Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm not that sure of the differences. Is HP when you own the vehicle at the end of the term? PCP is where you don't, and they're basically expecting you to take out another one, yeah?

PCH, no idea

Yeah HP you’ll make your monthly payments then at the end of the term you will own the vehicle outright. 

Pcp you make monthly payments then at the end you make a final one off balloon payment and own the car or you give it them back or start a new one. 

Pch personal contract hire, you have a brand new car and your monthly payments are determined on how long you have the agreement over and your set mileage. The lower mileage you set the cheaper the payments are but then you are restricted to how many miles you do without exceeding it and incurring charges. You will never own or have the option of buying the car though. 

All depends on what you want really. They all have their pros & cons. I know pcp & pch you have to give the car back in the condition that you got it and you do have to maintain servicing with genuine parts which can be quite costly seen. Personally I prefer HP as at the end of the term you own the vehicle and you aren’t restricted to having to have any work done at a main dealer.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2018 at 18:55, Paddy. said:

Alright lads. I'm thinking of going full-on middle-age-boring-bastard and buying a Kia. Thinking a Sportage or the new Stonic.

Don't know much about Kias though. Anyone had one? Any good?

We have a sportage, they are alright mate. If you can get over the plastic overload in the front, everything else is ok. Not had any bother with it and the dealership is a pleasure to deal with. Unlike BMW, who’s make a kerching sound when they see you coming.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I remember my brother looking at a Kia and saying that to keep the warranty in tact you had to have it serviced by Kia, and it was so costly it wasn't worth it. But that was a few years ago, so might not be the case now. 

It’s not the case you can service elsewhere but a service is £109 for a small and £189 for a large. So it’s not bad at all.

4 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yeah HP you’ll make your monthly payments then at the end of the term you will own the vehicle outright. 

Pcp you make monthly payments then at the end you make a final one off balloon payment and own the car or you give it them back or start a new one. 

Pch personal contract hire, you have a brand new car and your monthly payments are determined on how long you have the agreement over and your set mileage. The lower mileage you set the cheaper the payments are but then you are restricted to how many miles you do without exceeding it and incurring charges. You will never own or have the option of buying the car though. 

All depends on what you want really. They all have their pros & cons. I know pcp & pch you have to give the car back in the condition that you got it and you do have to maintain servicing with genuine parts which can be quite costly seen. Personally I prefer HP as at the end of the term you own the vehicle and you aren’t restricted to having to have any work done at a main dealer.

I always just get a bank loan for the cars and then you have less restrictions. Maybe im a bit old fashioned.

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I always just get a bank loan for the cars and then you have less restrictions. Maybe im a bit old fashioned.

That's what I'm planning to do to. I can get a bank loan for a far better rate and I don't necessarily want to update my motor every 2 years. 

• Like 1

Right lads. I want to ship my Ford Focus 1.8 2008. What's the best way to go about it?

Part exchange prices are actually a con aren't they? Ideally I'd like to get a Swift cos there seems to be a few about on AutoTrader now (there wasn't when I crashed my car a few months ago) and surely my Focus is worth more than one of them!

17 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

You can't really go wrong with many car manufacturers these days, maybe with American and Italian being the exception. 

Always loved an Italian Car me and the better half have had Alfas for the last 6 years over 130k miles with one cam belt as part of a service and just routine services, you do need a mechanic who likes Italian cars though

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Right lads. I want to ship my Ford Focus 1.8 2008. What's the best way to go about it?

Part exchange prices are actually a con aren't they? Ideally I'd like to get a Swift cos there seems to be a few about on AutoTrader now (there wasn't when I crashed my car a few months ago) and surely my Focus is worth more than one of them!

Stick it on Gumtree. 

11 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone had a Mitsubishi? Looking at the ASX. Not the sexiest car in existence but looks decent. Only 1 owner review on Auto Trader though.

I know someone that's got one - they bought it secondhand mainly because it was a lot cheaper than a Qashqai.

I think 'not the sexiest car in existence' would sum up how they feel about it. They paid a fair price and it's not let them down - the only thing that put me off it was the boot seemed very small, which won't matter to everyone

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2018 at 10:01, RoboFox said:

I had the quote through this morning. Best part of £1000 to fix all of the problems with it. 

That's more than the value of the car... Just not worth it. Unsure what to do, trying to get them to do the bare minimum to get it released but in the event that they refuse, I'm tempted to just f**king cut my losses write the thing off. :unsure:

What a great birthday present. Thanks a bunch, life.

Ended up telling them to give me my car keys back and took it to another garage up the road. The bloke basically said "they're trying to rip you off," labour costs astronomical, half of the listed fails weren't fails for him and some of the jobs they'd quoted for weren't even necessary. Ended up paying £300 to get it through it's MOT as opposed to nearly a grand. 

Good job there's still some honest people around... Robbing crooks.

Started looking for a new car to replace it, feels like it's finally had it's day. Thinking about a 15/16 Audi TT S-Line or Black Edition, the 220ps version. 

Anyone owned a TT here?

Edited by RoboFox

I had to have some work done under warranty (details in another thread). The original garage quoted £1200, replacing 4 different components, which the warranty company declined. The warranty company told me that some garages like to load the quote (particularly to warranty companies)  just because, well, they can. The work was done at another garage for, I would guestimate, around £350 - £400. I had to pay £108 to the original garage for the problem diagnosis and a temporary fix, but that's another story.

On a different issue, I had a loan car whilst mine was repaired - an Astra 1.6 SRi. I didn't like it at all. Sure, it worked just fine and in terms of performance was probably fine for many people (though I did find it a little flat, lacking pull above 60mph) but I really didn't get on with the car. It was like it was pretending to be a big car. I felt surrounded by it rather than in it. It just felt wrong.

