Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

25 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I am in a position where I might be getting a new job that would include a car. I haven’t had a company car before. Can anyone please advice how it works with tax etc? I want to make sure I get myself the best possible deal. I hear it might be better getting a petrol over a diesel. 

Fingers crossed. What would your new job be?

Things such as CO2 emissions during use, how regularly you'd use it, brand/model of the vehicle and the level of fuel you'll use are the main considerations with regards to how much tax you'd pay.

Your company would, at the end of the year iirc, give you a P11D form - that lists the benefits you used from the car and the expenses that you have used on it.

I presume your prospective employer will pay for the fuel themselves, meaning that as this will be a separate tax aspect - you'd have to pay the fuel tax as well.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Fingers crossed. What would your new job be?

Things such as CO2 emissions during use, how regularly you'd use itl brand/model of the vehicle and the level of fuel you'll use are the main considerations with regards to how much you pay.

Your company would, at the end of the year iirc, give you a P11D form - that lists the benefits you used from the car and the expenses that you have used on it.

I presume your prospective employer will pay for the fuel themselves, meaning that as this will be a separate tax aspect - you'd have to pay the fuel tax as well.

It would be within the same company but just on the road 4 times a week. Currently I am out one or two but use my own car. 

I would have a fuel card so would be tax on this too? 

Thanks mate 

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I suggest a red car ...   which was the colour of my first company car ...  and when my girlfriends ex boyfriend  smashed her flat door in to rip my head off and unfortunately gashed his arm very badly in doing so,  the blood that squirted all over the bonnet of my car, that was parked just outside the front door,  blended in quite nicely ! ...    :thumbup:

Mate wtf is this wymes has put you to shame with his impressive response lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

typical from you just piss off mate

@mods thought there was something introduced about no nasty posts allowed? This guy is slipping through the net. Can we have an update on the t’s and c’s? 

Ta

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

It would be within the same company but just on the road 4 times a week. Currently I am out one or two but use my own car. 

I would have a fuel card so would be tax on this too? 

Thanks mate 

Yes.

Tax should be calculated monthly by your employer, but it could take the company longer to tell the tax people that you're using it. Hence, it's advised that you tell them yourself that you're using a fuel card not too long after you first use one, for both correct tax purposes and saves you some money in the long run (instead of telling them months after, and the tax mounts up etc).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Mate wtf is this wymes has put you to shame with his impressive response lol

You may scoff Una but when I had to get up early and use the car on company business the following morning I did NOT have to waste time washing the car and only had to wait for the rain to do the job a few days later ...     so there !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2018 at 20:19, Unabomber said:

I am in a position where I might be getting a new job that would include a car. I haven’t had a company car before. Can anyone please advice how it works with tax etc? I want to make sure I get myself the best possible deal. I hear it might be better getting a petrol over a diesel. 

I’ve got a company car.

Tax is worked out on CO2 emissions and brand new car value.

The Audi you want might cost you a bit mate.

My Audi A4 only costs me about £90 pm and I get tax,mot,services,tyres etc so a bargain,I put fuel on my own card and log business miles and get 11p per mile.

Will try and find the tax calculator for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

I’ve got a company car.

Tax is worked out on CO2 emissions and brand new car value.

The Audi you want might cost you a bit mate.

My Audi A4 only costs me about £90 pm and I get tax,mot,services,tyres etc so a bargain,I put fuel on my own card and log business miles and get 11p per mile.

Will try and find the tax calculator for you.

Thanks mate it looks like I have the job so will be getting a company car. I currently have a bmw 120d so want something as quick etc but obv can’t go mad with it being a company car. Just not sure how it works. I currently get 45p per mile in my own car so want to make sure it makes sense to take the company car. 

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks mate it looks like I have the job so will be getting a company car. I currently have a bmw 120d so want something as quick etc but obv can’t go mad with it being a company car. Just not sure how it works. I currently get 45p per mile in my own car so want to make sure it makes sense to take the company car. 

4A762780-575D-4AF7-84E3-3A6F50F21FB4.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

The Benefit in kind is also added to your wages so effects your tax code eg let’s say you earn ??? Add that 16k on it for tax code!

• Like 1