 is a slightlier sportier version (you can also now get an X5 M which is essentially the same thing) and I don't even know what the X1 or X4 are meant for.

These faux 4x4 that are basically a cross between a hatchback and an actual 4x4 confuse me.

Ages ago I helped my boss source a secondhand Audi A4, which wasn't easy when it became apparent how many different models were available. I cannot remember the exact number but I think I counted to either 130 or 140 before giving up. It may sound mad, but at the time they had 4 versions of the 2.0 diesel engine (I think they've only got 2 now), so add in all the other engines, trim levels and transmissions you can see how it gets complicated, and that's just for one car

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

If it stayed in my garage I'd charge £10 a week ...

Alright it just someone hit my car yesterday and he asked if I could get him a quote and he will pay for the damaged and a few friends  of mine have said about 90 quid but they also said get someone you know get them to write an 200 quid bill n keep rest but am to honest to do that il reather get cheapest price but good job then try to rip someone off

9 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Alright it just someone hit my car yesterday and he asked if I could get him a quote and he will pay for the damaged and a few friends  of mine have said about 90 quid but they also said get someone you know get them to write an 200 quid bill n keep rest but am to honest to do that il reather get cheapest price but good job then try to rip someone off

REO Motors ...  Near Asda in Oadby.   Excellent repairs at a very competitive price ...    fixed loads of mine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

Hang on a minute... someone hit your car and now you're running around getting quotes for them? Tell them they can get the quotes, give you £200 to save the hassle or you're going through his insurance.

• Like 4

I'm absolutely fvcking useless when it comes to cars/car parts etc.

I was at a mates house the other night and my brothers car wouldn't start. He knows his fair share about cars and said it was a dead battery. There was a group of 6 of us (all with separate cars). They all talk cars all the time and I don't have a clue, yet the only person who had a set of jump leads in their boot was me! I got bought them as a Christmas present like 2 years ago and I don't even know how to use them lol.

I just found it funny that they're all big on cars/car parts etc, yet the guy who couldn't care less about it all had the set of jump leads lol. I got the jump leads out and I didn't have a clue how to use them..luckily they did lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Hang on a minute... someone hit your car and now you're running around getting quotes for them? Tell them they can get the quotes, give you £200 to save the hassle or you're going through his insurance.

Yeah lol am to nice to be honest I don't know how to be ruff lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adster said:

I'm absolutely fvcking useless when it comes to cars/car parts etc.

I was at a mates house the other night and my brothers car wouldn't start. He knows his fair share about cars and said it was a dead battery. There was a group of 6 of us (all with separate cars). They all talk cars all the time and I don't have a clue, yet the only person who had a set of jump leads in their boot was me! I got bought them as a Christmas present like 2 years ago and I don't even know how to use them lol.

I just found it funny that they're all big on cars/car parts etc, yet the guy who couldn't care less about it all had the set of jump leads lol. I got the jump leads out and I didn't have a clue how to use them..luckily they did lol.

Sounds like me that lol don't have a clue one bit just nod like I know what they  talk about lol

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

REO Motors ...  Near Asda in Oadby.   Excellent repairs at a very competitive price ...    fixed loads of mine.

Thanks mate but ave moved from  Leicester living up North now but will keep em in mind when ever am in Leicester 

8 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

Does anyone know the best place to sell a car in or around Leicester?

I'd ideally like a bit more than webuyanycar.com but I can't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately. Ta

Have you tried Evans Halshaw? They offered me £600 more than what Webuyanycar.com offered. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

Does anyone know the best place to sell a car in or around Leicester?

I'd ideally like a bit more than webuyanycar.com but I can't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately. Ta

8 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Have you tried Evans Halshaw? They offered me £600 more than what Webuyanycar.com offered. 

I'd second this. Heard some horror stories about webuyanycar, they give you a price online then knock you down by 100s when you get there.

I sold a car to Evans halshaw and they gave me about £700 more than the webuyanycar price which I was pretty impressed with. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bought myself a 2014 Audi A4 Black Edition S line a couple of weeks ago. 

I had before a 62 plate BMW 3 series coupe, 39,000 miles full BMW service history bought directly from BMW in Derby. I was on the M6 going to Wales 3 weeks ago and all of a sudden got a warning light "oil pressure low" I'd only just had it serviced 6 weeks ago and it had been recalled by BMW for a brake sensor. So I turned round and headed for home. 

Took it to BMW on the Monday and after a bit of investigation and stripping it down (which costs £700) they discovered the timing chain had slipped smashed the guide rail and engine valve and this had stopped oil flowing into the engine. 

A day later they rang back and said that it will need a new engine and they will cover 100% of the costs. It had happened to my sister 6 weeks ago but she didn't have full service history and she had to pay £3500 contribution. 

Just a warning for anyone with a petrol 1,3,5 series BMW the N43 engine is a load of rubbish. 

My coolant in my Corsa (54 Plate, 1.2 SXI) has disappeared, no evidence of an external leak. Inside the oil lid has a little bit of yellow mixed in (not an awful lot). I fear its the gasket going or gone. However I did top up with coolant to drive work.

I have the car booked in garage for Wednesday and set for the worst as I understand if its the gasket, the repair will cost more than the car is worth.

Before I take it in on Weds, does anybody know if there is any hope it might not be as bad as I fear, or is it pretty much game over?

I'm not very car smart!