Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Don't like auto's, never in the right gear at the right time.

Also, german cars I've been in often have a really hard ride, good job they are often well built, cos they gonna shake themselves to bits otherwise. Didn't I read that Audi don't recommend the sports suspension in the UK cos they got so many complaints.

And all those sporty Beemers bouncing down the road, though you don't see that as much as you once did.

22 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

There's been a few articles flying around over the past week about this new Ford Fiesta ST: 

Image result for fiesta st 2018

It's out over the summer so it might actually be worth looking at this model once it is.  The new versions of the Fiesta are pants atm.

I may well hold back and see how it fares over the next 12 months with a view to getting one.  The fact that it comes in a 5 door version suits me too.

The lauch control system sounds interesting.  lol

I think Fords have gone a bit downhill really, the company is run by bean counters again, although the fact mine is 15 years old might influence my view. :D

My gf used to have a top of the range 2007 Focus 2.0tdci, and that was mega, apart from the Getrag 6speed gearbox. But once it was in a gear, it was phenomenally good, and really economical.

Going back to petrol is bit of a shocker, always changing gear now, although my current gearbox is the best I have ever used by miles, even if it is old.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:56, Worthington said:

The one we've just committed to is a late 2009 ...(last month of production). It's done 62k with one owner. Tyres come in at around £150 a pair and we had new brakes all round, (discs too) for under £300 on the previous car.  Not dealt with an exhaust yet, but apparently even SS ones aren't bankrupting ! Things like flywheel are expensive, but shouldn't come into play until the mileage gets high!

It's a 'dirty diesel' true, (so not a Jaguar 'purist's dream), but the tax cuts in at £150 pa, which is good .... We did look at an XF, (same vintage, slightly more £££), but the running costs for that were a hell of a lot higher! 

Always been a subscriber to the theory you should buy a 'late' version of a car, once the wrinkles have been ironed out.

Thing about diesels is... do you want folks dying now, thru particulates and NOx, or do you want folks dying in the future, thru CO2. The CO2 efficiency (of new cars) is actually going down at the mo, so the kids will have to sort that out, bless em. :(

When cheap EV's kick in (5-7 years maybe, ish?), they should be cheap enough that leasing new will be cheaper than buying and running older Fossil Fuel powered motors, so we are all in a holding pattern right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove my mates Tesla last week and was very impressed ....   good looking car and well put together ...  glides along beautifully and is so relaxing ...  you have to learn to use the engine to brake  but it helps to improve your driving ...   acceleration is amazing and it’s loaded with technology ...  range about 250 ish and it tells you all the places you can recharge ...   looked superb inside and very comfortable ...   if you’re looking at cars in the £75k to £80k region give it a go ...   he just wanted to see what it was like and was totally sold.    I could drive it all day.

Edited by Countryfox

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Drove my mates Tesla last week and was very impressed ....   good looking car and well put together ...  glides along beautifully and is so relaxing ...  you have to learn to use the engine to brake  but it helps to improve your driving ...   acceleration is amazing and it’s loaded with technology ...  range about 250 ish and it tells you all the places you can recharge ...   looked superb inside and very comfortable ...   if you’re looking at cars in the £75k to £80k region give it a go ...   he just wanted to see what it was like and was totally sold.    I could drive it all day.

Lol. If youve got that kind of cash for a bloody car then any chance you or your mate  need to adopt  a grown-ass man as their son?

Edited by Jattdogg

Mrs works for the NFU now and had an Audi A5 coupe s line,anyone who knows them,knows they aren’t for farm tracks so she has ordered a new car.

showing our ages and definitely not everyone’s cup of tea,but needed something not too flash and a little higher.

went for the new Volvo Xc40 

74DCAD59-BCEA-49EF-90F0-9F3CF2F8ACBB.png

On 14/04/2018 at 22:00, cambridgefox said:

Mrs works for the NFU now and had an Audi A5 coupe s line,anyone who knows them,knows they aren’t for farm tracks so she has ordered a new car.

showing our ages and definitely not everyone’s cup of tea,but needed something not too flash and a little higher.

went for the new Volvo Xc40 

74DCAD59-BCEA-49EF-90F0-9F3CF2F8ACBB.png

New Volvos all look gangsta AF.

go on then

Got a VW Golf mkIV 2.3l V5 recently. It's pretty old - 16 years, but only done 35k. Mint. I absolutely bloody love it, and love it a bit more every time I drive it. I had been driving a 1.0l Lupo for years before, so just being able to overtake is a huge bonus.

It's pretty thirsty if you thrash it (around 23 mpg), but not too bad if driven sensibly (nearly 40 mpg), the tax and insurance is more than I'm used to, but just the sound it makes means it's worth every penny to me.

Surprised to read all the positive comments about automatics. I can't see myself ever owning one, unless I lose my left foot. I know they're more economical these days, but I'll never be able to shake the image I have of them. I've always thought they were for people who were unable to drive a proper car, people who didn't enjoy driving, or people who were just downright lazy. The only time I ever think I'd like a slushbox is when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time heading uphill. Other than that, I want to be able to pick the gear. I want to be able to test the economical or acceleration limits of the car.

Are all you pro-automatics over 50? Do you enjoy driving? Do you own slippers? Care to defend yourselves?

I've always thought automatics have about as much cred as fuching Coldplay, and I can't see that ever changing.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Got a VW Golf mkIV 2.3l V5 recently. It's pretty old - 16 years, but only done 35k. Mint. I absolutely bloody love it, and love it a bit more every time I drive it. I had been driving a 1.0l Lupo for years before, so just being able to overtake is a huge bonus.

It's pretty thirsty if you thrash it (around 23 mpg), but not too bad if driven sensibly (nearly 40 mpg), the tax and insurance is more than I'm used to, but just the sound it makes means it's worth every penny to me.

