Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

The wife is fuming with me, it seems a late credit card payment by me has halted our mortgage application. We hoping to move over the summer holidays for the kids schools but might have to wait until October. 

Im well and truly in the dog house now. :huh:

Edited by Strokes

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

The wife is fuming with me, it seems a late credit card payment by me has halted our mortgage application. We hoping to move over the summer holidays for the kids schools but might have to wait until October. 

Im well and truly in the dog house now. :huh:

Guess you got get back to tasting her ham again. You know that thing you did before kids were around lol

We are looking for our next move and mannn its a process. For our first home (which we live in now), it was a hot market so we bought a place in a good location (somewhat busy and close to everything) that would have good resale value with a good layout etc .

Now that we have 2 kids we want a quiet street with more space and layout is key for us. We spend a huge amount of time in the kitchen cooking etc so massive kitchen with lots of counter and cupboard space is desired. Im willing to gut a kitchen and redo it my way but then the house price needs to be less.

The good thing is these are all wants and not needs. Clearly we are  managing at the moment so not rushing our next purchase. 

11 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Guess you got get back to tasting her ham again. You know that thing you did before kids were around lol

We are looking for our next move and mannn its a process. For our first home (which we live in now), it was a hot market so we bought a place in a good location (somewhat busy and close to everything) that would have good resale value with a good layout etc .

Now that we have 2 kids we want a quiet street with more space and layout is key for us. We spend a huge amount of time in the kitchen cooking etc so massive kitchen with lots of counter and cupboard space is desired. Im willing to gut a kitchen and redo it my way but then the house price needs to be less.

The good thing is these are all wants and not needs. Clearly we are  managing at the moment so not rushing our next purchase. 

Yeah that sounds very similar to our situation really, just looking for a better family home. Oh well I guess we will have to wait, the financial adviser has just asked us if we want a subprime mortgage but it doesn't seem like a sensible option to me.

Edited by Strokes

We also need to move house. Been in this one 14 years but the kids are growing up and we need more space. The step up from our 3 bed semi to a 4 bed detached is massive around here. It's about £500k for what we want and that means a huge mortgage until my 70's. Might end up having to move back home to Leicestershire! :o

23 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

We also need to move house. Been in this one 14 years but the kids are growing up and we need more space. The step up from our 3 bed semi to a 4 bed detached is massive around here. It's about £500k for what we want and that means a huge mortgage until my 70's. Might end up having to move back home to Leicestershire! :o

When i do the cdn $ to £ conversion im in the same boat in terms of £500k for a detach 4 bedroom in my area. Dont think id be mortgaged until 70s but definitely 60 lol. Its insane. Another reason why we arent rushing. May look to another area but same time dont want to be too far from work and less time with kids. So much to ponder.  

40 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Crikey £500k, that won't be an easy mortgage to get when you are self employed. You'll have to run everything through the books legit to stand a chance. :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

When i do the cdn $ to £ conversion im in the same boat in terms of £500k for a detach 4 bedroom in my area. Dont think id be mortgaged until 70s but definitely 60 lol. Its insane. Another reason why we arent rushing. May look to another area but same time dont want to be too far from work and less time with kids. So much to ponder.  

So much to ponder indeed. The schools are fantastic around here and the kids are well settled. The wife can commute to London and it's perfect really. Don't really want to move to a cheaper area but might have to in order to get a bigger place. Big dilemmas all round...

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Crikey £500k, that won't be an easy mortgage to get when you are self employed. You'll have to run everything through the books legit to stand a chance. :ph34r:

That's the other problem mate. I got an independent mortgage advisor to look into it and only certain lenders will entertain the likes of me. And their interest rates are a piss take compared to the norm. One of the downsides to self empowerment I guess...

On 26/07/2017 at 14:46, Adster said:

Thanks a lot for the advice. House wise we only really have been looking at the structure as that cannot easily be changed without professionals coming in. We also do not want a house in a urban location etc. It's just a shame that within our price range not a lot seem to come up at the moment. Hopefully it'll pick up shortly.

One other thing for current homeowners - did you only look on Rightmove/Zoopla or did you also go to the estate agents? I just naturally assume currently that they'd put all properties on rightmove/zoopla, as it would make little sense not to.

I think it's because of the Crescent being built in Hinckley. I personally think the Crescent is terrible but I've seen houses close to the Crescent at very high prices. I'd love to stay in Burbage but it's impossible for us to afford a decent house here! :P We have broadened our search to Stanton/Sapcote/Outskirts of Nuneaton. The missus has totally ruled out Barwell/Earl Shilton although houses there are dirt cheap and I think the new estates would be nice and peaceful (and also mostly not anywhere near the center of each place!).

I found that houses appeared on the estate agents own website sometimes before they did on rightmove. If someone is looking there and you aren't it might give them a head start.

Show your face at a few estate agents, tell them what you're after and ask them to let you know if there is anything coming up like that. It might make the difference between you being first in the door and tenth.

View lots of houses, to start with we were just looking at rightmove and it was taking forever. Actually going and seeing the houses made it much easier to imagine what it could be like, looking at photos I tended to just judge it on others crap decor.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Adster said:

Anyone know if Glen Parva is a nice place? I live the other side of Leicester so I have no idea :ph34r:

Some nice bits some not so nice bits, depends where really. You could end up next to the eyres monsell, which is an old council estate and has a few choice residents. Ditto if you are too close to south wigston. Im in that neck of the woods.

23 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

What was wrong with Lutterworth in the old days mate? Come home!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

What was wrong with Lutterworth in the old days mate? Come home!

:)

Nothing wrong with Lutterworth mate, I loved it there. Had do move down south for work in '02 and ended up staying, having kids and setting here.

