Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 18/06/2018 at 16:33, Ozwin said:

Right lads, part exchange quotes. Do they vary massively from one place to another? How much can I realistically expect to be bummed for compared to selling it privately? For example other cars seem to sell for £2000ish on AutoTrader so what can I expect dealers to quote me because autotrader seems to think £1200 which seems mad to me. There’s convenience and then there’s s daylight robbery.

Yes they vary. 

What you have to remember is that your car will have a 'true' trade value. Unless the car you're trading in is something that the dealer wants to retail himself, he will just trade it out. The price any trader (middleman) will give him for the car will be pretty standard. Some dealers will under-allow for your PX to try and screw a bit extra from the deal. Some dealers will just offer you the price that their 'underwriter' has given them. Some dealers will over-allow, meaning they're making a gross loss on your PX, but it's sort of equivalent to giving you a discount on the car you're buying.

In conclusion, you just have to look at the deal as a whole. Selling privately is best financial option, but it's a massive frig about.

And don't go to WeBuyAnyCar or equivalent. They really will frig you over.

On 18/06/2018 at 11:36, RoboFox said:

Ended up telling them to give me my car keys back and took it to another garage up the road. The bloke basically said "they're trying to rip you off," labour costs astronomical, half of the listed fails weren't fails for him and some of the jobs they'd quoted for weren't even necessary. Ended up paying £300 to get it through it's MOT as opposed to nearly a grand. 

Good job there's still some honest people around... Robbing crooks.

Started looking for a new car to replace it, feels like it's finally had it's day. Thinking about a 15/16 Audi TT S-Line or Black Edition, the 220ps version. 

Anyone owned a TT here?

I had one, but years ago. Great car at the time.

Audi is excellent, so any car of theirs will be decent.

I see someone has said he knew of two owners, and both had them stolen. The thing is, if you think like that you will never have anything you really want. 

19 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Yes they vary. 

What you have to remember is that your car will have a 'true' trade value. Unless the car you're trading in is something that the dealer wants to retail himself, he will just trade it out. The price any trader (middleman) will give him for the car will be pretty standard. Some dealers will under-allow for your PX to try and screw a bit extra from the deal. Some dealers will just offer you the price that their 'underwriter' has given them. Some dealers will over-allow, meaning they're making a gross loss on your PX, but it's sort of equivalent to giving you a discount on the car you're buying.

In conclusion, you just have to look at the deal as a whole. Selling privately is best financial option, but it's a massive frig about.

And don't go to WeBuyAnyCar or equivalent. They really will frig you over.

Interestingly, I looked into px’ing my Vauxhall Insignia recently and ‘we buy’ were offering MORE than the dealer I was intending to get the replacement car from.

The thing to be careful of is the price We buy quote you, to sell your car to them, IS NOT what they’ll actually give you, unless it’s in absolutely pristine condition.

Any little dents, scratches etc they’ll be looking to knock hundreds off.

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

I had one, but years ago. Great car at the time.

Audi is excellent, so any car of theirs will be decent.

I see someone has said he knew of two owners, and both had them stolen. The thing is, if you think like that you will never have anything you really want. 

Exactly mate. I'm 30, I have a decent job and no family commitments. Feels like I should have a bit of fun before I have to trade it in for a 2.4 children people carrier with the highest Euro NCAP rating. The 2013-15 TT is regularly touted as one of, if not the best used coupés. 

I agree with what you say. The fact it might be a target for tea-leaves doesn't deter me. Besides, I live in London on a fairly busy residential street and there will always be far nicer cars a stones throw away.

