Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

I have a classic mini. Stunning, it is unmarked, done 4000 miles from new, still smells brand new and only goes out about twice a year.

i got it about a year or so after the last one came off the production line, and my views then versus now has changed dramatically.

I thought it was unforgivable that such an iconic car could be killed off. They were stunning to look at, they changed the motoring world and to lose it from production was just a terrible move.

Hence why I got one, kept it so nice and hardly ever drive it.

i took it for its service the other day and it got me thinking differently.

It never moved forward from the day it was born. They did various tweeks, but if anything it took it backwards rather than forwards ( clubman, limited editions etc)

You close the door once you get it and you know that if you were ever in an accident you have no chance. Flimsy doors, no crumple zones, you basically have no chance.

It is uncomfortable, nobody can get in the back,the boot is tiny and with regards to mod cons it had a radio.

So my view has changed. I am still fond of it, and it’s nice owning a part of history, but apart from its looks and go-kart feel it is an awful vehicle that never moved on from 1959.

I was dead against the new mini coming out years ago, but looking at it now, a German company has done what Rover should have done years ago. They took that brand where it should have been taken.

Its back in the garage, it looks lovely, but my word it’s a terrible car that should have disappeared in the 80’s. Only hung on by it’s teeth because of what it did for motoring back in 1959.

My dad had one of the "Jet Black" series of Minis which were road versions of the rally cars I think. Black inside and outside with red trim. It was gorgeous and was the car my dad taught me to drive in on an old airfield. 

Edited by The Bear

3 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I have a classic mini. Stunning, it is unmarked, done 4000 miles from new, still smells brand new and only goes out about twice a year.

i got it about a year or so after the last one came off the production line, and my views then versus now has changed dramatically.

I thought it was unforgivable that such an iconic car could be killed off. They were stunning to look at, they changed the motoring world and to lose it from production was just a terrible move.

Hence why I got one, kept it so nice and hardly ever drive it.

i took it for its service the other day and it got me thinking differently.

It never moved forward from the day it was born. They did various tweeks, but if anything it took it backwards rather than forwards ( clubman, limited editions etc)

You close the door once you get it and you know that if you were ever in an accident you have no chance. Flimsy doors, no crumple zones, you basically have no chance.

It is uncomfortable, nobody can get in the back,the boot is tiny and with regards to mod cons it had a radio.

So my view has changed. I am still fond of it, and it’s nice owning a part of history, but apart from its looks and go-kart feel it is an awful vehicle that never moved on from 1959.

I was dead against the new mini coming out years ago, but looking at it now, a German company has done what Rover should have done years ago. They took that brand where it should have been taken.

Its back in the garage, it looks lovely, but my word it’s a terrible car that should have disappeared in the 80’s. Only hung on by it’s teeth because of what it did for motoring back in 1959.

Instead, they inflicted the Mini Metro on us, which was about as dangerous

On 21/06/2018 at 19:04, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Well I'm after a car, and I fancy a small 4x4 so I did a load of research and decided a Honda CR-V or a Nissan X-Trail would be the way to go as a decent used buy

Spent the last week trawling through Autotrader and eBay making a shortlist of decent looking used buys and had the day off work to go look at a few with my dad (who spent 20 years as a mechanic in his old profession, and is great at spotting things I wouldn't pick up on). Went to go see one in Newark, looked mint on the outside and inside and the engine ran fine. Looked under the bonnet before we went for a test drive and the chassis was covered in rust. And I don't mean a bit of surface corrosion, but full-on rust that was just eating away at the chassis. Dad was astounded that a modern car (particularly a Japanese one) could be that badly prone, and that it had a valid MOT. Binned that off and went to look at 3 more around Birmingham, low and behold 2 of the other ones were rotting underneath, and the other one looked ok but had a bit of bodywork damage and no service history so I had no interest in that. Fvcks sake, complete waste of a day

So in other people's opinion, what's a good used petrol 4x4 that's going to be low maintenance? I've already ruled out RAV4 (too small inside), and Grand Vitara (supposedly a horrible drive, and underpowered). What are Kia Sportages like to own, or Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X-Trail? I'm not that bothered about fuel consumption as I will only do 3,000-4,000 miles per year, and don't mind paying up to the £315 tax band (I draw the line at the £540 band, that takes the absolute piss)

Two things.

