Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 17/05/2018 at 13:41, Rob1742 said:

Love the new technology where you can log all your journeys via an app.

It becomes particulally useful when you take a look where your car is being driven etc when it’s in for a service and repair.

This will become more interesting the more journeys I see. 

What app is that?

I've recently fitted some quite stealthy front and rear dashcams in my car. It was interesting to be able to download the footage of the garage putting the car on and off the ramps and seeing their short test drive after the work. They definitely didn't realise they were there. 

Edited by The Bear

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I've recently fitted some quite stealthy front and rear dashcams in my car. It was interesting to be able to download the footage of the garage putting the car on and off the ramps and seeing their short test drive after the work. They definitely didn't realise they were there. 

Did they rag it?

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Nah he gave it a little squirt, but nothing exciting. He just went half a mile up the road to another car place for a chat about buying a car off them (the dashcam has a mic as well ;)

Luckily he couldn't sell it eh! They usually notice and disconnect them. Which one have you got, keep meaning to get one.

On 18/05/2018 at 16:59, simFox said:

What app is that?

It’s a Land Rover one. I know they do it for Mercedes too.

So far my car has been on some weird and wonderful journey whilst it has been in for repair, but also it has been unlocked all weekend too. 

On 04/05/2018 at 20:23, Bellend Sebastian said:

Any recommendations for a car wash my side of town? Western Park/Hinckley Road/Glenfield Road sort of area?

There used to be one on King Richard's Road that was fantastic but long since closed down

There is one on Welford Road, but a few months ago there was a stabbing there where someone ended up in a critical condition. I have swerved that place ever since. 

46 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

There is one on Welford Road, but a few months ago there was a stabbing there where someone ended up in a critical condition. I have swerved that place ever since. 

Oh lord, I remember that.

I narrowed it down to two near me, and the one I didn't use was raided by immigration officials a couple of days later.

It's a murky world, for sure. I know people that won't use them, the argument being that you can unwittingly be supporting what's basically slavery. That nagging doubt led me to tip them a few quid, but whose pockets that went into, goodness knows

On 18/05/2018 at 17:10, The Bear said:

Hope you're not one of these people that has a dashcam but is awful at driving ;)

On 18/05/2018 at 10:16, FIF said:

See that a couple of you have Range rover Sport. I've been offered a Sport HSE but it has 220,000 km on the clock - is that a problem for this type of car or is mileage irrelevant? What sort of price should it be?

I'm thinking of getting a second hand Jag probably s type. Any owners or previous owners or people with views on jags in general?

Personally wouldn’t go for one with that on the clock. They are a massive money pit. 

Look great, and great to drive, though :D

if you are handy and can do your own maintenance/repairs, you’ll be fine. 

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Insurance renewal through this morning. Cost £357 last year, want £564 this year. 

Having a laugh or what. :blink:

Insurance is becoming a joke. I've been on a multicar past few years. Was very good, having a fast car and being relatively young. This year, up £100 quid for my car, no points, no claims etc. Looked on compare the market, found a direct single policy for £100 less than my last year's renewal!

Got another broken spring this week, to follow the one which broke last year. Before next year I hadn't had a problem with broken suspension since I had a Cortina in the 80s. Hillside Garage in Great Glen, where I will be getting it fixed, say in the last few years work on damaged suspension and wheels has escalated enormously. I blame the state of the roads, as some councils actually admit that the amount they have to spend on road maintenance is not even enough to keep the roads in their current bad state, and whatever they do the roads will continue to get worse and worse. Think I would prefer to pay a bit extra in council tax and have fewer repair bills.

On 02/06/2018 at 09:35, The Fox Covert said:

Got another broken spring this week, to follow the one which broke last year. Before next year I hadn't had a problem with broken suspension since I had a Cortina in the 80s. Hillside Garage in Great Glen, where I will be getting it fixed, say in the last few years work on damaged suspension and wheels has escalated enormously. I blame the state of the roads, as some councils actually admit that the amount they have to spend on road maintenance is not even enough to keep the roads in their current bad state, and whatever they do the roads will continue to get worse and worse. Think I would prefer to pay a bit extra in council tax and have fewer repair bills.

Someone who I know says the half speed humps are designed to cause wear to your suspension, so then your pay tax on it to get fixed.

On 25/05/2018 at 08:35, Innovindil said:

Insurance renewal through this morning. Cost £357 last year, want £564 this year. 

Having a laugh or what. :blink:

Mine doubled from £500 odd to over a grand when I got my renewal back in April with Hastings. Called to discuss it and they said they'd look into it, so told them to forget it as it was too much hassle. Moved to the AA and it's now £340.

Anyone had a Hybrid? Was debating picking up a second hand one but I'm concerned I'm gonna be lumbered with a huge bill to replace the battery soon after, and pretty much cancelling out any monetary benefit I might get. How long do the batteries last and how much are they to replace?

Edited by Facecloth

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Anyone had a Hybrid? Was debating picking up a second hand one but I'm concerned I'm gonna be lumbered with a huge bull to replace the battery soon after, and pretty much cancelling out any monetary benefit I might get. How long do the batteries last and how much are they to replace?

Not sure a huge bull is a good replacement for a battery mate :D

Image result for bull

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He can pull the car though surely?

No problem. Even a Hybrid :D

Image result for bull pulling a car

On a serious note, I've never had a Hybrid but my neighbors got a Hyundai IONIQ and he loves it. I think the average lifespan for a hybrid battery is about 8 years from what he told me but some manufacturers like Toyota give a 10 year guarantee I think.