Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

5 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Anyone use the hand car washes?

Interesting times ahead for these businesses it would seem. 

A guy I know who operates one was telling me the government are ruining their businesses by making them pay minimum wages and taxes, which means they are no longer money machines.

His view is that with the government cracking down, many will close as they can’t make them work if they had to play by the rules.

Many are looking at automotic alternatives that will require less people, to ensure they can continue to trade. 

So so it appears changes are on the way. It will take a while as the operators will obviously try and resist, but it can’t carry on forever.

Although I like them, use them and they were a game changer compared to the old machines and jet washes, I suppose you have to feel sorry for the old style operators that invested in machinery, played by the rules and saw their investments decimated as the Eastern Europeans came over and took over the market by not playing by the rules.

Tbh I feel more sorry for the workers being paid illegally low wages, and for me blame goes to the government for allowing this to happen openly on our streets. 

Ive never used one - I’m more than happy to pay extra for a service that is provided by people earning a legal wage and paying the correct taxes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Tbh I feel more sorry for the workers being paid illegally low wages, and for me blame goes to the government for allowing this to happen openly on our streets. 

Ive never used one - I’m more than happy to pay extra for a service that is provided by people earning a legal wage and paying the correct taxes.

How do you know which ones are paid legally though? Some will be doing it right, others won’t, you just can’t tell

23 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Anyone use the hand car washes?

Interesting times ahead for these businesses it would seem. 

A guy I know who operates one was telling me the government are ruining their businesses by making them pay minimum wages and taxes, which means they are no longer money machines.

His view is that with the government cracking down, many will close as they can’t make them work if they had to play by the rules.

Many are looking at automotic alternatives that will require less people, to ensure they can continue to trade. 

So so it appears changes are on the way. It will take a while as the operators will obviously try and resist, but it can’t carry on forever.

Although I like them, use them and they were a game changer compared to the old machines and jet washes, I suppose you have to feel sorry for the old style operators that invested in machinery, played by the rules and saw their investments decimated as the Eastern Europeans came over and took over the market by not playing by the rules.

I always just wash my car myself. I can never trust the automatic ones not to scratch my car and I would just feel awkward sitting in my car someone washing it.

4 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I always just wash my car myself. I can never trust the automatic ones not to scratch my car and I would just feel awkward sitting in my car someone washing it.

Really? Why would you feel awkward?

It's the best fiver I spend every other week. Done an dusted in a matter of minutes compared to the hours it would take me :P

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

It's the best fiver I spend every other week. Done an dusted in a matter of minutes compared to the hours it would take me :P

Feel sorry for the bloke doing it lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I use one down Aylestone road and tend to pop into Aldi whilst it’s being done

10 quid inside and out and they make it look like a new car every time.

Tenner well spent imo.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 22:50, Rogstanley said:

the workers being paid illegally low wages, and for me blame goes to the government

Jeeeezus ! ...   politics has spread to the car thread !! ...    bugger off !! ...    :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I use one down Aylestone road and tend to pop into Aldi whilst it’s being done

10 quid inside and out and they make it look like a new car every time.

Tenner well spent imo.

I use the one behind the new pub in Aylestone then pop in for a pint whilst they are cleaning it lol 

• Haha 1

Got my new company car today. It's exactly the same as the old one but with an 18 on the number plate :S

But just discovered the sat nav can now be shown in google maps.......and get your head around this.......I can now drive down a road; whilst watching myself driving down the road!

1 hour ago, Great Boos Up said:

Got my new company car today. It's exactly the same as the old one but with an 18 on the number plate :S

But just discovered the sat nav can now be shown in google maps.......and get your head around this.......I can now drive down a road; whilst watching myself driving down the road!

Inception.

• Haha 1

Hand car wash = Scratch and Swirl

Those tosspot car washers ruined the paint on my car, still got swirls now.

Wouldn't take any car of mine down to a hand car wash. What a Colossal waste of money.

You just can't wash cars like they do and expect nice paintwork.

15 hours ago, simFox said:

Hand car wash = Scratch and Swirl

Those tosspot car washers ruined the paint on my car, still got swirls now.

Wouldn't take any car of mine down to a hand car wash. What a Colossal waste of money.

You just can't wash cars like they do and expect nice paintwork.

?

Never once had any problem with them.

In fact, I don’t know what you are talking about tbh. How can soft wash mitts and shampoo run your paintwork?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

?

In fact, I don’t know what you are talking about tbh. How can soft wash mitts and shampoo run your paintwork?

Runny paintwork ? .....I would wait for it to dry Col before you took it into the car wash ...    :D

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

?

Exactly. There's more chances of scratches and swirls if I do it myself lol

Leave it to the experts I say :thumbup:

If it's freezing outside then the missus takes hers to one on Abbey Lane, they do a good job for £5. If it's a nice day I'm happy to do it, find it quite therapeutic. I used to love doing my motorbikes myself and using a proper wax but these days the bike just seems so much hassle with all the fvcking nooks and pissing crannies, so I try to get it as clean as possible in under 10 minutes, quick squirt of WD40 on any bits that might need it, oil the chain and done. It always rains the day after I clean it and ends up looking like shit again so there's no point spending too long on it

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

?

They only use one mitt! That mitt has washed loads of other cars and probably been dropped on the floor numerous times.

The swirls in paintwork come from tiny bits of dirt/grit stuck in the mitt/cloth. If you clean loads of cars in the way they do, swirls and micro scratches are inevitable. They just run the gritty cloths into your paint and micro scratch. Shine a light source on your paint work!

They ruined my paintwork, it was a black car so when the sun hit it, it looked terrible.

Never again. You have been warned! If your not a petrol head, you probably don't know. Which you don't.

Edited by simFox

• 2 weeks later...

Love the new technology where you can log all your journeys via an app.

It becomes particulally useful when you take a look where your car is being driven etc when it’s in for a service and repair.

This will become more interesting the more journeys I see. 

See that a couple of you have Range rover Sport. I've been offered a Sport HSE but it has 220,000 km on the clock - is that a problem for this type of car or is mileage irrelevant? What sort of price should it be?

I'm thinking of getting a second hand Jag probably s type. Any owners or previous owners or people with views on jags in general?

49 minutes ago, FIF said:

I'm thinking of getting a second hand Jag probably s type. Any owners or previous owners or people with views on jags in general?

I have a '16 model F-Pace. 

Considering it's a £45k+ model it's not all that for the money.

Since I've had it it's needed new suspension bushes (factory fault from new), rear wiper washer tube reconnecting. 

The in-car system is ****ing crap at connecting to Bluetooth.

It's insanely comfortable for long journeys and pretty efficient for a large-ish SUV.

Also, considering it's size it's ****ing quick and fun to drive when you stick it in race mode. 

Would I buy one? Nah. Won't complain too much when it's free though! 

Also - I have to say, their service (within the 3 year warranty period) has been pretty exceptional and they make you feel welcome at the garage which has somewhat redeemed my opinion of them despite the issues with the car. 

Hope that helps.