Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

15 minutes ago, Adster said:

Had the survey done on our house we're buying and the fascias, soffitts and guttering are knackered. Vendors have offered a reduction of £1,500. However, I have been quoted £3,500 for the work! 

I asked for a reduction of £3,000, they've countered it at £2,000 reduction. 

We're buying a 3 bed detached. Has anyone had replacement fascias, soffitts and guttering recently and could confirm if a quote of £3,500 is off the mark? 

https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/fascia-soffit-guttering-replacement-cost/

7 minutes ago, danny. said:

Tradesmen just name their price at the moment, best to leave it until next year if you can. I was quoted 12k to relay a patio last week, which is about 4-5 days work tops.

12k is a joke. Plenty of YouTube videos around that make it possible to do it yourself and save yourself 10k. Not easy obviously and depending on circumstances.

1 hour ago, danny. said:

Tradesmen just name their price at the moment, best to leave it until next year if you can. I was quoted 12k to relay a patio last week, which is about 4-5 days work tops.

I had a chap quote for some ‘cash’ work doing some landscaping on a weekend (he works for a company M-F as a landscaper). He quoted £5000 for his 6 days labour. I politely declined.

3 hours ago, deejdeej said:

12k is a joke. Plenty of YouTube videos around that make it possible to do it yourself and save yourself 10k. Not easy obviously and depending on circumstances.

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I had a chap quote for some ‘cash’ work doing some landscaping on a weekend (he works for a company M-F as a landscaper). He quoted £5000 for his 6 days labour. I politely declined.

Yea it’s bonkers. I will be doing it myself, but we both work full time and could do without the hassle as the whole house needs renovating, but not a millionaire! We did a much smaller patio at the end of the garden a couple of months ago and that took me and my wife a weekend, and we were quoted £4000 for that! Looks fine too TBH!

8 hours ago, Adster said:

Had the survey done on our house we're buying and the fascias, soffitts and guttering are knackered. Vendors have offered a reduction of £1,500. However, I have been quoted £3,500 for the work! 

I asked for a reduction of £3,000, they've countered it at £2,000 reduction. 

We're buying a 3 bed detached. Has anyone had replacement fascias, soffitts and guttering recently and could confirm if a quote of £3,500 is off the mark? 

Im at the other end , we had our report from buyers come in today and it says we need new main roof , new side roof , new flat roof , some new guttering , lead flashing , chimney pointing I knew the roof was needed but not everything else. They’ve knocked 10k off the agreed price but willing to negotiate so just sent details to mate who’s a roofer. Hopefully we can meet in the middle somewhere. 

Edited by grth2004

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this earlier. Look at the state of it. 

£750p/m.

Is this how bad it's gotten now in the south east? They're not even bothering to fit front doors anymore?

Fvcking scum landlords squeezing "properties" into any old fvcking space and charging absurd rent. 

The whole system is broken. 

784807262_ScreenShot2021-08-02at3_43_42PM.png.87d72cd72bb42347a1eab9eda545ca08.png

(edit: Reddit is absolutely incensed by it and the original estate agent - Wex and Co - website has been taken offline lol

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

I’m moving on Friday to our new house and have a random question. We were on holiday last week so missed the recycling collection. Do I need to empty it or just leave it?

Depends on your buyers but I think I would try to empty it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah thinking about it I wouldn’t want to deal with that shit in my new house. I’ll empty it.

It’s amazing but most people won’t. I know someone who turned up with their deliver truck, opened the door and the family were cooking their dinner and had yet to start packing lol. I’d have lost it.

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

As in professionally or just give it a wipe?

Nah you want to do a proper job of it. You can get one of them kits where you put the grills in a plastic bag with the solution but getting a man in will make it like brand new. I got left a right grim one so don't underestimate how dirty they get.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just give it a wipe mate, you will have enough to sort out and I think generally people expect to be doing that themselves.

Cheers made a bit of a mess tonight cooking some fish on the wire rack so gave it a bit of a clean. Also stuff like notifying people like DVLA on change of address can I do that once in the new house? Sorry about all the questions I prob should’ve thought about this shit earlier.

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Nah you want to do a proper job of it. You can get one of them kits where you put the grills in a plastic bag with the solution but getting a man in will make it like brand new. I got left a right grim one so don't underestimate how dirty they get.

Mate I ain’t got time for sticking my oven bits in plastics bags with solutions. Sorry you had a bad time with your oven.

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Saw this earlier. Look at the state of it. 

£750p/m.

Is this how bad it's gotten now in the south east? They're not even bothering to fit front doors anymore?

Fvcking scum landlords squeezing "properties" into any old fvcking space and charging absurd rent. 

The whole system is broken. 

784807262_ScreenShot2021-08-02at3_43_42PM.png.87d72cd72bb42347a1eab9eda545ca08.png

(edit: Reddit is absolutely incensed by it and the original estate agent - Wex and Co - website has been taken offline lol

A guy called Joel Golby writes a piece in vice magazine online called london rental property of the week. He has done loads and theres some absolute belters.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cheers made a bit of a mess tonight cooking some fish on the wire rack so gave it a bit of a clean. Also stuff like notifying people like DVLA on change of address can I do that once in the new house? Sorry about all the questions I prob should’ve thought about this shit earlier.

Get a mail redirection for now to your new address while you go through the pain of contacting your providers on your change of address: 

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection#top

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I’m moving on Friday to our new house and have a random question. We were on holiday last week so missed the recycling collection. Do I need to empty it or just leave it?

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Depends on your buyers but I think I would try to empty it.

Definitely polite to empty it, especially if you've nice buyers. 

(We decided we'd be leaving both of ours full... and that was before the threats, aggressive behaviour and abuse from our buyer on move day). 

Also a good idea to have a box with the kettle, cups, plates and cutlery in the car. And spare clothes. 

Take photos of your meter readings. 

5 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Definitely polite to empty it, especially if you've nice buyers. 

(We decided we'd be leaving both of ours full... and that was before the threats, aggressive behaviour and abuse from our buyer on move day). 

Also a good idea to have a box with the kettle, cups, plates and cutlery in the car. And spare clothes. 

Take photos of your meter readings. 

That’s not good, what happened with your buyers? You all back in Leicester now mate?

12 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s not good, what happened with your buyers? You all back in Leicester now mate?

The removal people were a man down so were behind with the removals on day 2. We advised our agent to delay the key handover by a couple of hours. Buyers arrived at the original scheduled time, went ballistic and spent the next 2 hours being aggressive and abusive to us. Threatening us and following us around the house. We weren't sat having dinner lol, all packed, just a case of loading the lorry with the final boxes and stuff. 

So no guilt about those bins :whistle:

Happily back here now. Just initiated operation renovation :D

Edited by FoyleFox