1) I have a Kia Sportage and it's bloody great. If you're buying a used one, be aware that they have a seven year warranty from new, but that this will only be valid if the service history has been kept up - something to check.

2) About the rust thing: I once had a Saab 9-3. It was absolutely beautiful and I loved it, but I had to get rid because basically everything on it fell apart at the same time and it cost me a fortune. Anyway, that car had more rust on than you would expect from a Saab. Looking at the car's history, it turns out it spent the first four years of its life in Aberdeen - a city that is full of salty sea mist. My conclusion is that this didn't do the car any good. Also, cars that are kept in a garage can be prone to rusting more than ones that aren't. This is because the salt from the roads basically dries on and attacks the metal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Two things.

1) I have a Kia Sportage and it's bloody great. If you're buying a used one, be aware that they have a seven year warranty from new, but that this will only be valid if the service history has been kept up - something to check.

2) About the rust thing: I once had a Saab 9-3. It was absolutely beautiful and I loved it, but I had to get rid because basically everything on it fell apart at the same time and it cost me a fortune. Anyway, that car had more rust on than you would expect from a Saab. Looking at the car's history, it turns out it spent the first four years of its life in Aberdeen - a city that is full of salty sea mist. My conclusion is that this didn't do the car any good. Also, cars that are kept in a garage can be prone to rusting more than ones that aren't. This is because the salt from the roads basically dries on and attacks the metal.

Cheers yeah I had thought it might be rusty if it had salty air on it all its life - should have seen the state of it though, must have been a dodgy MOT tester because that would have been majorly compromised in the event of a collision

Yeah the Sportages look good for the money, will have to see what's available

9 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers yeah I had thought it might be rusty if it had salty air on it all its life - should have seen the state of it though, must have been a dodgy MOT tester because that would have been majorly compromised in the event of a collision

Yeah the Sportages look good for the money, will have to see what's available

What's your budget and do you want an actual 4x4 or just something that looks like one?

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's your budget and do you want an actual 4x4 or just something that looks like one?

Well I don't really want to take out finance unless I have to, looking at about £4,000*. Don't mind what age as long as it's not really high mileage

Doesn't have to be 4x4 but I like being sat high (and don't want a people carrier), and would use it for lugging a drumkit around or taking the dog on trips and don't want to be faffing around putting the back seats down. Would consider an estate. Got to be petrol!

*yes I'm aware that I'm probably going to have to settle for an absolute snotter on that budget

32 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Well I don't really want to take out finance unless I have to, looking at about £4,000*. Don't mind what age as long as it's not really high mileage

Doesn't have to be 4x4 but I like being sat high (and don't want a people carrier), and would use it for lugging a drumkit around or taking the dog on trips and don't want to be faffing around putting the back seats down. Would consider an estate. Got to be petrol!

*yes I'm aware that I'm probably going to have to settle for an absolute snotter on that budget

What about a Cmax?

An upright, if not especially high driving position, and more an estate car than MPV. Move the seats around and it's like a blooming van, so it is.

My Dad had one like this, except a diesel (yuck) and was very happy with it:

Check this out

Looks great, apart from, errm, no service history

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

“But I like being sat high”

Just buy a normal saloon and sit on a cushion

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I think I have the compromise for you:

421.jpg?width=720

28 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

“But I like being sat high”

Just buy a normal saloon and sit on a cushion

Hilarious. 

Nah I'm quite often a passenger in my mate's van and I like the visibility being sat above traffic. Plus I've driven small hatchbacks and other road users just treat you like shit.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What about a Cmax?

An upright, if not especially high driving position, and more an estate car than MPV. Move the seats around and it's like a blooming van, so it is.

My Dad had one like this, except a diesel (yuck) and was very happy with it:

Check this out

Looks great, apart from, errm, no service history

It's one of the lesser terrible looking ones but still don't really fancy one, plus my next door neighbour drives one and he's well into his 80's, puts me off a bit haha

9 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Hilarious. 

Nah I'm quite often a passenger in my mate's van and I like the visibility being sat above traffic. Plus I've driven small hatchbacks and other road users just treat you like shit.

It's one of the lesser terrible looking ones but still don't really fancy one, plus my next door neighbour drives one and he's well into his 80's, puts me off a bit haha

My Dad is nearer to 80 than 70, it must be said.

Being high up is definitely the in thing at the minute, hence all the Qashqais, Sportages, Tiguans, Ecosports etc etc.