• Like 1

Well I'm after a car, and I fancy a small 4x4 so I did a load of research and decided a Honda CR-V or a Nissan X-Trail would be the way to go as a decent used buy

Spent the last week trawling through Autotrader and eBay making a shortlist of decent looking used buys and had the day off work to go look at a few with my dad (who spent 20 years as a mechanic in his old profession, and is great at spotting things I wouldn't pick up on). Went to go see one in Newark, looked mint on the outside and inside and the engine ran fine. Looked under the bonnet before we went for a test drive and the chassis was covered in rust. And I don't mean a bit of surface corrosion, but full-on rust that was just eating away at the chassis. Dad was astounded that a modern car (particularly a Japanese one) could be that badly prone, and that it had a valid MOT. Binned that off and went to look at 3 more around Birmingham, low and behold 2 of the other ones were rotting underneath, and the other one looked ok but had a bit of bodywork damage and no service history so I had no interest in that. Fvcks sake, complete waste of a day

So in other people's opinion, what's a good used petrol 4x4 that's going to be low maintenance? I've already ruled out RAV4 (too small inside), and Grand Vitara (supposedly a horrible drive, and underpowered). What are Kia Sportages like to own, or Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X-Trail? I'm not that bothered about fuel consumption as I will only do 3,000-4,000 miles per year, and don't mind paying up to the £315 tax band (I draw the line at the £540 band, that takes the absolute piss)

Anyone on here had the pleasure of sharing the public road with a 1920s racing car?

I was on my way home this evening when something like this turned left towards the Hampshire downs in Kingsclere, exactly the way I was going.

So I followed it. Once out of the village it opened out and set off up Cottington Hill.

I opened out a bit, interested to follow and get a better look.

It looked very similar to the beast below, except it had a boat-shaped body like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and rounded mudguards like a 1960s motorbike.

Despite 80+ years in automotive development between the two I could only keep pace with it until the last few hundred yards of the hill, when the hill got steeper and, probably, the lighter weight of my more modern vehicle gave me an advantage and I was finally able to catch up. The Nissan Micra, immediately behind in the village, wasn't even in sight in my rear view mirror.

Once at the top of the hill, the beast was easily capable of 70-75 on a relatively straight but undulating B-road.

Wow! But it is probably worth as much as my house and burns as much fuel as a 40 ton HGV!

29-bentley-4-5ltr.jpg

On 21/06/2018 at 19:04, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Well I'm after a car, and I fancy a small 4x4 so I did a load of research and decided a Honda CR-V or a Nissan X-Trail would be the way to go as a decent used buy

Spent the last week trawling through Autotrader and eBay making a shortlist of decent looking used buys and had the day off work to go look at a few with my dad (who spent 20 years as a mechanic in his old profession, and is great at spotting things I wouldn't pick up on). Went to go see one in Newark, looked mint on the outside and inside and the engine ran fine. Looked under the bonnet before we went for a test drive and the chassis was covered in rust. And I don't mean a bit of surface corrosion, but full-on rust that was just eating away at the chassis. Dad was astounded that a modern car (particularly a Japanese one) could be that badly prone, and that it had a valid MOT. Binned that off and went to look at 3 more around Birmingham, low and behold 2 of the other ones were rotting underneath, and the other one looked ok but had a bit of bodywork damage and no service history so I had no interest in that. Fvcks sake, complete waste of a day

So in other people's opinion, what's a good used petrol 4x4 that's going to be low maintenance? I've already ruled out RAV4 (too small inside), and Grand Vitara (supposedly a horrible drive, and underpowered). What are Kia Sportages like to own, or Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X-Trail? I'm not that bothered about fuel consumption as I will only do 3,000-4,000 miles per year, and don't mind paying up to the £315 tax band (I draw the line at the £540 band, that takes the absolute piss)

They're all like that these days since manufacturers moved to water based paints, underbody subframe paint is pathetic on a modern car.  (suprised your dad being a mechanic of 20yrs didn't know)

20 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

Anyone on here had the pleasure of sharing the public road with a 1920s racing car?

I was on my way home this evening when something like this turned left towards the Hampshire downs in Kingsclere, exactly the way I was going.

So I followed it. Once out of the village it opened out and set off up Cottington Hill.

