Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

10 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I was gonna go for an LPG.  

Thoughts?

There's some sort of mileage calculation here to see if you make savings ...   If you do then it has got an advantage ...   and it will run on petrol if you run out of gas.  The only reservation for me personally is the resale value ...   You might save a few bob on the running costs only to lose it when you sell.   I'm sticking with petrol for now till we all go hybrid or electric. 

While we're on the subject of fuel, does anyone pay extra for the fancy fuel types like Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate? There's a school of thought that suggests the improvement on MPG and engine wear means they pay for themselves, but I'm too tight to put it to the test.

Anyone have any experience of this?

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

While we're on the subject of fuel, does anyone pay extra for the fancy fuel types like Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate? There's a school of thought that suggests the improvement on MPG and engine wear means they pay for themselves, but I'm too tight to put it to the test.

I use them in my car. I reckon any gain in MPG is nullified by the extra cost, but my car seems to appreciate the smoother running.

1 minute ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm kinda the same.  I do between 50-70,000 a year so i'll be replacing it again in 2-3 years.

Fvck me that’s a massive amount of mileage each year.

I used to do about 40k per year and it nearly killed me :(

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've tried this. Not seen any benefit. I have however stopped filling up at supermarket petrol stations as many garages have told me the fuel is inferior. 

4 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm kinda the same.  I do between 50-70,000 a year so i'll be replacing it again in 2-3 years.

I’d avoid LPG with that kind of mileage personally. I’ve had lpg vans and ran at similar mileage and it’s just more to go wrong. Spark plugs every 25000, vaporisers every service, more pipes to corrode and trying to find a decent mechanic to work on it all, is just a pain.

On 07/10/2017 at 14:13, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fvck me that’s a massive amount of mileage each year.

I used to do about 40k per year and it nearly killed me :(

Its an absolute bastard.  Need to find a couple of large insurance deals so I dont have to do general broking and I can cut down.

Until then its kinda why I want the X5.  Everyone seems to say they're massively comfortable which is what I need more than anything.

• Like 1

Just interested to know if anyone else has had the E189 software 'fix' for their VW regarding emissions. I had mine done approx. 6 months ago and although I haven't noticed any difference in fuel economy or performance, the car now occasionally runs really lumpy when cold, when it does this and the car has reached it's normal working temp, when the engine is turned off the electric fan will run for about 4-5 mins, which would indicate overheating but the temp sensor is never higher than normal. 

I Have taken it into my local VW garage where I purchased it 3 years ago, spoke to the service Manager, he says it is not a 'common fault', but after the software update 'some cars can enter a 'regeneration mode' where the car generates a lot of heat to 'clean' the 'particulate filter' of soot. The problem is where this may be a once a blue moon pre update, post update frequent regeneration periods can potentially cause expensive repair costs.

Now the problem is they say they cannot carry out any remedial work as there is no fault/damage, no engine management light is displayed so their is nothing to diagnose, and they cannot offer a reversal of the re mapping.

I am clearly not happy about the whole sorry bloody episode this has created and it appears no offer of compensation will be forthcoming. Has anyone else been affected and have their cars similarly been affected? be interesting to know

My car  Diesel VW Passat R Line 110 psi  2009

Hate my car now, so many rattles, bangs and dents.

I want to change it but then I think what's the point in having a decent car with the state of roads and dickheads in car parks who don't give a fuck about anyone else's car.

Then i'm looking and can't find anything decent that I want with at a reasonable price and/or decent sized petrol engine.

Edited by Matt

On 13/10/2017 at 10:23, Ozwin said:

I've decided that buying cars is ****ing shit.

So much effort.

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

Then i'm looking and can't find anything decent that I want with at a reasonable price and/or decent sized petrol engine.

Maybe you two should go car shopping together and share the pain between you? :D