Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 24/06/2021 at 11:03, Leicester_Loyal said:

Completion date of 23rd/24th July has been put forward, just waiting to hear back. That's only 4 weeks away ffs, dreading actually growing up lol

Still heard nothing back ffs, been over a week :frusty:

Only positives are an extra week or two at home means I'll get paid again before I move out :D

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Only positives are an extra week or two at home means I'll get paid again before I move out :D

Expect this week was manic in Solicitor land with the stamp duty holiday ending, your transaction wouldn't have been on the agenda. It's still realistic to think you'll be completing 23/24th, it'll happen very quickly once you get everyone onboard, and it's agreed to go ahead.

1 minute ago, FoyleFox said:

Expect this week was manic in Solicitor land with the stamp duty holiday ending, your transaction wouldn't have been on the agenda. It's still realistic to think you'll be completing 23/24th, it'll happen very quickly once you get everyone onboard, and it's agreed to go ahead.

Yeah I said this earlier in the week, mine will have been on the backburner. Hopefully I'll hear by mid next week. The vendors I'm buying from need to exchange contracts 7 days before the moving date due to their removal company needing a week notice (they're moving to Scotland so it's a big job). So realistically I need to hear from them by the end of next week if 23rd/24th is gonna be the day.

Still, I'm getting excited!

• Like 2

A random question here.   We have just got our mortgage in principle sorted and viewed our first house yesterday.  

However we are also first time parents of a seven weeks old baby and brought him along to the viewing.   We normally would have given him to our family for baby sitting but none of them were able to on this occasion. 

Do you think this would be off putting to sellers or agents as they might have doubted our ability to prioritise paperwork etc during conveyancing process due to having a young baby? 

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

A random question here.   We have just got our mortgage in principle sorted and viewed our first house yesterday.  

However we are also first time parents of a seven weeks old baby and brought him along to the viewing.   We normally would have given him to our family for baby sitting but none of them were able to on this occasion. 

Do you think this would be off putting to sellers or agents as they might have doubted our ability to prioritise paperwork etc during conveyancing process due to having a young baby? 

That really would be a first world problem and pathetic if someone thought that way.  I wouldn't worry about it. If they did, i would drive over to their house mid dinner and drop my childs shit on their front lawn. Lol.

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

That really would be a first world problem and pathetic if someone thought that way.  I wouldn't worry about it. If they did, i would drive over to their house mid dinner and drop my childs shit on their front lawn. Lol.

Not if I want to buy that lawn :p

I just thought it would be an interesting hypothetical question for the sellers on here especially as reading this thread it appears that anything goes in the housing market and anything could happen!

I had a cousin who bought a house only to discover the seller has not even packed up and were lounging in the garden with some company.   My cousin ended up helping out with the packing!

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

If I was selling and someone came to view my house with a tiny baby I'd think it would be really sweet to sell to them, I'd love the idea of a baby growing up in my old house, especially if it was where my children had grown up. 

So no, it certainly wouldn't put me off as a seller, quite the opposite :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

If you're selling a family orientated property surely you'd be expecting families to view? 

I can't imagine sellers or agents thinking you're not capable of completing the relevant paperwork due to having a baby. As stated by Deb, lots of people would love that they're passing their house to a new family. 

Had we been conducting our own viewings I would've hated viewers arriving with kids but that's just because I find them highly annoying. Fortunately our agent did all our viewings and the Covid viewing rules prevented families arriving en-masse :)

• Like 1

Has the world gone mad?

My eldest son's been looking for a property, a house came on the market at the weekend at a high price, we discussed it yesterday and phoned to arrange a viewing today only to be told by the agent that there had already been 15 viewings and multiple offers and the vendor was in the process of selecting the buyer!

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

Has the world gone mad?

My eldest son's been looking for a property, a house came on the market at the weekend at a high price, we discussed it yesterday and phoned to arrange a viewing today only to be told by the agent that there had already been 15 viewings and multiple offers and the vendor was in the process of selecting the buyer!

Sadly by the time they come onto RightMove and other websites they'll already have a few viewings organised. I honestly don't envy anyone looking for a house, it was the most stressful 12 month period of my life, just hope mine completes in the next few weeks without any hiccups.

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

Has the world gone mad?

I saw a nice 3 bed semi, 1 bath, okish kitchen, lounge dinner and decent garden all for the price of £375k. Three hundred and seventy five thousand pounds. WTF. There use to be a time when spending that amount would buy you your forever home.  How many within the age bracket a house like that would appeal could afford that. When I say afford meaning pay the mortgage and still enjoy life with a bit of saving on the side. It’s a mad world. 

It is pretty much a year to date where we were looking to move and had an offer accepted. We sold ours within 48 hours (had viewings within an hour of putting it Live and both viewings on Day 1 met the asking price). When we were looking for places it was hit and miss but we pretty much kept coming back to one of them and moved there in October (how stressful that all was).

I have just browsed out of interest and the prices have risen significantly. The budget we were looking at back then has next to no houses of our description right now and judging by Zoopla house price estimations (taken with a pinch of salt), ours is now apparently worth 10% more than when we bought it. Even though it was tricky when we bought, sounds like now is even worse.

Quick question - solicitors are being useless and chasing for searches but somewhere down the line It seems we aren’t having a home buyers survey , I remember it being mentioned but can’t remember who , does anyone know who usually offers this search is it the solicitors, estate agents, mortgage advisor?

7 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Quick question - solicitors are being useless and chasing for searches but somewhere down the line It seems we aren’t having a home buyers survey , I remember it being mentioned but can’t remember who , does anyone know who usually offers this search is it the solicitors, estate agents, mortgage advisor?