Point is, I guess, one of one man's meat. That is, as decent a car as the Astra arguably was, I just didn't click with it. Something quite undefinable in a way.

27 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Ended up telling them to give me my car keys back and took it to another garage up the road. The bloke basically said "they're trying to rip you off," labour costs astronomical, half of the listed fails weren't fails for him and some of the jobs they'd quoted for weren't even necessary. Ended up paying £300 to get it through it's MOT as opposed to nearly a grand. 

Started looking for a new car to replace it, feels like it's finally had it's day. Thinking about a 15/16 Audi TT S-Line or Black Edition, the 220ps version. 

Anyone owned a TT here?

I know a mate who had one. I'd steer clear. Girls cars. He got rid of it after 12 months. 

27 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone owned a TT here?

I know nothing about Audi TTs, beyond the only two people I know with relatively new ones both had them stolen by people breaking into their house to take the keys whilst they were there.

It's one of the reasons I have no interest in owning a car of that nature

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know nothing about Audi TTs, beyond the only two people I know with relatively new ones both had them stolen by people breaking into their house to take the keys whilst they were there.

It's one of the reasons I have no interest in owning a car of that nature

Well now I feel great about the prospect of getting one.

Vauxhall Nova, anyone?

31 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone owned a TT here?

I've had a TT (well I still have but I'm about to sell it as I've already replaced it) Mines a 2002 though, and I couldn't fault it, still drives amazingly well and hasn't cost me a penny outside the usual wear and tear. My boss has a newer one and she loves it.

As @The Bear says it's a bit of a girls car, so depends if that bothers you. Also mpg is shite. But if you're looking for a reliable car with a bit of power that it's great.

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Well now I feel great about the prospect of getting one.

Vauxhall Nova, anyone?

One lived in Manchester and the other in Birmingham, and I dare say there's a slightly higher risk of that sort of stuff happening round there.  Nobody would be able to insure them if they were all getting nicked.

Did you suggest the Nova because they were so easy to steal?

16 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone had a Mitsubishi? Looking at the ASX. Not the sexiest car in existence but looks decent. Only 1 owner review on Auto Trader though.

Actually the boot's 440 litres, which is pretty big. Maybe the size of the car made it look little or something.

You can still send me a free one, Mitsubishi

On 08/06/2018 at 11:44, The Bear said:

Shitter. 

What were the other major faults, out of interest? 

Sorry mate, didn't see this. 

I quote:

- Headlamp aim so that "kick up" is not visible on the screen (both headlamps faded)

- Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (nearside front)

- Drive shaft joint velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (Nearside front inner)

The other bloke I went to fixed the headlamps for a fraction of the price, and said the latter two were not an immediate concern (so I understand)

I hate to break it to you but those last two definitely need doing. 

The CV Boot is what is on the end of your driveshaft on each side of your front axle. If you let the grease dry up and dirt get inside then eventually it will damage the driveshaft and you will end up needing a new one on that side, which will cost a lot more. CV Boot covers are literally a thin rubber cap filled with grease, with a jubilee clip round it to keep it tight on. It's a crap design but they're only a few quid to buy, and will just cost you labour really. 

Same with your track rod end ball joint. It needs grease to be able to rotate and move without grinding and wearing out.

You can leave them both but you'll end up with a bigger bill down the road. Get them done as soon as you can afford it. No immediate rush but asap. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

Right lads, part exchange quotes. Do they vary massively from one place to another? How much can I realistically expect to be bummed for compared to selling it privately? For example other cars seem to sell for £2000ish on AutoTrader so what can I expect dealers to quote me because autotrader seems to think £1200 which seems mad to me. There’s convenience and then there’s s daylight robbery.

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Right lads, part exchange quotes. Do they vary massively from one place to another? How much can I realistically expect to be bummed for compared to selling it privately? For example other cars seem to sell for £2000ish on AutoTrader so what can I expect dealers to quote me because autotrader seems to think £1200 which seems mad to me. There’s convenience and then there’s s daylight robbery.

Is this a real question? If it is, surprised you haven’t had help with this from friends and family. If it is genuine and you are struggling I will answer it. 

You will need to split the two transactions up and work out what you are getting.

What is the price you are paying for your new car? Is it a good deal compared to other dealers / garages / traders. 

What are you being offered for your car? What are other garages offering you etc?

If you are being offered a high part exchange price, then you are likely to be over paying for your new car. As in, if you just went in to buy without part exchanging you will have got a good reduction, or you should have if you had done your homework. 

You have to split the two deals up to understand what you are getting.

I generally just buy the car I want to buy, get the best deal you can, make sure you have the best price, then right at the end, ask them what they offer for yours. Then go around the traders and see if you can get better.

Anyone getting excited about getting a great part ex price for their car, will have overpaid for the car they are buying.

Edited by Rob1742

On 18/06/2018 at 11:36, RoboFox said:

Anyone owned a TT here?

Might get more response on hairdressing forums regarding the TT.

2 hours ago, simFox said:

Might get more response on hairdressing forums regarding the TT.

I'm a member of most of them, and nobody ever talks about cars. Mention a "TT" and they'll think you're on about "Tint and Tousle"

On 18/06/2018 at 15:37, The Bear said:

I hate to break it to you but those last two definitely need doing. 

I ended up getting all the faults fixed at the second garage. I was just surprised by the disparity between the two quotes: £400 difference for the same work done seems crazy.

It's a 2002 car with 110,000 miles on the clock. There was no point in spending nearly a grand on it when it's worth about £500 with a 12 month MOT. It'll most likely be scrapped once I'm done with it. I just needed to get the f**king thing back on the road until I can be arsed to get around to sorting out a new car.

Edited by RoboFox