I opened out a bit, interested to follow and get a better look.

It looked very similar to the beast below, except it had a boat-shaped body like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and rounded mudguards like a 1960s motorbike.

Despite 80+ years in automotive development between the two I could only keep pace with it until the last few hundred yards of the hill, when the hill got steeper and, probably, the lighter weight of my more modern vehicle gave me an advantage and I was finally able to catch up. The Nissan Micra, immediately behind in the village, wasn't even in sight in my rear view mirror.

Once at the top of the hill, the beast was easily capable of 70-75 on a relatively straight but undulating B-road.

Wow! But it is probably worth as much as my house and burns as much fuel as a 40 ton HGV!

29-bentley-4-5ltr.jpg

Saw an Alfa Romeo 6C at the Packe Arms, outside Loughborough, was a beast of a car and went well.

Quite pricey if you want to buy one though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302739492510

Bloody Land Rover problems again! Clutch pedal went down and wouldn't return. Managed to nurse it to the car park at work. Now clutch pedal has no resistance and sticks down when you press it. Can't get into gear. 

Doesn't appear to be any fluid leaking from the master cylinder.

RAC on the way!

On 22/06/2018 at 19:47, simFox said:

Saw an Alfa Romeo 6C at the Packe Arms, outside Loughborough, was a beast of a car and went well.

Quite pricey if you want to buy one though.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302739492510

Free collection in person though

I've narrowed down the list of cars to replace my wife's and deemed acceptable to her to two, possibly three.

Skoda Karoq, Seat Ateca or current Honda Civic. Anybody own any of these and have any opinions?

She quite fancied a Qashqai and although you can get one cheaper than the other 2 crossovers listed above, the user reviews I've seen have been pretty damning about quality and reliability issues so I don't think we'll be going down that road

Anyone got any experience of the Autoglym type products pushed by dealers ? 

I’ve been quoted £474 so it’s a resounding no for me at that price. 

I know you can get similar at a fraction of the cost elsewhere but still not sure it’s worth it. 

38 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've narrowed down the list of cars to replace my wife's and deemed acceptable to her to two, possibly three.

Skoda Karoq, Seat Ateca or current Honda Civic. Anybody own any of these and have any opinions?

She quite fancied a Qashqai and although you can get one cheaper than the other 2 crossovers listed above, the user reviews I've seen have been pretty damning about quality and reliability issues so I don't think we'll be going down that road

Skoda and Seat subsidiaries of the Volkswagen and Audi group , my VW Passat had the Emissions 'Fix' and I wouldn't  have another car associated with them if it was bought for me, just look at the facebook emissions group and see the sorts of problems and costs for repairs they have had, this  has affected thousands of owners..

14 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Of what ? 

A proper detail with good products. G techniqe, carbon collective..

There are some good products out there, ceramic coatings etc that will last year's if properly applied by a trained tech.

56 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Skoda and Seat subsidiaries of the Volkswagen and Audi group , my VW Passat had the Emissions 'Fix' and I wouldn't  have another car associated with them if it was bought for me, just look at the facebook emissions group and see the sorts of problems and costs for repairs they have had, this  has affected thousands of owners..

I'm sure I'd feel the same in that situation. I don't expect a lot from the motor industry but I was still shocked at all that.

Wouldn't buy a diesel anyway - the wife doesn't do the sort of driving to make it pay, and I don't expect there will be many favours given to diesel drivers in terms of tax etc in the next few years.  The 1.0 litre petrol is the most likely candidate - I'd prefer the pokier 1.4 (SEAT) or 1.5 (Skoda) but the budget will be tight and I doubt we can stretch to them

Ordered the new XC40 Volvo in March/April,delivery May for the wife’s new car.

pushed back to October and then maybe February for her model.

won so many awards they can’t cope with demand.

Got 1 less to worry about now.Deposit back immediately ( they were quite pleased tbh)

picked up Range Rover Evoque within a week of deposit.