Surprised to read all the positive comments about automatics. I can't see myself ever owning one, unless I lose my left foot. I know they're more economical these days, but I'll never be able to shake the image I have of them. I've always thought they were for people who were unable to drive a proper car, people who didn't enjoy driving, or people who were just downright lazy. The only time I ever think I'd like a slushbox is when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time heading uphill. Other than that, I want to be able to pick the gear. I want to be able to test the economical or acceleration limits of the car.

Are all you pro-automatics over 50? Do you enjoy driving? Do you own slippers? Care to defend yourselves?

I've always thought automatics have about as much cred as fuching Coldplay, and I can't see that ever changing.

I'm mid forties so not quite in your 'over 50' bracket yet :P

Personally, I couldn't give a shit about street cred and image any more. That disappeared years ago when I got married and had kids :(

I am downright lazy so that plays a big part in me owning an automatic. I also hate driving more and more as I get older, so give me the easy option every time please.

Some auto's have a manual override and mine has a sports mode where you can nudge the stick up and down to change gear if you want. I think I've used it twice in 10 years just to see what the acceleration is really like and to impress my kids that I'm a cool Dad :thumbup:

And yes I do own a nice comfy pair of slippers. I get a new pair every Xmas :cool:

• Haha 1

All my previous cars have been manual but the car I really wanted last year was an automatic. I’ve had it just under a year now & I've got to say I don’t think I would ever go back to a manual. 

It’s got a Sports mode so whenever I want to overtake drop it down into Sports mode foot down and it just pulls. At the traffic lights want to get ahead of anyone again down into sports mode foot down and there’s not much on the road that beats it off the line.

If I’m bored knock it across and use the triptonic gearbox. Regarding the “cred” you’ll struggle to find most high end cars that don’t have an auto gearbox. 

Edited by Steve_Walsh5
  • Like 1

Someone borrowed my pick up the other day and said they were embarrassed driving it cus it has green growing all over it ...   its never been cleaned in all the years I've owned it and only gets an internal clear out when all the food wrappers build up too much ...   it does however get serviced every year and has never let me down.   The cheeky fooker won't be borrowing it again ...  some people ! 

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm mid forties so not quite in your 'over 50' bracket yet :P

Personally, I couldn't give a shit about street cred and image any more. That disappeared years ago when I got married and had kids :(

I am downright lazy so that plays a big part in me owning an automatic. I also hate driving more and more as I get older, so give me the easy option every time please.

Some auto's have a manual override and mine has a sports mode where you can nudge the stick up and down to change gear if you want. I think I've used it twice in 10 years just to see what the acceleration is really like and to impress my kids that I'm a cool Dad :thumbup:

And yes I do own a nice comfy pair of slippers. I get a new pair every Xmas :cool:

lol  I think age may be a big factor in becoming a convert. There's 3 middle-aged blokes I know who either own or want an auto, who I know or am sure would have never dreamt of driving one years ago. Maybe the same fate awaits me, although I can't imagine it right now.

I think the manual override thing should appeal to me. I know that thinking logically, that is more or less a manual. It's just not the same in my mind, though.

55 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

All my previous cars have been manual but the car I really wanted last year was an automatic. I’ve had it just under a year now & I've got to say I don’t think I would ever go back to a manual. 

It’s got a Sports mode so whenever I want to overtake drop it down into Sports mode foot down and it just pulls. At the traffic lights want to get ahead of anyone again down into sports mode foot down and there’s not much on the road that beats it off the line.

If I’m bored knock it across and use the triptonic gearbox. Regarding the “cred” you’ll struggle to find most high end cars that don’t have an auto gearbox. 

I'm aware of this. It does nothing to change my mind, though. It's very much like when everyone was walking round with their arse hanging out their trousers, looking like they've soiled themselves, while also making them look like they've got stubby little legs. It just makes me sure that I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I'd honestly sooner have a classic car with a manual gearbox than a brand new automatic.

I did borrow a Toyota Rav4 automatic while I was repairing my last car. While it was easy and comfortable, I just didn't find it fun at all. I occasionally drive just for the sake of it, but I never felt compelled when I was borrowing that, even though the engine was twice the size of my own car's.

I really enjoy driving. I see changing gear as part of it, and I want to do it myself. I'm concerned that if we give the inch of control of the gearbox over to the machines, they'll take the mile of doing the whole shabang themselves. Are we willing to place our lives in the hands of a little piece of silicon? There be dragons. Mark my words.

Edited by Raw Dykes

I never really bother looking at the manual until I am about to get rid, then realise it had stuff on I didn’t know about.

Too much stuff on them these days, my current and previous car parked itself and had that thing on where it would break on the motorway if a car was in front. You only have to use the steering wheel.

The stress of using these things is worse than not having them, rending them virtually pointless. 

They are all getting a bit too complicated. 

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I had my engine warning light come on but disappeared the next day. 

Is it worth taking in for diagnosis or can I ignore it? I've read that it could just be air in the tank or something. 

Ignore it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I had my engine warning light come on but disappeared the next day. 

Is it worth taking in for diagnosis or can I ignore it? I've read that it could just be air in the tank or something. 

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ignore it.

Yep. If it stays off just ignore it. But a word of warning. The engine warning light being on is being introduced as a failure under MOT test guidelines from May this year. Before it was just an advisory notice.

28 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yep. If it stays off just ignore it. But a word of warning. The engine warning light being on is being introduced as a failure under MOT test guidelines from May this year. Before it was just an advisory notice.

Cheers mate.

Thought It could just be ignored, but I like to panick. Especially with cars. 

Cheers for the MOT warning, I never knew that.