We still come back about once a month to see family but it's changed so much over the years. I can't believe the Cavalier pub is no more - many happy days drinking in there lol

But with house prices down here we might have to move back up to get what we need - never say never I guess!

Hope your really good buddy, I'm so chuffed you ended up doing so well for yourself Geoff :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 12:58, Finnegan said:

I accept if you want to take my advice with a pinch of salt because we actually did a U turn and didn't buy in the end but we got all the way to having an offer accepted and applying for a mortgage and survey etc before hand. 

My biggest piece of advice would be:

People talk a lot of shit, select who you listen to. 

Everyone is an expert on house buying. The second they know you're a first time buyer, out come all the old cliches. People that probably haven't moved houses in twenty years want to tell you all about what you should do and buy. **** them all off. 

Biggest myth of all: "when you find the one, you'll know" or "don't just settle, wait until you find somewhere you really love." Oh **** off. 

It's a pile of bricks with a roof that's either in a shit area or a good one. 

Have an idea of what you're looking for, we knew the specific floor plan we were after, three bed, dining room, living room separate, hall way, kitchen off the dining room, patio out of the dining room. Easy. 

Found stacks of them in LFE and Enderby, didn't "love" any of them just picked the one with the most modern kitchen, newest boiler and the least terrible decorating. 

You walk round someone's house and it's just that - someone's house. It's not yours and it isn't go to be until you change it extensively. 

So keep your expectations sensible, stop being anxious if you don't "love" it - it's just a building. 

Regards time on the market, pretty much all the ones we looked at were taking their sweet time to sell tbh so it probably depends on how in demand the area is. 

We had plenty of time to stop and consider our top four or five choices and by that I'm talking a week or two. 

lol i feel sorry for you in the house buying stakes.

If you want to live in something bland and the 'same' as then follow the above advice.

If however you want to live somewhere that has charm, character and is likely to be the biggest investment you will ever make take the time and care to research every element of the move from postcode location, state of the building, appeal of the house itself, what the area is like in both morning and evening rush hour, school kick out time, local shops. The list is virtually endless.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2017 at 14:34, Izzy Muzzett said:

The step up from our 3 bed semi to a 4 bed detached is massive around here

Same here. I am dabbling with the thought of a self build/kit house.

Anyone done one?

I reckon I could get some land around here for about £250-300k and then build for an other £250k and would end up with something special, new and to my spec.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adster said:

Anyone know if Glen Parva is a nice place? I live the other side of Leicester so I have no idea :ph34r:

Get yourself over me & @Col city fan can confirm it's a nice area. 

Be prepared for the hilarious "what in the prison" joke whenever you say you live in Glen Parva though. 

Decent enough pubs close by in Blaby & Aylestone. Nice parks and plenty of places to go for walks and bike rides if you like that thing. Plenty of buses to go into town and good links to the motorway & Fosse park. 

• Like 1

Our house went on the market on Tuesday and general expectation was that it would be snapped up very quickly. Now Sunday evening and not had a single viewing. So frustrating as we've found a house we like but seller has confirmed that she won't accept any offers until we've accepted an offer on ours. 

in my opinion we've gotta see out a fortnight with it at the current price and then possibly reduce if still no interest. It's a cracking house but unfortunately it's one of those ones where the photos on rightmove do not do it justice at all. I remember when we bought it, I didn't want to view it initially but as soon as we stepped in we were shocked by how big it was inside and I'm confident that if people come through the door, it will quickly go.... it's jus getting them in here!!

fingers crossed for some interest this week! 

21 hours ago, Adster said:

I live in Glen Parva and love it. It's near Fosse Park and the Motorways. The Great Central Way runs right near where I live and you have the river and the canal both a five min walk.

It's brill for buses now they've put the bus lanes in along Lutterworth Road (though a pain for cars I must admit) and you have Blaby on your doorstep.

Edited by Col city fan

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Countesthorpe is very nice especially the new Redrow houses. 

It's worth moving there just to be close to Pizza point for their Chicken & Lamb Shish kebab.

Yep the Redrow houses are pretty decent :).

Ive never been there, worth a visit then?

37 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yep the Redrow houses are pretty decent :).

Ive never been there, worth a visit then?

There is a large variation of prices for housing in Countesthorpe brought about by the new developments and people paying over the odds for them.  As a result everyone in the 90s part of the village are trying their luck in pushing up their asking price.  Two identical houses were on at 250 and 310 respectively.  Guess which one went in a week?

I know people who live there.  It's fine, don't believe all the stories regarding anti social behaviour it's not that bad.  The pizza place is decent but the pubs aren't great.  Dine India is good for curry.

As an aside, I'm not a fan of new houses.  All builders seem to do these days is use the Help to Buy scheme to overcharge customers which further drives over inflated prices in the area.  Take Whetstone and those Strata homes as an example.  The way those places are marketed using Help you Buy as an incentive is ridiculous.  Just gives builders 20% over the market value not 20% the other way which is what they would have you believe.  Also outdoor space can be put on a postage stamp.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

I used to live in Whetstone and like Glen Parva more. I'd feel the same if I lived in Countesthorpe.

The reason is simple... accessibility. Both Whetstone, Countesthorpe, Cosby etc are all smashing villages, but are just a bit too far away from anything. Once you're in Whetstone, you're in Whetstone, type thing.

As I said earlier, the good thing about Glen Parva is being able to get to places dead quickly and easily. Ten mins to town, five to Fosse Park, five to Blaby, good access to the LRI, just round the ring road to the LGH or the Glenfield General etc.

Of course, you can reach these places from further out, but it's just that bit more of a pain imo.

And getting home to Whetstone after a night on the piss in town was always trez expensive in the cab.