It's the mortgage lender that usually gets someone to do it. They want at least a valuation doing to make sure the thing you're borrowing against is what it says it is. A basic valuation probably doesn't even involve someone even going to physically see it now.

You choose whether this will do or if you want to pay more for a home buyers report or full structural when you apply for the mortgage, usually

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's the mortgage lender that usually gets someone to do it. They want at least a valuation doing to make sure the thing you're borrowing against is what it says it is. A basic valuation probably doesn't even involve someone even going to physically see it now.

You choose whether this will do or if you want to pay more for a home buyers report or full structural when you apply for the mortgage, usually

Yeah thanks , everyone is telling me that the mortgage lender has done one and I should have a copy as they have accepted us but can’t see it. Just realising that nobody is doing a full search for us so going to look for a decent homebuyers survey company to do it. 

4 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Yeah thanks , everyone is telling me that the mortgage lender has done one and I should have a copy as they have accepted us but can’t see it. Just realising that nobody is doing a full search for us so going to look for a decent homebuyers survey company to do it. 

Unless the property is nearly new, I'd pay for a home buyers report, deffo.

If nothing else it tells you what you need to keep an eye on and help plan for when you might need to fix stuff. I've only ever known one person have a full structural, but the properties he was trying to buy were proper ancient

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Unless the property is nearly new, I'd pay for a home buyers report, deffo.

If nothing else it tells you what you need to keep an eye on and help plan for when you might need to fix stuff. I've only ever known one person have a full structural, but the properties he was trying to buy were proper ancient

Great thanks yeah I’ll get one sorted tomorrow, just one of those things I thought someone else was sorting. So used to paying people to sort everything that one got by me 

On 04/07/2021 at 08:21, FoxesDeb said:

If I was selling and someone came to view my house with a tiny baby I'd think it would be really sweet to sell to them, I'd love the idea of a baby growing up in my old house, especially if it was where my children had grown up. 

So no, it certainly wouldn't put me off as a seller, quite the opposite :)

On 04/07/2021 at 08:37, FoyleFox said:

If you're selling a family orientated property surely you'd be expecting families to view? 

I can't imagine sellers or agents thinking you're not capable of completing the relevant paperwork due to having a baby. As stated by Deb, lots of people would love that they're passing their house to a new family. 

Had we been conducting our own viewings I would've hated viewers arriving with kids but that's just because I find them highly annoying. Fortunately our agent did all our viewings and the Covid viewing rules prevented families arriving en-masse :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  I think it's like what I initially said the housing market is unpredictable and can throw anything at you given the contrast between two responses (whom both are equally valid)!

56 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  I think it's like what I initially said the housing market is unpredictable and can throw anything at you given the contrast between two responses (whom both are equally valid)!

Generally, as a seller your main focus is someone paying the asking price. Although in todays competitive market I dose you can be more choosy about which offer you accept. 

7 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I have just browsed out of interest and the prices have risen significantly. The budget we were looking at back then has next to no houses of our description right now and judging by Zoopla house price estimations (taken with a pinch of salt), ours is now apparently worth 10% more than when we bought it. Even though it was tricky when we bought, sounds like now is even worse.

We had our offer accepted early February, we kept looking at listings in case anything went awry and absolutely nothing came up which was remotely comparable to the one we've bought in our budget range. I've still had the zoopla alert emails coming through and it's far worse now. I've seen a couple of 3 and 4 bed bungalows recently, smaller than we've bought and priced £80k higher!!

So after the Homebuyer survey stage which I’ve now found someone to do next week 

I need to get all my insurances sorted like building insurance 

life insurance 

just wondered if anyone had found some good deals on these 

20 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

So after the Homebuyer survey stage which I’ve now found someone to do next week 

I need to get all my insurances sorted like building insurance 

life insurance 

just wondered if anyone had found some good deals on these 

Just use a couple of comparison sites. They will vary from postcode, size, past claims, lifestyle etc. With insurance, 1 person can get a great deal with a company, but the next person will enter slightly different info, and get different prices.

With insurance, it is always recommended to sort out well in advance (1 month ideally), as prices will go up the closer to the start / renewal date you get.

Never leave renewals to the last minute - you will pay more.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 01:39, The Blur said:

Probably not. Although when I was selling one of the viewers was a bit of a snob Middle Aged woman who, amongst other comments, said “you’ve really let the garden go a bit haven’t you” and so I rejected her offer of £2.5k over asking price and sold to someone much nicer for asking price :) I just assumed she’d be too much hassle and stress to deal with during the process and I didn’t like her

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 16:25, Leicester_Loyal said:

2 weeks since my completion date was put forward and I've heard absolutely nothing back.

Solicitors haven't responded to my emails for over a week and everytime I ring I just get they're not at their desks. I get they're busy but come on ffs, I need an update if I've meant to be moving in 15 days time lol

3 hours ago, DB11 said:

Probably not. Although when I was selling one of the viewers was a bit of a snob Middle Aged woman who, amongst other comments, said “you’ve really let the garden go a bit haven’t you” and so I rejected her offer of £2.5k over asking price and sold to someone much nicer for asking price :) I just assumed she’d be too much hassle and stress to deal with during the process and I didn’t like her

I let go of £5k as the higher offer were already hassling about getting in before Xmas…. The lower offer was far more flexible….  I couldn’t be doing with that stress, so, went with the one who was going to give me an easier ride…. My instincts were good and they were really easy to deal with…

it’s not always higher offer wins…. I was very careful she making my offer to let them know that we’d be patient with their inwards purchase….

A real lesson to note for those making offers…. Have a think about what the owner of your prospective new house my need from you…. It’s not just reddies when there is a chain!