We'll end up with a car like this I'm sure, but I'm not sure the elevation is worth the crapper handling over their hatchback equivalents

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My Dad is nearer to 80 than 70, it must be said.

Being high up is definitely the in thing at the minute, hence all the Qashqais, Sportages, Tiguans, Ecosports etc etc.

We'll end up with a car like this I'm sure, but I'm not sure the elevation is worth the crapper handling over their hatchback equivalents

I ride a motorbike most of the time so I'm not that bothered about handling or top speed, just something practical really. Also don't mind about fuel consumption too much as I'll probably only be doing 2-3,000 miles a year in it

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Hilarious. 

It is a concrete fact that a number of road users do treat you according to the car you drive. 

In my old mini, the people that have pulled out in front of you, etc etc is unreal. To the point that you really have to be careful driving it and be aware of irrational behaviour.

But I drive another car that people love, and you get let out, give way etc to a level totally opposite that of the mini. Really really weird

Anyone had a new shape Honda Civic? Looked at some Kias last week but I wasn't blown away by the Sportage, the C'eed was nice but too small and the Stonic was just plain weird looking. Quite like the look of the Civic but not sure about the 1.0l / 1.5l engines.

On 21/06/2018 at 19:04, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Well I'm after a car, and I fancy a small 4x4 so I did a load of research and decided a Honda CR-V or a Nissan X-Trail would be the way to go as a decent used buy

Spent the last week trawling through Autotrader and eBay making a shortlist of decent looking used buys and had the day off work to go look at a few with my dad (who spent 20 years as a mechanic in his old profession, and is great at spotting things I wouldn't pick up on). Went to go see one in Newark, looked mint on the outside and inside and the engine ran fine. Looked under the bonnet before we went for a test drive and the chassis was covered in rust. And I don't mean a bit of surface corrosion, but full-on rust that was just eating away at the chassis. Dad was astounded that a modern car (particularly a Japanese one) could be that badly prone, and that it had a valid MOT. Binned that off and went to look at 3 more around Birmingham, low and behold 2 of the other ones were rotting underneath, and the other one looked ok but had a bit of bodywork damage and no service history so I had no interest in that. Fvcks sake, complete waste of a day

So in other people's opinion, what's a good used petrol 4x4 that's going to be low maintenance? I've already ruled out RAV4 (too small inside), and Grand Vitara (supposedly a horrible drive, and underpowered). What are Kia Sportages like to own, or Hyundai Tucson or Nissan X-Trail? I'm not that bothered about fuel consumption as I will only do 3,000-4,000 miles per year, and don't mind paying up to the £315 tax band (I draw the line at the £540 band, that takes the absolute piss)

I had CRV's for years - they were great, would highly recommend them. 

None the ones I had ever had any problems mechanically, and they were plenty big enough for family needs.

Buy the best one you can for your budget and you'll be fine.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Anyone had a new shape Honda Civic? Looked at some Kias last week but I wasn't blown away by the Sportage, the C'eed was nice but too small and the Stonic was just plain weird looking. Quite like the look of the Civic but not sure about the 1.0l / 1.5l engines.

I want my wife to get one but she's set on a fake SUV type thing. I think they look futuristic and quite sexy.

From what I've read the petrol engines are really good. The only thing that put me off it a bit is that the driving position is lower than average, even for a hatchback

6 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

it won't be long before everyone gets a mid-size SUV to be higher up and then everyone will be the same level.

then we'll need a new extra high up SUV and the whole process can start again. 

Related image

This type of term makes me weep. It's a car isn't it?

no. it's a pretty common car term such as hatchback, saloon, etc. it denotes the body shape and size of the car. in this instance it stands for sports utility vehicle and it's size generally means that it's intended for on + semi-off road use and to shove a load of 'sports' related stuff in the boot, for example a bike. an SUV might have anywhere between 5-7 seats, generally. most people do not use it for it's intended purpose and fill it with shitty screaming kids and then put a little sign in the window saying 'dad's taxi' like a total sucker. generally people who have a little bit of extra money buy this type of car these days so they don't have to suffer sitting on the floor like a poor. as far as handling goes most modern SUVs actually tend to be fairly quick and handle relatively well, much like a smaller car would.

the word car covers all different types of four wheeled vehicle that isn't a truck, lorry, van, etc.

hth.